• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ENFP] ENFP's & Addictive Personalities

Anja

MBTI Type
INFP
I don't believe in that. Is it in the DSM?

Anja

MBTI Type
INFP
I know that children of alcoholics are genetically prone to alcoholism, especially males.

But I doubt very much that a peronality causes addiction. It is the substance which causes addiction.

Gonna check the DSM. If it's in there, it's relatively new.

Anja

MBTI Type
INFP
I checked the DSM IV and they have two categories for addiction: Substance Abuse and Substance Addiction.

Thank goodness, or I'd have thought the psychiatrists had finally gone round the bend.

file cabinet

I've known 5 ENFP's who have what I consider 'addictive' personalities:
- two of them smoke pot on a regular basis (although both have had their share of drugs in the past)
- one of them smokes pot/drinks/parties/whatever pretty consistently (she's the loopiest ENFP I know)
- one of them is a former alcoholic and now primarily smokes cigarettes and loads of coffee
- one of them is addicted to smoking cigarettes and drinking coffee

G-Virus

Broud Balestinian
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
I cringe whenever I hear someone say they are addicted to pot.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
^^ i do too...i just kinda can't believe it.

Anja

MBTI Type
INFP
I just ran through a few statistics on google.

It is estimated that there are 14 million Americans who meet the diagnostic criteria for alcoholism in the US. And 14.5 million regular users of cannabis.

It would be interesting to find out if someone has typed them.

Anja

MBTI Type
INFP
Okay. Here's an interesting article by Stanton Peele that I've found regarding personality and alcoholism. There's nothing conclusive there but it discusses the many factors at play in the development of addiction to alcohol.

I suspect that a large factor would be the undeveloped personality and the attendant need to self-medicate frustration and emotional pain resulting from same. That's the correlation I could see. One could add in a few - aforementioned genetic predisposition, external locus of control, impulsivity, low frustration tolerance, abusive childhood, interpersonal dependency, mental illness come to mind.

Personality and Alcoholism: Establishing the Link

BlueScreen

Fail 2.0
MBTI Type
YMCA
One could add in a few - aforementioned genetic predisposition, external locus of control, impulsivity, low frustration tolerance, abusive childhood, interpersonal dependency, mental illness come to mind.

Boredom, culture, because they felt like it... It doesn't have to connect to mental instability. Or maybe they are ENFP reasons.

G-Virus

Broud Balestinian
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
but you can have a psychological dependence to it, or else it wouldn't be difficult to quit at all.

psychological dependence is for pussies. I am gonna go start shooting up 30 mg of morphine everyday for the next two months while increasing my dosage 5 mg a day. That should do it.

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
psychological dependence is for pussies. I am gonna go start shooting up 30 mg of morphine everyday for the next two months while increasing my dosage 5 mg a day. That should do it.
Yes, physical dependence FTW.

G-Virus

Broud Balestinian
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
^^^^^^^ I'll be shitting my self and puking in no time all while trying to call up my homeboy spider for a fix for the first four days. After that, it will be a nice dehabituation battle from there accompanied by severe depression and paranoia.

Anja

MBTI Type
INFP
Well, your facetious comment does bring up an important point, G-Virus. And that is that dependence is a two-headed monster. It does have both psychological and physical factors.

That's why, even though an alcoholic is able to go through withdrawal and stop drinking for a period of time, he generally returns to it ready to give it another try. It's the psychological factor which leads to relapse and continues the progression of the illness.

If only the physical aspects of the behavior (or illness, depending on which camp you're in) are addressed/treated the behavior/illness will run a predictable course.

But this focus seems to step outside of the boundaries of the OP. Have we lost our hostess?

soleil

MBTI Type
ENFP
Well, your facetious comment does bring up an important point, G-Virus. And that is that dependence is a two-headed monster. It does have both psychological and physical factors.

That's why, even though an alcoholic is able to go through withdrawal and stop drinking for a period of time, he generally returns to it ready to give it another try. It's the psychological factor which leads to relapse and continues the progression of the illness.

If only the physical aspects of the behavior (or illness, depending on which camp you're in) are addressed/treated the behavior/illness will run a predictable course.

But this focus seems to step outside of the boundaries of the OP. Have we lost our hostess?

Anja,

I honestly approached the topic wrong, lol. I guess I was just wondering if it's a common trait amongst other ENFP's or just a psychological/physical/genetic disposition. I still find this topic interesting. My father is an alcoholic and has been for more than 30 years. My brother and I both have very addictive personalities. My brother has experimented with various drugs, casually drinks, and has a gambling problem. For me, my addictive "disposition" resulted in me having moderate OCD. I personally never experimented with any drugs, alcohol, but there is this addictive nature I have. I think addictive personalities aren't always substance abuse related. Any thoughts?

Anja

MBTI Type
INFP
Well, as I mentioned somewhere in here, impulsivity, low tolerance for frustration, risk-taking behavior, emotional pain all may play a role in developing a substance addiction.

There are many, some even include race and culture!

We know that certain personality types are more prone to those qualities than others.

The emotional atmosphere in a home where there is addiction also plays a role in developing priorities and values which are condusive to formation of addiction. Shame, anger, guilt, resentment, blame, sadness come to mind.

It's not a subject easily spoken of here, I think. But I've said plenty for the moment and perhaps you'll have others willing to express their opinion.

Gamine

in-game
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3w2
My theory is that people are addicted to ENFP's.

Personally, I'm a big fan of risk. I think it may be because we do not feel fear the same way others do, true for myself at least. I can walk down an alley at night because I am probably the scariest thing in the dark :) That sounded really creepy.... Being aware of this part of my personality has encouraged me to make my own personal challenges to take risks in safe environments so I get my adrenaline rush without negative consequences that are usually guaranteed for other risk taking adventures.

My litmus test is: Could this one day be an Olympic sport?

G-Virus

Broud Balestinian
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
Here is a cool little fact.

Most addictive drug? Heroin, Cocaine, Alcohol.

Most people would say Cocaine or Heroin, funny thing is that alcohol is the only one that can actually kill you in withdrawal. Heroin is physically addictive and a bitch to get rid of, Cocaine is only a psychological addiction (Severe Emo like depression).

mlittrell

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w1
i dont have an addictive personality. though really i think all types and everyone is somewhat obsessed with something. now whether you could call that an addiction or not, idk.