• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] Advice for my relationship with my son

vontrapped

MBTI Type
INFJ
I think I've already screwed up by not posting on the right thread. Sorry.

I wanted to ask for advice on how best to get along with my INTJ adult son. As an INFJ I seem to drive him nuts.

PuddleRiver

It's always something...
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w6
Hi there :hi: Welcome. I don't know enough about INTJs to help you but there are others here who probably could.

ThatsWhatHeSaid

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
What's the problem? How old is see? Why aren't you getting along as well as you think you can? Need more info pls.

vontrapped

MBTI Type
INFJ
What's the problem? How old is see? Why aren't you getting along as well as you think you can? Need more info pls.

Sorry to double post.

As a little boy he was a delight, very affectionate and full of fun and we seemed to get along very well indeed.

. As he 's grown older, he's now 34 with three children, he appears all intellect ( very clever, my boy, just completed his PhD ) and speaks/writes to me as if giving a lecture.

When I say "You never ask me anything" he replies "That's because I know you'll always tell me what you need me to know" which of course is perfectly true but there's just no small, easy stuff between us any more. He states something once , according to him, never needs repeating.

I, on the other hand, probably have far too much small talk and am probably repetitive but it only appears to be a problem with him. He makes me nervous but I love him.

He would be absolutely horrified at the thought of spilling all this emotional stuff to anyone least of all a group of people I've never met.

Am I a leaky bucket or what?

ThatsWhatHeSaid

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Sorry to double post.

As a little boy he was a delight, very affectionate and full of fun and we seemed to get along very well indeed.

. As he 's grown older, he's now 34 with three children, he appears all intellect ( very clever, my boy, just completed his PhD ) and speaks/writes to me as if giving a lecture.

When I say "You never ask me anything" he replies "That's because I know you'll always tell me what you need me to know" which of course is perfectly true but there's just no small, easy stuff between us any more. He states something once , according to him, never needs repeating.

I, on the other hand, probably have far too much small talk and am probably repetitive but it only appears to be a problem with him. He makes me nervous but I love him.

He would be absolutely horrified at the thought of spilling all this emotional stuff to anyone least of all a group of people I've never met.

Am I a leaky bucket or what?

My mom and I have this kind of relationship. In fact, I think it's a common male/female thing. She wants to "chat" and I just want to get the fact and get off the phone. Your being nervous on the phone makes me feel like he's irritable and reprimands you for trying to connect to him. I resent it with my mom not being I don't like connecting, but I don't like being forced to connect like that. I see it as needy and as requiring me to respond and connect. I don't like forcing myself to feel ANYTHING, even connection. I prefer it to be natural. It's the INT side of me coming out, you could say. Maybe he's the same way.

What I always tell my mom (and I'm suggesting you try it) is to put down the need to connect for a little while and just let things be. If you have something to say, say it, but let him start to feel like he doesn't HAVE to connect to you when he talks to you. Be yourself, and find your own interests. If he can add input, go for it and ask him, but don't just ask him to make conversation, because he'll (it sounds like) notice it right away. Practice genuine communication for a while and see where it gets you. I would guess that the more freedom you give him, the more comfortable he'll be. But you want to really let go for a while, if you can, not just pretend.

I'm going to rename this thread, otherwise you won't get more than 10-20 responses. (Unless you post a hot pic as your avatar.) If you'd like it changed back, let me know. If you want to respond to this post, by all means. If I can help, I will.

Usehername

On a mission
sorry, but you are a woman?

Biography
Mother of an adult son, three grandchildren, great partner.
Type
INFJ
Interests
reading, travel,
Occupation
Counsellor

:yes:

I'm going to assume you're a reasonably healthy and socially skilled person and go from there with my thoughts.
INTJs naturally seek their value in their intelligence; it's also something highly valued in others. Some INTJs only see this as book intelligence; others (like me) learn to see this in all sorts of skills. If he's male and INTJ, it's likely drawing him into an arena where he's not competent is going to make him over-think everything to the point of inaction. There's a stereotype of PhDs being book-smart but a little socially awkward; how well does he fit this? If you're trying to engage him socially you might find he's soo out of his comfort zone that he closes up.

