• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NF] theory about Fe & Fi

lorkan

MBTI Type
INFJ
This might be old news for you, and correct me if I'm wrong. But, in theory, would Fi be the ones that want to reciev love (meaning: feeling loved) and Fe the ones that wants to give (meaning: appreciate others)? This could mean in general, that Fe needs to idolize people or things while Fi needs to be object of attention. Because if Fi gets to be object of attention, the Fi person can be fully understood and be able to be led or influenced. If Fi don't get enough attention, wich is essential, the Fi person can "too" wrapped up in itself and have desire to not change. And because the Fe needs to idolize, the Fe person can be able appreciate others to no bounderies (almost obssesion) and can lift up others confidence and enthusiasm. However, if Fe does not have full attention, the Fe may be prone to constant moodswing and may look at things in black or white (evil vs good).

Maybe this didn't bring a new perspective to you. But it did for me.

This, as I see it.... shit need to post again...

lorkan

MBTI Type
INFJ
This, as I see It, would mean that the Fe person would need to keep picturing an idolized of their mate to truly appreciate him/her and It would be the only way to encourage the Fi to actually change. The Fe needs to lead the other to leadership and they would both have equal influence.

lorkan

MBTI Type
INFJ
Ok I'm I just saying same things others already been mentioning, I get this deja-vu feeling. But when I first thought of this It felt all new to me.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I thought it was an interesting idea, although I disagree with much of it.

The part that interested me is that Fi is directed introvertedly -- according to MBTI theory, like every other introverted function, it starts with itself, moves outward, then back to itself again as the end result.

Fe does the opposite.

This was probably the biggest connection I saw with what you said, but I think the specifics you describe are reading far too much into the functions.

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
The part that interested me is that Fi is directed introvertedly -- according to MBTI theory, like every other introverted function, it starts with itself, moves outward, then back to itself again as the end result.
You can't argue with obvious truth like that! *kills self*

Lateralus

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
3w4

Fe does the opposite.

This was probably the biggest connection I saw with what you said, but I think the specifics you describe are reading far too much into the functions.
If you applied your statement to the OP, he would have it backwards. Fe dominants need to be loved and Fi dominants need to love.

Edit: He has almost everything backwards.

BlueScreen

Fail 2.0
MBTI Type
YMCA
This might be old news for you, and correct me if I'm wrong. But, in theory, would Fi be the ones that want to reciev love (meaning: feeling loved) and Fe the ones that wants to give (meaning: appreciate others)? This could mean in general, that Fe needs to idolize people or things while Fi needs to be object of attention. Because if Fi gets to be object of attention, the Fi person can be fully understood and be able to be led or influenced. If Fi don't get enough attention, wich is essential, the Fi person can "too" wrapped up in itself and have desire to not change. And because the Fe needs to idolize, the Fe person can be able appreciate others to no bounderies (almost obssesion) and can lift up others confidence and enthusiasm. However, if Fe does not have full attention, the Fe may be prone to constant moodswing and may look at things in black or white (evil vs good).

Maybe this didn't bring a new perspective to you. But it did for me.

This, as I see it.... shit need to post again...

Dismiss all of these thoughts, keep an open mind that there are things that are different that you can't instinctively understand, and read up on it more. It is a nice theory but a long way from anything valid or truthful.

If I learnt one thing from the other Fe vs Fi threads it is that just because you can't see the way someone else sees doesn't mean it is not valid. You need to start from the idea that as INFJ you share none of your first four cognitive functions with xNFP. It is like going into a new culture that is completely unrelated to your own, and your starting point should be to view it that way. The customs from your culture don't really exist in the other culture, and the way your culture does things aren't really observed. But it doesn't mean the other culture is wrong or selfish or needs to conform to your culture to be acceptable. They have their way of doing things and their way of loving. This is what you should be looking to learn if you want to understand it. Celebrate difference :).

p.s. NFPs are also pretty important in society when it comes to caring for others, just more covert; we don't like it to be a show. Which is probably what introverted normally means...

Siegfried

MBTI Type
?
Dismiss all of these thoughts, keep an open mind that there are things that are different that you can't instinctively understand, and read up on it more. It is a nice theory but a long way from anything valid or truthful.

If I learnt one thing from the other Fe vs Fi threads it is that just because you can't see the way someone else sees doesn't mean it is not valid. You need to start from the idea that as INFJ you share none of your first four cognitive functions with xNFP. It is like going into a new culture that is completely unrelated to your own, and your starting point should be to view it that way. The customs from your culture don't really exist in the other culture, and the way your culture does things aren't really observed. But it doesn't mean the other culture is wrong or selfish or needs to conform to your culture to be acceptable. They have their way of doing things and their way of loving. This is what you should be looking to learn if you want to understand it. Celebrate difference :).

p.s. NFPs are also pretty important in society when it comes to caring for others, just more covert; we don't like it to be a show. Which is probably what introverted normally means...

Thats fine, but as a NFP myself, I say the same advice should be followed by us, taking xNFJ's things personally is also a mistake, since there are different functions. I like different cultures/ personalities already and others do, so what did you say that? Exempting BlueWing, lol.

Helping others without showing is good in some circumstances, but often when one doesn't tell the other what he or she feels, it becomes difficult for even other NFPs to know why a person may be happy or upset, since no misunderstanding is clarified and compounded with the sensitivity, it only creates even more miscommunication.

lorkan

MBTI Type
INFJ

Fe does the opposite.

