• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] Writing an NF character

skimpit

I'm writing the best satire I can.

That's probably not the best line to open with if we're talking about NFs.

But I want to write a serious satire -- meaning it'd be a book that mixes serious moments with moments of deep sarcasm.

One of the main characters I'm having trouble typing. Maybe he's an NF, or just vaguely N.

He was verbally abused as a child, but was actually very sensitive and driven toward a goal of becoming the best person to spread his vision of bringing his country's traditional music back into the mainstream after years of it being trashed by the young people who derided it. He wanted to make new music that used this old style, mixed with new, to seize control of the music industry and blow it apart, because he found his government corrupt in its newest incarnation.

But as he would have had to think quickly to fight back against his father who hurled insults and sometimes fists at him, I'm thinking he would have had to have developed a thick skin, so maybe more Thinker-like characteristics? I don't know. Or some kind of loop?

I've taken several tests as him and I've actually gotten INTP for him (for his outer shell). Hey, N -- so that's a start! But I do want him to have that deep-down sensitive vibe... So I think I need to do more thinking. That's part of what this post is.

I could be misunderstanding what exactly in my character's past could correspond to type... So if anyone has any advice on how to pinpoint his type, that'd be wonderful. I think INFJ just seems cool, but I have to admit I don't have a great understanding of the type. I want to write him so that he can provide insight that shatters the satirical narrative at times, for narrative purpose.

I might have questions on his friend, later, who I suspect might also be NF, and if I do, I'll post them here.

skimpit

Writers: how have y'all written characters using typing systems? I know it's said MBTI shouldn't be a first concern and for me it isn't. I just wonder about type so I can better understand what I've done.