• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INFP] Questions for and about INFPs.

dissolved girl

MBTI Type
infx
If you are an INFP:

Sorry: This will be a bit long.

How do you respond to authority figures in your life? Do you generally question authority or are you pretty submissive?
At school I wasn't one to get in trouble very much as I was generally very quiet and I rarely asked questions. I did however get an extreme telling off from a teacher after he told me I gave him a 'look' and that another teacher had claimed I had also given her a 'look'. I guess it was a pretty offensive look for a 9 year old to give. The reason for my look was we were finishing clearing up and he had just asked for silence and I passed something across the table as it wasn't mine and told the girl this. I wasn't intentionally being disruptive but I was in the mind-set of clearing up and hadn't really noticed the silence. The teacher told me off and I was a bit irritated as it seemed rather over the top considering I wasn't being intentionally naughty. The other teacher I'd offended was the music teacher who insisted on always asking the same kid to lead. This kind of pissed me off because I was quite capable and I found the lessons repetitive and boring as I already knew the topic. Anyway, I guess I had an attitude towards her and she noticed.

To sum things up, in general I don't accept a person's authority unless they appear to deserve it. Just because someone has a title I'm not going to respect them and ignore things they do that irritate me or I disagree with. When it comes down to it we're all human. I wouldn't say I have a problem with authority figures in general... but well, credit where credit is due. I wouldn't go out of my way to fight, but I'll happily smile and voice my opinion.

How do you respond to someone talking down to you?
Badly usually. Sometimes I might smile sweetly and make a could be sarcastic...could not be comment.
Are you very emotionally reactive? If so, are you emotionally reactive in public or just with those you are comfortable with?
If it's about my opinions and I feel fairly comfortable then I am emotionally reactive. I can get quite intense in my questioning. If it's something very close to my heart and I'm feeling delicate then you probably won't be aware I'm feeling anything at all. It's hard to tell, certain people make me more reactive, some people I'm very closed around.
Do you need a lot of attention in relationships?
I'm not sure. I need some reassurance. I like to give and receive affection but we all need our own space and I respect that.
Are you really sarcastic?
People call me sarcastic. I've been accused of ALWAYS being sarcastic. To be honest I think it's usually irony, if that. Sometimes people mistake how I genuinely feel for sarcasm. I might suddenly suddenly exclaim "WOW, what a beautiful day eh? the birds are singing, kids playing in the park, and just look at the wasps all over that that overflowing bin". Some people would take that as I don't think the day is beautiful, but really I'd be thinking it is incredibly beautiful, but for some reason I need to add the bin into it.
Are you silly?
Yup. I bought my cat a collar today and tried it on to see how it felt before having trouble getting it off. I'm sure I'm silly.

Were you shy as a child?
Incredibly
Do people mistake your reservedness for aloofness?
Yeah, definately. I've been told before that I can be a bit scary. I can appear to blow very hot and cold too I think. I might be very sociable one second then retreat, especially when I don't know someone well. I think I just need to recharge and regroup but I know it might appear like the person has bored me or that I don't care.
Do you have a hard time expressing yourself verbally?
Sometimes. I can muddle my words up, especially if I'm excited
Have you always felt as though you were at the same mental age as your chronological peers?
I'm not sure, I just felt I had different opinions mostly. I felt a little out of place.
Are you a talented writer?
I wouldn't say so. I struggle constructing sentences. It's slightly unpleasant to try to express what I really mean and feel like I'm failing when inside I know exactly what I mean and how I mean it. Occasionally I've been told I write well but not from anyone I'd believe.
What do you want to be when you grow up (career)?
I'm trained as a type of therapist and it's worth a shot I think. I couldn't carry on if I felt I wasn't any good at it though. I want people to get the best service they can. If I'm not going to be it I don't want to be wasting our time.

scantilyclad

almost nekkid
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
How do you respond to authority figures in your life? Do you generally question authority or are you pretty submissive?

I question Authority, but i am submissive on the outside. I will most likely not say anything to the authority figure, but i will still probably not obey them, or follow their rules behind their backs.

The same way a puppy feels when he's hit over the head with a newspaper for peeing on the carpet.

Are you very emotionally reactive? If so, are you emotionally reactive in public or just with those you are comfortable with?

I am very emotionally reactive. It is usually ONLY with the people i am comfortable with, and usually only comes out when i am VERY upset. Sometimes it happens in public if i get in a heated debate or something.

Not a ton, but i need to know that person feels the same about me as i do about them.

i can be. It is not an all the time sort of thing though, just on occasions.

Are you silly?

Oh dear YES. I am extremely silly. I am always doing something, or saying something that is silly beyond belief.

Were you shy as a child?
I was extremely shy as a child.

I am aloof.

Sometimes. I have to think about things a really long time before i say them if i want them to make any sense to anyone else but myself.

Have you always felt as though you were at the same mental age as your chronological peers?
Some people i've felt are at my mental level, others i have felt are not.

Yeah, i'm a natural writer, but i don't enjoy writing. I'm better at other things.

pshhh. i have NO IDEA. psychologist? philosopher? nurse? I don't know, and i don't want to think about having to settle down with one career for the rest of my life.

ArtlessFuture

MBTI Type
INFP
If you are an INFP:

When I was a kid I was pretty submissive, and as I have gotten older, generally i have become less submissive, but always respectful.

Depends on the situation. If it is someone that is angry and talking down to me, usually I will just overlook it. But if they continue to treat me that way I will definitely do something about it. Generally it pisses me off immediately, there is no easier way to instantly make me mad.

Hmm this is a hard question. I guess you could say that I am. But with ALL emotions, not just anger or sadness. Sometimes I feel the emotion before I really can register the reason or thought behind it. I dont usually let people know all my emotions. Only a select few people know how emotional I really can be.
I wouldn't say that I am needy like that. But if ignored by friends or family I start to wonder if something is wrong.
I can be, but like someone else mentioned I don't really like the mean or biting sarcasm, unless I KNOW that the recipient will take it in good humour.

Are you silly?
Yep
Were you shy as a child?
no, maybe a little

I have no idea. I think I appear pretty friendly and approachable, but I honestly have no clue what others think about that.

Yes sometimes. Especially if I am talking about myself and emotional situations.

NO! I always had friends that were at least 2 years older (and a select few friends my age) but they always had substance and maturity. Also I am an only child, so I spent a lot of time with adults. But, all the other INFPs I know are the same way.

I havent wrote in a long time, but I was always very good at it in school. I definitely have a better time expressing myself with the written word.

lol this is a funny question. My preferred occupation would be a psychologist..but I dont have the devotion to get a doctorate..lol
I also cringe at the thought of doing the same thing for the rest of my life. I get bored w/ jobs easily.

indigo2020

MBTI Type
INFJ
If you are not an INFP:

Do they ever talk too much or too little?
I have a hard time telling the difference between INFP and ISFP sometimes but I think the INFP's who I know talk just the right amount. They talk and they listen and I really like that.

Do they seem stuck up? NO

Do they seem aloof or just quiet and reserved?

They do not seem aloof to me at all. They seem intelligent, thoughtful and respectful. I get along with INFP's better than any other type I think.

Do you think they come off as emotionally unstable? NO

In general, how would you profile a male INFP?

Can't think of any.

In general, how would you profile a female INFP?
Very sensitive, kind and quiet. Will open up if you pay attention, share and ask questions. Very good listeners. Good sense of humor. Calm and peaceful.

What do you think of INFPs as coworkers, subordinates, or authority figures?

I would imagine as co-workers they would be great. Subordiates same. I would think I might have a problem having one as an authority figure because they can be so quiet and I may not be able to talk with them.

How do you view INFPs in romantic relationships?

Only a guess, since I have never been with one, but I would think they are very romantic, loving, generous and sensual.

Mempy

Mamma said knock you out
How do you respond to authority figures in your life?
Do you generally question authority or are you pretty submissive? I generally question authority. If someone's incompetent, I'll know.

When I'm in a good mood I'm generally playful with everybody, including people who talk down to me or obviously aren't happy with me. I may playfully tease them, or just casually ignore them. When I'm in a bad mood I'll either ignore them, simmer silently in anger and resentment, or get openly hostile with them.

I'm not emotionally reactive, but I easily express my emotions to strangers and confidants alike.

Nope. I just like to have a good time.

I can be as sarcastic as I can be self-deprecating, witty and playful. I just like to have fun and tell stories and be funny.

Are you silly?
Beyond silly, and I have a good time.

Were you shy as a child?
Hmm... I don't know. I don't think so. I think I naturally have a lot of self-consciousness, but it comes and goes. It's my outlook that really dictates how self-conscious I am. I'm less self-conscious now than I ever have been. I say to myself, "Hey, it sucks if not everybody likes you, but you like yourself, and that's all that matters."

I'm not reserved.

Nah. I'm pretty good at that.

Depends on which peers you're talking about. I like to have fun like my peers, but I fluctuate between being less, equally and more mature.

I enjoy writing, and that's all that matters. I like people to understand and enjoy what I write, so I try to be good, but I don't worry about failing.

