User Tag List

Thread: Concentration

MBTI
    ISTP

Default Concentration

Hi, does anyone else find it annoying/distracting when you're focusing on something (ex: reading a newspaper, manuvering tight traffic, washing the car) and someone insists on having maintaining a conversation with you?

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

yes... though I'll usually just quit the reading or whatever and converse most of the time... if it's something like home repairs or driving in bad traffic though I tend to ask them to please shut up
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

Phantonym

Yes. I might listen to them or I might tell them to come back to me later.

But I also find it annoying when I insist on maintaining a conversation with somebody reading something and they just pretend to listen.

Banned
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

Times like these are an excellent opportunity to use your manners.
    A simple " I know you are reading, but would you mind giving me your attention for a few minutes?" can make all the difference between me being accommodating or pissed off.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    3w4?

I rarely got the chance to, and eventually didn't WANT to, talk to other people for most of my life until the last decade or so. As such, I think this's probably a large reason behind the problems I have with verbal speech - my brain just doesn't handle processing it very naturally.

As such, I can multi-task a thousand things at once, but as soon as I have to open my mouth or listen to someone else, everything falls.

Due to this problem, I do not appreciate being talked to when trying to do something where timing is relevant. Playing a game, driving, or anything that I can't just set on pause or set down for a moment gets on my nerves to great extent, because my concentration is totaled as soon as my brain tries to process verbal speech into something coherent for me to understand. I just daze out and loose track of everything I was working on.

This used to be far more noticeable a few years ago, before I worked at a call center, a few people who had heard me speak had commented that they were surprised at how... forced and awkward it sounded, like someone who was speaking a second or third language XD

Since then it's gotten alot better, but I've noticed I do tend to pause every few words to try to keep my thoughts organized, and rarely manage to speak a full sentence without pausing in the middle of it, usually several times.

So yeah, when people try to talk to me when driving or playing a game or anything else that I can't just set down, I am not amused, and usually become highly irritated.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Katsuni View Post
    I rarely got the chance to, and eventually didn't WANT to, talk to other people for most of my life until the last decade or so. As such, I think this's probably a large reason behind the problems I have with verbal speech - my brain just doesn't handle processing it very naturally.

As such, I can multi-task a thousand things at once, but as soon as I have to open my mouth or listen to someone else, everything falls.

Due to this problem, I do not appreciate being talked to when trying to do something where timing is relevant. Playing a game, driving, or anything that I can't just set on pause or set down for a moment gets on my nerves to great extent, because my concentration is totaled as soon as my brain tries to process verbal speech into something coherent for me to understand. I just daze out and loose track of everything I was working on.

This used to be far more noticeable a few years ago, before I worked at a call center, a few people who had heard me speak had commented that they were surprised at how... forced and awkward it sounded, like someone who was speaking a second or third language XD

Since then it's gotten alot better, but I've noticed I do tend to pause every few words to try to keep my thoughts organized, and rarely manage to speak a full sentence without pausing in the middle of it, usually several times.

So yeah, when people try to talk to me when driving or playing a game or anything else that I can't just set down, I am not amused, and usually become highly irritated.
    Well, we can speak the words or the words can speak us.

When we speak the words, we need to control them, we need to be in control, we need to concentrate, we need to concentrate on what we are saying. I am the master of my words, my words certainly not the master of me!

On the other hand, when the words speak us, the words control us. This can be frightening if we don't go with the flow. And when words control us, we don't know what we will say next and everything comes as a surprise. But if we go with the flow, life becomes a surprise party.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Rainne View Post
    Hi, does anyone else find it annoying/distracting when you're focusing on something (ex: reading a newspaper, manuvering tight traffic, washing the car) and someone insists on having maintaining a conversation with you?
    I only get annoyed if they get annoyed with me for not immediately dropping whatever I'm doing to engage them and/or they just keep talking and interrupting even if they become aware they're catching me at a bad time.

If it's something more than a quick comment or request from them, I've learned to ask them if I can have another minute or two to finish things up and get back to them.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    6w5

I usually can't do a good job at both, so usually distracting (sometimes they stop speaking and I realize I haven't been paying any attention). Whether I get annoyed depends on how important the conversation and my prior task are. Most of the time it's not a big deal. Sometimes I'll tell people we need to talk about it later.
    i just want to be a sweetheart

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Rainne View Post
    No actually I don't mind talking to people while I'm doing something else. I always have my ear piece on in the lab and even when I'm riding my motorcycle or driving... It doesn't really make a difference to me I don't typically get distracted easily.