• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NF] NF Artists?

penelope

MBTI Type
INxJ
Hi, I'm an INFJ, and have been onto this Myers-Brigg stuff and got many of my friends into it and have found that a lot of them are also NF types (interestingly, the majority of them INFP).

I myself am an artist, and many of my NF friends are involved in the arts (graphic design, music, painting, film, photography...).

I'm just curious to see if this is common with everyone else here that is an NF? I have this theory that we're all artistically inclined due to our intuitive/feeling nature.

Leysing

MBTI Type
FiSi
Freetime guitarist/harmonica player/photographer/sketcher (the last one is so P :D) + possible future graphic designer here.

...though I'm not sure about ALL of us being artistic. I think the Se + Fi combination has the most potential of producing great artists. (I suck in dealing with concrete things. I have always hated painting - the paintbrush doesn't obey me - and starting to play the guitar was agony.)

Last edited:

Lexlike

MBTI Type
InTP
Enneagram
4w5
so,in which un-concrete fields are NFs great? where can they use there intuition best??

BlueScreen

Fail 2.0
MBTI Type
YMCA
so,in which un-concrete fields are NFs great? where can they use there intuition best??

I don't know a lot about this for FJs, but INFPs have a habit of being brilliant and moving things to a new level in a range of artistic fields. The only really common thing is the scary core level of precision and exactness. In a way it doesn't fit with anything else, but try to pull it to pieces and call it wrong, and it suddenly feels like it always existed. They can seem like part of the mainstream almost (sometimes after their time), but don't resemble it at all. Think Shakespeare, John Lennon, Vincent Van Gogh, Kurt Cobain (maybe).

People's confusion with NFPs in these fields is often the expectation of what art is. In a way they are very un-artistic and imprecise in the traditional sense, but very creative and precise at the core. What they create is exactly what they want to create, not what the definition of art or the industry wants. Hence guys like Van Gogh and Shakespeare being seen as a little wacky and hacky in their times.

Kyrielle

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Hi, I'm an INFJ, and have been onto this Myers-Brigg stuff and got many of my friends into it and have found that a lot of them are also NF types (interestingly, the majority of them INFP).

I myself am an artist, and many of my NF friends are involved in the arts (graphic design, music, painting, film, photography...).

I'm just curious to see if this is common with everyone else here that is an NF? I have this theory that we're all artistically inclined due to our intuitive/feeling nature.

First of all...cheers to another Georgian! :cheers: (I wonder, on the off chance, not knowing your age or much else about you, if you go to SCAD Atlanta.)

Secondly, there are a number of artists here of all types and certainly there are a few NFs who fall under that category, myself included. You should check out AwesomeCake's and Geoff's threads in the Nature and Wildlife (or whatever it's called) forum. Their photos are wonderful.

Therion

MBTI Type
INFP
I write a bit. Does that count as art? I think it does. I haven't had anything published, but I haven't tried either. I'd post something up here, but I dunno if there's a thread/forum area for that, and I've no real motivation to look.

BlueScreen

Fail 2.0
MBTI Type
YMCA
I write a bit. Does that count as art? I think it does. I haven't had anything published, but I haven't tried either. I'd post something up here, but I dunno if there's a thread/forum area for that, and I've no real motivation to look.

Of course writing is art. Don't know if there is a thread, but a writing forum would be cool. Partly because I want to contribute and partly because I want to understand the style differences between types. And being 5% E, I sometimes wonder if I write like an INFP or an ENFP; seeing I write in pretty introverted conditions.

S

Sniffles

My artistic skills nowadays are more in writing. I did draw and paint when I was younger, and people often complimented on my skills. I certainly imagined myself then as an artist. Now I've fallen behind due to years of neglect(still trying to figure out what made me stop drawing).

I've also played a few musical instruments, but frustrations with other areas of life made me give them up as well. Like drawing, I'm hoping to get back into it.

SoAndSo

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
1w?
I started out drawing. Most was visually intense and I spent a lot of time. It was the only time my head wasn't going a million miles an hour. I guess I stopped b/c I was no longer in school sitting for prolonged amount of time. I really miss it.

Now I'd say my art is photography.

SoAndSo

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
1w?
wow...how many times can I say time??? hehe..so unlike me not to proofread :)

penelope

MBTI Type
INxJ
First of all...cheers to another Georgian! :cheers: (I wonder, on the off chance, not knowing your age or much else about you, if you go to SCAD Atlanta.)

Secondly, there are a number of artists here of all types and certainly there are a few NFs who fall under that category, myself included. You should check out AwesomeCake's and Geoff's threads in the Nature and Wildlife (or whatever it's called) forum. Their photos are wonderful.

Nope, not SCAD (yet! Planning on going there for my MFA in Illustration). I'm graduating from Kennesaw State University in May with my BFA in Painting. :D

I'll check that out!

penelope

MBTI Type
INxJ
Freetime guitarist/harmonica player/photographer/sketcher (the last one is so P :D) + possible future graphic designer here.

...though I'm not sure about ALL of us being artistic. I think the Se + Fi combination has the most potential of producing great artists. (I suck in dealing with concrete things. I have always hated painting - the paintbrush doesn't obey me - and starting to play the guitar was agony.)

I have noticed a difference in artistic-ness between the NFJ and NFP types, though. The P types tend to be more abstract, and the J types more realistic (whether with art, reasoning, writing, etc). I definitely function on a more realistic, logical level with my work, but there is a source of mystery and wonder.

Anyhow, I need to do my homework. I'm fairly new to the Personality types. :)

Kyrielle

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Nope, not SCAD (yet! Planning on going there for my MFA in Illustration). I'm graduating from Kennesaw State University in May with my BFA in Painting. :D

Ooh! Exciting, congratulations! I'd heard KSU had grown up quite a bit in the last few years. :)

I don't know about the Atlanta campus' Illustration department (I will find out this summer when I take my last two classes there), but the one here in Savannah is quite satisfactory.

What/how do you like to paint?

penelope

MBTI Type
INxJ
Ooh! Exciting, congratulations! I'd heard KSU had grown up quite a bit in the last few years. :)

I don't know about the Atlanta campus' Illustration department (I will find out this summer when I take my last two classes there), but the one here in Savannah is quite satisfactory.

What/how do you like to paint?

KSU is not too shabby, but I'm definitely ready to leave. They don't really embrace non-complete realism and anything other than oil painting (for the painters).

I'm not entirely decided on SCAD for my MFA, but it'll probably happen. Are you going for illustration or fine arts?

I do purely traditional work (my eyes hurt if I stare at a computer screen too long) and I sometimes combine film photography via darkroom processes with my painting, but it's... well, here's a link to my website.

What about you? :)

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
I'm a poet, enjoy writing, drawing and painting in/with water colors and acrylics, dancing and I used to choreograph.

Does that make me an artist?

I have no idea.

penelope

MBTI Type
INxJ
I'm a poet, enjoy writing, drawing and painting in/with water colors and acrylics, dancing and I used to choreograph.

Does that make me an artist?

I have no idea.

Hehe, of course! I didn't even think to include dance! I'm so uncoordinated...

Nillerz

MBTI Type
ENFP
I'm an artsy artsy fuck. Right brain dominant 'n' shit, dawg.

Kyrielle

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
KSU is not too shabby, but I'm definitely ready to leave. They don't really embrace non-complete realism and anything other than oil painting (for the painters).

Bummer, maybe one day they'll see the light.

I'm not entirely decided on SCAD for my MFA, but it'll probably happen. Are you going for illustration or fine arts?

BFA in Illustration with a minor in Sequential Art.

I do purely traditional work (my eyes hurt if I stare at a computer screen too long) and I sometimes combine film photography via darkroom processes with my painting, but it's... well, here's a link to my website.

Lovely stuff. Your style makes me think of a classmate I had last year in Book Illustration. She had that nice combination of rendered and graphic aspects that you have. I particularly like the drippyness.

So, I take it you prefer portraits? :D

What about you? :)

I prefer traditional methods. There's something that digital can't replace, and that's the physical sensation of creating a work. I've gotten particularly good at gouache and watercolour. But right now I'm learning to work with digital painting in Photoshop. Don't have a website up just yet. Well I technically do but since it's attached to comcast.net as a personal page and my brother helped me make it and primarily because I'm an idiot, I can never remember the URL. :blush:

Edit: For the record, my avatar is NOT something I did, I only wish I was as good as Darrell Anderson! ;)