• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INFP] Why the hate or dislike for INFP?

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I posted this in reply to someone's type thread but I thought it merited its own discussion:

I'm not sure how or why INFP came to be seen as a pejorative and an insult. It must say something about our broader culture that we would see traits or qualities associated with that type as negative or weak.

There seems to be a "coolness factor" associated with each of the types that share 3 of the INFP's letter. INTPs are seen as the logical wizards who can learn to program as easily as other people learn their ABCs. ISFPs are seen as the sensitive rebels who are good artists at whatever they do. ENFPs are seen as the zany manic pixie dream boys and girls who between their bouts of hyperactivity offer nuggets of clarity and wisdom. INFJs are seen as the mystic seers who know people better than they know themselves.

Yet INFP often seems to be seen the joke, the weakling, the oversensitive daydreamer who is unable to function in the world. It seems to be the most negatively viewed of any of the N types too.

I don't get it.

Tonitrum

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Such reputation was gained because of the pseudo INFP tumblrites... The Emo kind. Plus INFPs in most sites only way was described as hippie artists, and description of any practical quality that other types has was lacking (No practical quality was given to them), plus anyone easily can be an artist if they just try, regardless of a person if an INFP or not, it is what makes INFP to look so burden in the MBTI gene pool.

INFP's described to have very emotinaly strong writers and stuff, but It's still noticeable that people asses whether one is an INFP based on how emotinaly Reactive the person is, which makes it very counter intuitive. There is huge bias towards Extroverted types in general, I notice usualy that they put types such as ENTJ, ESTP, ENTP and ENFJ in the highest place in the MBTI gene pool, there is huge bias assesment that Extroverts are basicaly immune from having vulnerabilities that Introverts have, which usualy it is clumsiness, awkwardness, you get the idea.

á´…eparted

passages
I'm not sure how or why INFP came to be seen as a pejorative and an insult..

Ah... this old goat, it's as old as time itself as old as typology forums. There have been countless threads on this very topic going back to the beginning of this forums inception, as well as on several other typology oriented forums. Ask some of the long term regular self-identified NF's if they recall any of the old disputes and discussions as they might have a bunch to say. I am not interested enough to rehash it or dig up old threads, though I distinctly remember there being a number of rather heated INFP vs. INFJ threads right around when I joined here.

I don't think there is one answer as to why types are looked up or down upon, it all comes down to cultural ideals and what are seen as desirable or undesirable traits in conjunction with the collective view on what a type embodies and is like. In the case of INFP's the most common and well known descriptions run counter to classical presentations of masculinity. Like anything that does that, it's going to be attacked and represented by individuals who attract said attacks knowingly or unknowingly. That's just one angle though. When it gets into the nitty gritty, I distinctly remember a lot of the fights between INFP and INFJ groups on here boiled down to who was more self aware who was more ego driven and who was actually narcissistic under the presented cover (particularly covert narcissism).

Honestly, it's a dumb fight all told. It's a personality label, and shouldn't be a part of your identity. People are attracted to archetypes, and everyone has an opinion on which ones are good, bad, or better/worse than the others and this gets applied to the 16 types too. I encourage all folks to try and move past that, all you'll be doing is wasting your time and distracting yourself from really understanding yourself because the primary concern at that point becomes about feeling or desiring being seen as superior to others in a permament way. That's hardly a way anyone should aspire to be. Just another form of tribalism emerging and a rather easy one to avoid at the end of the day.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Thanks for the replies, lots of good insights.

I don't know why INFP would be seen as an especially effeminate type. Perhaps they come across moreso on the internet?

I mean there's a good likelihood I'm one, but I've been described as somewhat masculine or "manly"; wearing a full beard, chopping wood in a t-shirt on cold winter days--traits or activities that are almost to the point of absurdity in how masculine they are perceived. Not to say I feel especially masculine, I feel more androgynous, just going by how some people have described me in the past. All that said, I find it very hard to identify with any description or writings on INFP types, to the point I wonder if no INFPs are involved in writing about this type and it's all based on some idea of them rather than any solid understanding of type theory. I dunno.

Luminous

༻✧✧༺
MBTI Type
Iᑎᖴᑭ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
They're all stupid poopy heads! Why wouldn't anyone hate them? What's there to like? Nothing!

