• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NF] theory about Fe & Fi

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
According to the tangible logic of MBTI theory the assumption is not false.

But I personally think that an introverted f or t is more in touch with the self, as you are for example as an introverted N. And therefore, keeping in mind that everyone only sees the life through his pairs of eyes, the introverted n/f/t/s way, will lead to the greatest wisdom.

An Extroverted n/f/t/s on the other hand, will be always in need of a good audience. Because otherwise he can not bounce off his ideas, feelings, thoughts or experiences.

lorkan

MBTI Type
INFJ
I may not be so overly in touch with myself, but I'm highly in touch of were my life is going and what actions I, and others, do and the consequenses of them (Ni?). I actually rarely finding myself, any longer, giving away warm, pleasant Fe without some proper perceptions of people. And Ni has also helped me using Fe in different ways.

wildcat

MBTI Type
INTP
This might be old news for you, and correct me if I'm wrong. But, in theory, would Fi be the ones that want to reciev love (meaning: feeling loved) and Fe the ones that wants to give (meaning: appreciate others)? This could mean in general, that Fe needs to idolize people or things while Fi needs to be object of attention. Because if Fi gets to be object of attention, the Fi person can be fully understood and be able to be led or influenced. If Fi don't get enough attention, wich is essential, the Fi person can "too" wrapped up in itself and have desire to not change. And because the Fe needs to idolize, the Fe person can be able appreciate others to no bounderies (almost obssesion) and can lift up others confidence and enthusiasm. However, if Fe does not have full attention, the Fe may be prone to constant moodswing and may look at things in black or white (evil vs good).

Maybe this didn't bring a new perspective to you. But it did for me.

This, as I see it.... shit need to post again...
Yes.
A sound observation.

The P introverts the rational functions.
The J introverts perception.

What turns the tide?
Field dependence.

There are four field independent functions.
Fi is only one of them.

alcea rosea

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
This might be old news for you, and correct me if I'm wrong. But, in theory, would Fi be the ones that want to reciev love (meaning: feeling loved) and Fe the ones that wants to give (meaning: appreciate others)? This could mean in general, that Fe needs to idolize people or things while Fi needs to be object of attention. Because if Fi gets to be object of attention, the Fi person can be fully understood and be able to be led or influenced. If Fi don't get enough attention, wich is essential, the Fi person can "too" wrapped up in itself and have desire to not change. And because the Fe needs to idolize, the Fe person can be able appreciate others to no bounderies (almost obssesion) and can lift up others confidence and enthusiasm. However, if Fe does not have full attention, the Fe may be prone to constant moodswing and may look at things in black or white (evil vs good).

Actually I idolize Fe (or my Fi idolizes it, I don't know ;) )and especially ENFJ's and some ESFJ's charisma is totally something I find very hard to resist (and for some reason I want to resist it).

lorkan

MBTI Type
INFJ
alcea rocea: Why do you want to resist it if you feel pulled to it?

Leysing

MBTI Type
FiSi
Actually I idolize Fe (or my Fi idolizes it, I don't know ;) )and especially ENFJ's and some ESFJ's charisma is totally something I find very hard to resist (and for some reason I want to resist it).

Heh, same here. Fe is like a magnet to me (isn't it to everyone?) - and yes, I want and try to resist the magnetism because I want to be independent and not bound to other people. :doh: (Another reason is that some (unbalanced?) Fe dominants are too intense and smothering/suffocating to me. I start to feel claustrophobic.)

mwv6r

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I tend to agree with the original poster's assessment of Fi / Fe. (or at least my interpretation of her interpretation! lol) I think the differences between Fi/Fe and other traits (Ni/Ne, etc.) are very interesting. I do think that Fi's and Fe's tend to "click" with each other, and I notice that especially whenever I'm around an INFP or ENFP friend (I'm an INFJ). It's almost like I'm looking for someone to nurture and appreciate, and they're looking to be nurtured/appreciated. Don't know if that's coming across right, so let me try another example:

I also find that I tend to click with ENTPs and INTPs (types that many sensors find quirky, outlandish, or over-the-top) because my introverted intuition is a good match for their extroverted intuition -- I find their humor and comments insightful and hilarious, and they seem to appreciate someone who can catch the crazy ideas that they like to spout out.

