• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ENFP] You know you're an ENFP when...

BlueScreen

Fail 2.0
MBTI Type
YMCA

It's a pity most people who know us realise it though and sort of mistype us as thinkers. Though some you have to encourage not to bet against you for their own sake. I used to beat Dad at chess by reading how he made his moves and playing with his thinking. ie. rather than playing the best logical move, play his strategic blind spot. It was funny because his logical thinking is flawless and he is far higher IQ. It's sort of evil having that extra people element. Also winning poker when everyone thinks you are too drunk to concentrate, but you are still subconsciously learning how to play them and shaping their view of how they think you play. I think poker is one we are very at home with, because it is reading people's trends and playing percentages, two things our primary function does naturally.

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
It's a pity most people who know us realise it though and sort of mistype us as thinkers. Though some you have to encourage not to bet against you for their own sake. I used to beat Dad at chess by reading how he made his moves and playing with his thinking. ie. rather than playing the best logical move, play his strategic blind spot. It was funny because his logical thinking is flawless and he is far higher IQ. It's sort of evil having that extra people element. And winning poker when everyone thinks you are too drunk to concentrate, but you are still subconsciously learning how to play them and shaping their view of how they think you play. I think poker is one we are very at home with, because it is reading people's trends and playing percentages, two things our primary function does naturally.
Are you a male?

BlueScreen

Fail 2.0
MBTI Type
YMCA
Are you a male?

yep. How does it differ with females? Probably less likely to get the thinker label, yeh? Social position as a guy pushes you that way a bit. Expressing the emotional side gets held back a lot, because it is more unusual for a guy in society and you see the effect when you do use it. ie. get the clingy nutter label, even though you are fully adaptable and ready to accept any truth that is there if people choose to be straight forward with you.

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
I ask this because I think male ENFPs are more prone to use our people skills to their advantage, so to speak.

I am very good at reading people, but I cannot think of any scenario where I use this ability against them.

When I play chess I am really concentrated on the board and where the chess pieces are on the board, holistically, any strategy that I use is subconscious, but for a novice, I am pretty decent at it.

When I play Scrabble, however, I can be consciously strategic in my playing but usually prefer making the coolest words possible over making the words that would yield the most points.

I don't know if I have a highly developed Te or a good conversational memory, but when arguing/debating/discussing something with a group of people or a person one on one, I am quite good at staying on course, stating and clarifying my points, and keeping the exchanging of ideas organized.

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
yep. How does it differ with females? Probably less likely to get the thinker label, yeh?
Hmm, ever since grade school I have been jokingly, and at times, not so jokingly called and accused of being some kind of lawyer.

I am a lover of logic, and have a deep respect and reverence for the Truth, I just happen to be quite passionate in my reception and expression of both. :D

BlueScreen

Fail 2.0
MBTI Type
YMCA
I ask this because I think male ENFPs are more prone to use our people skills to their advantage, so to speak.

I am very good at reading people, but I cannot think of any scenario where I use this ability against them.

When I play chess I am really concentrated on the board and where the chess pieces are on the board, holistically, any strategy that I use is subconscious, but for a novice, I am pretty decent at it.

When I play Scrabble, however, I can be consciously strategic in my playing but usually prefer making the coolest words possible over making the words that would yield the most points.

I don't know if I have a highly developed Te or a good conversational memory, but when arguing/debating/discussing something with a group of people or a person one on one, I am quite good at staying on course, stating and clarifying my points, and keeping the exchanging of ideas organized.

It might be a social thing of growing up with sports and competition as a guy also. You sort of have places where it is okay to use it, and places where it is taking advantage and not part of the game.

I have the same trouble with scrabble, I focus more on words than points, or try to make four words by putting down three tiles and stuff. Pretty much play around too much to win.

I keep focussed when needed also. So yeh, debating I probably go the same way.

BlueScreen

Fail 2.0
MBTI Type
YMCA
Hmm, ever since grade school I have been jokingly, and at times, not so jokingly called and accused of being some kind of lawyer.

I am a lover of logic, and have a deep respect and reverence for the Truth, I just happen to be quite passionate in my reception and expression of both. :D

:).

What do you work in out of interest? I'm in physics which sort of makes my thinking side get a lot of focus. Looking for a career change though. Nursing and teaching are up there now. Thought about psychology but defining people unnerves me as well as interests me.

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
:). I've got called both rainman and best personality in a friendship circle on facebook. Talk about contradictory. Maybe we romanticise logic even if it is taken to the almost autistic extreme sometimes.

What do you work in out of interest? I'm in physics which sort of makes my thinking side get a lot of focus. Looking for a career change though.
Hahahaha, I am a professional college student, with 127 units completed, (over 180 units attempted :unsure:), and two more semesters left, after this one, before I finally officially complete/receive my BA. :doh:

Spent my first year as a math major, a couple years undecided (thinking about becoming a dance major), a year as a liberal studies major, and three semesters as a biology major.