Oh, just want a decent job, forty hours a week (or less), decent pay. I tend to make the most of whatever job I have (it's afterwards I realize what crap it was), so I'm fairly confidant I'll be all right in almost any job that isn't sales, food preparation, customer service or rocket science. I'm /thinking/ of majoring in psychology in college, but I haven't decided. I love studying the delicate and complex innerworkings of people's minds.

Eve

Until I was 9, I questioned if I thought something was important enough for me to do it, otherwise I was pretty passive. After that, I went through periods where I questioned a lot and through periods where I didn’t.

It depends on the person. Usually, I don't talk to someone who seems angry, so I listen and talk to the person at another time or, if the comments got to me in a negative way, I turn my back or hang up the phone and talk to the person when I'm less aggravated.

I can be, but just with people I'm comfortable with.

No.

Not really sarcastic, but I can be sarcastic.

Are you silly?

:D (can be)

Were you shy as a child?

Yes, very shy.

Sometimes.

Sometimes.

Erm... I felt older when I was younger, but I had responsibilities that most of my friends didn't, so that probably contributed to that. Now, I feel younger.

Not anymore, if I ever was to begin with, at least according to my own standards.

Psychologist

GZA

Resident Snot-Nose
MBTI Type
infp
If you are an INFP:

I generally question authority a lot, especially at school, but it really depends on the situation. I don't think I've ever questioned my guitar teacher, but thats because all of his methods have always made sense. I question teachers almost every day because I rarely agree with them and I generally do not click with the structure of school.

It depends, I don't get people talking down to me much, but I will sometimes walk away and feel really terrible for a while even if what the person said wasn't even very insulting. Sometimes I try to talk it out with them diplomatically...

I am very emotional in my own mind, but I do not express it much, even to people I really trust.

No, I don't need much attention, but I need to know I'm at least tolerated for my often strange behavior. When I do get positive attention, I generally brush it off, I don't really think I deserve it, but if its negative it will sometimes beat me down for a while.

Sometimes I'm very sarcastic... I definately crack a lot of jokes.

Are you silly?

I'm a silly goose! My silliness is trans-species :p

Were you shy as a child?

My mom used to say I talked a lot up untill I was about ten, but I always remember prefering to stay home and play by myself. My stuffed animals all had personalities; there was Guy, who was kind of like a reflection of how I thought other people saw me (he didn't talk much, but he always cared, I'm almost choked up remembering this, ahahaha), there was Ape, who was a leader, very action oriented, there was Mr. Beaver, who was sometimes unconfident and would often say "I don't know if thats a good idea" out of fear and lack of confidence. Sometimes he could be very logical, though.

YES! People say I always look indifferent, like I have no emotion (which used to offend me but now cracks me up)

Yes, I usually think one thing and say something else... kind of like a watered down, sometime spoorly worded version of my very clear thought. Speech and thought are totally seperate for me... I think thats why I do that.

No, especially now. I feel like I'm in a completely different... time system.

When I'm inspired to write, I write very well, but when I'm forced to or lose inspiration, its not so good. I sometimes have visions of things... a full poem will just jump into my mind. Sadly I rarely have anything to write it down on, so I forget it.

I'm not sure, and sometimes it causes me great distress, either because I'm pressured to try to decide, or because the thought of having no real direction or purpose can be scary. I suppose I'd love to be a musician... I'm pretty good and I love to learn.

maidenhair

MBTI Type
INFP

I've always questioned authority figures but rarely act out against perceived injustices or immorality. Corruption of authorities figures prominently in my rants about the state and fate of humanity but I don't have the confidence to challenge them - and I have little desire to lead.

I'm a very defensive person. I know my faults and feel absolutely mortified when people point them out, especially in the presence of others. When people are critical, I burn with shame and say very little. If they are condescending, I become sarcastic and sometimes self-deprecating in an attempt to deflect their behaviour.

I tend to be more reactive with people I know well. My blow-ups can be quite spectacular, so I try to hold myself together when around unfamiliar people because I don't want to cast a bad impression. I tend to get mad at myself or things (usually technology) rather than people.

I dislike being ignored but I don't need constant acknowledgement and validation of my existence.

Sometimes. It's more apparent when I'm upset or hurt. I can use it effectively in humorous situations, though.

Are you silly?

Only around people I know well. Straight-laced types don't generally get the silly streak many NFs have. When my ENFP friend and I get together, our behaviour can be quite outrageous.

Were you shy as a child?

Very much so. I was sullen and withdrawn to the point where people were afraid to approach me. I've maintained my cool, aloof disposition but no longer tremble in fear when I have to interact with others, so some of the walls have tumbled.

Definitely. Most people seem to think I'm very unfriendly, even snobbish, until they get to know me.

It's always been a problem in large groups or around people with control issues who must always direct conversations. Around those I know well, I am fairly open and don't need to measure my responses so much.

I've always felt much older.

Many people have praised my ability, so it would seem so. I feel much more confident and liberated when writing than when speaking.

I've reached adulthood but still wonder about which vocation is most appropriate for me. I have every intention of becoming a novelist at some point. I doubt I'll ever be finished with education and anticipate changing careers at least once. For now, I'm in the business field, but have doubts about how fulfilling I'll find it.

Kaveri

MBTI Type
intp
I'm not completely sure if I'm an INFP but I'll reply anyhow.

If you are an INFP:

Hmm. Difficult to answer.

It depends on my current attitude and preoccupations, really. And whether I like the authority figure in question. I have these "independent attitude" phases when I resist authority and "get in trouble" (not very much but just enough to feel like a rebel). Sometimes I'm going through a "submissive attitude" phase and then I'm very submissive and only rebel if something bad is happening.

Depends on the person. Usually I honestly don't care, unless they keep doing it over and over again. If the person irks me, then I might either lose my nerves and do something stupid or keep my cool and do something that I'm later proud of, like smirk and walk away before the person i quite finished with their talk.

I try not to be. I try to keep my cool in public. I guess I'm emotionally reactive only with those I feel comfortable with, although my ideal for myself is to remain calm and stoic.

Hmm. Perhaps.

No. Not at all. I'm not witty enough.

Hmm, on second thought, yes I am, although people don't usually know that I'm being sarcastic and think I'm being stupid or weird and I don't correct them, lol.

Sometimes people also think that I'm sarcastic when I'm not. Like, if it rains and I say, "What a lovely day," I'm not being sarcastic.

Are you silly?

Yes. I like to think of myself as silly because then I feel that I don't have to take myself so seriously and I don't have to be always right and so on.

Were you shy as a child?

Yes. I was very shy.

Sometimes, although I think I rather like their misconception. I've been disappointed in people. I used to glorify other people and think lowly of myself, but I've noticed that everyone makes mistakes, does stupid and immoral things, and I can't respect people the way I used to. I want to be aloof, so if people think that I don't want to be with them, I honestly might not care.

Depends on the people, of course, whether I like them to think that I'd prefer to be left alone, or not.

Only irl. I write pretty well.

No. I've felt younger than my peers.

Yes.

I still don't know. Maybe philosopher and artist.

Last edited:
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Well, I don't know of too many INFP's, but I'm married to one. That should count for something.

If you are not an INFP:

Not really. We're both introverts; so, we do about the same amount of talking.

Do they seem stuck up?
Not mine, not at all.

Well, like I said, I'm an introvert too; so, we're both kind of quiet, and some outsiders might see us as "aloof". But I don't.

Do you think they come off as emotionally unstable?
They can be pretty sensitive at times; but you just gotta realize, "Hey, I've found that such-and-such hurts him," and be careful to avoid those things.

Very kind, sweet, sensitive (in a good way as well as the above), attentive to your wants and needs, VERY loving.

Although the sensitivity has its downsides, I believe the INFP is the perfect mate, and I couldn't ask for a better mate.

Pseudonym_Alpha

MBTI Type
INFJ

In reference to that, i can only profile INxP's because thats all i've seen so far, that i can remember.

Very quiet, like to work on their own, work best on their own, enjoy their space, sometimes have trouble with definite solutions to problems to do with emotions, as far as i can tell.

Have alot of respect for people in their own right, like to get to know people and keep it that way.

Tend to defer from questions that contain Why's and How's about themselves.

Vicki

MBTI Type
????
If you are an INFP:

depends on if I think the authority figure is being fair.
I seem to question a lot of "authority figures" around here though..

I'd probably be like, "well, aren't you a hot shot?" or "oh, buzz off"

sometimes both

I need a good bit, yeah

I'm not usually sarcastic, I'm usually only sarcastic if I'm in a good mood and someone else is being sarcastic.

Are you silly?
yeah

Were you shy as a child?
yeah, but now people swear I'm an extrovert

yes!

with people I don't know.. yeah.

no, sometimes I feel smarter than them.. and it's usually true.

not exactly, but let's just say, It's easier than talking.

I want a be a marine biologist/singer/photographer all at once!! :D

Keoren

MBTI Type
INtP
I'm INxP. Close enough?

