User Tag List

First 1234513 Last

Results 21 to 30 of 143

Thread: Accents

  1. #21
    Boldly Gone Malice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    MBTI
    ESFJ
    Enneagram
    2W3
    Socionics
    EII
    Posts
    739

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Arclight View Post
    LOL yes .. its called the Southern Ontario accent.. I can spot it from a mile away.
    Lmao! Hope that's not a bad thing?
    a little less conversation, a little more action please
    . captain's blog.

  2. #22
    likes this gromit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    6,608

    Default

    I'm from the Boston area but I don't drop the Rs. Americans from other parts of the country say I sound like an East Coaster, though. It must be the vowels...?
    Your kisses, sweeter than honey. But guess what, so is my money.

  3. #23
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Posts
    3,278

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Malice View Post
    Lmao! Hope that's not a bad thing?
    Naw.. Just the friendly Montreal Toronto rival kind of thing..
    Growing up we would always spot the visiting Torontonians and tease them.
    something like .. Hey It's captain Ontario!!
    But then I moved to Ontario myself and now sometimes I hear me say certain words and think.. damn!..

  4. #24
    Boldly Gone Malice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    MBTI
    ESFJ
    Enneagram
    2W3
    Socionics
    EII
    Posts
    739

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Arclight View Post
    Naw.. Just the friendly Montreal Toronto rival kind of thing..
    Growing up we would always spot the visiting Torontonians and tease them.
    something like .. Hey It's captain Ontario!!
    But then I moved to Ontario myself and now sometimes I hear me say certain words and think.. damn!..
    Aw. Welcome to the dark side then.
    a little less conversation, a little more action please
    . captain's blog.

  5. #25

    Default

    I've got a New Zealand accent. It isn't very strong now I have been living in Japan so long. I say some words with a slight Japanese accent which amuses people back in NZ.

  6. #26
    Supreme High Commander Andy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6
    Posts
    1,100

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Southern Kross View Post
    When I travelled, mine (New Zealand) was very often the butt of the joke. Admittedly, it is a very strange accent. Many people complimented me on my good English and others asked me what language they speak in NZ.

    Also, people that speak English as a second language find it especially difficult. My Brazilian friend told me that it is the most difficult naturalised English accent to understand that he had ever heard. It probably doesn't help that NZers tend to speak very quickly...
    Foriegners never understand my midlands accent. Actually, most native speakers don't undrstand me either. In fact it's probably just me they don't understand, rather than the accent.

  7. #27
    Senior Member proximo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    584

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    Foriegners never understand my midlands accent. Actually, most native speakers don't undrstand me either. In fact it's probably just me they don't understand, rather than the accent.
    Is that English Midlands? Birmingham, Leicester sorta thing? Funny how Nottingham's classed as midlands, but the accent there's totally different...
    I'm male and over 30, FYI.
    Preferences: 20% Extravert, 98% Intuitive, 68% Thinker, 17% Perceiving

  8. #28
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Posts
    3,278

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by proximo View Post
    Is that English Midlands? Birmingham, Leicester sorta thing? Funny how Nottingham's classed as midlands, but the accent there's totally different...
    I lived in "Lesta" for 6 years. Birmingham and Leicester accents are totally different as well.. It's crazy fascinating how a city 25 miles away is a whole different world in that country.

  9. #29
    Senior Member proximo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    584

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Arclight View Post
    I lived in "Lesta" for 6 years. Birmingham and Leicester accents are totally different as well.. It's crazy fascinating how a city 25 miles away is a whole different world in that country.
    Not really... there are currently 4 living, spoken native languages in the UK, as well as 30 dialects and 300 accents, all on that one little island. They have to be tightly packed in to all fit
    I'm male and over 30, FYI.
    Preferences: 20% Extravert, 98% Intuitive, 68% Thinker, 17% Perceiving

  10. #30
    Oberon
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by compulsiverambler View Post
    Mine's known as the Estuary accent because it originated around the Thames estuary. Now it's spread across the South East. It's basically something between Received Pronunciation and cockney...
    So do you sound like the Geico gecko?


Similar Threads

  1. Do you find regional accents more trust worthy than elite accents?
    By Lark in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 09-16-2011, 12:22 PM
  2. Accents good and bad
    By indy in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-18-2011, 11:41 PM
  3. Pretty cool article on accents
    By prplchknz in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-10-2010, 07:57 PM
  4. Ethnic Studies Banned as Treason, No Accents Allowed -
    By CzeCze in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 194
    Last Post: 06-11-2010, 05:04 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts