User Tag List

First 678910 Last

Thread: Accents

Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    I don't much sound like a Brumy, if that is what you mean! I grew up in a place equalidistant to all three locations you just mentioned. I have a rather hard "a" vowl. When I go for a picnic I sit on my ass in the grass, not my with my arse in the grarss.
    Tamworth/Ashby DLZ area then?

Not your aass then? Cos there's that weird area where the boundaries of "arse" and "aass" cross over, though nobody in England really says "ass" unless they're aping American pronunciation. I mean Scousers sit their arses on the grass, Mancunians sit their aaass on the grass, Londoners put their arse on the grarse (lol), Somerset people put their aass on the graass and Lincolnshire's just a law unto itself.

By "aass" I mean the "aa" to be like the a in cat, but longer, with a hard 'ss' sound. How English people say cat, obviously, not Americans.
    I'm male and over 30, FYI.
    Preferences: 20% Extravert, 98% Intuitive, 68% Thinker, 17% Perceiving

MBTI
    INxP
    Enneagram
    5w6

Quote Originally Posted by stalemate View Post
    How YOU doin?
    Lmfao! I think the proper response is, "HOWDY!"
    "People in glass houses shouldn't use Windex when living near bird sanctuaries."- myself

"We are never alone my friend. We are constantly in the company of victories, losses, strengths and weaknesses. Make no mistake, life is war...and war is hell. Those who fight the hardest will suffer the most...but that's what you have to do: Fight. As long as you're feeling pain, then there's hope...because only the dead do not suffer." -RD Metcalf
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    ESFJ

I have some of my Philadelphian accent still around, but most Philadelphians don't guess I am from there. I no longer say "wooder" or "bee-add"
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

From the Undertow CuriousFeeling's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfJ
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    EII

Mine sounds like a mix of Manhattan NYC accent along with upstate NY country girl.

Something along these lines: "Going to wawk the dawg and get some cawfee, wawtch the Tee-Vee. Whut're yew doin'? I'm listening to a really kewl sawng right now."
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Johari/Nohari

“Thoughts are the shadows of our feelings -- always darker, emptier and simpler.”
    ― Friedrich Nietzsche

failure to thrive AphroditeGoneAwry's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    451 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFj Ni

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    *now knows how spamtar picks up chicks*

Totally, omg!

Like, how do you think he chooses which one to use on which chick?
    Ni/Ti/Fe/Si
    4w5 5w4 1w9
    ~Torah observant, Christ inspired~
    Life Path 11

The more one loves God, the more it is that having nothing in the world means everything, and the less one loves God, the more it is that having everything in the world means nothing.

Do not resist an evil person, but to him who strikes you on the one cheek, offer also the other. ~Matthew 5:39

songofmary.wordpress.com

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix_400 View Post
    Lmfao! I think the proper response is, "HOWDY!"

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by aphrodite-gone-awry View Post
    Totally, omg!

Like, how do you think he chooses which one to use on which chick?
    *pictures spamtar scoping out a chick and scanning through his various accents to find the most suitable one*

“Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

failure to thrive AphroditeGoneAwry's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    451 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFj Ni

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    *pictures spamtar scoping out a chick and scanning through his various accents to find the most suitable one*

Yes, I can totally see him at least thinking about it and wanting to do it, or even trying it for a second to break the ice. We've totally got his number.
    Ni/Ti/Fe/Si
    4w5 5w4 1w9
    ~Torah observant, Christ inspired~
    Life Path 11

The more one loves God, the more it is that having nothing in the world means everything, and the less one loves God, the more it is that having everything in the world means nothing.

Do not resist an evil person, but to him who strikes you on the one cheek, offer also the other. ~Matthew 5:39

songofmary.wordpress.com

Senior Member compulsiverambler's Avatar
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by shortnsweet View Post
    I have no outstanding accent unless I'm extremely tired or drunk, and my jaw goes all lazy on me and I revert to this weird Maine/Boston accent where R's literally drop out of my vocabulary and I sound mentally disabled. I also tend to talk like a stoner in this case on top of it all. It always starts with a simple word and I'll say, "That's queah." (Instead of queer) or "Weahd" and all my friends start to say, "Oh geez, you gotta get to bed."
    Rs are harder to pronounce than most English consonants, I think, it's quite a common one to have a speech impediment with.

I'm incapable of making an R sound immediately before another consonant because my own accent is non-rhotic, which means we only pronounce them just before vowels. I can't pronounce the R in 'cart' or 'farm' properly, it sounds like I've had to force it out with great effort.

Something I find interesting is that Americans sound like they have to force out unflapped Ts in words like 'stutter' when they attempt a British accent. Just like my problem, they can kind of do it but it sounds awkward and disfluent somehow, even though the same sound in any other position is no trouble at all.

I suppose it's the specific change from one tongue position into the other that the brain hasn't learned to do in these situations, even though each tongue position itself is easy.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by aphrodite-gone-awry View Post
    Yes, I can totally see him at least thinking about it and wanting to do it, or even trying it for a second to break the ice. We've totally got his number.
    *is from this point on going to wonder if dudes speaking with accents are actually spamtar ... which isn't a bad thing*
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett