• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Jungian Cognitive Functions] So How Would You React?

G

Glycerine

Do you know what teachers are paid? I'm amazed the school system found someone as classy as him. You get what you pay for.

LMAO, it was a fairly expensive private Catholic school. When I went to public school, none of the teachers were never quite as classy as he was.

Chukamok

MBTI Type
IXFP
LMAO, it was a fairly expensive private Catholic school. When I went to public school, none of the teachers were never quite as classy as he was.
Expensive private Catholic school? That changes everything. I would have voted to burn him at the stake or whatever the appropriate punishment is in an expensive private catholic school. It's like I always say, money can't buy you everything:cheese:

G

Glycerine

Expensive private Catholic school? That changes everything. I would have voted to burn him at the stake or whatever the appropriate punishment is in an expensive private catholic school. It's like I always say, money can't buy you everything:cheese:

haha agreed!

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE
Hey IDK, first, good for you for having your own standards. You should NEVER feel that just because you're the 'only one' showing that you're offended or bothered by something that you're wrong. I just wanted to post a counterpoint. I have to respectfully disagree with the first page of posts saying to let it roll of your shoulders or just grow a thicker skin.

No.

You can definitely still value your own standards and values and reactions to things while still seeing it in a larger context and understanding where the teacher is coming from. They aren't mutually exclusive. I don't think you're saying the teacher is a bad person or 'sucks' just because he said what he did. You are allowed your own opinion and it is totally valid.

In this case, you have a direct relationship with this man (teacher) and he is in a position of authority over you and your peers. It's definitely within your right to assess whether you think he's acting professionally to your standards. Your reactions as his student are very relevant because it's his job to set an example for you in addition to leading a course for you.

Some people are more hierarchal than others, some not. I'm not a J, but I expect people in positions of authority to more or less act like it.

Anyhow, that comment about his fat ass girlfriend, I would've found very offensive. As a guy, he shouldn't be calling any woman a fat ass, even (especially?) his girlfriend. And especially in a room full of other guys signalling it's "okay" to talk like that to the girls in the class? And that girls shuold think it's funny and a term of endearment to be called that? Oh hell no.

I once had a PE teacher teaching sex ed who compared the hymen to a bag of chips. "If the seal is broken, you know it ain't fresh". Totally fucking inappropriate. Disgusting. Misogynistic. Blah blah blah. I wasn't in the class but a friend told me. He also had a reputation for feeling up girls on the soccer team (which he coached) Saying stupid shit can be a herald of doing stupid shit. We had a LOT of meat head unqualified teachers running around, because it was an international school that kinda scraped the bottom out of desperation for English speaking teachers. As an adult, I've seen a lot of dumbass young adults who can barely take care of fall into teaching 'just because'. So I have VERY LITTLE PATIENCE when it comes to 'bad behavior' in teachers.

Anyhow -- yeah, I can see why you'd be offended.

I think teachers and parents and adults these days feel a need to 'be one of the kids' and be friends with kids and have kids think they're "cool" or whatever the kids are saying these days. LAME. I'm too old school for that, I enjoyed my high school teachers who I could relate to and I would exchange CDs with them and shoot the breeze with but at the end of the day they need to act their age and their role. It's just like working with people -- I know my coworkers are people but at work, they have to be professional and get the job done.

Enough of that tangent, but IDK, yeah, I think you know you were offended and are looking for reassurance. Advice in general -- don't let anyone tell you you're wrong for that or have no 'right' to feel the way that you do. If you want to take your teacher aside later and explain to him how you feel, you can do that.

G

Glycerine

I enjoyed reading everybody's responses: both positive and negative. It was very informative. Just to let you guys know, I usually don't get easily offended or mad about most things people say. So I was trying to figure out why I got offended when the teacher made those type of comments.

plaguerat

MBTI Type
INTJ
I love teachers who show personality...shows they're people, and not afraid of showing who they are. Very much a trust thing, especially for those in a position of authority.

