• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INFP] Questions for and about INFPs.

renaiziphonts

MBTI Type
INFp
Enneagram
9W1
Instinctual Variant
sx
Sort of a "nobody understands me" question, to see if I'm just crazy,

But do other INFPs feel like they wear masks? Do you steal personalities from people around you to earn their acceptance?

renaiziphonts

MBTI Type
INFp
Enneagram
9W1
Instinctual Variant
sx
How do you respond to authority figures in your life? Do you generally question authority or are you pretty submissive?
I don't search for reasons to doubt authority, in fact people with a conspiracy conplex tend to make me depressed or anxious. I just don't like the constant doubt thing, however, if I feel somebody has been wronged, it doesn't matter who did it. I'll support them against the school bully or the president of Nicaragua.

How do you respond to someone talking down to you?
I silently and passive aggressively judge them, or I take it personally. Usually the first. It's not worth conflict, however.

Are you very emotionally reactive? If so, are you emotionally reactive in public or just with those you are comfortable with?
I don't emote. It's a thing I do my best to keep the same. I can laugh and smile, but it's usually just for the people. A sort of mask to keep my emotions personal and internal.

Do you need a lot of attention in relationships?
I don't need constant attention, but when I get time with my girlfriend, I expect to have total emotional and intellectual openness. I enjoy having that time to be me, and not the mask, but I can easily accept compromise.

Are you really sarcastic?
Of course not.

Are you silly?
Yeah, among friends. Among people I'm stoic and slightly manipulative.

Were you shy as a child?
Yeah. I was also impulsive. It made an odd mix sort of.

Do people mistake your reservedness for aloofness?
Yeah, all the time. If I'm not actively trying to pretend to be what they want me to be, then I'm off thinking about butterflies or God Knows what else.

Do you have a hard time expressing yourself verbally?
Yes. I ramble about ideas with the kind of inspiration that tends to scare people away, or I say nothing at all about emotions. I actively avoid talking about emotions.

Have you always felt as though you were at the same mental age as your chronological peers?
I have recently felt older, like considerably older, though my girlfriend is noticeably more mature, despite being a year younger, so almost never.

Are you a talented writer?
I love writing. I don't have the diligence to finish a book, but I have always had a gift for prose, so yeah. I am in some ways. As far as refined focus though, I am miserable.

What do you want to be when you grow up (career)?
Probably a college professor with research stay. Likely biomedical engineering. Thats the plan!

Last edited:

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

But do other INFPs feel like they wear masks? Do you steal personalities from people around you to earn their acceptance?

I feel like I have some masks, yeah. I can easily leave the impression I am more simplistic than I am or perhaps "too cool to care" when I really have a lot of feeling. The thing I find masking most is my more intellectual side, because it seems to make eyes glaze over. Many of the things I think about extensively when alone never makes it to a conversation with others, which makes me feel like the "real me" is not known by them.

I don't steal personalities for acceptance, no. That sounds more enneagram 9 over all. I may mimic certain things about people because I feel socially oblivious and don't know how to act in some situations. That is more like taking cues on what is "normal" than stealing a personality.

I do have identity issues in that I don't quite know how to manifest my personality outside of my head, and I may have some ideal I'm striving for that is too strained or difficult to reconcile with other aspects of life. I worry I am very dull & blank in reality, but I can just be very inhibited, probably due to some deep-rooted shame.

Bullet

I mostly try to mask my melancholic nature so it isn't off-putting to other people. Sometimes, that means wearing a fake smile. Especially in the workplace, maintaining good relations depends on your presentation and demeanor. If you're moody and brooding, people won't want to be around you.

Raffaella

bon vivant
:rolleyes:

I don't steal personalities for acceptance, no. That sounds more enneagram 9 over all. I may mimic certain things about people because I feel socially oblivious and don't know how to act in some situations. That is more like taking cues on what is "normal" than stealing a personality.

I was going to come in here and say "In before, someone says stealing personalities is an E9 thing" and someone has already said it. WAY to be predictable! :dry: :beathorse:

In regards to your latter question, nay, sir/m'am, I don't. I like my personality, I don't copy people around me and I don't change my tastes to earn acceptance. I don't wear a mask to hide who I am because I'm afraid people won't accept me, I'm naturally an observer and place little energy on showing who I am.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
:rolleyes:

I was going to come in here and say "In before, someone says stealing personalities is an E9 thing" and someone has already said it. WAY to be predictable! :dry: :beathorse:

Hey, he brought up it. Between 4 & 9, the common enneatypes for INFP, it is certainly more 9 than 4. :shrug:

Raffaella

bon vivant
Hey, he brought up it. Between 4 & 9, the common enneatypes for INFP, it is certainly more 9 than 4. :shrug:

Actually, I think you misinterpreted his question. He said "Do you steal personalities from people around you to earn their acceptance?" not "which INFP steals" it's a question of What not Who. Anyway, at the moment I really can't be bothered arguing over this, I'm just tired of 4s belittling 9s, it happens a lot.

ithurt

MBTI Type
INFP
If you are an INFP:

How do you respond to authority figures in your life? Do you generally question authority or are you pretty submissive?

Usually submissive.

Usually, take it in and leave with discomfort that I have to release in privacy. But I am also capable of counter-attacking. I can be aggressive.

Are you very emotionally reactive? If so, are you emotionally reactive in public or just with those you are comfortable with?

I probably react to and process almost everything emotionally.

I am needy.

A subtype of my joking comments is sarcastic.

Were you shy as a child? Wasn't outgoing. Barely noticed the world around me.

Do people mistake your reservedness for aloofness? Yes. First time I was told this, I was completely surprised by it.

Do you have a hard time expressing yourself verbally? Yes.

Have you always felt as though you were at the same mental age as your chronological peers? Yes.

Are you a talented writer? No.

What do you want to be when you grow up (career)? I already grew up. I am a teacher and enjoy my current job.

magpie

Permabanned
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
It depends? I'm very anti-authoritarian and I really can't stand people who are aggressive or forceful, bureaucracy in general, and people who try and get others to submit as some sort of lesson, like its good for them. It makes me upset. But I don't mind following instructions from people I respect, who I know respect me.

I stop engaging with them or I become angry and play along for a bit with the use of deadpan sarcasm in order to make them feel like I'm feeling. :/

Yes, very, although I am trying to control this. I can't stop myself from feeling at any given time but usually when I'm in public I try to make sure not to show any outward reaction to the emotions. Although, I've found that letting myself react publicly and in the moment in a controlled way makes it easier for me not to lash out at the people I love and don't want to hurt.

Probably. I feel guilty about it.

I can be as a defense mechanism, in order to frighten people away. I also can be affectionately sarcastic in a gentle manner with people I like.

Are you silly?
Yeah, I've been told so by people I'm close to.

Were you shy as a child?
Not at all. My nickname as a child was "The Non-Stop Talking Machine." Then in late elementary/early middle school I kind of retreated, I think due to trauma, and by high school I'd really stopped seeking out interaction at all. That's changing, though.

Yes, all the time.

At times I really, really do. It's so bad that I sometimes can't even finish sentences because I've lost track of where I'm going or I'm speaking but something else comes out rather than what I intended. I suspect I have a bit of aphasia, actually.

Have you always felt as though you were at the same mental age as your chronological peers?
No.

I like to write but I think my writing's a bit too much like my words (verbose and confusing) for it to be much good.

I'd really, really like to act.

INFPtheQuietOne

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp
Ok, so I am one, but to be honest my knowledge of the MBTI and its types is very limited. I've been reading over MBTI Central for a couple of days now and I can see that many of you have a good bit of knowledge about the different preferences and types. Basically I just have some questions, if any of you are at all interested in answering any of them (as many or as few as you'd like, and if you have any other information about INFPs to share I'd be interested in reading it!).

If you are an INFP:

submissive, but question them one-on-one
ignore them, say nothing
yeah, try to hide it but can't
no
no
Are you silly?
yes
Were you shy as a child?
yes
sometimes
yes
not always
not sure, but still write
not sure yet

Oleni

MBTI Type
INFP
How do you respond to authority figures in your life? Do you generally question authority or are you pretty submissive? I try to not to question it, but sometimes I do anyway. Well, my father is my biggest authority figure and I question him all the time, he wants to control everything and everyone.
How do you respond to someone talking down to you? I use sarcasm.
Are you very emotionally reactive? If so, are you emotionally reactive in public or just with those you are comfortable with? Sometimes, but just with my family. I don't show negative emotions in public.
Do you need a lot of attention in relationships? What's a relationship?
Are you really sarcastic? Yes, but I try not to.
Are you silly? When I'm drunk, sure. Ok, sometimes, but the drunk part is true.
Were you shy as a child? Yes.
Do people mistake your reservedness for aloofness? Sometimes.
Do you have a hard time expressing yourself verbally? Sometimes.
Have you always felt as though you were at the same mental age as your chronological peers? Mmh, not always.
Are you a talented writer? In my first language, maybe. I've been told that, but I'm not sure, I think what I write it's crap, but then I think everything I do is crap, so maybe I'm imagining it.
What do you want to be when you grow up (career)? I'm nurse student, so... yeah. Nurse.

Kas

Fabula rasa
If you are an INFP:

Well, that’s tricky. I question authority first. I do what I think is right, so it’s hard to trust decisions that aren’t mine. If sb gain my respect, I tend to do what I’m told and I’m loyal to that person.

I ignore that, but it annoys me (rolling eyes). We rather won't be friends.

Yes, I’m emotionally reactive, I can act in dramatic way sometimes. I tend to hide it though, especially when I’m with people whom I don’t know very well. I also know that all the drama can make communication with people more difficult.
I show more of it when I’m with friends and family.

Yes.

I can be sarcastic sometimes, sarcasm is funny.

Are you silly?
I like to think I’m not. But probably sometimes I am.

Were you shy as a child?
I was shy, but at the same time I always liked spending time with people and meeting new people.

I’m moderately reserved. Aloofness? No.

Yes sometimes it’s hard to find the right words.

No. I sometimes feel like I’m a kid and sometimes like I’m too mature. Ambivalent then :)

Not really, but sometimes I write.

Patrick

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
If you are an INFP:
Both. For most of my life, I never really thought much about authority figures at all; I imagined that I was a loner--completely independent. But in hindsight (up to and including the present) I can see that I've always sought out reliable authorities and been wary of anyone who struck me as unreliable. I can just as easily obey or rebel. I prefer to obey, but only if I'm sure that doing so is the right thing.

I've rarely experienced that, but I resent it when it happens, of course. Wouldn't anybody?

I am--very much so. But unless I'm alone or with someone close, I do my best to keep it to myself.

I'm not "high maintenance," but I can always do with some gentle reassurance.

Well, duh! (just kidding) No, I'm not usually sarcastic, but I get sarcasm and can use it.

Are you silly?
Probably, but I'd be embarrassed if I saw myself that way.

Were you shy as a child?
As a child, as a young adult, as an older adult--and still.

Is there a difference? Once in a while someone does guess that I dislike them just because I don't talk freely and openly with them. It surprises me when I find out about it. It doesn't happen often, I hope. I like most everybody; I'm just shy and quiet.

In speech, yes. But verbally on paper or online? Then I'm quite talkative and expressive.

Mentally, as in intellectually? I guess I've often been beyond most of them. But if you mean general psychological "age," including emotions, social awareness, and all, then I've probably lagged behind somewhat.

I like to think so. It's probably my strongest skill, so if I'm not talented at that, I guess I'm a dud at everything.

Who--me--grow up? I turned sixty this year. I ended up being an editor, and I'm happy with that. If I'd thought about it when I was young, I might have planned it. Instead, I just kinda fell into it.

pluviophile

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
NFI
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
If you are an INFP:

I typically do not just blindly follow, so questioning as an internal dialogue and fact checking/second guessing is something that I do quite often. However, actually speaking out about something is pretty anxiety inducing for me. I will only do it if I get really angry or I think decisions made by authority figures are going to cause major problems.

If it's a stranger I'll just stare at them blankly and think, "FU, buddy." If it's an authority figure or someone that I don't like but need to get along with, I wouldn't say anything, but I would be thinking about what a jackass they are. If it's someone close to me, it would be like: 1. patience 2. sarcasm 3. lecture 4. avoidance 5. super mature doing the same thing back to them

I'm unhealthily emotionally reactive. I don't want anyone to know, though. It really embarrasses me. I have perfected the art of pretending like I don't care. You have to be extremely close to me and make me feel really safe and comfortable before I'm going to let you see this.

I need a lot of attention and a lot of alone time. That seems contradictory, but it is what I need.

Sometimes, when I'm being silly and teasing. Far too much, when I'm extremely irritated.

Are you silly?
Yes, very, when I'm in a good mood.

Were you shy as a child?
I was not shy, but I was viewed that way by some because I was a people pleaser and I was/am very reserved. People mistake reserved for shy a lot.

Yes, sometimes.

When I am not very comfortable with someone, it is very difficult to express my emotions verbally. Otherwise, no. I often ramble, go off on tangents, or jump from thought to thought without explaining how they are related. Sometimes, I feel like I don't have a filter. So, there are definitely some issues.

No. Depending on the situation, I almost always feel older or younger.

Some people tell me that my poetry is good. I think it's average.

8a0e7c8c19fbb0cff83b4c18cbd3ff11.jpg

Albert has the right idea.

No, seriously, I would like to live in a tiny house and be a painter/poet/pothead. I also want a beagle and a sex slave.

Ok, really, I used to teach elementary school and now I don't know what I want to be when I grow up.

PotatoPeeler68

MBTI Type
INFP
1. I don't particularly like authority, but for the most part, I follow the rules, but I can get rebellious sometimes... occasionally.;)

2. I know that nearly 99% of the time, they're just teasing, and if they're not, I pretend they are. I just laugh along. They're the ones that do not get any satisfaction.

3. You may need to clarify what "emotionally reactive" means?

4. I like some attention, who doesn't? But too much would be exhausting, and it's about quality, not quantity.

5. NO!! I am not sarcastic.:D

6. I can be very silly when I want to be (which is often) but sometimes I like to be more emotionally in tuned and serious, you know?

7. NO! :D I was not shy at all, believe it or not. This introversion was picked up later.

8. Occasionally, it's hard for me to make a decision, and I like to stay positive, and they may take my smiling the wrong way, but I really just need more time to think.

9. Sometimes yes, othertimes not. Depends on how well I know the person I'm talking to.

10. No, I am way more advanced.

EffieNu92

MBTI Type
INXP
If they strike me as good, I'm usually submissive, but if I get the feeling they're asses I'll end up doing whatever I want. I nod in their face and then walk off and do what I feel or think is best.

I laugh at them usually, or I may set them back in their place.

No, over the process of time it builds up and usually only with someone I'm comfortable with, I don't burst out in public.

Don't think so, just a basic check on me sometimes suffices, I can go days without talking to friends but pick up right where I left off. Romantically, I'd have to say both yes and no, I need it sometimes, but I understand the need for space and individuality as well.

No only with people who annoy me.

Are you silly?
Yes, sometimes.

Were you shy as a child?
To be honest, no not really, it set in more as I got older and more things changed the more shy I became.

Sometimes they do.

Yes, it's harder to express myself verbally than in written format

No, when I younger I felt older than my peers, and often made friends with people 2-3-5-10 years older than myself, and fit in well with them, now I'm older and make friend easier with people who are 2-3 years younger than myself more than older.

I think I am, people have ( friends and colleagues and professors alike have said so), so I guess I basically write how I'd wish to speak so if that counts then yes.

Graphic designer, designer in any creative field would be nice, wanted to be a fashion designer, a lawyer, a marine biologist and ballerina when I was little.

Cloudpatrol

Senior(ita) Member
How respond to authority figures in your life? Question authority or are you pretty submissive?

Question EVERYthing.

Submit to authority if respect it.

They don't matter: Disengaged and moved on before the conversation even ends, tho probs not discernible to that person.

If person matters:
Ask ?’s, to determine why. Communicate that I prefer a different form of interchange.

Emotionally reactive? If so, are you emotionally reactive in public or just with those you are comfortable with?

Challenged = hiding emotions on face.

More expressive of positive emotion. Only share negative reactions with teensy select group.

I enjoy things like this:
At party or family dinner…meeting people, having wonderful conversations. Spot lover across room having their own great interactions. Spontaneously meet eyes and subtle look passes between. Later, he gets a drink and brushes fingers on small of my back as he passes. A frisson of electricity that carries a promise of later.

This:

Hopper_zps7q0hvs5g.jpg

is as enjoyable sometimes, as

This:

Embrace_zps1nlazb2r.jpg

SARC: is my 2nd favorite -asm! :)blush: ;) > see below :p)

Are you silly?

a) Ridiculous (blush): silly = need to be reigned in by more rational peeps.

and

b) Scintillating : silly = extraordinary playful.

Were you shy as a child?

NO.

Yes. If thoughtful or shy, will look through people instead of at them and may have stern look on face. {Otherwise, more smiley and consistent eye contact}

NO. (Mmmm, actually yes sometimes re: feelings).

NO.

Work in progress.

Eventually pool my talents/experience into assisting in creation of new protocol for schools and hospitals.

Publish a book that addresses social mores - disguised as a novel.

fetus

Enneagram
6w7
I'll be the non-INFP to answer this.

If you are not an INFP:

Do they ever talk too much or too little?
The ones I've known talk very little.

Do they seem stuck up?
No. They seem distant but very accepting individuals.

Do they seem aloof or just quiet and reserved?
Both.

Do you think they come off as emotionally unstable?
Not at all. They actually seem quite passionless.

In general, how would you profile a male INFP?
No idea.

In general, how would you profile a female INFP?
No idea.

What do you think of INFPs as coworkers, subordinates, or authority figures?

Fine.

How do you view INFPs in romantic relationships?

Never been with one.