I'm not against authority in general, but most authority figures don't seem to deserve their power and I don't have much respect for and question them.

In a seemingly "funny" way. I keep the true me inside.

Can be very intense emotionally. I try to remain calm and basically seem like a cold person in public. With somebody I'm very close to, I may end up very emotional though even at those times I attempt to limit it.

Varies. Depending on the situation, I either require all the attention I can get or don't want anything at all.

Yes.

Are you silly?
Yep, when I'm feeling comfortable

Were you shy as a child?
I was very shy, but have lately been able to overcome it a bit. I'm still highly introverted - just more confident.

Sometimes

Big part of my thinking consist of images and all kinds of abstact... stuff... and it can be troublesome converting it into language. As a result I fumble with speaking. I'm, however, a talented writer. It just takes lots of time and editing.

I've always felt myself smarter, more mature even, despite being quite of a laid-back and silly person. On the other hand, sometimes I've also felt younger, much younger. Never quite the same.

I consider myself to be one, yes. I could still be better.

Alot better.
And even then - bit more.

Also depends on the inspiration.

Assassin, private investigator, author, psychologist, artist...

Zaerne

MBTI Type
INFP
How do you respond to authority figures in your life? Do you generally question authority or are you pretty submissive?I respect authority as it's needed many times. I usually get along with any authority figure, but that's not much because I usually get along with everyone. However, I do question authority and I cannot say I am "submissive". I know that there are some people who do not deserve their position and abuse their authority, however I do respect authority. I cannot say I am "submissive" but I can say I do follow the directions of most authority, especially when I believe it is well deserved. In summary, I respect authority, but I don't feel the need to follow every word of authority figures.

I respond very negatively to it, and it is one of the things which annoy me very much. I just don't understand why people would do that. I may not be the best person, but please not anyone suggest that I am less than them. I certainly know that I am not more, and I also certainly know that I am not less. The quality of my talents does not matter because that does not constitute the value of life.

I would say I am very emotionally reactive to some issues, but not so much to others. I also take emotionally reactive as meaning reacting greatly with emotions, because even if something might astound or anger me I try to hold it down, unless it is really just plain unacceptable where I will probably utter a few words of unbelief and feel tears in my eyes for I never get much with anger without it turning into crying. If I do choose to react emotionally physically, it is only with people I am comfortable with, and that doesn't mean I have to be in an enclosed space with that person, as long my interest is kept only to the conversation, for all I'm concerned it is only me and that person.

I would hate to say it, but yes I do think I need a lot of attention in relationships. I easily feel as if I'm ignored because I am ignored most of the time. (Pause: We are talking about any relationship here, right, not just romantic relationship? If not, well that's what I'm talking about.) I really would like to people to listen to me because I think I have done a lot of listening. I rarely do get my opinion out, and close relationships are the only way they are going to be out. It feels lonely when I have no one to say something which means to much to me.

Maybe...I am really much more sarcastic in the Internet, but I tend to not use sarcasm regularly...I take that back. I am sarcastic to really close friends but I would not dare cause any conflicts by people misinterpreting my sarcasm, which happens a lot when I do use it. I also love sarcasm in others, in books, and just about anything. I really don't know why. It's just so amusing.

Are you silly?
It depends upon which definition of silly you accept and up to what extent do you consider a person silly. I guess I am a bit childish and silly, but that is kept to myself and close friends. I am in no way will try to attract any attention by doing something fairly stupid. I also don't wish to pronounce to the world that I am that way. I'd rather live at Fairyland and fool people I live here. It's certainly much more amusing than actually living here.

Were you shy as a child?
Hmm...I still consider myself I a child so would this question apply for me. If you define childhood as before 13, then I guess I can answer. Yes, I was very shy when I was younger, so much that when I was in front of an audience, I could hardly speak and my voice would start to noticeably shake. However, I have broken that trait in a few occasions. We were acting out a mini-play in 2nd grade, was given the main role, and I decided to give it my serious best. To everyone's surprise I actually acted it out with the energy and attitude of the character. Also I have been to several pageants, one time getting an award, but I was still pretty nervous. I certainly could say I am much less shy today as well as that I used certainly in this post too much.

Yes, this happens a lot, and it's not very fun as when somebody starts to tell me I'm quiet, I am intentionally going to be quiet to that person unless that person feels that I actually hate them, which seems to also happen many times.

Of course. Actually of course wouldn't fit as a proper answer but I did not want for the first word of my reply to be "yes" again. Anyway, yes I do have a hard time expressing myself verbally. Though it may seem cliche to say it, I can say it in no other way, that words are not enough to tell the world how I feel. Certainly my thoughts are beyond expressing and language is an invention which is not advanced enough to express every human thought.

