• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] Introverted or extroverted?

Rachelinpa

MBTI Type
ENFP
I know I'm an introvert but I've got this close friend who keeps insisting that I'm an extrovert and saying that I'm deluding myself from who I really am.

I have heard that one as well. The extroverts think I'm introverted and the introverts think I'm extroverted. You can be both, you know.

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Interesting that two ENFPs should say that they get those comments a lot.

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Interesting that two ENFPs should say that they get those comments a lot.

I think subconsciously, at least for me, it's in part the fact I tend to be the "maverick" in any given group. Naturally, due to my open mindedness, if you will, Ne's "exploring the possibilities" and all that. I don't know...

BookLady

MBTI Type
ENFP
differences in I's and E's

I struggle with understanding this sometimes, too.

I feel more and more introverted but just last night, I was super tired but I had to get on a teleconference call. I was on it for 90 min after which time I couldn't fall asleep. My husband said it was bec I am an ENFP and I got 'energy' from all the people on the call. Is he right?

I used to think my dad was an ENFP but I just can't decide.

Given the choice in picking a place at Mass, he chose the left aisle near the wall (introverted behavior); when we had a bunch of company over, he sat very quietly in his lazy boy. loving to listen but only occasionally making comments, albeit fun ones; my mother used to complain that he was so energetic with everyone during the day at work but he would come home and just sit in his chair, having no energy left to give; he wasn't a very good communicator extemporaneously but given the time to draft a letter it could be good; he loved good food and music and was very, very warm and affectionate.

How on earth can I figure him out now that he is deceased? I really want to know. I am an enfp and I think my mother was an istj (also deceased).

My sister is an INFJ, my older brother probably ESTJ and my younger brother an enigma.

wedekit

MBTI Type
INFJ
I know I'm an introvert because of many reasons:

My tolerance for stimulation is low. When I'm in a small room full of people who are talking very loudly and over each other I start to feel like my brain is going to explode; a borderline panic-attack I suppose. The same goes for listening to music (that isn't my preferred music) at insanely loud volumes.

Also, I noticed that about 90% of my video games are one-player games; mostly RPGs. After a long week of classes and work, nothing sounds better than spending most of my weekend in my room by myself surfing the net, watching a movie, playing some video games, reading a book, etc. The last thing I want to do is go out and "have fun". I know it sounds lame and boring, but it's just how I am.

Unless it's a psychology (my major) class, I usually never raise my hand when the teacher asks a question. Mostly because I have to ponder ("introspect") it, and by the time I decide on an answer an extravert has already raised their hand, answered it, and the teacher has moved on to a new question. I hate it when teachers call me out of the crowd to answer because I require time to think when answering, which I am usually not allowed when under such constraints. Not to mention I can't think properly when the teacher and class are all looking right at me. Lame!

Anyways, I'm sure I can come up with some more key experiences I go through as an introvert, but these are the ones that came to my mind first. I'm not sure if they apply to all introverts 100% (I'm sure they don't), but I usually score as very highly introverted on any personality measure (Big 5, Eysenck's Personality Questionnaire, MBTI, etc.).

It's very interesting to me how some people are unable to decide if they are E or I. I think I have always known I was different from others in this regard, but it was a relief for me to know that there was a word for it: introverted. My mom referred to it as "anti-social" when I was young, or called me a snob for not being socially outgoing. I don't hold it against her because I understand where she was coming from.

Llewellyn

MBTI Type
INtj
Enneagram
9w1
I have heard that one as well. The extroverts think I'm introverted and the introverts think I'm extroverted. You can be both, you know.

Just like Elizabeth Wagele says that in a relationship one of the two becomes the relative extravert.

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Really? Ok. I more often see paralells between E/S and I/N. I see S as an important aider of good communication.
I am only going by my own experience.
I choose my words very carefully and give them a lot of weight, but many SJ types I know, do not seem to put as much weight on my words as I mean them to have, so I didn't think that it was a J/P thing. Instead I thought it might be an S/N thing, but I don't know either. I'm not sure if it's something that can be stereotyped.