123 Last

Senior Member Officer Ed Powell's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    954 sx/sp
    Socionics
    TRSH None

Default Why the hate or dislike for INFP?

I posted this in reply to someone's type thread but I thought it merited its own discussion:

I'm not sure how or why INFP came to be seen as a pejorative and an insult. It must say something about our broader culture that we would see traits or qualities associated with that type as negative or weak.

There seems to be a "coolness factor" associated with each of the types that share 3 of the INFP's letter. INTPs are seen as the logical wizards who can learn to program as easily as other people learn their ABCs. ISFPs are seen as the sensitive rebels who are good artists at whatever they do. ENFPs are seen as the zany manic pixie dream boys and girls who between their bouts of hyperactivity offer nuggets of clarity and wisdom. INFJs are seen as the mystic seers who know people better than they know themselves.

Yet INFP often seems to be seen the joke, the weakling, the oversensitive daydreamer who is unable to function in the world. It seems to be the most negatively viewed of any of the N types too.

I don't get it.
    Likes Grand Admiral Crunch liked this post

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sp

Such reputation was gained because of the pseudo INFP tumblrites... The Emo kind. Plus INFPs in most sites only way was described as hippie artists, and description of any practical quality that other types has was lacking (No practical quality was given to them), plus anyone easily can be an artist if they just try, regardless of a person if an INFP or not, it is what makes INFP to look so burden in the MBTI gene pool.

INFP's described to have very emotinaly strong writers and stuff, but It's still noticeable that people asses whether one is an INFP based on how emotinaly Reactive the person is, which makes it very counter intuitive. There is huge bias towards Extroverted types in general, I notice usualy that they put types such as ENTJ, ESTP, ENTP and ENFJ in the highest place in the MBTI gene pool, there is huge bias assesment that Extroverts are basicaly immune from having vulnerabilities that Introverts have, which usualy it is clumsiness, awkwardness, you get the idea.
    * As you cross the Event Horizon of the Blackhole and fall into the Singularity core ...

... do not fear the Gravitational Fantasy of Horrors and Darkness...
    ... as you are facing with what you are at the core and make it your kingdom ...

to bend the Surroundings to your will!
    Likes Officer Ed Powell liked this post

Enneagram
    Ƌ

Quote Originally Posted by Officer Ed Powell View Post
    I'm not sure how or why INFP came to be seen as a pejorative and an insult..
    Ah... this old goat, it's as old as time itself as old as typology forums. There have been countless threads on this very topic going back to the beginning of this forums inception, as well as on several other typology oriented forums. Ask some of the long term regular self-identified NF's if they recall any of the old disputes and discussions as they might have a bunch to say. I am not interested enough to rehash it or dig up old threads, though I distinctly remember there being a number of rather heated INFP vs. INFJ threads right around when I joined here.

I don't think there is one answer as to why types are looked up or down upon, it all comes down to cultural ideals and what are seen as desirable or undesirable traits in conjunction with the collective view on what a type embodies and is like. In the case of INFP's the most common and well known descriptions run counter to classical presentations of masculinity. Like anything that does that, it's going to be attacked and represented by individuals who attract said attacks knowingly or unknowingly. That's just one angle though. When it gets into the nitty gritty, I distinctly remember a lot of the fights between INFP and INFJ groups on here boiled down to who was more self aware who was more ego driven and who was actually narcissistic under the presented cover (particularly covert narcissism).

Honestly, it's a dumb fight all told. It's a personality label, and shouldn't be a part of your identity. People are attracted to archetypes, and everyone has an opinion on which ones are good, bad, or better/worse than the others and this gets applied to the 16 types too. I encourage all folks to try and move past that, all you'll be doing is wasting your time and distracting yourself from really understanding yourself because the primary concern at that point becomes about feeling or desiring being seen as superior to others in a permament way. That's hardly a way anyone should aspire to be. Just another form of tribalism emerging and a rather easy one to avoid at the end of the day.
    It is our duty to create meaning.

If only it were that simple.

dec xoⱶe daÿ ʞ̇ɛẙn̂e bınuzɛ, ᴊys sɔᴛuse.
    Likes Charus, Officer Ed Powell liked this post

Senior Member Officer Ed Powell's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    954 sx/sp
    Socionics
    TRSH None

Thanks for the replies, lots of good insights.

I don't know why INFP would be seen as an especially effeminate type. Perhaps they come across moreso on the internet?

I mean there's a good likelihood I'm one, but I've been described as somewhat masculine or "manly"; wearing a full beard, chopping wood in a t-shirt on cold winter days--traits or activities that are almost to the point of absurdity in how masculine they are perceived. Not to say I feel especially masculine, I feel more androgynous, just going by how some people have described me in the past. All that said, I find it very hard to identify with any description or writings on INFP types, to the point I wonder if no INFPs are involved in writing about this type and it's all based on some idea of them rather than any solid understanding of type theory. I dunno.

MBTI
    dɟu
    Enneagram
    925 sx/sp

They're all stupid poopy heads! Why wouldn't anyone hate them? What's there to like? Nothing!

Ha. Seriously, maybe I'm oblivious, but the only thing I recall seeing is how we (INFPs, since I am one) are labeled cinnamon rolls. Which doesn't even seem that insulting to me. For someone who loves cinnamon rolls, it's a compliment. *shrugs* I am sure the stick-to-your-guns morality is annoying to others sometimes. The Ne diversions into goofiness and falling into rabbit holes, too. But there are some non-infp people who love those things about infps.

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    479 sx/so

Because they're secretly cannibals, every last one.

Weep not poor children
    For life is this way
    Murdering beauty and passions

ESFP 4w3 7w8 9w8 sx/so
    Se>Fi>Si>Fe>Te>Ni=Ne>Ti

I like my town with a little drop of poison:
    Nobody knows, they're lining up to go insane...

MBTI
    dɟu
    Enneagram
    925 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by The Cat View Post
    Because they're secretly cannibals, every last one.
    LIAR!

*clears throat* I mean... clearly you're mistaken. We're kind and loving! Why just look at this lovely bath I've prepared for you! It'll be so relaxing and pampering... I added a whole bottle of cooking sherry essential oil!

Likes The Cat liked this post

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    479 sx/so

Every. Last. One.

Weep not poor children
    For life is this way
    Murdering beauty and passions

ESFP 4w3 7w8 9w8 sx/so
    Se>Fi>Si>Fe>Te>Ni=Ne>Ti

I like my town with a little drop of poison:
    Nobody knows, they're lining up to go insane...

Likes Luminous liked this post

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Officer Ed Powell View Post
    Yet INFP often seems to be seen the joke, the weakling, the oversensitive daydreamer who is unable to function in the world. It seems to be the most negatively viewed of any of the N types too.
    Really? I don't see this characterization of INFPs. Many of my online friends have been INFPs, and other INFPs seem to be well liked/received, even when I haven't seen eye to eye with them.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

blackbird, fly Julius_Van_Der_Beak's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

Quote Originally Posted by ısoprene View Post
    That's just one angle though. When it gets into the nitty gritty, I distinctly remember a lot of the fights between INFP and INFJ groups on here boiled down to who was more self aware who was more ego driven and who was actually narcissistic under the presented cover (particularly covert narcissism).

According to Keirsey, both types have lots of anxieties about authenticity as well as a strong desire to transcend the ego. Given that, it actually makes sense that they would fight over that, because it's something important to them.
    A path is made by walking on it.

-Zhuangzi