• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Fe] Fashion is ugly

heart

heart on fire
I need to aquire a couple of clothing items and I just cannot bring myself to waste the money. Current fashions just seem on the whole really unattractive to me. I must be getting old or something.

And then even I find something I halfway like, it's made out of polyester...ugh I burn up in anything but cotton.

What I really want are some cotton dresses, woven cotton, not knit and not poly/cotton but cotton and I want them to look nice, not some battle-axe looking sack, but I don't see many of these out there now. What the hell happened?

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
That is why thrift stores, resale stores and vintage stores are the best!!!!

:yes:

heart

heart on fire
Yes, that's all I used to shop at, but I have the chronic vertigo/fatigue thing now, makes it hard to waste energy going out shopping. Thrift shopping is like hunting, need to be able to take a lot of time and energy seeking the best game...I need something online.

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Hmm, I don't really buy clothes online, lemme ask my sister if she knows of any good sites.

:)

heart

heart on fire
I should go on Ebay, but I'm on dial up and looking through ebay wastes so much time and energy.

This is really just a whine...

heart

heart on fire
Why are you sorry? You don't pay for my internet.

Anyway, why do women just LOVE, LOVE, LOVE polyester, rayon and nylon????

I just don't understand it. I can't breathe in that crap and if I get hot, I feel nauseated. How can women stand having their skin trapped in by those nylon, polyester clothes that don't breathe?

Yet it often seems most of the prettier, more feminine clothes are polyester and nylon. *sigh*

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
As are I. I still enjoy the hunt of that perfect shirt or cheap pair of shoes. I bought a scarf for a dollar saturday ^_^b I was quite pleased with myself..

.. >.o Online shopping for clothes has proven massively unsuccessful for me. I don't trust it so much at all. I went shopping at VS one time in Iraq to have nice clothes when I got home.. and I had to return the jeans twice, and dresses that looked wonderful actually looked like ass when I received them in the mail.. definitely not the same thing I had seen on the site's pic. The ONLY things I was happy with were a pair of carpenter jeans (they were massively comfy once I got my right size), and a bra-top bikini top.. It's SO hard to find bathing suits to fit me right.

I agree with you though on fashion!! I can't STAND some of the stuff girls are wearing out and about.. I think guys are getting a bit more classy in their dressing, which I don't mind if they don't go overboard.. but on the whole, I make my own way of it.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
Why are you sorry? You don't pay for my internet.

Anyway, why do women just LOVE, LOVE, LOVE polyester, rayon and nylon????

I just don't understand it. I can't breathe in that crap and if I get hot, I feel nauseated. How can women stand having their skin trapped in by those nylon, polyester clothes that don't breathe?

Yet it often seems most of the prettier, more feminine clothes are polyester and nylon. *sigh*

I get claustrophobic when wearing skinny jeans.. o.o they have to have a flare leg at LEAST or I freak out. Srsly.

Couldn't tell ya!

heart

heart on fire
^ Hanes online used to have really nice, attractive, cotton dresses that were comfortable. Now they stopped.

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5

runvardh

にゃん
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Everything, but cotton, is cheaper. You didn't think you were the only lazy person on the planet did you? Your time might be more economically placed in making what you want yourself from what I've seen of what gets sold these days. Partially because of this, if I really wanted to get something for a girlfriend I'd rather find out what she likes, get her measurements, and make it myself (yes I sew, no I'm not taking requests [or orders, ETJs]). Higher likelihood she'll enjoy it, I get to enjoy seeing her in it, and I get the satisfaction of making something.

heart

heart on fire
Thanks CC, those are actually two places I've never been to before. I will look them over tommarow. :)

heart

heart on fire
Everything, but cotton, is cheaper. You didn't think you were the only lazy person on the planet did you? Your time might be more economically placed in making what you want yourself from what I've seen of what gets sold these days. Partially because of this, if I really wanted to get something for a girlfriend I'd rather find out what she likes, get her measurements, and make it myself (yes I sew, no I'm not taking requests [or orders, ETJs]). Higher likelihood she'll enjoy it, I get to enjoy seeing her in it, and I get the satisfaction of making something.

Well, thanks for deciding that I'm lazy I suppose. :huh: I cannot sew, I don't have the patience, time or S for it. So that's out.

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
I get most of my clothes from Ross or Marshall's type-stores. It does take a bit of energy to sort through everything, admittedly.

I actually like most current fashions, but I'm not a fan of the skinny jean. Why would you WANT to make your hips look bigger by comparison? And I will not even speak of the whole guys-in-skinny-jeans thing.

soleil

MBTI Type
ENFP
I should go on Ebay, but I'm on dial up and looking through ebay wastes so much time and energy.

This is really just a whine...

I basically only shop on Ebay, but I do go to some thrift shops sometimes. I also don't like fashion now. The trends are so ugly. Ugh.

soleil

MBTI Type
ENFP
Heart,

I suggest you check out freepeople.com. They are pretty expensive (well at least for me they are!). They have nice dresses there. Hope that helps!

Oh, You can get cotton dresses on americanapparel.net.

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Heart,

I suggest you check out freepeople.com. They are pretty expensive (well at least for me they are!). They have nice dresses there. Hope that helps!

Oh, You can get cotton dresses on americanapparel.net.
Yikes! If my INFP daughter ever finds this site, I'm going to have to start shelling out some real cash for her duds.

soleil

MBTI Type
ENFP
Yikes! If my INFP daughter ever finds this site, I'm going to have to start shelling out some real cash for her duds.

:D...I know!! Let's hope your daughter doesn't come across that site. It's so expensive. I only buy things that are on sale there, but even then it's still pricey!

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
:D...I know!! Let's hope your daughter doesn't come across that site. It's so expensive. I only buy things that are on sale there, but even then it's still pricey!
Maybe this will motivate me to finally teach her to sew. I'm not great, but if I teach her the basics she could probably surpass me in no time.

FWIW, I can sew clothes, but getting a good fit is no mean feat. Impressive, Runvardh!