• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] Dealing with stress

edcoaching

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
So what are the healty and unhealty use of Si? :)

Healthy Si: meditation especially out in nature, massage, lighting a favorite scented candle or using bath bubbles (okay, some are gender-specific :cheese:) , yoga or other mind-awareness exercise--weightlifting for example rather than mindless running which is more Se, taking delight in the small things in life.

Unhealthy Si: obsessing on physical symptoms until you're sure you have an incurable disease, overdoing anything physical like eating or exercise, concentrating on every single thing that's wrong with the present moment and losing track of the big picture.

Chocolate and red wine are great in small quantities. Have you found Trader Joe's 100-calorie dark chocolate bars? Satisfying texture, thin enough to make them last, 70% cocoa "packs a powerful antioxidant score higher than 1/2 cup of blueberries or blackberries! Chocolate anyone?"

Llewellyn

MBTI Type
INtj
Enneagram
9w1
From an INTP perspective, okay it's a short comment but: I believe Fe clears Si. You can look how it 'd work for your own type. Some of the things said here; exercise, music, any expression or acting crazy exercizes Fe and clears Si for a more stable view and well-being. (I'm aware this might be more recapitulating than adding new meaning).

edcoaching

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
From an INTP perspective, okay it's a short comment but: I believe Fe clears Si. You can look how it 'd work for your own type. Some of the things said here; exercise, music, any expression or acting crazy exercizes Fe and clears Si for a more stable view and well-being. (I'm aware this might be more recapitulating than adding new meaning).

Exercise...depends on what you do. If I go running for example I stay in Ni mode--I've run the same trails for 23 years and can get so zoned out that I suddenly don't know where I am (fortunately it's a loop). In contrast, lifting weights I have to pay attention to technique. Si.

Music is the same way. Fi is listening, using it to trigger emotions. Si, for me when I play piano because I'm not that great and have to concentrate on the printed page and where my fingers are.

Usually, using the 3rd or 4th function eases use of the dominant and auxiliary and relieves stress if it's done in pleasurable ways (obviously overusing the 4th function can bring on stress, too!) But some techniques work for everyone--there's parts of nature, music, cathartic tragedies and comedies that help us get away from our own troubles, etc...

dnivera

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp
Music is my creative outlet. I love to come home and rock out to my favorite music. It doesn't have to be rock all the time, if I'm feeling sentimental I'll listen to Tori Amos or some instrumental-only songs. When I had a piano handy I used to go out and unleash my anger/stress on it, but now that I don't, I settle for singing along with my iTunes library. Some people find drawing or painting relaxing too. But for me, being completely giggly and silly is the best stress relief.

Interesting...Ne is supposed to be my inferior, which may be part of the reason why art and music are relaxing to me.

BlueScreen

Fail 2.0
MBTI Type
YMCA
Yeh, I was wondering for ENFP what stress relief is too. It's a strange one because stress essentially seems to come from repetitive detailed tasks and lack of interesting stimulus. So unless you are tired too, lying down and crashing doesn't always help. You feel like you should be doing something and have done nothing 'useful' for the day. Some nights I can't sit infront of the TV, I just feel the need to escape and get out.

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I so second that :)

Thanks for the clarification of Si. As for the chocolate, no, I don't know that brand, as I'm from Belgium. Now, add to that that Belgium is known for its great chocolate and you understand my difficulty in resisting it *grin*