Can you use NFJ skillz to meet him in an arena where you don't feel intimidated by him, and he doesn't feel incompetent? Any shared interests?

Also, INTJs tend to be paranoid about people "wasting my time." Which isn't to say that he thinks any individual that wastes his time is a waste of time themselves. Instead, he probably has an extensive mental list of Things to Accomplish. And being an Ni dom (INxJ), as I'm sure you know, sometimes it's hard to deal with real life enough to the point where you're really mastering things like you dream up in Ni land. So often he's probably making a pro/con list of what he's achieving by talking with x person, and if it appears there's more cons he probably is thinking of getting out of the conversation.
(Note: This sounds really cold. My experience is that it's more of a reflection of my desire to be valued as competent and ingenious, which, when mixed with a near-impossible standard that we set for ourselves, is a constant let-down. Plus we're always pretty sure we could achieve our plans if we just had more time and resources to devote to it. It's not so much a reflection of the people we interact with as it is our natural psyche.)
That being said, when I don't feel stressed with my course load, I'm pretty decent at setting interpersonal interaction and relationship-building as a goal, and genuinely enjoying my interaction. Perhaps you could plant it in his brain that he wants to get better at interpersonal relationships?
Also: When people tell me what I should do, it makes me stubborn enough to avoid doing it at all costs sometimes. (If it's relatively trivial.) I still handwrite in all-caps because my grade 7 English teacher told me it wasn't appropriate for handwritten assignments and it made me never want to write "properly" ever again just to spite her. And she was my favourite teacher, btw. I loved her! I just hate being told what to do.

I read on another forum an INTJ father with an INTJ son saying how if he wants the lawn mowed, instead of asking his son, he makes the teeny-tiniest mention of how he himself wants to get to it later in the day after he's run his errands, and by the time he's home, his son has mowed the lawn.
We love doing things for others if we know they'll value them. It also feeds our need to "understand"--if you drop tiny clues he might chase after them. (Don't be resentful if he doesn't get it, though.) Just don't expect him to listen to you directly telling him what to do.

cherchair

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
My mom and I have this kind of relationship. In fact, I think it's a common male/female thing. She wants to "chat" and I just want to get the fact and get off the phone. Your being nervous on the phone makes me feel like he's irritable and reprimands you for trying to connect to him. I resent it with my mom not being I don't like connecting, but I don't like being forced to connect like that. I see it as needy and as requiring me to respond and connect. I don't like forcing myself to feel ANYTHING, even connection. I prefer it to be natural. It's the INT side of me coming out, you could say. Maybe he's the same way.

What I always tell my mom (and I'm suggesting you try it) is to put down the need to connect for a little while and just let things be. If you have something to say, say it, but let him start to feel like he doesn't HAVE to connect to you when he talks to you. Be yourself, and find your own interests. If he can add input, go for it and ask him, but don't just ask him to make conversation, because he'll (it sounds like) notice it right away. Practice genuine communication for a while and see where it gets you. I would guess that the more freedom you give him, the more comfortable he'll be. But you want to really let go for a while, if you can, not just pretend.

I'm going to rename this thread, otherwise you won't get more than 10-20 responses. (Unless you post a hot pic as your avatar.) If you'd like it changed back, let me know. If you want to respond to this post, by all means. If I can help, I will.

It may be more of a mother/son thing than just male/female. I have an ESTJ (I think--of course he would never be tested) son who calls every couple weeks to make sure I'm doing all the right things to "take care of myself," but it feels like a duty call and his phone battery always "dies" as soon as he has all the facts or finishes giving me all the advice he seems to think I need. Yet he can talk comfortably for hours--and even confide in--my ESTJ roommate of 15 years, who helped raise him, and have no problem with his phone. I envy the easiness of their relationship and have tried to imitate her style with him without much success.