I don't think I ever feel exactly the same mental age as my peers. It is either that I feel older than them, like their way too immature to be this age, as I don't hold myself to their standards, but hold them to mine, or it is that I feel that I am too irresponsible, shy, and unsocial for them. Actually it is not just two ways I feel, but I think there is a third category in which I feel that I just simply do not have the thinking, mind, and species of my peers.

I can't say I am a talented writer because not only would that be bragging, but also lying. I live in constant writer's block with a few inspirations, and I always found it hard to express any feeling to any outside form. Writing is definitely easier than talking as it allows me the time that I need, but my limited vocabulary and skill just hinders me to tell my message in the beautifully intertwined words of poets.

I don't know. I don't know. I don't know. If anybody wants to suggest a career to me feel free, but I cannot decide anything. I want a job which fits my small amount of talents but pays enough money so I can take care of my family (family as in parents, not husband and children, maybe that but unlikely). I feel like I lack talent in areas I want to be doing and lack interest in those which I could be doing.

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
I am an INTJ but I have an INFP sister.
Also I have some "S" types in my family and
I can tell you what THEY think of my INFP sister.
Keep in mind that any type is only going to be about 85% accurate in "classifying" someone.
There are other factors that make you uniquely you.
If you are an INFP:

My sister used to drive me NUTS with this!
I used to have to babysit her. I am 4 years older. It was just the 2 of us.
She NEVER LISTENED to anything I told her to do.
Well, that's somewhat understandable with siblings,
but she has NO FEAR of my mother! (of whom I was deathly afraid).
Even now, she will pretend to obey my mother to appease her,
but then do whatever she wants anyway.
This offends me because I actually DO what my mother says
(most of the time - I AM 48 years old now.)
Can't answer that except I know my sister HATES pity.
My sister has to really be pushed to show feelings in public, some hot button has to be touched.
I used to be amazed though at how she could let tears flow so easily in front of others-
in situations where I would have held mine in.
My sister appears to be more of a giver than a receiver.
My sister hates sarcasm.
Are you silly?
Her silliness drives me insane.
I HATE to be teased. She loves to tease.
Were you shy as a child?
She says she was shy.
Aren't NFs too warm to be perceived as aloof?
My sister hardly ever spoke at all when she was young.
Don't know.
My sister doesn't write much.
She's good at writing a thank you note and making it warm and personal.
She's more into reading.
Her gift is decorating her house and making costumes for her kids.
She has always loved books.
She got her Master's in Library Science,
and she is a librarian at the middle school in town.

If you are not an INFP:

Hmmm... I don't think so.
However, if you want to know what an I is thinking, you must ask them.
Do they seem stuck up?
I don't know of any who think so.
My sister is quiet.
Unstable? No.
However, I have found a lot of INxPs believe in "conspiracy theories".
This makes most of the S-types around them think they are illogical and unintelligent.
My sister is one of the people with the least amount of common sense that I know.
Her ideas are just plain impractical and have nothing to do with efficiency.
This bothers practical or efficient people.

I would look it up in a good book like Do What You Are by Paul Tieger and Barbara Barron.
I don't have any practical experience with this.
I know my sister is an asset to the school.
I know she works in her spare time to reach her own personal ideal of what she wants the quality of her work to be.
She sacrifices herself without counting the cost.
She has told me that several - if not all -
of her boyfriends were INTPs and somehow it always ended badly.
She's married to an ISTJ and I think they go well together.
If she would let her husband lead more, their household would be better balanced.
She has to learn to trust him - especially where she is weak and he is strong.

anii

homo-loving sonovagun
MBTI Type
infp
Enneagram

It depends on whether they are authoritative or authoritarian. I prefer to be led, not pushed or dragged.

I hate it; it annoys the living daylights out of me. Sometimes I play along to lull them into a false sense of security... then I wait for an opportunity to pounce.

In order to survive my childhood, I had to learn how to hold my cards close to the chest. Inwardly I can be seething while outwardly I project calm.

It depends... I prefer a slow and steady and/or intermittent stream of attention vs. sudden bursts. Too much attention and I back away. Not enough and I start to feel needy.

I don't think so, and I haven't been called that for a long time.

Are you silly?

Yes, very much so. Daily and deliberately. It keeps me sane and healthy.

Were you shy as a child?

Yes, but I overcompensated by being obnoxious.

Yes, I've been called "stuck up" before.

It depends on whether I feel safe and comfortable with my audience. Also, if my energy is low my words start to stumble, I may ramble or clam up. I've been known to stutter when I feel pressured.