And yes, I would have personally laughed SO HARD.

Skyward

Badoom~
MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
9w1
Well it depends on the personality that is being shown...

My school is a 'new wave thing' AKA Charter School. Nearly all of the teachers are NFs so it's a lot more freeing in that way. Our gym teacher, though, is kind of hazy, but he's fine in the end I guess.

CzeCze hit it on the head what I was going to say :D

I would have found it kind of funny if it was an isolated incident, but considering it was common type banter, I probably would have gotten very irritated. "Oh boy... there he goes again..." type thinking.

Bubbles

See Right Through Me
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w3
Hey IDK, first, good for you for having your own standards. You should NEVER feel that just because you're the 'only one' showing that you're offended or bothered by something that you're wrong. I just wanted to post a counterpoint. I have to respectfully disagree with the first page of posts saying to let it roll of your shoulders or just grow a thicker skin.

No.

You can definitely still value your own standards and values and reactions to things while still seeing it in a larger context and understanding where the teacher is coming from. They aren't mutually exclusive. I don't think you're saying the teacher is a bad person or 'sucks' just because he said what he did. You are allowed your own opinion and it is totally valid.

In this case, you have a direct relationship with this man (teacher) and he is in a position of authority over you and your peers. It's definitely within your right to assess whether you think he's acting professionally to your standards. Your reactions as his student are very relevant because it's his job to set an example for you in addition to leading a course for you.

Some people are more hierarchal than others, some not. I'm not a J, but I expect people in positions of authority to more or less act like it.

Anyhow, that comment about his fat ass girlfriend, I would've found very offensive. As a guy, he shouldn't be calling any woman a fat ass, even (especially?) his girlfriend. And especially in a room full of other guys signalling it's "okay" to talk like that to the girls in the class? And that girls shuold think it's funny and a term of endearment to be called that? Oh hell no.

I once had a PE teacher teaching sex ed who compared the hymen to a bag of chips. "If the seal is broken, you know it ain't fresh". Totally fucking inappropriate. Disgusting. Misogynistic. Blah blah blah. I wasn't in the class but a friend told me. He also had a reputation for feeling up girls on the soccer team (which he coached) Saying stupid shit can be a herald of doing stupid shit. We had a LOT of meat head unqualified teachers running around, because it was an international school that kinda scraped the bottom out of desperation for English speaking teachers. As an adult, I've seen a lot of dumbass young adults who can barely take care of fall into teaching 'just because'. So I have VERY LITTLE PATIENCE when it comes to 'bad behavior' in teachers.

Anyhow -- yeah, I can see why you'd be offended.

I think teachers and parents and adults these days feel a need to 'be one of the kids' and be friends with kids and have kids think they're "cool" or whatever the kids are saying these days. LAME. I'm too old school for that, I enjoyed my high school teachers who I could relate to and I would exchange CDs with them and shoot the breeze with but at the end of the day they need to act their age and their role. It's just like working with people -- I know my coworkers are people but at work, they have to be professional and get the job done.

Enough of that tangent, but IDK, yeah, I think you know you were offended and are looking for reassurance. Advice in general -- don't let anyone tell you you're wrong for that or have no 'right' to feel the way that you do. If you want to take your teacher aside later and explain to him how you feel, you can do that.

THIS. This is my feeling exactly. I've had bad teachers, too, and sometimes enough small comments lead to an uneasy feeling. Trust it. Don't overreact, but trust it and be on your guard. Gut feels can be good sometimes, more often than bad, so I say go with it. And if you're offended, well, your feelings are your business. Feel how you want to feel.

And btw? That is NOT how to view INFPs. Frankly, if an INFP does not respect your viewpoint, I'd consider him a rude one, not the majority ruling. Normally we're quite empathetic.:yes:

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
i wouldn't be offended either. i don't expect people to always care about the same things as me...woulda laughed at the glen close comment and said yeeeahh...or something...but the other one woulda said....awww...that's not nice...but wouldn't really be offended, ya know?