• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ENFP] ENFP:s - do you go fishing...

Rogue

MBTI Type
ENFP
^ ^ If your fishing...I'll be the big mouth bass

(OMG that sounded so bad!!! LMAO)

soleil

MBTI Type
ENFP
I had issues like this with my parents when growing up too..never felt loved and was very different from my SJ-parents. They didn't understand me and I grew up "in my own world". As an adult I've felt the need to repair this, to get appreciation, compliments, reassurance from others.. I don't know, maybe this is not at all related to type, more to what has happened to you as a child? Some of you ENFP:s here seem very cool and "home" with yourselves. So maybe it's more related to childhood and if you felt loved as a child.

I also have a feeling of worthlessness pretty often and I know compliments is just like temporary band-aids.. Well, well..can't change the past, only the future..

:hug: Just know you're not alone! :)

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
I have an ENFP friend that fishes for compliments quite often...she just goes through periods where she needs gets a bit insecure. It can be a bit annoying, if I'm being honest.

I think it's one thing to check to see if you're being understood or making sense or what have you, but if you're actually fishing for someone to tell you how awesome you are, the person you're asking will feel obligated at that point, rather than complimenting you freely. I think it's better to just come out and say that you're feeling a bit insecure--your friend will likely feel more like reassuring you. :yes:

LunaIndigo

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
I definitely do. I try not to be obnoxious about it though. I don't do it all the time, but if I do something that I feel was an accomplishment and cool I kind of prod my friends to see what they thought of whatever it was. Especially if they're quiet afterwards.

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
I have an ENFP friend that fishes for compliments quite often...she just goes through periods where she needs gets a bit insecure. It can be a bit annoying, if I'm being honest.

I think it's one thing to check to see if you're being understood or making sense or what have you, but if you're actually fishing for someone to tell you how awesome you are, the person you're asking will feel obligated at that point, rather than complimenting you freely. I think it's better to just come out and say that you're feeling a bit insecure--your friend will likely feel more like reassuring you. :yes:
It is reading posts like these that have me :confused:.

I thought all of us ENFPs were all about understanding other people and being understood.

I can understand our desiring appreciation for the things we do and for the people we are, but who ever explicitly asks for appreciation? :huh: (excluding, perhaps when one happens to be in a relationship where they think they are being under-appreciated)

Fishing for compliments is directly related to feelings of *intense* insecurity.

I thought us ENFPs were a relatively confident sort.

LunaIndigo

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Well for me, I don't go up to my friends and go, "Hey wasn't what I just did like totally awesome?!?" But sometimes if I need some extra reasurance I'll just plant the seed of the conversation and hope that it leads to something. But it's not like I'm not confident, it's just sometimes I need that extra boost when I get down.

G-Virus

Broud Balestinian
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
Nope, too damn arrogant . . . Yeah I am working on that.

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I thought us ENFPs were a relatively confident sort.

We can be. But because we rely very much on our environment for info and stimulation, a critical environment can also cause low self doubt, which in turn can cause our self-esteem to be tied to how the outside world views us and what feedback we get. It's one of our pitfalls and not an easy one to overcome. Consider yourself fortunate that you have no problems in that area :)