I am currently a psychology major and am fascinated by human evolution, ethology and sexuality. :)

I do odd things to make enough money to get by.

As for a future living, I dunno, I think I definitely want to both write and teach.

What I did realize, however, after being a bio major for almost two years, is that I am not meant to be a scientist, but rather am a science enthusiast.

I am big into understanding dynamic relationships between/within macrosystems, and hence am more interested in scientific theory than in technological application.

Laboratory work for the lose. :zzz:

BlueScreen

Fail 2.0
MBTI Type
YMCA
Hahahaha, I am a professional college student, with 127 units completed, (over 180 units attempted :unsure:), and two more semesters left, after this one, before I finally officially complete/receive my BA. :doh:

Spent my first year as a math major, a couple years undecided (thinking about becoming a dance major), a year as a liberal studies major, and three semesters as a biology major.

I am currently a psychology major and am fascinated by human evolution, ethology and sexuality. :)

I do odd things to make enough money to get by.

As for a future living, I dunno, I think I definitely want to both write and teach.

What I did realize, however, after being a bio major for almost two years, is that I am not meant to be a scientist, but rather am a science enthusiast.

I am big into understanding dynamic relationships between/within macrosystems, and hence am more interested in scientific theory than in technological application.

Laboratory work for the lose. :zzz:

I think the professional student is type related. I'm in my 9th year at uni. Got Honours in Engineering and Science and almost finished a masters/phd but realised as you did that the technical application drives me nuts and bores me. Didn't attend enough in undergrad to notice :).

I haven't got round to taking any art subjects at uni but I take a lot of interest in writing and music, and also in medicine. Medicine really intrigues me, maybe why nursing has now become an option. I'd want to be a doctor but after going a bit nuts in science, the idea of being stuck in the same city and poor for another 5 years isn't really that attractive.

Travelling and writing would be a cool job. It is interesting you mention evolution too. I love understanding development and evolution in almost any context.

Yeh, when I work it is normally for a decent wage and in 3 to 6 month bursts. I realise I need money for something and think of the most efficient way to get there. Somehow I'm honest about that and bosses still don't mind me. Suppose I give my all to the job because they are paying me and I think that it's fair to return the favour. My saving ability sucks though.

Cimarron

IRL is not real
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Also winning poker...you are still subconsciously learning how to play them and shaping their view of how they think you play. I think poker is one we are very at home with, because it is reading people's trends and playing percentages, two things our primary function does naturally.

Wow, maybe this is part of why I'm horrible at poker. I am humbled before you guys. :jew: Still love the game, though.

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
I think the professional student is type related. I'm in my 9th year at uni. Got Honours in Engineering and Science and almost finished a masters/phd but realised as you did that the technical application drives me nuts and bores me. Didn't attend enough in undergrad to notice :)

Travelling and writing would be a cool job. It is interesting you mention evolution too. I love understanding development and evolution in almost any context.

Yeh, when I work it is normally for a decent wage and in 3 to 6 month bursts. I realise I need money for something and think of the most efficient way to get there. Somehow I'm honest about that and bosses still don't mind me.
HAHAHAHAHAHHAA!!!

Shock, horror, reading this reminds me of myself!!! :D

:enfphighfive:

Wow, maybe this is part of why I'm horrible at poker. I am humbled before you guys. :jew: Still love the game, though.
I suck balls at poker, I can never hide my enthusiasm when I have a great hand. :blushing:

BlueScreen

Fail 2.0
MBTI Type
YMCA
I suck balls at poker, I can never hide my enthusiasm when I have a great hand. :blushing:

I think that is why I play better when drunk :). I just pay attention to anything else but the cards and sort of throw them to background thoughts. Take a glance and get back to conversation and no one can tell if I'm excited about the cards or the conversation :). I get a bit too excited sometimes though, and just want to get to the end of the hand to see how it plays out. The strange thing is these are normally going for weird hands, rather than when I have two aces.

Cimarron

IRL is not real
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
The guys I play cards with say I'm very predictable (who would've guessed? :dry: ). But it's just that "people element", I'm not even thinking in those terms. Even if I could see it, I probably wouldn't be able to trust it, just thinking it's coincidence or something.

Hope you don't mind me visiting. The rest of the forum is kind of dead right now. Carry on...

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Lol, but you're an ISTJ, and should therefore have the best poker face of them all, that being...

:mellow:

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
I think that is why I play better when drunk :). I just pay attention to anything else but the cards and sort of throw them to background thoughts. Take a glance and get back to conversation and no one can tell if I'm excited about the cards or the conversation :). I get a bit too excited sometimes though, and just want to get to the end of the hand to see how it plays out. The strange thing is these are normally going for weird hands, rather than when I have two aces.
Pure genius!!!

:)

*makes a mental note*

:yes: