User Tag List

First 12341252 Last

`~~Philosoflying~~` SillySapienne's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Seanan View Post
    You have stated very well what its not intended for or whom I guess but what it is intended for escapes me... a bash fest? What?
    No, it is intended to be a place where a minority group of people can come together and share their thoughts without the buzz of the majority.
    `
    'Cause you can't handle me...

"A lie is a lie even if everyone believes it. The truth is the truth even if nobody believes it." - David Stevens

"That that is, is. That that is not, is not. Is that it? It is."

Veritatem dies aperit

Ride si sapis

Intelligentle sparkles

RDF

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainChick View Post
    I don't know.

It just kinda reminds me of the sad fact that most people don't really know how to think for themselves, or even how to think well for that matter.

Critical thinking is an important tool, and I fear that most people are either unfamiliar with how to use it, or simply, that they're without.

Thinking critically is perhaps one of those things I value most amongst humans, without it, we can be vicious beasts.
    Everyone has their blind spots, their nickel-and-dime rip-offs. Me included.

I'm an atheist, but it doesn't bug me that most of the world believes in a god of some sort. I can see how people can be good at critical thinking in all other areas of life but also be a little lazy on the one subject of religion and close their eyes and make the leap of faith. There are some key areas in life where I could certainly be more effective but choose not to. Like I say, I've got my own blind spots and nickel-and-dime rip-offs just like everyone else.

My wife is a believer. It doesn't get in our way at all. We just leave that one area alone and don't bug each other about it. And in all other ways and matters my wife is pretty level-headed and on the money. Her religious beliefs don't seem to taint her thinking abilities outside of the purely religious sphere.

Even when people take a political stance based on religious views, that doesn't bug me. They probably would take that same stance even without the religion. Their religious views often reflect their personal views as much as vice versa. IOW, even when religious people really do hold ignorant views, I think the problem is lack of education rather than religion per se.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not going to be a contrarian and defend believers and religion in this thread. I enjoy a little god-bashing as much as the next atheist. I just figured I would pick up on the issue of religion vs. critical thinking, lay down one good post of my own on the subject for the record, and then drop it.

Other than that, I'll be interested in seeing how this thread goes, IOW, whether the believers can refrain from putting in their two cents, etc.

And I agree with you that atheism isn't the same as nihilism. I'm not a nihilist.

Procrastinating
    MBTI
    INTJ

No, it is intended for a minority group of people to be able to come together and be the majority.
    I don't know what the boundaries are as far as the mods go. If I say something out of line, feel free to delete or tell me to. That said:

I still don't get it. You just want to discuss a myopic viewpoint with others who share it? You've already stated something I find quite offensive and wouldn't waste my time on but I would waste it on a premise being... "I'm going to state exactly what I think of you and you're not allowed to respond... that's the law I'm laying down for this thread as it's creator." I appreciate wanting comraderee with other like-minded people as long as its just that and not bashing others you've prohibited from speaking.

MBTI
    INTj

It all comes down to reasoning; how someone arrives at their conclusion.

I respect only those atheists who are atheists for similar, if not the same reasons as me.
    Just for fun. . . why don't you go ahead and explain why your atheistic conclusions are reasonable and logical while those of theists are unreasonable and illogical.

Thanks in advance.
    "The only time I'm wrong is when I'm questioning myself."
    Haight

I don't know what the boundaries are as far as the mods go. If I say something out of line, feel free to delete or tell me to. That said:

I still don't get it. You just want to discuss a myopic viewpoint with others who share it? You've already stated something I find quite offensive and wouldn't waste my time on but I would waste it on a premise being... "I'm going to state exactly what I think of you and you're not allowed to respond... that's the law I'm laying down for this thread as it's creator." I appreciate wanting comraderee with other like-minded people as long as its just that and not bashing others you've prohibited from speaking.
    It's been done before.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    I'd request again for positive anecdotes of spiritual nature, and to keep the debate away from whether or not they seem believable.

Their validity can be questioned in a different thread, if you'd like (and please feel free), but that's not the purpose of this thread.

`~~Philosoflying~~` SillySapienne's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

I know it is impossible to prove, or disprove the existence of god.

But I am not concerned with absolute proof, rather, I am concerned with discerning the most probable truth.

For me, I have always been interested in reality/truth.

The search for truth is a tedious one, especially since I know no final destination will ever be met, but getting as close to understanding it as I possibly can brings me much knowledge, and therefore satisfaction.

Nature doesn't deceive, it just is, however human beings love to lie. But a lie is a lie in that it is not the truth.

Lies are meant to conceal, honesty is meant to reveal.

Those who claim to have the answers scare the bejeesus (sp?) out of me, whereas those who admittedly/openly define what they think they know, and why, along with what they know they don't know, and why, I happen to find reassuring and comforting.

I have always been a fan of logic, and am also a fan of the scientific method as being means to discern reality and probabilistic truths.

*And Haight, when I am feeling more sharp and motivated, I will provide you with my arguments against theism.
    `
    'Cause you can't handle me...

"A lie is a lie even if everyone believes it. The truth is the truth even if nobody believes it." - David Stevens

"That that is, is. That that is not, is not. Is that it? It is."

Veritatem dies aperit

Ride si sapis

Intelligentle sparkles

Procrastinating
    MBTI
    INTJ

Originally Posted by Jennifer
    I'd request again for positive anecdotes of spiritual nature, and to keep the debate away from whether or not they seem believable.

Their validity can be questioned in a different thread, if you'd like (and please feel free), but that's not the purpose of this thread.

I see only a slight similarity... this one is about not derailing the thread. It is not designed to prohibit others from defending against insulting negative comments about them as it pertains to their beliefs/opinions or how they arrived at them. I know when I see prejudice, its pretty repulsive. Its pretty negative. ... whereas Jennifer was asking for "positives" .. certainly not an attack on anyone.

MBTI
    ISTx

I have a crush on captainchick. Just thught I'd let that be known.

I see only a slight similarity... this one is about not derailing the thread. It is not designed to prohibit others from defending against insulting negative comments about them as it pertains to their beliefs/opinions or how they arrived at them. I know when I see prejudice, its pretty repulsive. Its pretty negative. ... whereas Jennifer was asking for "positives" .. certainly not an attack on anyone.
    Where's the prejudice? What's negative? Why is it that everyone around here can say what they do believe in but when we atheists say we don't believe in any of those things it's like we just pissed on the Queen's shoes?