• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ENFP] The challenge with ENFP's - do you recognize yourself?

alcea rosea

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
ENFP’s are many times described as charming, witty, funny etc. This all sounds really great or too good to be true :cheese: but let’s consider the other side of the coin and I mean let’s consider it the positive way (Hey – I’m an ENFP anyway).

So, I’ve been told that I’m too talkative and very challenging to talk to (a psychologist said this) because of my speed in talking and the speed my brain jumps from one thing to another to the third and back to the first and so on. I’ve been always thinking that my way of thinking is easy to follow and that it’s pretty easy to talk to me. Now I understand the trouble many people have with me. Sometimes I think it’s too many people who have trouble understanding my way of thinking.

Do you have the same problem/do people see this with ENFP’s?
Any other challenges people have with you fellow ENFP’s?

G-Virus

Broud Balestinian
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
ENFP’s are many times described as charming, witty, funny etc. This all sounds really great or too good to be true :cheese: but let’s consider the other side of the coin and I mean let’s consider it the positive way (Hey – I’m an ENFP anyway).

So, I’ve been told that I’m too talkative and very challenging to talk to (a psychologist said this) because of my speed in talking and the speed my brain jumps from one thing to another to the third and back to the first and so on. I’ve been always thinking that my way of thinking is easy to follow and that it’s pretty easy to talk to me. Now I understand the trouble many people have with me. Sometimes I think it’s too many people who have trouble understanding my way of thinking.

Ne is hard to keep up with for those that don't possess it because everything in your mind makes sense in how you came about it, but it can definitely be unclear to those observing it from the outside.

BlueScreen

Fail 2.0
MBTI Type
YMCA

That was so natural to read it isn't funny. But yeh, I suppose non-ENFPs might not follow as easily. Will be an interesting thread.

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I can totally relate to this. And the worst thing is, I do this in any language, whether I speak it well or not. It used to baffle my Russian teacher. And it gets even worse and more incoherent if you stress me.

Other things I've been called are: too blunt coz I don't polish my sentences sometimes enough, overwhelming, too nosy, aggressive (coz I was passionate about something), self-absorbed (coz I tend to relate personally to things that are told), intimidating, etc etc

And then there's the typical frustrations of: not answering your phone, not being somewhere on time, procrastination, not being aware of social obligations or forgetting about those, etc etc

G-Virus

Broud Balestinian
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
I can totally relate to this. And the worst thing is, I do this in any language, whether I speak it well or not. It used to baffle my Russian teacher. And it gets even worse and more incoherent if you stress me.

Other things I've been called are: too blunt coz I don't polish my sentences sometimes enough, overwhelming, too nosy, aggressive (coz I was passionate about something), self-absorbed (coz I tend to relate personally to things that are told), intimidating, etc etc

And then there's the typical frustrations of: not answering your phone, not being somewhere on time, procrastination, not being aware of social obligations or forgetting about those, etc etc

What happens if people over stress you? Does your Ne go on fire?

The second bolded part is why I love you guys.

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
What happens if people over stress you? Does your Ne go on fire?

The second bolded part is why I love you guys.

Yes, Ne just runs away, coz you wanna reply and give as much info to the person who is demanding something from you as possible. Unfortunately, our filter can't keep up with us then ;)

The bolded part actually happens to me when I'm too tired, too stressed or too passionate to put my raw thoughts through a filter. I don't mean to sound blunt or even offensive, but I just didn't have the capacity or time to reword it so it wouldn't sound that crude :)

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
yeah...it's a rare person that understands where i'm coming from or what i'm saying. :)
unless i'm really deep in a conversation with someone i don't like to use a lot of words...i think i view it as impolite...taking too much of their time or something...so i turn into a lazy talker and expect them to fill in the gaps...and it can be misunderstood...or come out too blunt.
i guess this is why people think i'm odd...haha...idk

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
yeah...it's a rare person that understands where i'm coming from or what i'm saying. :)
unless i'm really deep in a conversation with someone i don't like to use a lot of words...i think i view it as impolite...taking too much of their time or something...so i turn into a lazy talker and expect them to fill in the gaps...and it can be misunderstood...or come out too blunt.
i guess this is why people think i'm odd...haha...idk

LOL, that's interesting. I don't wanna take too much of their time either, that's why I talk so fast, it speeds the process up. Unfortunatly, they usually cannot keep up

Rachelinpa

MBTI Type
ENFP
I don't wanna take too much of their time either, that's why I talk so fast, it speeds the process up. Unfortunatly, they usually cannot keep up

I definitely can relate. I usually adjust my speech depending on the person I am speaking with. Sadly, most people would be confused if I talked like I wanted to--skipping tracks and jumping from idea to idea. Additionally, the people who are able to keep up, I usually overwhelm within minutes of realizing their capacity for understanding me... cause it's just so rare. Nevertheless, the few people in my life who verbally/mentally challenge me are some of my favorites.

