User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INFP

Default talents, hardwork, and luck : which matters the most?

the reason i post this topic is because i know there're some of you (not only me) who has a dreams to become an artist. and this kind of talk, is usually, just unavoidable. whether sooner or later, one (an artist) has to face it, and find the answer.

so the question is this:
    is whether it's talents, hardwork, or luck that matters the most?
    which one?

for example - i hope this wouldn't offend any fans out there, i'm just simply using these people as examples , and from my personal opinion too - in the case of musician, you sometimes see some 'unfairness' indeed that people like Britney Spears can get more famous than the 'talented' Norah Jones..
    but at the same time, though, i'm kinda glad that Christina Aguilerra (she's just soo talented, IMO) is also popular & selling well , a proof that talent + hardwork would result in something big. but what about folks like Britney, or those multitude of rappers out there, who seemingly can get rich & famous way too 'easily' ? ...is it because of the multitudes of people (or mainstream society) whom have little idea of who's the real talented one and who's not?

share your thoughts.

MBTI
    ENFj

I rather be lucky than good.
    ENFJ 3W4

If you read this I am sorry to say that you just lost 5 seconds of your life that you wont be getting back.*

*Actual time may vary.

MBTI
    INxx
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Luck, hardwork then talent. Luck being the most important. But all 3 is best.

It takes hard work, talent and then luck in that order.

Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Talent comes before hard work. Luck depends on the degree. We can all count on a little luck from time to time, but being born the child of a billionaire would be extreme luck.
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

Quote Originally Posted by The_Liquid_Laser View Post
    Talent comes before hard work. Luck depends on the degree. We can all count on a little luck from time to time, but being born the child of a billionaire would be extreme luck.
    It takes hard work to reveal talents and make something of them. They kind of go hand in hand but hard work seems the more important one to me.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w3
    Socionics
    INFp

I'd think about it in a different way; the three things a person needs to be successful is talent, hard work, and charisma. Half of luck is just knowing which strings to pull and how to get on the good sides of the right people.

However, in the light of the original post, I think hard work, talent, then luck. Some few people get lucky; most people have to work for it.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

First and foremost - Competence at what you're doing. No one really gives a flying fuck whether it comes from hard work alone, hard work and talent or just plain talent. The result is the same, you are either competent at what you're doing or not. If you are not competent, no amount of luck is going to save your ass.

Then, I'd give awareness of ability, risk, social surrounding and goal. Awareness does not indicate how "good" you are at doing something, but it indicates of how much you can profit from your competence. Naturally, if your main goal is to be profitable, awareness goes in front of competence in importance, but that is not always the case, because you don't need to "aware" by yourself, you can hire people to do this job for you. In the case of musicians, that's what the manager is there for.

Then we have luck. Luck is basically the ultimate short-term solution, luck is great at giving a head start, mid revival, a honorary end or a perfect chance. But it never overcomes competence, because competence is the difference between sustaining and taking the full advantage of the opportunity and just getting a single applause, or a one-night-stand.

If you have all of the skills required for the job, luck is only going to gives opportunities to give bursts of speed to going towards your goal, but it's never going to do the whole job. I'd consider luck to be a greatly appreciated compliment. Not a requirement.

Quote Originally Posted by niki View Post
    the reason i post this topic is because i know there're some of you (not only me) who has a dreams to become an artist. and this kind of talk, is usually, just unavoidable. whether sooner or later, one (an artist) has to face it, and find the answer.

so the question is this:
    is whether it's talents, hardwork, or luck that matters the most?
    which one?

for example - i hope this wouldn't offend any fans out there, i'm just simply using these people as examples , and from my personal opinion too - in the case of musician, you sometimes see some 'unfairness' indeed that people like Britney Spears can get more famous than the 'talented' Norah Jones..
    but at the same time, though, i'm kinda glad that Christina Aguilerra (she's just soo talented, IMO) is also popular & selling well , a proof that talent + hardwork would result in something big. but what about folks like Britney, or those multitude of rappers out there, who seemingly can get rich & famous way too 'easily' ? ...is it because of the multitudes of people (or mainstream society) whom have little idea of who's the real talented one and who's not?

share your thoughts.
    It's not competence, how lucky or good of a singer they are that's at work in this case. I'd say this goes nearly completely towards awareness. Both B.Spears and C.Aguilerra are in a highly "mainstream" field. Their audiences are several times higher, than those that N.Jones aims for. N.Jones is basically a niche singer.

MBTI
    INFJ

Thank you Darjur! A new hope has been given to me

i think in that case you mentioned ("getting into spolight" nowadays), its mainly the case of luck; you know there are many many talented people, and also many many hard working, and they just cant be "stars" all. Like Britney Spears IMO has got no exceptional talent, and I think she wasnt hard working, she was only the lucky b*tch at the right place at the right time, and someone made profit from her. But you know, if you are talentend you could break thought by working hard (like being competitive like fellow above me said, so you get yourself up and up and finally people start to notice you and so on.) - like e.g. Leona Lewis, but surely she has also a big deal of luck (probably more luck than hard-work).

In general cases, id choose from these 3 attributes surely talent, because its starting point, and possibilites then are almost unexhaustable, then secondly hard work (having talent is enough, and often you can beat others without so big talent in that area easily, but hard work can dramatically enhance your (or that "other's" ) abilities, and put the edge on the other side), and at last luck, because its something you cannot rely on.