User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    ENTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Capitu View Post

I want to go out tonight. I can't decide if I should invite a friend to go out or if I should attend a lecture, where I will definitely find interesting people to talk to. It's 3:00 pm and I still didn't make up my mind. Soon it will be too late to do either!
    Too late, but the following advice might help you next time you need to take a similar decision.

There are two types of information that must be taken into account: feelings and practical outcomes. I do not know your feelings so you will have to generate this information.

First, you need to forecast how you are going to feel in that situation. What will make you feel better? Mental imagery is a technique that will help you forecast what your feelings will be. Imagine yourself in both situations, and each time rate on a scale from 1 to 7 how happy you feel.

Second, you need to imagine the benefits you can get from each option. Going to the lecture will make you learn something new and help you meet new people. On the other hand, being with your friend might help solidify your friendship if you haven't seen the friend in a while.

As a general rule, I would recommend attending the lecture. You can always invite your friend to go out another day when, on the other hand, if you don't attend to the lecture you will never be able to. However, if your rating for being with your friend is at least 2 points higher than your rating for being at the lecture, then I would suggest meeting up with your friend instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Maverick View Post
    Too late, but the following advice might help you next time you need to take a similar decision.

There are two types of information that must be taken into account: feelings and practical outcomes. I do not know your feelings so you will have to generate this information.

First, you need to forecast how you are going to feel in that situation. What will make you feel better? Mental imagery is a technique that will help you forecast what your feelings will be. Imagine yourself in both situations, and each time rate on a scale from 1 to 7 how happy you feel.

Second, you need to imagine the benefits you can get from each option. Going to the lecture will make you learn something new and help you meet new people. On the other hand, being with your friend might help solidify your friendship if you haven't seen the friend in a while.

As a general rule, I would recommend attending the lecture. You can always invite your friend to go out another day when, on the other hand, if you don't attend to the lecture you will never be able to. However, if your rating for being with your friend is at least 2 points higher than your rating for being at the lecture, then I would suggest meeting up with your friend instead.
    Thank you!

MBTI
    INFJ

Here's one for you Maverick-

What diet would you recommend for someone who has difficulty exercising, but wants to lose a significant amount of weigh rapidly?

Atkin's is worrysome because it seems that it can adversely effect the kidneys, liver, and heart; South Beach seems a weaker sort of Atkin's; fasting is out of the question; and the USDA recommendations are out because they include milk and way too many starches.

I'm not saying that these diets are what you must choose from amongst-if you have other reccomendations I am willing and eager to hear them.

Also, would you recommend the use of appetite suppressants?
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
    -- Unknown

RDF

Quote Originally Posted by Crabapple View Post

What diet would you recommend for someone who has difficulty exercising, but wants to lose a significant amount of weigh rapidly?

Atkin's is worrysome because it seems that it can adversely effect the kidneys, liver, and heart; South Beach seems a weaker sort of Atkin's; fasting is out of the question; and the USDA recommendations are out because they include milk and way too many starches.

I'm not saying that these diets are what you must choose from amongst-if you have other reccomendations I am willing and eager to hear them.

If you want extensive information on this subject, the June 2007 edition of "Consumer Reports" magazine has a section rating all the main diets. For example, it takes the top 8 diet books (South Beach, Sonoma Diet, etc.) and rates them in terms of nutrition & calories, pros and cons, ease of use, etc. Then it does the same for the top 8 diet plans (Jenny Craig, Weight Watchers, Atkins, etc.) including weight loss and drop out rates for the average participant. It also has some articles on esoteric diets. It also has a section on how the different diet pills work and their success rates.

It has quite extensive info, and it gives thumbs up on a couple diet books and plans while trashing others. I could summarize, but there's a lot of info in there and you have some special requirements. You should still be able to buy the magazine in the stores. The June edition hit the streets about two weeks ago and should still be obtainable at larger newsstands or in supermarkets for another week or two. Or you can find it at the library or go to the CR website.

FL

MBTI
    ENTJ

I would recommend not following anyone of those diets or taking additional products without being followed by an expert because they may otherwise negatively affect your health in ways that are unclear.

I would suggest taking an appointment with a a nutrionist. The nutrionist will be able to analyze your eating habits and propose you a diet that is adapted to your needs and tastes. You will know what's correct and incorrect in your eating habits and what type of food you need to eat for the next weeks to arrive at your objective. The advantage of this method is that you will not be following a generic diet but will have one custom made just for you.

In order to keep your motivation constant, seeing that you are J, I would suggest that you outlie a plan with expected weight losses at the end of each week until your final objective. Then, only measure your weight at the end of each week. This will ensure that you feel progress and keep motivated to go on. If you measure your weight to often, you may become frustrated because you will have a perception of slower weight loss.

MBTI
    ENfP
    Enneagram
    8w9 sx/sp

eat less and get full on water, fruits, and vegetables. eat as little meat as possible. eat foods that contain iodine (seaweed is one), because that makes your metabolism faster.

get used to eating less and less each day. if you don't exercise much anyways, you don't need much fuel.
    sparkly sparkly rainbow excretions

Quote Originally Posted by ThatGirl View Post
    holy shit am I a feeler?
    if you like my avatar, it's because i took it myself! : D

MBTI
    ENfP
    Enneagram
    8w9 sx/sp

What should I think about as motivation tomorrow for my track meet? (One event only- 400m bantam girls).
    sparkly sparkly rainbow excretions

Quote Originally Posted by ThatGirl View Post
    holy shit am I a feeler?
    if you like my avatar, it's because i took it myself! : D

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by niffer View Post
    What should I think about as motivation tomorrow for my track meet? (One event only- 400m bantam girls).
    when you finish high school, the opportunity to congregate in such great numbers drops off like like a school bus.

plus--- that shit's fun. i used to haul ass in my varsity track days
    Last edited by disregard; 05-10-2007 at 02:47 PM.

MBTI
    INFJ

Maverick, you Rock!
    Thank you for lending me your Te.
    I was way too close to the problem to see it clearly.

Quote Originally Posted by Niffer
    eat less and get full on water, fruits, and vegetables. eat as little meat as possible. eat foods that contain iodine (seaweed is one), because that makes your metabolism faster.

get used to eating less and less each day. if you don't exercise much anyways, you don't need much fuel.
    Well, I think that's generally good advice, Niffer....But eat less??? I know I need to do that, it's just the how. If I could simply do that, it would solve so many problems. I have a slow metabolism, an abnormally low caloric need, and the appetite of a viking...or a bear. Yeah, a bear emerging from its winter hibernation. It wasn't a problem when I was younger and more active.

I do appreciate the tip about iodine. Anything that quickens my metabolism will be a help. Ummm...what does seaweed taste like? I think I can get some in Chinatown.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
    -- Unknown

MBTI
    INFP

"Ummm...what does seaweed taste like? I think I can get some in Chinatown."

do.. try miso soup and eat yer heart out