Ok, so its something like this?:

Fi: "I want that... *grabbing or applying external object*... ahh, now I'm satisfied"

Fe: "What do people want?.... *thinking to itself if this works (gift, hug, kiss etc)*... now love me!"

noigm: I have usually no problem whatsoever to accept others viewpoints, I just got a potential other viewpoint of it, though it may have showed itself invalid. Just the fact that I tried to look from it from another perspective is progress for me. I'm very accepting of others cultures btw.

lorkan

MBTI Type
INFJ
I'm sorry for stirring up unpleasant emotions, though I can't correctly see right from wrong (morally) when I try to reflect. I will be impersonal and quiet aloof to others emotions.

BlueScreen

Fail 2.0
MBTI Type
YMCA
Ok, so its something like this?:

Fi: "I want that... *grabbing or applying external object*... ahh, now I'm satisfied"

Fi: "What do people want?.... *thinking to itself if this works (gift, hug, kiss etc)*... now love me!"

noigm: I have usually no problem whatsoever to accept others viewpoints, I just got a potential other viewpoint of it, though it may have showed itself invalid. Just the fact that I tried to look from it from another perspective is progress for me. I'm very accepting of others cultures btw.

Cool, yeh I didn't mean to offend or say you won't in any way :). Sorry if it seemed I did. Just was trying to give an idea of what you are looking at.

It's good you are seeking. It took me a while to understand too. It's always hard to believe from the other side, but we are both guilty of ending up with a similar viewpoint. The values are aimed in different directions so in our value system Fe can seem self seeking and selfish also, though it isn't any more than Fi is. The main difference seems that one looks at society from a social viewpoint (Fe), one looks at it from a personal viewpoint (Fi). In pursuit of their goals both seem to cross the other's value boundaries a lot, and because each values one viewpoint less it seems the other is uncaring in their domain.

Siegfried

MBTI Type
?
Cool, yeh I didn't mean to offend or say you won't in any way :). Sorry if it seemed I did. Just was trying to give an idea of what you are looking at.

It's good you are seeking. It took me a while to understand too. It's always hard to believe from the other side, but we are both guilty of ending up with a similar viewpoint. The values are aimed in different directions so in our value system Fe can seem self seeking and selfish also, though it isn't any more than Fi is. The main difference seems that one looks at society from a social viewpoint (Fe), one looks at it from a personal viewpoint (Fi). In pursuit of their goals both seem to cross the other's value boundaries a lot, and because each values one viewpoint less it seems the other is completely uncaring in their domain. Really F is the thing that stands for want to help people and society, not its introverted/extroverted position.

No worries, about that. There can be confusion in the overlap, I guess its natural, we all learn from each other, Fi from Fe, Fe from Fi, since they are similar yet different it helps us all grow in our whole understanding of F combined. :)

lorkan

MBTI Type
INFJ
noigmn said:
It's good you are seeking. It took me a while to understand too. It's always hard to believe from the other side, but we are both guilty of ending up with a similar viewpoint. The values are aimed in different directions so in our value system Fe can seem self seeking and selfish also, though it isn't any more than Fi is. The main difference seems that one looks at society from a social viewpoint (Fe), one looks at it from a personal viewpoint (Fi). In pursuit of their goals both seem to cross the other's value boundaries a lot, and because each values one viewpoint less it seems the other is uncaring in their domain.

Yeah totally!
It's bad that I'm stuck with extroverted feeling and not introverted as a second function, I would have understood things a little bit faster. Though, It will keep flowing "how does this work"-questions in my head :/ .... your introverted feeling advises reminds me of what is important to know and gives me answers I didn't know I needed. :p

BlueScreen

Fail 2.0
MBTI Type
YMCA
No worries, about that. There can be confusion in the overlap, I guess its natural, we all learn from each other, Fi from Fe, Fe from Fi, since they are similar yet different it helps us all grow in our whole understanding of F combined. :)

To Fs! (hmm no beer emoticon)

BlueScreen

Fail 2.0
MBTI Type
YMCA
Yeah totally!
It's bad that I'm stuck with extroverted feeling and not introverted as a second function, I would have understood things a little bit faster. Though, It will keep flowing "how does this work"-questions in my head :/ .... your introverted feeling advises reminds me of what is important to know and gives me answers I didn't know I needed. :p

:) thanks!

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
I came to think of it, that Fe is the actual ability to express your feelings towards the outside world, while Fi is not.

And the consequenes of that shalt be left open for imagination

lorkan

MBTI Type
INFJ
Let's say I imagined it, I think it seems kind of interesting anyway. This may be a typeclash between NE vs NI. I just can't stop imagining and coming up with theories. Denying me that would leave me quiet insane after awhile.

EDIT: I meant ofcourse that I also need to talk to a somewhat progressive thinker for feedback, not just keeping it inside my head.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
I think you imagined it about right. You just need to get rid of evil side notes, because Fi and Fe really do manifest in alot of different ways in types. And with evil side notes I mean, like :"Fi:*thinking to itself if this works (gift, hug, kiss etc)*... now love me!"

I myself am not yet ready to accept feeling to be selfish :D. Therefore I can think of it manifesting from selfish to benevolent in many forms in types.

We had that discussion about the introverted nature of functions. And we said: an introverted nature to a function means that someone draws his reasoning process by how the outside world affects the self. That means he needs time to think about things and to come to a conclusion.

While the extraverted reasoning style is more concerned with assessing the self through gaining knowledge through the feelings of others.

It has to be said that this theory only applies to reasoning functions, which are F and T. With perceiving functions the whole thing really gets weired and according to MBTI, your primary is perceiving

lorkan

MBTI Type
INFJ
entropie: Is it safe to make the assumtion that the introverted f/t needs to have a whole lifetime of reflection in order to feel committed or think clearly, while a person with extraverted t/f could be the most logical/most wise in any situation or be most emotionally invested in any given moment?

Atm, I'm not charged emotionally. I kinda of was in a previous post (were you made quotation) due to a little frustration. It doesn't really matter why right now cause I'm chill.