• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Fe] Fashion is ugly

soleil

MBTI Type
ENFP
Maybe this will motivate me to finally teach her to sew. I'm not great, but if I teach her the basics she could probably surpass me in no time.

FWIW, I can sew clothes, but getting a good fit is no mean fete. Impressive, Runvardh!

I'm so jealous! I make clothes from recycled clothes, but I don't know how to make it from scratch. I plan on learning the craft and hopefully making my own threads ;). If I could I would save money and wear one-of-a-kind pieces that no one else will have. That's one of my goals. Also, learning how to knit/crochet.

PuddleRiver

It's always something...
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w6
I absolutely hate the clothes that have been out for the last few years. They're either slutty looking or stuff that I was wearing in high school. Been there done that. I like classy classics. Very understated but always in style. I have a hard time finding them anymore. :cry:

Usehername

On a mission
Heart, what kind of clothing items do you need?

Sweaters/long sleeve shirts/short-sleeve shirts/lounge around teh house pants/pants that are acceptable to wear in public, etc?

Does it need to be completely cotton or just mostly?

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1

I'm so jealous! I make clothes from recycled clothes, but I don't know how to make it from scratch. I plan on learning the craft and hopefully making my own threads ;). If I could I would save money and wear one-of-a-kind pieces that no one else will have. That's one of my goals. Also, learning how to knit/crochet.
Making things from recycled clothes is probably a lot more cost effective than making them from scratch. Following a pattern is not too hard, but getting a good fit isn't something I'm great at. Mostly just make costumes. I don't think there's any hope of my ever being able to knit or crochet. My attempts at crochet have been pretty horrific. :shock:

heart

heart on fire
I'm relieved to know I'm not the only one who thinks current fashions stink! I thought I was simply becoming too set in my ways. :D

Thanks to everyone who offered websites. :)

My eyes are tired and burning today, but sometime this week I'll take some time and go through some of those pages.

I really mostly like princess waisted dresses sort of like my friend to the left is wearing or jumper dresses. Just seems like they get harder and harder to find. I don't care at all about fitting in with trends, I just like what I like and what I find comfortable. Oh yeah and the hating polyester and nylon thing. I don't want one scintilla of polyester in my cotton! :D

Valiant

Courage is immortality
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'm kind of damaged :D The only two real "jobs" I've had except for extra-jobs during study are soldier and ship electrician... Both professions of course use utility pants... I can't have pants with less than about eight or ten pockets :D Girls need their silly bags, I need my silly pants. Not just cargo pants. I like the good ones... They shouldn't scream "military wannabe" so they can't be camo... But I use olive drab, dark grey and black. :) Another piece of clothing that is always present is the shirt with rolled up sleeves. I'm not much for colors, so they mostly go in black... But I have a white and a white with stripes :D

Therion

MBTI Type
INFP
I learned to make my own clothes to fix this problem. It's not as hard as you think if you just put some thought into it, and it doesn't cost that much money if you buy by the yard.

If I'm feeling lazy and find one of my shirt or something is too old to wear and I don't want to make a new shirt, I'll buy a blank cotton one and spray paint stuff onto it.

My favorite is an old green cotton shirt that says "sister fister" in very stylized letters.

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
I need to aquire a couple of clothing items and I just cannot bring myself to waste the money. Current fashions just seem on the whole really unattractive to me. I must be getting old or something.

And then even I find something I halfway like, it's made out of polyester...ugh I burn up in anything but cotton.

What I really want are some cotton dresses, woven cotton, not knit and not poly/cotton but cotton and I want them to look nice, not some battle-axe looking sack, but I don't see many of these out there now. What the hell happened?
I know, right?!

The last time I needed clothes, I brought my 22 year old daughter to help me.
I highly recommend a similar move.

shimsham

MBTI Type
infj
I'm resurrecting this thread because I suffer from a combination of laziness and not liking a lot of the current clothing fads. Are there any other sites that people have come across for clothes that they'd like to recommend?

I've been buying a lot of clothes on Etsy.com for a little while now. You can find handmade and vintage clothes on there, and it really feels like a marketplace/community. There's some pricey stuff on there, but most people keep their prices down and just want to share their clothes and talents with others.

Etsy :: Your place to buy and sell all things handmade

{{ warning: you may in fact become horribly addicted to Etsy }}

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I refuse to wear synthetics as well. They just feel gross to me. I haven't had much trouble finding clothing, but that's probably because I wear jeans and T-shirts 99% of the time and I have a few nicer-looking shirts and skirts for when I need to dress up.

Have you tried Nordstroms? It's a little on the pricey side but they have good sales sometimes.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Generally, cheap clothes are made with synthetic material. You have to dish out a little more money for well-made clothes made of natural fabrics.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Or watch the sales. I have never paid full price for any item of clothing. However, I don't buy much, and a good 50% of what I do buy has come from thrift stores, which are kind of hit-or-miss as heart pointed out. You have to go often to get the good stuff.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
REI has good sales too, some of them web-only.

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
I need to aquire a couple of clothing items and I just cannot bring myself to waste the money. Current fashions just seem on the whole really unattractive to me. I must be getting old or something.

And then even I find something I halfway like, it's made out of polyester...ugh I burn up in anything but cotton.

What I really want are some cotton dresses, woven cotton, not knit and not poly/cotton but cotton and I want them to look nice, not some battle-axe looking sack, but I don't see many of these out there now. What the hell happened?

:)

Fashion is skin deep.

syckkz

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
5w6
I got one to add to this for males

I ain't feeling the Bringin the 80’s back. Tight pants.. mismatching colors.. You will NEVER catch me wearing this crap.. It needs to die off already:dont:
80s.jpg

heart

heart on fire
I can't afford Coldwater Creek! :D They have lovely stuff but gadzooks at their prices! :shock: Money for clothes comes out of my book budget.

Or watch the sales. I have never paid full price for any item of clothing. However, I don't buy much, and a good 50% of what I do buy has come from thrift stores, which are kind of hit-or-miss as heart pointed out. You have to go often to get the good stuff.

Yes, this is what I used to do and now not really able to and it's harder to shop online for the same kinds of things I used to find.

LOL, I forgot about this thread.... I never did end up buying any clothes.