• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NF] Wondering about Ns and left-handedness

StoryOfMyLife

MBTI Type
INfJ
Enneagram
4w5
Spend lot's of alone time with teh ladies of the internet hey?

*lol*

I think what Uber means is that the computer mouse is generally placed on the right side of the keyboard-- so it's a learned habit that the mouse should be on that side.

My mother, aunt, and grandma all move the mouse to the left side. Though, they're the only lefties I have seen do it.

Would it make sense if I said I also notice that people generally wear watches on the opposite wrist of their dominant hand? [This could..er..be neutralized by those who are ambidextrous, of course]. Though every time I've seen a watch on the right-hand wrist, my guess at that person being left-handed has been correct... so...just wondering..

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
sorry to completely kill this thread, but i'm left handed.

placebo

MBTI Type
INFP
I know quite a few left handed people and it doesn't really strike me that there are more N's than S's. I think that you just happen to be around more N's than S's in general, and you happened upon some that were left-handed. Not the other way around--that is, being around a lot of left-handed people than right-handed people and finding that more were N's. There might be something interesting in that observation, but I think any relationship being N and left-handedness is unfounded.

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Nope, I'm predominantly right handed, with a few exceptions..I tend to like to hold things in my left hand and keep my right hand free..which I just realized the other day laughed..

Kaizer

sophiloist
MBTI Type
INTp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
left handed ppl are great.. interesting, bring about balance, think and see things originally and differently.

penelope

MBTI Type
INxJ
Hm. When I was a child I was ambidextrous, but now I'm a righty.

Usehername

On a mission
sorry to completely kill this thread, but i'm left handed.

Nah, I know roughly 20 lefties (I used to notice these things and look for patterns in personality when i was really young before I learned about MBTI) and I'd say it's irrelevant to N/S divide. (ISFJ, ESFP, ESFJ, ISFP, xSTP, etc. from high school class)

One thing I have noticed is that I've never met a leftie who had a left shot for hockey. They all shoot right. (IMO, it makes sense to shoot the opposite way of your dominant hand, because the goalies would thus catch the puck with their non-dominant hand like baseball. But righties tend to be evenly split between shooting right and left.)

Also, twin-sets often have a left and right (even fraternal). Likely because a cramped womb meant one arm had more space-maneuverability so it received more opportunity to move, which stimulated and reinforced nerve pathways, which led to a preference that way.

runvardh

にゃん
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
right handed, though I eat and grab with what ever is closest/convinient at the time.

Gauche

One thing I have noticed is that I've never met a leftie who had a left shot for hockey. They all shoot right... But righties tend to be evenly split between shooting right and left.

Sure, left handers naturally shot right handed, and right handers should naturally shoot left handed, but, as you say, there are many righties who shoot right handed, though i wouldnt say its (read:im sure its not) evenly split, but from things which are people biased to do either left or right handed, shotin in hockey is surely one of those, where volatiliy is bigger. And its kinda surprising why it is that.

IMO, it makes sense to shoot the opposite way of your dominant hand, because the goalies would thus catch the puck with their non-dominant hand like baseball.

You are rational, arent you? :thumbup:
People dont shoot either way because it "makes sense", but because they simply feel more comfortable that way. Why, it is different question of course.... (but surely not because it makes better sense to them:))

Also, have you ever noticed anomaly in holding knife and fork in left and right handers? Right handers usually hold fork in left and knife in the right hand (while they use both); and guess what about lefties? . . . they do it the same way - they hold fork in left and knife in right(big majority); strange ist it. But if righty hold spoon, or single fork (without knife), he hold it in right, and when he take knife he switches fork to his left. Lefties dont do this. They hold spoon and fork in left, and when they need it, they take knife to right and dont swap anything.:banana:

Usehername

On a mission
Sure, left handers naturally shot right handed, and right handers should naturally shoot left handed, but, as you say, there are many righties who shoot right handed, though i wouldnt say its (read:im sure its not) evenly split, but from things which are people biased to do either left or right handed, shotin in hockey is surely one of those, where volatiliy is bigger. And its kinda surprising why it is that.

You are rational, arent you? :thumbup:
People dont shoot either way because it "makes sense", but because they simply feel more comfortable that way. Why, it is different question of course.... (but surely not because it makes better sense to them:))

Also, have you ever noticed anomaly in holding knife and fork in left and right handers? Right handers usually hold fork in left and knife in the right hand (while they use both); and guess what about lefties? . . . they do it the same way - they hold fork in left and knife in right(big majority); strange ist it. But if righty hold spoon, or single fork (without knife), he hold it in right, and when he take knife he switches fork to his left. Lefties dont do this. They hold spoon and fork in left, and when they need it, they take knife to right and dont swap anything.:banana:

I phrased it wrong--it makes sense that people would be most comfortable shooting the opposite of their dominant hand. Becuase if they moved into goalie position, which a lot of people take turns doing in pickup street hockey or whatever it is, they can retain their shooting preference and also retain their catching preference.

(i.e. I'm a righty that shoots left; when i move from defence into goal, i can throw on a baseball glove and still shoot left as a goalie. It makes sense that this would all be aligned in natural preference as opposed to a logical conscious decision.)

Poor wording in my part. :)

iwakar

crush the fences
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I work with a lot of Ns - a whole office full actually (government area) - and one thing I have noticed recently is that there are a lot of left-handers in the team. Much more than the usual proportion, me being one of them.

My last two exs were Ns and they were both left handed also...what is your observation?

Thanks

I'm curious to know if there is a study proving/disproving any links between type and favored hand usage. I have no clue personally.

krentz

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
I think it might have something to do with brain hemispheric dominance, because the left side of the brain controls the right side of the body, and vice versa. As the right hemisphere is typically holistic, nonverbal, and imaginative it makes sense that more intuitives would be right-brained. This is pretty interesting though, because I am pretty right brained (check my type yo!) and my mother felt sure I was going to be left-handed. However, in early school days I am told I was forced to use my right hand, so as a result I'm right handed (and right footed). Whether I would have been a leftie otherwise, I can't say. I find that my left hand often has superior grip, and I use it for things like eating crisps, opening bottles, and holding a fork while cutting with a knife and so on. This may just be because I perform many repetitive, detail orientated tasks with my right hand, like writing, and using the mouse (especially during gaming), and I have had a small onset of RSI before. They say that it improves connections between your brain to learn how to use the opposite hand, though, so I might just train ambidexterity as an exercise :alttongue:

Llewellyn

MBTI Type
INtj
Enneagram
9w1
I'm right-handed, but I've taught myself to eat and mouse with my left hand as well (to relax my muscles on the other side). Even had begun writing with left hand (a whole new feeling).