• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Fe] Fe: No cute title...I just don't get it

sakuraba

Permabanned
MBTI Type
(y)
Enneagram
7w8
I vaguely understand Fe. To me, it seems like the fakest function of all.

I tend to bump heads with these ppl very often. ISFJ,ESFJ especially. With their phony smiles bouncing around all giddy and shit.

When I think of Fe, I think of this:
YouTube - Ashlee Simpson Screwup News Report

Can someone help explain this function so I can hopefully gain some respect for it.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
i don't know about anyone else but...i am the furthest thing from phoney...i have truth tourettes a lil bit actually.

sakuraba

Permabanned
MBTI Type
(y)
Enneagram
7w8
i don't know about anyone else but...i am the furthest thing from phoney...i have truth tourettes a lil bit actually.

Well eNFP is dominant Ne and secondary Fi...

Fe is not a part of your major functions.

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Fe types are actually quite sincere.

Only because they insist on using the socially acceptable/conventional ways of displaying this sincerity do they get shit.

If you want to look at insincere Fe, go look at the ETPs.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
okay then...nevermind
no fun not knowing enough yet! haha

redacted

I tend to bump heads with these ppl very often. ISFJ,ESFJ especially. With their phony smiles bouncing around all giddy and shit.

Can someone help explain this function so I can hopefully gain some respect for it.

I have a feeling that when you're saying Fe, you mean Fe without grounding in introverted functions.

Fe, by definition, looks to external evidence for feeling validation. Fe users can be incredibly individualistic (INFJs probably most so), they just look for tangible reasons for feeling.

My feelings (value judgments) pretty much mean nothing to me before I can explain them in external terms. Something like -- X leads to Y, and people that face Y generally respond this way, affecting group mentality like Z. I'm in that group, so it makes sense that I feel Z. Of course, all of that processing requires Ti, Ni, and Se too...

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP

When I think of "Feeling" I generally think of Fe more than Fi. Feeling makes judgements based on how others are affected rather than judging things on impersonal criteria (i.e. thinking). Fe tends to do this directly. If they like someone then they will give the person a smile or hug or compliment or something. If they don't like the person, then they might say so (or possibly they will tell their group of friends they don't like the person). Fe users tend to wear their hearts on their sleeves so to speak (especially Fe doms). If an Fe user is happy or sad or angry or whatever then they tend to let people know it. To summarize Fe is the expressive type of feeling. (In contrast it can be difficult to know what an Fi dom is experiencing because they usually keep their judgements to themselves.)

Some people view Fe as fake. There are a number of reasons for this, but I think the most common is that a person with undeveloped Fe doesn't really understand that FJ types process things differently. For example a compliment might not mean much to an INTP, but it is a meaningful connection to a FJ type (assuming that it is perceived as sincere). Another reason Fe can seem fake is that ExTP types realize the effect different actions have on FJ types so they can learn to fake Fe to some extent. Ultimately the ExTP's are just faking it though, and this can make people think Fe is fake in general.

Dwigie

MBTI Type
INFP
Agree with laser. But I am fake with people I don't want to establish a real connection with, obviously. I stick to pretty boring subject with these people so I can chase them off even though I seem very nice. I seem very "smiley face" and there's this kind of void behind it that lets people guess I really really am being insincere and don't give a damn about the conversation, well not all people.

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
When I think of "Feeling" I generally think of Fe more than Fi. Feeling makes judgements based on how others are affected rather than judging things on impersonal criteria (i.e. thinking). Fe tends to do this directly. If they like someone then they will give the person a smile or hug or compliment or something. If they don't like the person, then they might say so (or possibly they will tell their group of friends they don't like the person). Fe users tend to wear their hearts on their sleeves so to speak (especially Fe doms). If an Fe user is happy or sad or angry or whatever then they tend to let people know it. To summarize Fe is the expressive type of feeling. (In contrast it can be difficult to know what an Fi dom is experiencing because they usually keep their judgements to themselves.)

Some people view Fe as fake. There are a number of reasons for this, but I think the most common is that a person with undeveloped Fe doesn't really understand that FJ types process things differently. For example a compliment might not mean much to an INTP, but it is a meaningful connection to a FJ type (assuming that it is perceived as sincere). Another reason Fe can seem fake is that ExTP types realize the effect different actions have on FJ types so they can learn to fake Fe to some extent. Ultimately the ExTP's are just faking it though, and this can make people think Fe is fake in general.

Precisely. I get accused of the fake thing all the time but I've noticed that it's only when I am being nice (which is sincere) and when I am happy. The accusation comes flying out of nowhere. It's strange. :shock:

I don't act fake with anyone. If I don't like someone I just try to avoid them because I'd rather them not upset me.

A Schnitzel

WTF is this dude saying?
MBTI Type
INTP
Fe is awesome.

Anyone who says otherwise gets beat up.

mlittrell

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w1
if you type "extroverted feeling" into google you will quickly find out what Fe is. and it is everything but fake lol.

edcoaching

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
I taught a 4-day workshop one time where a third of the participants were dominant Fe's and I'd venture to say all mature people--a perfect fish bowl of what Fe looks like at its best. In subtle ways they were constantly making sure everyone was having as much fun as they were, making sure the coffee stayed fresh and hot, suggesting a bit better arrangement for tables so everyone could see, organizing lunch so no one who wanted to be included was excluded, etc. The whole room was happy all week.

Fe at its best is working toward harmony (not manipulation), recognizing others' needs and acting to meet them when appropriate (not codependency), ensuring a group remains true to its cause (without becoming bossy), and listening and responding (sincerely). Those are the behaviors you see when Fe is making decisions based on stepping into the shoes of others and understanding the impact on each person of various alternatives. Like all types, they're great people when they have mature command of their function and a well-developed auxiliary to keep them grounded...

Fe is my auxiliary. It's never as natural for me to read a room (unless I'm training and then it's my job and the instinct kicks in), note others' needs, speak up with compliments, etc. It always feels like an afterthought. Here's where I have trouble, though, with the 8-function model as I'm not sure Fe is a "thing" as much as "I'm an Introvert who prefers Feeling but has to give myself a jump-start to get out of my Introverted world and act on what the Feeling function just decided..." That delay probably lessens the sincerity meter with others since my reactions are often delayed.

Eldanen

Arcesso pulli gingerios!
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4

Animal magnetism, perhaps, would be a good analogy of it.

Uytuun

MBTI Type
nnnn
I saw what Fe could do yesterday, I was impressed.

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP
Fe types are actually quite sincere.
Also, Fe types are insincere.

Depends on the user. Stop with this Hap -- Type has nothing to do with sincerity, or... anything other than functions.

Only because they insist on using the socially acceptable/conventional ways of displaying this sincerity do they get shit.
False. My grandmother is ESFJ. She pretends to care, and she pretends to not care about things. But really what she's doing, is preying on the F of other people.

Here's a fun fact: You don't have to be effectively emotional to be F.
It just helps.

Take a look at Michael Scott for instance. He acts a lot like my grandmother. Insincere Fe from an ENFJ.