OTOH, my current lover--admittedly a *very* different relationship--is an INTJ and he's the one working at doing the connecting, maybe because I'm not trying so hard, maybe because he's lots older than my son and has developed his feeling side or at 64 rather than 24 has come to value connection; I don't know. I do know with him, I just enjoy who he is and yes, while I try to draw him out sometimes, I stop when I sense it's getting to be too much for him. And I *never* chat, though that could be because I don't really chat with anyone. Come to think of it, though, I do try chatting with my son just because I don't know what else to do.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
As others have said, I see this sort of pattern in mother/son relationships -- and I've especially seen it with ISFJ moms dealing with N kids.

You're INFJ, not ISFJ, but in my experience INFJ and ISFJ women seem to have a lot in common in how they approach motherhood. I think also the need to hear specific tangible details (i.e., concrete info) about your son's life is probably conflicting with his headiness. And most moms really are interested in those details with their children, but while the daughter might comply (I think a lot of being a woman in western culture involves family details/management) and even be interested as well, the son is interested in other pursuits and just doesn't see the point sometimes in maintaining intimate knowledge of one's daily life with his mom.

His being INTJ probably just exacerbates things. You're not going to make him do anything he doesn't want to do. You might just have to accept what he can give you, while continuing to encourage deeper dialog so that he knows you're there and interested if he gets to a point in life where he does want to give in that way.

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm dating an INTJ that I love very much... unfortunately sometimes it is really hard to make small talk. Sometimes I'll go visit him after getting home from work in all my ESFP glory and start spilling my days trials and tribulations in one giant dramatic performance that most people love to watch only to be interrupted and find that he hasn't heard a word I said. I have to be saying something highly intellectual to get him to listen intently and thats kind of rare with me. I'm better off getting his attention by being incredibly witty.
But we've learned to accept our differences and know what makes eachother happy/ and or annoyed....

So, I don't think there is an answer to have a better relationship with your son. It sounds normal, actually. You can show him that you love him by listening to his "lecturing" showing interest and asking relevant questions.... As far as small talk goes, you might have to adjust your small talk to something that interests him more... (stuff in the news??) I think as long as he keeps visiting, writing, communicating then you'll know that he loves you and he's making his own sort of attempt at a relationship. And instead of saying, "you don't ask me anything...." possibly try, "I'd love it if you'd come for lunch soon (or whatever activity) and we could catch up!" (it sounds like it has more of a purpose..)

runvardh

にゃん
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Your son is 34, has a carreer and a family of his own. How much interaction are you expecting with him?

Usehername

On a mission
As others have said, I see this sort of pattern in mother/son relationships -- and I've especially seen it with ISFJ moms dealing with N kids.

You're INFJ, not ISFJ, but in my experience INFJ and ISFJ women seem to have a lot in common in how they approach motherhood. I think also the need to hear specific tangible details (i.e., concrete info) about your son's life is probably conflicting with his headiness. And most moms really are interested in those details with their children, but while the daughter might comply (I think a lot of being a woman in western culture involves family details/management) and even be interested as well, the son is interested in other pursuits and just doesn't see the point sometimes in maintaining intimate knowledge of one's daily life with his mom.

His being INTJ probably just exacerbates things. You're not going to make him do anything he doesn't want to do. You might just have to accept what he can give you, while continuing to encourage deeper dialog so that he knows you're there and interested if he gets to a point in life where he does want to give in that way.

x2.

My mom stopped asking me about my day when I was 15 and flipped out at her for doing it, explaining to her exactly how stupid it was and how it wasted my life, after spending years of giving a one-syllable answer until she was satisfied with the amount of information she pulled out of me. Really I would've had the patience for it if she would've given me alone time first after a whole day of school and forcible interaction.

Are you just trying to be chatty? I hate chatty when I haven't had alone time. Maybe try a meaningful discussion?