User Tag List

View Poll Results: Would you steal the medicine or not? (read post)

Voters
23. You may not vote on this poll
  • No, as it would be completely illogical.

10 43.48%
  • Yes, as value my spouse over logic.

13 56.52%
  • I'm not sure, it's too hard of a decision to make.

0 0%
First 345

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by heart View Post
    ^^ Do most people, thinkers or feelers do anything this serious without question, planning and deliberation? I mean people over 18.
    I find most people don't think things out, especially in cases like this. Certainly strange to me.

I probably would not steal it in the first example, I wouldn't even hesitate in the second.

The first situation requires a good game theory calculation: chance of being caught, effect if I (we) were, chance of drug being a success, etc. The second doesn't, as there is no equivalence between life that I value and profit for someone else.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9 sp/sx
    Socionics
    LIE

Quote Originally Posted by ptgatsby View Post
    I find most people don't think things out, especially in cases like this. Certainly strange to me.

I probably would not steal it in the first example, I wouldn't even hesitate in the second.

The first situation requires a good game theory calculation: chance of being caught, effect if I (we) were, chance of drug being a success, etc. The second doesn't, as there is no equivalence between life that I value and profit for someone else.
    yeah......what you said
    I N V I C T U S

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

hmmm...what a hard question. i'm not really in favor of hurting others to serve myself....but i understand the desire to do anything necessary to protect someone you love. i guess if i could convince myself that the original person who made the medicine would figure out how to duplicate it then i would do it.
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Antisocial one View Post
    I don't want to be mean NT but what guarantees do you have that some medication in some lab will actually do the trick?
    That was my first thought. I'm not qualified to prescribe medication and don't actually understand the process for how it works, so how would I verify that it would be a success? My first impulse would be to not steal the medication until I had more information. It is hard to know for certain what the scenario would look like from within that context. The degree of uncertainty in stealing the medication seems rather high to me. There is uncertainty whether or not I would be successful acquiring it, and then there is the uncertainty as to my ability to administer it correctly, and finally uncertainty in how to verify if it would actually work (this question is alluded to when it is said the medication is going to be subjected to more testing).

If there is a procedure in place to develop the medication, increase its production and administer it, then the primary uncertainty in this scenario is whether or not my loved one would live long enough to see that day. There is more certainty *if* they did survive to that point that the medication would be effective, but also unlikely they could reach that point. I think I might wait but do everything in my power to keep them alive until that point. I wouldn't see this scenario as binary. I would exhaust every possible alternative first. If it really was binary, then my choice to steal the medication would be based on the assumption that the likelihood of success reasonably outweighed the risk.

Quote Originally Posted by heart View Post
    Edit: Somone's post here gave me an image of this hysterical person, tears in their eyes just busting through a window and stealing the meds in a blind rush while the store alarms are blaring and they're being filmed--- Is this what you people think feeling as a preference really means?
    edit: While I haven't been in this particular scenario, I have cared for loved ones with serious illnesses and was responsible to respond when they couldn't breathe and such things. As a feeler or whatever, i have not ever gotten all frenzied and emotional, but really tough and focused during the crises. I schedule my emotional meltdowns for when they aren't going to affect the situation negatively and come back ready to face another day. You can call it T or F with understanding and control of internal dynamics, but when the chips are down, myself as an "F" solves the problem at hand with calm and focus (at least in the scenario I have faced). When you care with your whole self, then the smaller issue of emotional response is insignificant in the face of crisis.
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)

I would steal it, of course.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ????

This depends if I liked my spouse or not. If I hated him and was going to divorce him, hey, it's a free method of seperation!

But this is probably all under the assumption that he and I do actually like each other. I would not steal the medicine, because I am going to think of the another person. They must feel just how I feel about not only their husbands, but also wives, childrens, grandparents, etc etc. I won't sacrafice the life of all for one. But, I could probalby find a way to twist this story completely out of context. But again, I am going by the assumption this is to be taken as directly as possible.