When I was a child I felt older. Now I act/feel much younger.

Not in a linear sense; I like to write a haiku a day.

Nomad/Troubadour/Hermit

Last edited:

kelric

Feline Member
MBTI Type
INtP
I'll go ahead and answer... I usually "test out" as an INTP, but reading experiences and thoughts from others here and on INTPc, I identify as much with the INFP's as the INTP's. So who knows - probably some sort of INxP.

If you are an INFP:

It depends. In general, I think that I respond to most people pretty well, as long as I believe that I'm liked and respected. I would say that I question authority but am very rarely confrontational about it - if I have a disagreement with an authority figure, I'm much more likely to try to prove my case and try to work things out or be silent and stew.

This rarely happens to me - but when it does I despise it. My reactions tend to be either to shut up and wait until I can leave or try to explain my point of view and why I think I'm right... although my explanation can often sound lame in hindsight (even though I'm still right :D ).

I would say not in public - if I can help it. When I was little, I was the kid who cried a lot, and got the "little boys shouldn't cry speech" on a number of occasions. In general I'm pretty reserved, but things can set me off occasionally.

If you're talking romantic relationships, I haven't got enough experience to really provide much of an opinion. My guess is that most of what I need is to *feel* loved/liked, and as long as that overall state is maintained more or less continuously, the "little things" wouldn't be so important - or even necessarily desired. Call me "low maintenance, but don't take me for granted." As for friendships, I think I'm pretty much the same way - as long as I'm not ignored or mistreated I'm pretty happy.

I can be, but I'm rarely mean about it. I'll be nastily sarcastic when I'm thinking about myself (internal-dialogue), but not to others. My sarcasm tends to be more light-hearted. "Too bad about this weather" on a beautiful day, etc.

Are you silly?
Occasionally - not really that often, though.

Were you shy as a child?
Yes. I did fine with things like public speaking or acting in plays, but put me in a social situation and I'd clam up or simply leave. I still do that, more or less, when in crowds or with people I don't know.

Probably - it's hard for me to know. I've had people tell me that I just don't seem interested socially, even when I am. It simply takes me a very long time to get comfortable with people, and it wouldn't surprise me if I'm misunderstood.

Yes. I frequently get tongue-tied and have to stop what I'm saying and start over when talking to people.

Hmm - not particularly. I'm not sure this question applies to me so much now, as I'm in my mid-30's and those sorts of things just don't mean as much at my age. When I was younger, I considered myself more mature than average, but not unusually so. Academically, I was usually ahead of my age group, but again, not uniquely so.

I'd like to think so, but it's not something that I've done enough of to really say. Most of my writing is more technical in nature (at work) and I believe that I do well there, but I would rather write fiction, and I've not done much of it lately.

How flattering! Sort of like getting carded going into a bar/casino :) . I guess that I can't really deny that I'm "grown up" chronologically, but if I could do anything, it would be a novelist - having said that, I enjoy the design and development parts of my job as a computer programmer (if only I could escape the politics).

thelitteratti

MBTI Type
INFP
If you are an INFP:

if someone tells me to do something i usually feel inclined to do the opposite, just to spite them. i HATE HATE HATE giving other people the idea that they have some kind of control over me, even if it is only in their minds.

depending on how well i know the person, i will either point it out or just associate with them less. i can't stand it.

i am always emotionally reactive, i just don't show it much in public. also i've kind of "trained myself" to not care what strangers think of me and am able to talk myself out of hurt feelings from situations like that fairly easily. but if someone close to me hurts me i can go into a funk for days....:blush:

i don't need someone telling me constantly that they love me, but i like it when my partner helps me out with things, and reacts to me in a way that makes me feel respected. it has a lot more to do with my feelings than their actions. depending on the person, some actions could be too much, where another person doing the same could be not enough. wtf, right?

yes. i love sarcasm.

Are you silly?

all the time! silliness and sarcasm are my two favorite pastimes. of all time. in a humid clime......

Were you shy as a child?
very. i was terrified to order something at a restaurant at the age of 7. the store clerks were judging me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! *ahem*

yes. friends of friends especially tend to dislike me fairly quickly unless i get really drunk around them often... :puppy_dog_eyes:

yes. in the moment, i just blunder over my words and make no sense. but if i can express what i want in writing, it usually comes out much clearer

umm... i don't know. i always felt the need to APPEAR mature, but i think that has more to do with my parents. sometimes i did, especially in middle school, especially when we watched stupid movies like "titanic" and "boys and girls"... i was just like... "this is retarded................."

but i talk like an uneducated bum, so i guess i can't go around feeling too mature... :blush:

i think so. i wrote a paper for a friend once, and his professor said it was one of the best papers he'd ever read. i LOVE to write, so i hope i'm good at it... lol

i want to be a psychologist. hands down. the human psyche fascinates me, and being able to help people out of their darkest times really appeals to me. so yes. psychologist.

but NOT psychiatrist.. because really... prescribing drugs solves very little most of the time...

Jasz

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
If you are not an INFP:

i think they are a perfect match for one-on-one conversations with INTP's

Do they seem stuck up?
they can be unwilling to compromise on their beliefs which to some could seem as stuck up

quiet and reserved in most social settings (excluding groups of close friends) that do not involve discussions around morals/ethics etc

no, just sensitive

not sure

how would i describe them? or how would i be able to type them as an INFP?

they can be the glue that keeps an organization together so i'd say positive as a colleague and a subordinate. less fit as my superior unless they love to argue and don't take it personal. they should also be able to live with less-than-perfect decisions. if they can't, it could be problematic.

how much time do you have?

Sandy

MBTI Type
INFP
I am an INFP...

How do you respond to authority figures in your life? Do you generally question authority or are you pretty submissive? While I was a child, my teachers loved me because I was the most well-behaved little girl. I tried hard to please them and did well in my tests. As an adult, I'm pretty submissive and respectful, however, when I was in a relationship with my past boyfriend, I could really get in his face when he was wrong (he had done some pretty unrespectable things in his past), and I could state my case well. :steam: He was an ISTJ policeman, so sometimes that was not a good thing, however, we had lasted 9 years (until I couldn't take him anymore). The problem was that I had idealized his position as a police officer, and I expected him to be the most respectable one. Once he knocked himself off that pedestal that I had built him on, than I couldn't respect him anymore.

How do you respond to someone talking down to you? I have a very hard time biting my tongue, especially when I know what kind of person he is or what kind of things he has done in his past (I know, that is bad). :nono: I do better now because I am really trying to learn from other's constructive criticisms, especially if it is done lovingly. If it's not, watch out! I work in a male-dominated field (electric and gas construction - management), so I have to play tough a lot and make sure that the males never get to me (it's very draining).

Are you very emotionally reactive? If so, are you emotionally reactive in public or just with those you are comfortable with? In the past, I have been emotionally reactive (a real crybaby), and if I was very angry, I would have bit the heads off of the ones I love, of course, in private. Last year, I did get in the face of a group of black teenagers at Wal-mart who were loudly cursing in front of a small child and an older lady. I shut them up, and I walked away steaming mad. I couldn't believe I did that.

Do you need a lot of attention in relationships? When I was younger and more insecure, I use to feel sad if my sweetheart didn't pay much attention to me. Now, it doesn't bother me much. I just read now or go listen to something that I love to listen to. :rock: I do need to know that I am loved and needed.

Are you really sarcastic? I can be very, very sarcastic. I am also very self-depreciating, but I have toned that down quite a bit over the years.

Are you silly? When I am anywhere in the world, I am all smiles, all serious, and very business-like. But when I am relaxed at home with my family or my friends, I just let down my hair and can be terribly goofy! Business folks have no idea how goofy I am! It seems to me that I have the weirdest sense of humor... I can't tell a joke to save my life, but I absolutely love to hear a good joke! I also love the most silly (read: childish) things on TV (IE: My Name is Earl, Scrubs, Family Guy, Three Stooges) I mostly enjoy watching the shows that get me on the floor, laughing, until my side aches! :yim_rolling_on_the_

Were you shy as a child? I was very reserved; smiling all the time but very, very reserved. I am the kid (and now adult) who is in the corner, smiling (read: amused), while people-watching.

Do people mistake your reservedness for aloofness? I hope not! I think most people consider me quiet, respectful, polite, and shy... of course, until they talk with me! I am still always respectful and polite, though.

Do you have a hard time expressing yourself verbally? Yes and no. I am way better verbalizing now than when I was younger, however I still do much better when I can write everything I need to write out.

Have you always felt as though you were at the same mental age as your chronological peers? When I was younger... never; I have always thought I was mentally older. Today, I feel like I am the same as others.

Are you a talented writer? I am not sure; some people that I know have stated that I am. I know that I express myself the best through writing.

What do you want to be when you grow up (career)? I want to become a healer through massage therapy, trigger-point therapy, and reflexology. I refuse to spend $19K to become certified, so my future husband, family, church family, and friends will be the beneficiary of my obsession to heal.

Last edited: