• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] INFP Teaching Style

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
I just got done reading an extensive teaching description given by an INTJ at some 16types forum and it inspired me to start this thread. I have witnessed the teaching styles of INFJs, INTJs, ENFJ's and ISFJs, but I have yet to actually experience an INFP in the classroom. I am curious to see how INFP teacher descriptions compare to my own experiences with teachers of different types, my personal teaching style, and what I envision would be an INFP teaching style according to what I know (theoretically) about INFPs.

Therefore, INFPs, if you have taught or are currently teaching, how would you describe your style? And for the purposes of this thread, let's try not to include functions in your descriptions. Just describe what you do, how you do it, and why you do it...as honestly as possible, as though you had never heard of MBTI (as far as that is possible, though I know that it is an impossibility. So please don't waste time reminding me of this fact).

Oh, and I wasn't sure if I should put this in the NF section or in the academics section, so I chose the former because it gets WAY more traffic.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
And actually, now that I think about it, I would be interested in hearing descriptions from all NFs (or anyone else interested in posting).

G

Glycerine

From my experience, they tend to be (I have had 2 INFP English teachers: a male- 2 years, a female- 1 semester):
very random in discussions... never knew where they would go next.
Lenient
Laidback
strict when grading papers-perfectionists
truly interested in getting to know students (fairly good at reading people)
open-minded
non-conformist- never really had traditional book work
sensitive to the emotional energy in a room
calm demeanor/low- energy
hidden deepness inside (cheesy, I know)
soft spoken
thoughtful
passionate/strong opinions
disorganized
try to make the students see from multiple perspectives
they wanted to have an impact on their students like teaching was their cause

The male teacher talked a lot about things like the purpose of life, love, death, rejection, epistemology. I guess,in short, the deeper things in life.

I'm not sure if this is what you're exactly looking for... some points may be a bit irrelevant, sorry.

surgery

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Four
I suspect my current English professor is an INFP (if not that, definitely still an NF with enneagram type 4). Expectedly, he's really lenient and off beat, which makes him an easy target for mockery (sometimes blatantly in front of him.) Overall, his teaching style is very informal. For example, he uses slang terms, occasionally curses, and addresses us as "cats." When teaching, it seems like he sometimes has trouble articulating his ideas. As a result, the students commonly complain that his assignments are too vague. On the other hand, he does a good job of letting us know that he's ready and willing to go out of the way to help us. Still, I wouldn't say that most of my classmates respect him as good teacher, but they like that class because he's so easy-going and entertaining.
Not surprisingly, while he tries to be friendly and personable, I think he tries hard to differentiate himself from us. At the beginning of the quarter, he flatly said that he's is not our friend. In class, he regularly focuses his lectures around Facebook to make his them more relevant to us, but will very subtly seem to criticize us for having one, as if he is just way to mature (although, he's only 29) for something so silly. Also, I've noticed that he also has a self-deprecating sense of humor.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
That's interesting IDK123 and ofugur, thanks for the responses. I can't say I've ever really had an instructor/prof like that before. Ofugur, is your prof disorganized or organized generally? Does he have notes that he refers to frequently, or is he more free form? Can you usually follow the logic of the class progression? How does he present the material (e.g., powerpoint, lecture, discussion, circle discussion)? I'm interested in knowing if there's a correlation between NF personality preference and a penchant for more radical pedagogy (making the students and the instructor equal in terms of power and so forth).

I would still like to hear from any of you who teach, though, so that I can get the inside perspective.

nolla

Senor Membrane
MBTI Type
INFP
I don't teach but I considered it as a career choice. The reason I would like to teach is that the way I see it, the kids in high school are confused and need some classes where they can think about life and what they would do with it and so on. Maybe some group socializing and stuff like that.

So, my plan was that now that I have graduated from the media communication, I could take a year to get license to teach also. Then I could start a company that sells the schools "Media Education", which would mean that we make short films with the students and then discuss about them. The idea is to get all the students working for single goal, so that they get a clearer picture about how a team should work. They would get to respect each person of the group for their unique talents (since it takes a wide range of talents to make a short movie). And through the artistic expression and plot development we could discuss about many things that are not being discussed at school.

I wouldn't even call this teaching, though, since it would be more like shaping their attitudes towards other people and life in general...

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Therefore, INFPs, if you have taught or are currently teaching, how would you describe your style?

Ofugur, is your prof disorganized or organized generally? Does he have notes that he refers to frequently, or is he more free form? Can you usually follow the logic of the class progression? How does he present the material (e.g., powerpoint, lecture, discussion, circle discussion)? I'm interested in knowing if there's a correlation between NF personality preference and a penchant for more radical pedagogy (making the students and the instructor equal in terms of power and so forth).

I only taught a single semester at a local community college, so I didn't really get a chance to learn from my 'rookie errors', but my thoughts...

First, I taught "Introduction to C", which is a computer programming class, so I didn't go into the touchy-feely. However, I was at my best when we would get slightly off topic into things that were still computer related, but less detailed-oriented and more big-picture. Oftentimes when we'd get off track I'd lose myself in the conversation with the class and manage to slip in some humor, and during those times I could feel the energy and tell I had their attention. However, I'm pretty good at intuitively sensing the passing of time, so I'd snap out of it and go back to the lecture, killing the energy and momentum I had just generated.

I think the material was inherently dry (oohh... memory allocation, incrementing FOR loops, sorting arrays.. RIVETING), but I tried my best to explain things in simple terms initially, and build upon them to the more complicated material. To help I often created visual illustrations and used metaphors, with perhaps even overdoing the metaphors. I remember using an egg carton to help explain a two dimensional array, and if I had thought of it I would have hard boiled my eggs and 'accidently' dropped one near a students desk for a bit of a joke. :D Overall I was very proud of my lectures, and considered it my strength.

On the minus side, I wasn't really a good lecturer. I felt nervous and tense, and the material inherently doesn't play to my emotional passions, so I was a bit 'off'. Some of that would have gone away with experience, but I didn't really outgrow it during the semester. I preferred MS Power Point (with lecture specific notes on the bottom) and used the chalk board to explain more dynamic things like linked lists, but I pretty much stuck to my lecture as my life line. It didn't help that I didn't write and prep my lecture until the day before, not giving me a chance to practice it. Sadly, that also caused my overall semester structure to be a bit sloppy... something I would correct if I ever taught again.

I was generally pretty lax in rules that other teachers freak out about. I took attendance, but was up front with my class that they are adults and attendance won't directly affect their grades, but COULD play a role in leniency for border line cases at the end of the semester. Turns out, it did. I had two students get a 59% (failing), one of whom I spent alot of time with, did all their homework, and attended all of the class, and another that only showed up for the tests. I passed one and failed the other. The one that failed asked if there was anything that he could do, after hearing about his final grade, and told him no, his grade stands. I also gathered my paper work together to make my case if he were to try and argue it. (Felt terrible about the whole thing afterward, too.)

Wow, that grew long. I'll end by saying that I was always open to my students and would go above and beyond to help them with any issues they had. While my end of semester evals hit me hard when it came to lectures, I received top of the line scores for responsiveness and helpfulness.

Anja

MBTI Type
INFP
I've taught both High School English and various 101 level college classes as a grad assistant.

My style is pretty obviously INFP. I like interactive teaching and lecturing. It's important to me to get to know my students and I work for individual involvement. I reinforce mutual respect.

While I value being prepared for each classroom session I tend to be flexible and and open to students' different ideas. A skill I value is to be able to take the various thoughts and draw them into a meaningful conclusion at the end of each class. I tried to apply what we were discussing to RL.

I'm fun and sometimes funny; kids like me and I like them. Loved that hour with the students and despised the bureaucracy which overlaid and squelched the learning process.

BlueScreen

Fail 2.0
MBTI Type
YMCA
I'm ENFP.

My teaching style is really laid back, interactive, personal, and I tend to think on the fly. Work a lot one on one with people, and work on a pretty high connection level with students; like get to know each student, and adapt to each student's style of learning. I'm very non-authoritarian, and usually meet students on a level playing field. I break quite a few of the set teaching guidelines also.

I always think of Robbin Williams in Dead Poets Society as a good example of the ENFP type teacher. Reinforce the imaginative side of the students, and to a point let them lead and move beyond the rules of the classroom. Sometimes completely ignore the rules of the classroom. (I'm a little saner than Robbin Williams though)

kiddykat

movin melodies
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4, 7
Back in the days, I used to teach an after school program for elementary school kids and then in college, I tutored math to adults and people my age..

My teaching style was more about really listening to each student and really giving them quality time. Everyone's personalities different. Some people require more of a personal kind of communication. Some people are a bit more impersonal, straightforward, wanna get things done 'now' kind of attitude. So it takes some adjusting for each personality type.

With kids, I think it's a more sensitive approach. There are some kids who are the *bullying* types, who are popular and know how to kiss butt, so they'll play politics (yes- kids are just as smart, they can be just as conniving- these kids grow up to be politicians), so I have to be aware of that and make sure that the target of their bullying gets a fair chance, too. Addressing boundaries is important just as much as validation. So it's fair to really listen to all sides. They all need to be 'heard.'

Teaching really is a hard job. I commend teachers. They get paid way too little for the time and effort they put in. It really is more than a full-time job.

Lastly, it's also important to make learning a fun experience. Kids actively learn when they're having fun. It's good to break the ice by getting them to do something exciting *together* as a way to enhance the group experience, to promote teamwork, unity. It's also beneficial to get them to laugh at themselves so they're not too hard on themselves. When they take things lightly, the build self-esteem, which ultimately leads them to want to learn more. Sometimes, this also requires a mixture between goofiness and seriousness on the teacher's part. Teaching truly is an art. Good Luck!

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
Thanks for all the replies :). I will get back with something more substantive to say in response later, but for now I just want to bump the thread.

Actually, I would like to remark on the similarity of the responses so far. It seems that most of you prefer to be non-authoritarian and humorous (which I suppose I could have guessed myself), but I would still like to know how it 'feels' to you when you do it. Do you have to have an organized plan to be comfortable lecturing? Do you feel insecure in front of the students? Do you prefer lecturing to pure discussion (I'm thinking of the formats where you're in a circle and all that goes on is group discussion, which may or may not correspond to your plan for the lesson)? How do you deal with silences during discussion, if you have any?

Anyway, I appreciate the responses so far, thanks.

kiddykat

movin melodies
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4, 7
-Hey, No problem..

.. It really depends on the teaching environment and grade level. I know that in Cali, the k-6th grade level (perhaps even k-12), teachers are required to write up 'lesson plans,' which are basically packets that include an ENTIRE detailed, step-by-step outline of the lesson objectives and required materials. Takes forever to write one on top of grading papers. In that sense, it's pretty structured and unspontaneous. With kids, I took more of an informal approach. Yes- it's intimidating, especially not taking an authoritative role. It has its consequences. Keep in mind different types of student behaviors (ex- instrumental & hostile aggression) in order to set appropriate boundaries.

Maybe these forums can offer some more in depth information:
A to Z Teacher Stuff Forum
Teacher Focus

Usehername

On a mission
INFP (heavy on all 4 letters; really unbalanced guy though kind):

*Let people quietly whisper while he was talking but was utterly offended when a student was talking and another student was whispering during class (he stopped everyone and took a moment to make it clear that "If you're going to talk over me, fine. But don't talk over your classmates. That is tasteless and completely disrespectful. You can leave the classroom if you're going to do that."

*Took loads of time to provide insightful and extremely thorough comments on papers and marked them very quickly for us to learn from for the next assignment

*Was all about class discussion, though he did have his long and passionate didactic moments

*Had created a few enemies by the end of the term (again, he was very unbalanced with his 4 letters) because people had a really difficult time seeing where he was coming from, so they took things personally that really were just heavily INFP perspectives meant to be helpful and NF and all that. I taught some people MBTI and 3 of the "troublemakers" were like, "Oh. Well, if he really sees it this way, I totally see why he would react like that. I guess I can be more respectful to him in turn, then." :wubbie:

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
-Hey, No problem..

.. It really depends on the teaching environment and grade level. I know that in Cali, the k-6th grade level (perhaps even k-12), teachers are required to write up 'lesson plans,' which are basically packets that include an ENTIRE detailed, step-by-step outline of the lesson objectives and required materials. Takes forever to write one on top of grading papers. In that sense, it's pretty structured and unspontaneous. With kids, I took more of an informal approach. Yes- it's intimidating, especially not taking an authoritative role. It has its consequences. Keep in mind different types of student behaviors (ex- instrumental & hostile aggression) in order to set appropriate boundaries.

Maybe these forums can offer some more in depth information:
A to Z Teacher Stuff Forum
Teacher Focus

Thanks for the information. I'm not really looking for any particular solutions here (though I see that it is a useful side-effect of the thread)...I just know that these are typical issues that teachers face, and I wanted to hear about the specific internal feelings or thoughts that go on with INFP's when they handle them. I'm really trying to compare it to what I experience internally when I face similar situations.

Thanks for that, usehername. That's interesting that the MBTI information made them less irate.

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Do you have to have an organized plan to be comfortable lecturing?

Yes. I could and would get off topic, but I needed that plan to keep my bearings. The one class where I had a 'looser' agenda didn't turn out so well.

Do you feel insecure in front of the students?

Public speaking isn't my strong suit, so that caused me some angst. However, I was secure in my authority, and actually the public speaking was easier than if I were giving a presentation to my peers.

Do you prefer lecturing to pure discussion (I'm thinking of the formats where you're in a circle and all that goes on is group discussion, which may or may not correspond to your plan for the lesson)?

The material didn't really lend itself out to that. If I were to teach again, I'd probably throw that in there somewhat.

BlueScreen

Fail 2.0
MBTI Type
YMCA
Thanks for all the replies :). I will get back with something more substantive to say in response later, but for now I just want to bump the thread.

Actually, I would like to remark on the similarity of the responses so far. It seems that most of you prefer to be non-authoritarian and humorous (which I suppose I could have guessed myself), but I would still like to know how it 'feels' to you when you do it. Do you have to have an organized plan to be comfortable lecturing? Do you feel insecure in front of the students? Do you prefer lecturing to pure discussion (I'm thinking of the formats where you're in a circle and all that goes on is group discussion, which may or may not correspond to your plan for the lesson)? How do you deal with silences during discussion, if you have any?

Anyway, I appreciate the responses so far, thanks.

I like to know the topics down to first principles. And like to have the key formulas at my disposal. After that I just work freely depending on what is happening. It can be very reactive. I don't feel insecure in front of students, but feel like I'm not teaching them as well as I could when I have to speak to the whole class in a formal way. It feels really impersonal.

I don't mind group discussions because I can just throw in a comment occasionally to change the direction. It's sort of second nature for an ENFP. I don't mind silences, but if I'm a little disinterested and there is silence, I'm not really as assertive as I should be. If there is something to say though I'll get discussion going again. If you've met many ENFPs, you'll know we can be hard to shut up.

ttyni

MBTI Type
infp
I'm a 28 year-old male INFP and taught 6th grade for two consecutive years last year in a Title 1 elementary k-6 school. It was insanely difficult and although meaningful, I felt like I was drowning in all the details. In order to succeed and keep up, I felt like I had to disown my personality type and become something different, something more "J" like. I thrived on teaching writing and group discussions, but oftentimes the pressures for test scores forced me to teach the formulas rather than the process of learning how to learn, the exploration, and the fun! Internally, I felt like a wreck when dealing with student behavior. Everything felt so personal to me and like someone said earlier, I was most upset when students would show disrespect to one another. Externally, I had my systems, and was pretty consistent but i felt robotic and lifeless. Exposing my "real" self felt way too unsafe, so I took on an exterior of indifference, strictness, organization, and structure. Unfortunately my students didn't get to see much of my humor which is a big part of me. I would say I was a good teacher but didn't feel like myself. I have taken the year off and have decided to try to get into school counseling - something that feels like a much better fit.

gromit

likes this
I taught Sunday School for several years, not the same as being a school teacher. There were lessons manuals we were supposed to teach from, but sometimes I just played games with the kids or adapted it more to their circumstances, focusing on being a good person, sticking up for yourself, working in school, etc. A lot of the times the example stories included in the lesson were cheesy/ridiculous, particularly considering the kinds of home life and economic backgrounds these kids came from.

I just wanted them to have a positive experience and not be mean to each other. The kids were so fun though, and made me so happy, and said some of the funniest things. I did really like it, even though they were pretty crazy and pretty much would have been climbing all over the walls if they’d had their way. Disciplining them was one of the hardest parts to me. I wonder if I’d be better at it now though.

Tantive

MBTI Type
INFP
I can tell you what people think of me when I teach my pupils of 60+ in age in computer. I leave no place for people to feel stupid about their mistakes or fears in exploration. Infact I usually have them leave behind those thoughts as quickly as possible, so they can focus on what they want to learn. My pupils have commented that I posses allot of patience, and they do not feel rushed to do something. And I challenge them to recreate certain conditions with only their recent memory or self written notes to guide them.

thisGuy

MBTI Type
entp
From my experience, they tend to be (I have had 2 INFP English teachers: a male- 2 years, a female- 1 semester):
very random in discussions... never knew where they would go next.
Lenient
Laidback
strict when grading papers-perfectionists
truly interested in getting to know students (fairly good at reading people)
open-minded
non-conformist- never really had traditional book work
sensitive to the emotional energy in a room
calm demeanor/low- energy
hidden deepness inside (cheesy, I know)
soft spoken
thoughtful
passionate/strong opinions
disorganized
try to make the students see from multiple perspectives
they wanted to have an impact on their students like teaching was their cause

The male teacher talked a lot about things like the purpose of life, love, death, rejection, epistemology. I guess,in short, the deeper things in life.

I'm not sure if this is what you're exactly looking for... some points may be a bit irrelevant, sorry.

This, in my experience

I think that INFPs take on a separate persona when they are teaching (i.e. talking about their strengths). They will strive for perfection and expect the same of their students/others in the field. In unrelated conversations, however, they are very laid back and easy to get along with.

I know from a friend who is starting to lecture on highly technical stuff