• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] INFP issues and questions

BlueSprout

/X\(:: :: )/X\
MBTI Type
pfni
Enneagram
Hi, I'm new here and I thought I'd share some thoughts and ask some questions about being an INFP. It's a little strange sounding to me (though probably useful) to reduce people to types, though there is bound to be some variation. I suppose as an INFP I'm obligated to object to this sort of pigeon-holing because it offends my *deeply sacred* belief in individualism and distrust of Teh Science *snickers* -- well the first part is true enough.

I*do* tend to prefer daydreams to reality, be a bit of a pushover, lack self-esteem, etc. The whole allergy to logic and retarded ability to reason/get from A to B/distinguish fact from reality that is attributed to the INFP hurts my gut to admit, but I suppose it has to be fair – though I fight hard against it. It's hard to wear the dunce cap, huh? But, hey, I happen to know INTPs/ISTPs who can tolerate my mental (well can you call it a) state(?) well enough. And not just because I make them feel better about themselves. At least I hope not...

On the other hand, I'm not a very creative or optimistic person (though I'm probably more of an idealist than a pragmatist). I'm certainly not spiritual. Also, I tend to be quite talkative (at least, when in the right mood) with people I know (though I'm still emotionally distant and generally live an insular existence). So some things don't quite fit. Mostly the good things, unfortunately.

Are there any INFPs who can relate? How do you differ from the MBTI profile? Do you differ strongly or fall somewhere in between types? How do you deal with the logical/reasoning people in your life? What do you do to develop critical thinking skills? What do you do to develop the innate skills/qualities if they are latent?

disregard

mrs
MBTI Type
INFP
Personality profiles are shit. Think about it. What does some system know about you? Nothing.

All of your issues can be resolved if you work at it. You are not an INFP, you have only identified with that personality. Do not let it become a self-fulfilling prophesy.

Do not be seduced!

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Personality profiles are shit. Think about it. What does some system know about you? Nothing.

All of your issues can be resolved if you work at it. You are not an INFP, you have only identified with that personality. Do not let it become a self-fulfilling prophesy.

Do not be seduced!

Word.

Just know you are awesome (although not as awesome as me) because you are unique.

Well in all fairness, there is some logic to the MBTI system I can relate to a few things. But taking everything with a grain of salt is important and healthy.

Neo Genesis

MBTI Type
InFp
Enneagram
4w5
It's a little strange sounding to me (though probably useful) to reduce people to types, though there is bound to be some variation.

Some users on here also have a certain disgust with stereotyping individuals based on MBTI alone. See above.

Also, I tend to be quite talkative (at least, when in the right mood) with people I know (though I'm still emotionally distant and generally live an insular existence). So some things don't quite fit. Mostly the good things, unfortunately.

As far as I know, alot of INFP's do that. I certainly do. I'm only tight-lipped around people I don't know well.

Are there any INFPs who can relate? How do you differ from the MBTI profile? Do you differ strongly or fall somewhere in between types? How do you deal with the logical/reasoning people in your life? What do you do to develop critical thinking skills? What do you do to develop the innate skills/qualities if they are latent?

I fit the MBTI profile pretty much to a T. Even the part of wondering whether or not I really am an INFP. Its really some of the other stereotypes that I don't fit. I don't have long hair, am not musically inclined, just a little vain about my appearance, and I am most certainly NOT A DAMN SISSY. That last one probably agitates me the most, if you couldn't tell.

kiddykat

movin melodies
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4, 7

Do not be seduced!
True. That's why psychologists (and skeptics) often criticize the MBTI for its lack of consistency.

FYI, I took a class called Theories & Techniques In Counseling to supplement my master's degree.. my professor tells me community colleges/universites only use it as a test b/c it's cheaper/efficient to give. She says there are more accurate personality tests out there, but they're much more expensive..

So.. yah, take things with a grain of salt even what my prof said. I find MBTI interesting, because there are patterns/elements of a person's temperament that are so consistent all throughout their lives that I've observed, that don't change much, even if they try. That's why I'm somewhat fascinated by its concepts. Jung was brilliant. I guess it mostly applies to people who strongly identify with 'certain' types which makes the analysis a bit more accurate for them. In other words, it's fun to keep in mind. Just don't let it pigeon-hole oneself. Btw- Welcome Jane!

speculative

Feelin' FiNe
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
As ZOMBO says, "The only limit is yourself."

Discounting the MBTI without rigorous logical reasoning and research is just as intellectually defunct as taking it at face value without questioning it.

Just don't drink the MBTI Kool-Aid from either side of the table.

quietmusician

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
I too experience all ends of the spectrum. I just focus on who I am and that should lead me to where I need to be.