Back to the Fi/Fe dichotomy, I'm glad someone started this thread because I've been very curious about the differences and similarities between Fi's and Fe's for a long time. My random observations on introverted feelers versus extroverted feelers are that introverted feelers can keep their emotions hidden much better than extroverted feelers. Growing up their were many times my feelings were hurt and I would try desperately to hold back tears but it was hopeless, my feelings showed right on my face for everyone to see, and people could often spot immediately when I was upset, even if I tried to hide it. But I've noticed that my introverted feeler friends can remain stoic and emotionless during something that would upset me. Afterwards I tell them I don't know how they stayed so calm and collected, and they tell me they weren't, that they felt awful inside but it just didn't show. Also, I hate to admit it but I feel very upset and anxious when people are unhappy or angry with me for whatever reason, and I often obsess over whether I unintentionally said something rude in a social situation. My introverted feeler friends do not seem as bothered when someone is angry with them. It is as though their feelings and sense of well-being come from their inner being, while mine come from my interactions with others. Just some thoughts!

lorkan

MBTI Type
INFJ
mv6r: Interesting. I've had similar experience. And the post your reading above yours, from Leyising, could be Fe's without enough attention or preciation of the Fi in the room.

lorkan

MBTI Type
INFJ
Leysing: Is there any time you haven't felt suffocated by an Fe with secondary or first function?

Leysing

MBTI Type
FiSi
Leysing: Is there any time you haven't felt suffocated by an Fe with secondary or first function?

Yes. I usually feel quite comfortable with IFJs, as they are not so outside-oriented and need pretty much space themselves (or so I suppose).

But Fe doms... I like being around them because they give this warm vibe to me (Fi+Si?) if they give me space and do not pay too intense attention on me. If they are mature enough to allow others their required alone time and space, then no problem.

(But, like I said, if they start to focus too intensely on me - especially if they haven't exercised their Introverted function(s) and are extremely extroverted - my reaction is "EEK" -> :peepwall: )

redacted

Maybe this didn't bring a new perspective to you. But it did for me.

This, as I see it.... shit need to post again...

Fi, by definition, doesn't directly care about giving or receiving anything, as that stuff falls in the realm of extroversion. Fe cares about both.

lorkan

MBTI Type
INFJ
Leysing: In order to understand you may need our attention or else we act like you would be some sort of dog that don't obey and just generally be on you all the time. You wouldn't like that right?
As soon as we turn our back (metaphorically speaking), we would treat you like worthless again. In other words, Fe users need to be observant alot more around Fi.

dissonance: Noted.

BlueScreen

Fail 2.0
MBTI Type
YMCA
Fi, by definition, doesn't directly care about giving or receiving anything, as that stuff falls in the realm of extroversion. Fe cares about both.

F by definition isn't a caring function, it is a valuing function. Otherwise thinkers wouldn't care at all. Maybe think of it as thinking uses logic to choose the best option, whereas feeling tests things against a value set or set of parameters.

It is true Fi normally doesn't care about giving or receiving anything material. But tends to give a lot in the non-material.

The best description is that Fi as a valuing function values the introverted things, while Fe values the extroverted things. So Fe would value social values, the state of the world, the group goal etc., while Fi values personal things, like personal growth of people, whether they are being oppressed or damaged in any personal way, whether they are reaching their potential or seeing their dreams, etc.

They effectively complement eachother, just can be almost mutually exclusive so don't always see value in eachother.

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
F by definition isn't a caring function, it is a valuing function. Otherwise thinkers wouldn't care at all.
Technically incorrect, as whatever system you use, everyone uses every function.

BlueScreen

Fail 2.0
MBTI Type
YMCA
Technically incorrect, as whatever system you use, everyone uses every function.

Yeh :). To clarify, what I meant is that thinkers can care as a result of their thinking function's output. It is not the development of an inferior or tertiary feeling that makes them care.

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Does Fe and Fi always get discussed more than the other functions on this forum or has this just been a recent trend?

lorkan

MBTI Type
INFJ
Does Fe and Fi always get discussed more than the other functions on this forum or has this just been a recent trend?

I thought Fi/Fe was about the LEAST discussed topic on this forum. But I could be wrong.

EDIT: It would be interesting to hear you SFJ's and SFP's inputs :)

Skyward

Badoom~
MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
9w1
Random Post without reading the thread. I hope the OP was talking about the different between Fe and Fi and smothery-ness.

Fi: Its more of an internal self, wanting to keep true to yourself and values/what you think is right. Fi if imbalanced can be either too cold on the outside (You don't follow my values. Burn in a fire) or overly mushy ('I hope I didn't offend you at all.' every 5 seconds to the point of :steam: for the receiving end)

Fe: I think its more like politeness than Fi is. People see it as shallow because essentially it is, but it's paired with an introverted function so its as deep as how developed the person's Xi is. I dont think Ghandi was shallow, neither was Jesus :D
-Smotheriness: Its really a balance/maturity thing. My dad is an INFJ and he doesn't constantly praise/manipulate (I mean this in a good way, manipulate as in try and point someone in the right direction). He only does when he feels its necessary. I love 'em :)

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I thought Fi/Fe was about the LEAST discussed topic on this forum. But I could be wrong.

Oh. Maybe I only see the threads about Fe and Fi then.

EDIT: It would be interesting to hear you SFJ's and SFP's inputs :)

See Jeffster. He's Speaker of the xSFx House.