PinkIceTD

MBTI Type
ENFP
:) I talk really fast too. especially when I'm telling a story i don't want to bore anyone so I try to skip teh narration and just tell the action parts. This usually ends up getting some reply like, "Riiiiight.:unsure:

My mom that I suspect is an ExFJ used to say that I was a procrastinator, when in actually I just never wanted to do boring things like chores. I wanted to play first then chores, if there was time.

My parents used buy me planners and tell me to make lists and organize things. After I graduated from college my mom tried to get me to make a 5 year plan. Pfft. What is this plan you speak of?

I mean granted, I've matured alot more so, I do what MUST be done. but if left to me I'm only doing the fun stuff, so I guess some would call it irresponsible.

I guess as a J parent that can also be viewed as stubborness.

Nillerz

MBTI Type
ENFP
Males are incapable of talking as fast or as fluently as females, but have a propensity for using larger words. I use that to my advantage by sprinking tons of obscure and sometimes very vivd adjectives over my verbal structurization.

Kestrel

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
2w1
Is it safe to assume that ENFPs are skilled with acquiring new language? I have a friend (whom I believe to be ENFP) who speaks English as a second language and it seems to come easier for her than others. She's totally uninhibited in expressing herself, even in her non-native language. The fact that her grammar is broken some of the time seems to be barely an afterthought to her.

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
dunno, could be. Interesting. Dutch is my maternal language, but English feels equally easy to me. And I speak several others. Grammar is my weakness, in every language, yes :) Any other ENFP's wanna chime in?

Nillerz

MBTI Type
ENFP
Nope. I tried for quite some time to pick up French and now I can say stuff like "le phuque dans la douche" but can't hold a conversation

BlueScreen

Fail 2.0
MBTI Type
YMCA
dunno, could be. Interesting. Dutch is my maternal language, but English feels equally easy to me. And I speak several others. Grammar is my weakness, in every language, yes :) Any other ENFP's wanna chime in?

I haven't ever learnt another language and am not sure if I am good at it or not. I might pick it up quickly if spoken to, but trying to learn from theory I never remember enough.

Yes, grammar is a weakness for me too. But I'm trying to focus on it more.

And I want to learn Dutch!! Have you got any pointers?

On nillerz post, I've got adjective phobia. You might notice in my messages. :)

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Euhm, how about, don't bother? Unless you live in a country where the language is used a lot, there's really no point ;)

If you really wanna, I suggest listening to the language as much as possible, and realizing that the fact that you already speak a Germanic language makes it a lot easier to learn another language of that group. Also, we have a lot of set phrases and faux friends, not to mention a staggering amount of dialects ;)

Ok now that I've sufficiantly scared you, if you are in love with a language, it's always worth learning it ;)

BlueScreen

Fail 2.0
MBTI Type
YMCA
Euhm, how about, don't bother? Unless you live in a country where the language is used a lot, there's really no point ;)

If you really wanna, I suggest listening to the language as much as possible, and realizing that the fact that you already speak a Germanic language makes it a lot easier to learn another language of that group. Also, we have a lot of set phrases and faux friends, not to mention a staggering amount of dialects ;)

Ok now that I've sufficiantly scared you, if you are in love with a language, it's always worth learning it ;)

It has a practical purpose :). I wasn't just a passing comment. Will try the listening part.

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Translator's Trick: try to learn the basic grammar and pick up a vocabulary list in the field that you need the language in ;)

Clownmaster

EvanTheClown (ETC)
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
I definitely can relate. I usually adjust my speech depending on the person I am speaking with

^^I have become a god at doing the abovementioned.

My problem as an ENFP is losing interest in projects too damn quick. I'm like a bottle rocket, a quick shot of energy catalyzed by the smallest flame and a lot to show for it, but then after my last boom of creativity, I lose interest.

Then I bottle rocket away into some other "great" idea