Ha. Seriously, maybe I'm oblivious, but the only thing I recall seeing is how we (INFPs, since I am one) are labeled cinnamon rolls. Which doesn't even seem that insulting to me. For someone who loves cinnamon rolls, it's a compliment. *shrugs* I am sure the stick-to-your-guns morality is annoying to others sometimes. The Ne diversions into goofiness and falling into rabbit holes, too. But there are some non-infp people who love those things about infps.

The Cat

Just a Cat who hangs out at the Crossroads
Staff member
Because they're secretly cannibals, every last one.

Luminous

༻✧✧༺
MBTI Type
Iᑎᖴᑭ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Because they're secretly cannibals, every last one.

LIAR!

*clears throat* I mean... clearly you're mistaken. We're kind and loving! Why just look at this lovely bath I've prepared for you! It'll be so relaxing and pampering... I added a whole bottle of cooking sherry essential oil!

giphy.gif

The Cat

Staff member
Every. Last. One.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Yet INFP often seems to be seen the joke, the weakling, the oversensitive daydreamer who is unable to function in the world. It seems to be the most negatively viewed of any of the N types too.
Really? I don't see this characterization of INFPs. Many of my online friends have been INFPs, and other INFPs seem to be well liked/received, even when I haven't seen eye to eye with them.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
That's just one angle though. When it gets into the nitty gritty, I distinctly remember a lot of the fights between INFP and INFJ groups on here boiled down to who was more self aware who was more ego driven and who was actually narcissistic under the presented cover (particularly covert narcissism).

According to Keirsey, both types have lots of anxieties about authenticity as well as a strong desire to transcend the ego. Given that, it actually makes sense that they would fight over that, because it's something important to them.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I was completely unaware there is anything considered wrong with being INFP. Fi-doms get pegged as "snowflakes" or whatever because of emotional sensitivity and ISFP are often considered stupid because they aren't iNtuitives, but INFPs being put down beyond that is new to me. It's mostly the emotional sensitivity issue that I'm aware of being used in a derogatory way when debates go ad hominem. Then words like "butthurt" and "snowflake" come up, which is actually completely stupid because every snowflake is different - yes even the NT snowflakes and yes, some of you are beneath all your ranting and roaring out supposed toughness.

Yuurei

Noncompliant
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
I had no idea this was a thing. I am fine with them. We usually get a long well. Yeah, their emotionality can wear on me but I appreciate their lack of judgement-which just about every other type seems to enjoy heaping genorously upon me- so I figure I can return the favor and turn a blind eye.

I Tonya

Rythym of the night
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I hate how much I like them.

Idk, it's an opposite mix for me, but nevertheless I still receive a good amount of understanding and openmindness from them.

batteries included

MBTI Type
ISTJ
INFPs aren't the most disliked type. What about ISFJs for instance?

ISFPs might be seen as the "rebel artists" and might be imbued with a stronger sense of identity when it come to mbti descriptions, but they have negative perceptions tied to them as well, such as the "dumb creative" (that I don't necessarily agree with)

Vendrah

MBTI Type
NP
Enneagram
I have some reading all over web for years.
Every type has a hate thread or a hate mention somewhere on the internet.
I dont see usually have for INFP type, the most MBTI types hated by community, top 3, are not INFPs. Im not going to teel which one because I hate one from the list as well.

21%

You have a choice!
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I certainly don't dislike INFPs as I'm happily married to one.
Maybe it's a trend? A while ago it was all about 'evil INFJs' And everyone hates their ESTJ superviser or something like that.

Tennessee Jed

MBTI Type
INFP
Some people get bugged by INFP "aloofness." Even as an INFP myself, that INFP aloofness bugs me about other INFPs. INFPs often don't like one another--they sense each other's aloofness and act aloof in return (unless they are the opposite sex).

[ETA:] INFPs can also be very defensive, which is probably related to the aloofness issue. In turn, that defensiveness can lead to a lot of passive-aggressiveness on the part of INFPs if they think someone has stepped on one of their values.

Also, some INFPs are tiresome flakes. They'll make plans in the future and then not even phone or show up when the time comes. That was never my own way of doing things, but I've seen it among other INFPs.

Just my own opinion, of course.

The Cat

Staff member
You're going first. :newwink:

I'm afraid that's not possible. ESFP's are all secretly non-corporeal. We're like Al from quantum leap. A hollowgram that only all of planet earth can see and hear. :shrug: