• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NF] NF Artists?

Kyrielle

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Those are very beautiful CC. So, I take it your inner self is a collision between a peacock and celtic knotting (with a little Kandinsky thrown in there for zest)? ;) I only tease.

It's interesting how that turns out when you paint unconsciously like that. Mine usually end up looking very dark and disturbing and full of eyes when I try to do it, but, as you said, it's very therapeutic.

I think they all look similar because that's you, on the page there. That's what you look like if yourself were abstracted and placed into imagery. The result is a combination of your natural preferences regarding shapes, colour, and line with the shape of your thoughts at the time, I suppose.

I don't know how to reduce the cracking. Is it very humid where you live? That will tend to cause problems with artworks. In which case, the best thing to do is try to find the driest place in your house and store them there, maybe get a dehimidifier if you're really adamant about it.

Edit: I suppose I should stop being a wimp and post something of mine. All right, here we go.

Here's something I did just last week for a storyboarding class. The part that makes me cry is you only see this scene in one panel in the storyboards. Done in non-photoblue pencil.

barnscanbluesmall1.jpg

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Done in non-photoblue pencil.

barnscanbluesmall1.jpg
:shocking:

HOW DO YOU DO THAT?!?!?!

We need to do fMRI scans on people like you, you have something special going on in your temporal and occipital lobes or something, holy hell?!?!?!

I am astounded by those who can draw/paint so fucking realistically I swear, I don't get it?

Space, perspective, dimension, detail, precision the list goes on!!!

HOW DO YOU DO IT?!?!?!

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Those are very beautiful CC. So, I take it your inner self is a collision between a peacock and celtic knotting (with a little Kandinsky thrown in there for zest)? ;) I only tease.
Disclaimer: I know NOTHING about art in the technical sense so please forgive my layman vocabulary.

Lol, I definitely see the feather thing, I love feathers and view feathering as a softer form of branching, if that makes sense. And branches and leaves and more branches, god I could never get enough of them!!! (because they keep on going)

Celtic knotting? I think I know what those are, but I don't know if I see/use/make those in my art?

I have never really been much of a fan of Kandinsky, but that painting you linked in particular, is quite stunning!!!

It is weird I do outside-in work and sprawling work (I prefer sprawling), the outside-in work is contained and always ends up being very geometric and stained glass-ish, and the sprawling work is very natural looking and fractal-ish.

It is weird when I draw, (I draw much more than I paint), it is so interesting, the way the shapes and lines interact with each other, merge with each other, and affect each other, also, cliques and characters will form, lol, weird shit, but there will be three to six nebulous cliques that are all connected yet still have somewhat of a separate identity.

:shock:

This is the first time I have ever discussed this, I hope I am not sounding too weird?!?!?!

It's interesting how that turns out when you paint unconsciously like that. Mine usually end up looking very dark and disturbing and full of eyes when I try to do it, but, as you said, it's very therapeutic.
Hell yeah, for me, drawing is kind of like dancing, my "thinking" mind lets go of its reigns and I just flow, and flowing is the most therapeutic thing/process one could ever experience. :wub:

I think they all look similar because that's you, on the page there. That's what you look like if yourself were abstracted and placed into imagery. The result is a combination of your natural preferences regarding shapes, colour, and line with the shape of your thoughts at the time, I suppose.
Lol, in that case, I must be one crazy ass mofo. :smile:

I don't know how to reduce the cracking. Is it very humid where you live? That will tend to cause problems with artworks. In which case, the best thing to do is try to find the driest place in your house and store them there, maybe get a dehimidifier if you're really adamant about it.
I live in Los Angeles, I was thinking about putting clear nail polish on it, (no joke) but resisted the urge thinking that might not be the wisest thing to do.

Is there some type of sealant I can put on it?

Or should I attempt to retouch it?

celiapleete

MBTI Type
INFP
I'm an artist in a whole bunch of different media. I write, and write profusely; I do graphic design work, I'm a professional photographer, I paint, I draw, and I do collage work.

gloomy-optimist

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w3
I draw a lot; I'm planning on getting into comics and animation when I get older ;)

I have a deviantART where I throw most of my stuff, serious and not-so-serious:
gloomy-optimist's deviantART gallery

And then my sister, friend, and I are planning on establishing a studio later in life, and we have a different dA for some of the stuff for a comic we're planning:
studio2's deviantART gallery

I don't have much time to draw lately, though; it makes me tense D:

StoryOfMyLife

MBTI Type
INfJ
Enneagram
4w5
On the back it says:

Acrylic Double Primed Premium Canvas Panel for all mediums???

Matisse Derivan :: Professional Acrylic Paints

I wonder if something on this site might be helpful to you? About halfway down the page there is a mention of a clear varnishing liquid [says it works on certain acrylics I think]. Maybe going over your pictures with it will prevent further cracking. Don't take my word for it, though ^^; I don't want to inadvertently ruin something you've done by giving out the wrong advice. I've been googling it, though, this is what I've come up with so far.

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
Hey CC, you're a lot better at art than you are at being cool online.

StoryOfMyLife

MBTI Type
INfJ
Enneagram
4w5
I draw a lot; I'm planning on getting into comics and animation when I get older ;)

And then my sister, friend, and I are planning on establishing a studio later in life, and we have a different dA for some of the stuff for a comic we're planning:

:yes: DO go look at her gallery! It's fun, I enjoyed looking through her work. :)

I have a DeviantArt as well, though if you're not very into browsing through an anime artist's struggles to get things just right, my stuff might not be for you. It is shiny, though. :blush:

TwistedPixiSister on deviantART

gloomy-optimist

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w3
:yes: DO go look at her gallery! It's fun, I enjoyed looking through her work. :)

I have a DeviantArt as well, though if you're not very into browsing through an anime artist's struggles to get things just right, my stuff might not be for you. It is shiny, though. :blush:

TwistedPixiSister on deviantART

Awe, thanks!! I don't think you have much to complain about, though; you're stuff is definitely coming along ;)

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Yeah, It's quite common. I think SP Artisans and NF artists differ because it seems that SPs put it there for more of the "it blends, it looks good there" theme, and the other fumdamentals and details of art are more stressed..and where NFs and even NTs, because I know a few NT artists, are more to express themselves through art giving it a meaning..metaphors, more symbolism, things representing things, etc.

I ran into this problem with one of my friends..I let her borrow Please Understand Me II and she typed out INTJ, and was surprised that her type description didn't match up to those of an artist, necessarily..and I had to ask her if she incorperates meaning into art, and she said defintely, which is where the line is drawn.

Kyrielle

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
:shocking:

HOW DO YOU DO THAT?!?!?!

We need to do fMRI scans on people like you, you have something special going on in your temporal and occipital lobes or something, holy hell?!?!?!

I am astounded by those who can draw/paint so fucking realistically I swear, I don't get it?

Space, perspective, dimension, detail, precision the list goes on!!!

HOW DO YOU DO IT?!?!?!

:blush: Thanks.

I don't know. I mean I really, honestly haven't a clue. I've always been pretty good at rendering stuff and I'm a freak about details. As for perspective...er...that's taken quite a bit of rigourous practise, bitching, and pushing myself to get into the habit laying down perspective grids (which help, you just follow the lines! :D). Would be nowhere without my professors on that one.

Disclaimer: I know NOTHING about art in the technical sense so please forgive my layman vocabulary.

No need to apologise. I like layman terms, they're oftem more accurate to me.

Lol, I definitely see the feather thing, I love feathers and view feathering as a softer form of branching, if that makes sense. And branches and leaves and more branches, god I could never get enough of them!!! (because they keep on going)

Celtic knotting? I think I know what those are, but I don't know if I see/use/make those in my art?

celtic-knot.jpg

Mostly it's the neverendingness I see. That sprawl that twines in and around itself so that one's never sure where the ending or the beginning are, and after a while, that doesn't even matter. I'm sure you don't do it purposely, just ended up seeing a parallel there.

It is weird when I draw, (I draw much more than I paint), it is so interesting, the way the shapes and lines interact with each other, merge with each other, and affect each other, also, cliques and characters will form, lol, weird shit, but there will be three to six nebulous cliques that are all connected yet still have somewhat of a separate identity.

:shock:

This is the first time I have ever discussed this, I hope I am not sounding too weird?!?!?!

Not at all. It would take a lot for you to sound weird to me! :D It makes sense to me anyway.

Hell yeah, for me, drawing is kind of like dancing, my "thinking" mind lets go of its reigns and I just flow, and flowing is the most therapeutic thing/process one could ever experience. :wub:

:yes: Sort of like the concept of zen or "being" or wu wei (I think I spelled it right?).

I live in Los Angeles, I was thinking about putting clear nail polish on it, (no joke) but resisted the urge thinking that might not be the wisest thing to do.

Is there some type of sealant I can put on it?

Or should I attempt to retouch it?

Hmm. Well, I would opt for getting some Matt Medium. It's basically just clear acrylic glaze (except you can gob it on really thick...it actually ends up making it look "refreshed", as if you just painted the colours on). It should at least fill up the cracks and bond the paint back together. Now that I've read up on the issue, it seems that your paint was lacking in plastics (acetone? or whatever it is in acrylic paint), or it didn't adhere to the canvas well enough. If that becomes an issue again, I would mix a bit of the Matt Medium with the acrylic to help it be a bit more flexible (not the watercolour unless you want those to be permanent when you put them down).

Nice work! :D

sarah

soft and silky
MBTI Type
isfp
Yeah, It's quite common. I think SP Artisans and NF artists differ because it seems that SPs put it there for more of the "it blends, it looks good there" theme, and the other fumdamentals and details of art are more stressed..and where NFs and even NTs, because I know a few NT artists, are more to express themselves through art giving it a meaning..metaphors, more symbolism, things representing things, etc.

I ran into this problem with one of my friends..I let her borrow Please Understand Me II and she typed out INTJ, and was surprised that her type description didn't match up to those of an artist, necessarily..and I had to ask her if she incorperates meaning into art, and she said defintely, which is where the line is drawn.

I beg to differ. I'm an SP and I don't just put stuff on paper because it "blends" and "looks good". That sounds like interior decorating, not art. I do create visual symbols and use them in my art, but not every little thing I draw is symbolic. Does that make sense? It depends on what I feel like communicating. Some thoughts/feelings need to be expressed symbolically, and others don't.

I think the reason a lot of SFPs start out thinking they're NFs when they're first introduced to type is because so many people promote the idea that only NFs are capable of feeling-based visual communication and SPs are just pretty picture makers. I don't believe that's accurate. FWIW, I believe SP artists do use symbolism effectively in their art (Rembrant is a good example of that) and I don't see them as being mere canvas-decorators.

Sarah
(not a big fan of the Keirsey test -- it always gives me NF results even though I know that's not my actual temperament pattern)

placebo

MBTI Type
INFP
Art means a goddamn lot to me, that's all I can find myself to say.

kiddykat

movin melodies
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4, 7
Since the first time my dad bought me a box of Crayola markers when I was a kid, I think that's when I fell in love with art, mostly with colors. I used to even draw all over the apartment walls and my parents would get fined left and right. lol

As I got into my teen years, I drifted away from doing artwork because the high school I attended didn't encourage student to do art. I even asked my counselor if I could enroll in an art class and she said, "We're considered a *high-tech* school, so as an alternative, I suggest you enroll in graphic design or take a C++ class." Whatever. I didn't get into the art class I wanted to. =(

But yah, besides my interests in social/political issues, I'm an artist at heart, and love sketching, designing, photography (not much into still life..). It's something I think people need to do more often- whether it may be writing lyrics, music, poems, dancing, acting, painting.. anything creative related- it's what really gets us in touch with who we are as humans. Plus, I find it that it really allows us to be bold and brave as individuals- free-spiritedness. I enjoy hanging out with creative/artistic people- they're a ball of FUN!

Awesome drawings/sketches CC! Visual harmony.. I love anything colorful/appealing!!

Gamine

in-game
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3w2
I'm in love with your work Penelope. It's all beautiful. Word indeed.

sketcheasy

MBTI Type
ENFP
i'm an enfp at scad in the savannah campus. been drawing since i was 5, or younger. i'm very much a traditionalist as far as style and the kind of art i like. not a fan of absract expressionism at all. i like to draw and draw well. keeping things simple i prefer client based work such as illustration or concept art and applying my creativity there. would like to work in concept design mostly because it's all about putting out ideas and playing with them. plays off my weakness for not always being able to carry things through, but i've been working at trying to not break my focus.