User Tag List

  1. #59681
    FRACTALICIOUS phobik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    7,413
    To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, be nothing.
    ~ Elbert Hubbard

    Music provides one of the clearest examples of a much deeper relation between mathematics and human experience.

  2. #59682
    prima materia magpie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    3,676

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jscrothers View Post
    To expound, I'm actually serious about this. His job is to fucking educate students. That's, like, his one job. Tough titties if this particular class requires more work or a different approach to get material across.

    "Welp, fuck it; this is too hard and it's all your fault" is pretty much never acceptable in any job. I would never dream of pulling that shit on students. You have to work with what you have, and fuck you if you just refuse to do it.
    Are you a teacher, jscrothers?

  3. #59683
    Google "chemtrails" Bush Did 9/11's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    MBTI
    iNxx
    Enneagram
    9w8 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILI Ni
    Posts
    4,288

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hel View Post
    Are you a teacher, jscrothers?
    Among other things, yup. I teach at the grad level.

    It's amazing what passes for the bare minimum. "So I'd say that I got a lot out of Statics from Dr. Presson. Oh man, there were a few class sessions where he actually lectured instead of snorting cocaine in the auditorium and ranting about how terrible the class is. You'll wanna take that guy for Statics. Dr. Hashim teaches that course, but he doesn't give assignments or do lectures or anything, he just gives everyone a D+ and goes home. I mean there's a lot less work involved with Hashim, but still."
    J. Scott Crothers
    aka "Bush Did 9/11"
    Founder, Truthtology, est. 1952
    Prophet and Channel, God Almighty
    Author, the Holy scripture Elevenetics

    "Just as jet fuel cannot melt steel beams, so too cannot the unshakeable pillars of Truthtology ever be shaken, whether by man, nature, or evidence."
    - Elevenetics
    Likes magpie liked this post

  4. #59684
    Google "chemtrails" Bush Did 9/11's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    MBTI
    iNxx
    Enneagram
    9w8 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILI Ni
    Posts
    4,288

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by uumlau View Post
    *sigh*

    I write long eloquent posts for people to consider thoughtfully, and get maybe a couple of likes. I write a short murderous quip on the Random Thought Thread, and get a bunch of likes in a couple of hours.

    Way to go at incentivizing, guys!

    If only the world were a meritocracy. (See my above post)
    J. Scott Crothers
    aka "Bush Did 9/11"
    Founder, Truthtology, est. 1952
    Prophet and Channel, God Almighty
    Author, the Holy scripture Elevenetics

    "Just as jet fuel cannot melt steel beams, so too cannot the unshakeable pillars of Truthtology ever be shaken, whether by man, nature, or evidence."
    - Elevenetics

  5. #59685
    corona Hawthorne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 so/sp
    Posts
    2,030

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by uumlau View Post
    *sigh*

    I write long eloquent posts for people to consider thoughtfully, and get maybe a couple of likes. I write a short murderous quip on the Random Thought Thread, and get a bunch of likes in a couple of hours.

    Way to go at incentivizing, guys!

    Wit and style have always been worth more than substance. But I respect your determination to take the road less traveled.

  6. #59686
    prima materia magpie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    3,676

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jscrothers View Post
    Among other things, yup. I teach at the grad level.

    It's amazing what passes for the bare minimum. "So I'd say that I got a lot out of Statics from Dr. Presson. Oh man, there were a few class sessions where he actually lectured instead of snorting cocaine in the auditorium and ranting about how terrible the class is. You'll wanna take that guy for Statics. Dr. Hashim teaches that course, but he doesn't give assignments or do lectures or anything, he just gives everyone a D+ and goes home. I mean there's a lot less work involved with Hashim, but still."
    I always have tons of questions in classes (maybe too many? I can't help it, I just think of things) and there are always teachers who get angry or try to ignore me. And then there are teachers who just answer my questions.

  7. #59687
    Mutable Confusion Forever's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Enneagram
    4dw sx/so
    Posts
    7,682

    Default

    So blessed.

    Edit to add:
    I am dripping in Finesse.
    Likes Dyslexxie, Masokissed, uumlau, /DG/ liked this post

  8. #59688
    Google "chemtrails" Bush Did 9/11's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    MBTI
    iNxx
    Enneagram
    9w8 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILI Ni
    Posts
    4,288

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hel View Post
    I always have tons of questions in classes (maybe too many? I can't help it, I just think of things) and there are always teachers who get angry or try to ignore me. And then there are teachers who just answer my questions.
    Fuck the first kind of teacher. If a student had 'too many' questions, and/or if we went off on a tangent, I'd just invite them to make an appointment to discuss all of it. Win-win; class isn't completely derailed and the student gets their curiosity satisfied.
    J. Scott Crothers
    aka "Bush Did 9/11"
    Founder, Truthtology, est. 1952
    Prophet and Channel, God Almighty
    Author, the Holy scripture Elevenetics

    "Just as jet fuel cannot melt steel beams, so too cannot the unshakeable pillars of Truthtology ever be shaken, whether by man, nature, or evidence."
    - Elevenetics
    Likes Hard, magpie liked this post

  9. #59689
    Innovation Reigns Supreme Hard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 sp/so
    Socionics
    EIE Fe
    Posts
    8,094

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jscrothers View Post
    Fuck the first kind of teacher. If a student had 'too many' questions, and/or if we went off on a tangent, I'd just invite them to make an appointment to discuss all of it. Win-win; class isn't completely derailed and the student gets their curiosity satisfied.
    The problem/sad thing is a lot of students take that as an insult, or think "oh they just want me to shut up", when the majority of the time that isn't the case. Granted, I have used the "come to office hours" proposition to stop a student from asking valid, but off topic and annoyingly derailing questions. Though I'd still fairly discuss it in office hours with them if they came. I mean, it's my job to do that sort of thing so I am not going to shirk it unless it truly isn't relevant and distracts others.
    MBTI: ExxJ tetramer
    Functions: Fe > Te > Ni > Se > Si > Ti > Fi > Ne
    Enneagram: 1w2 - 3w4 - 6w5 (The Taskmaster) | sp/so
    Socionics: β-E dimer | -
    Big 5: slOaI
    Temperament: Choleric/Melancholic
    Alignment: Lawful Neutral
    External Perception: Nohari and Johari


  10. #59690
    prima materia magpie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    3,676

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jscrothers View Post
    Fuck the first kind of teacher. If a student had 'too many' questions, and/or if we went off on a tangent, I'd just invite them to make an appointment to discuss all of it. Win-win; class isn't completely derailed and the student gets their curiosity satisfied.
    Yeah, that counts as answering questions. Fortunately I go to an artsy fartsy school now so I've had teachers at my current school give me readings I can do on my own and stuff like that.

Similar Threads

  1. [SJ] SJ Random Thought Thread
    By Giggly in forum The SJ Guardhouse (ESFJ, ISFJ, ESTJ, ISTJ)
    Replies: 958
    Last Post: Yesterday, 02:28 PM
  2. [NT] Random thought thread (NT version)
    By yenom in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 157
    Last Post: 12-22-2017, 08:48 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO