• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

OMG - This Description Is Right On

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Si as a Hidden Agenda, AKA the tertiary in the INTP and INFP : mbti

I'll copy/paste the parts I identify with here:

“To be healthy” does not mean what it means to those that are consciously aware of this desire in themselves. “To be healthy” is characterized by a warped, uneven, inconsistent interpretation of what this means and how to achieve it. A common characteristic of lower level Si is a poor body image or disconnect with bodily perceptions. There is often over-compensation in all matters related to this function as well. The first aspect that we can consider here is that HA Si looks to others to model and imitate other’s behavior and appearance to a certain degree, but just can’t. INxPs are often slight in build do to their Si, yet feel inadequate and desire to bulk up by exercising and lifting weights. The problem is that they are horrified by the prospect of stepping into the foreign land of the gym, exposing themselves and their body to the on-look of others more developed in this sense. This hits them in several ways from an Si perspective. First there is the body issue, then there is doing it in an unfamiliar environment, then there is the difficulty of building and sticking to a routine. An INxP is more likely to buy some dumb-bells from a self-checkout line and find a work-out routine from YouTube videos and do it in the privacy of their own home, until they give up a few weeks later.

In the matter of appearance, there is this odd contradiction here as both types are fiercely independent when it comes to their dominant Ti or Fi, yet desire to blend in and assimilate in certain sensory respects after perhaps a period of failing at pulling off standing out in appearance. They may act like a chameleon when it comes to appearance, mimicking the way others dress, maybe trying to be a little more put together than quite a few other types. It is as if they are hyper-conscious of dressing appropriately for the role they are entering. Developed tertiary Si types would be mortified by wearing sweat pants in public or a short-sleeve button-up shirt with a tie, as they were once told that it makes them look like Dwight Shrute. Under-developed types may not have this awareness, but I think that is more the domain of ENxPs. Maybe it is a strict personal code that you never wear white socks with black shoes, because someone made fun of you for doing so once years ago. All of this is ultimately motivated by one’s inferior function.

I very much agree with the first paragraph, and it also describes an INFP friend I grew up with. The author of this is like a mind-reader. As for the second paragraph, I am self-conscious about how I dress in public.

Very nice website. I'll research it more later.

For years I was the geek kid that never had a grasp for fashion as dictated by the masses or individual tastes. As I grew into a teen I went from geek to freak and expressed my revulsion for cookie cutter life. Goose stepping in time with the other drones as they tried to impress one another with how similarly bland they were was a horrifying prospect for me. I wore biker jackets, combat boots, flannels, jeans that were more holes than jeans and sported mohawks, devil locks, and liberty spikes of varying colors. 80’s suburban punk scaring the yuppies with glee. Now? I dress sharply with a fairly expensive wardrobe because I don’t mind looking like ‘everyone else’ because I look nice and know without a doubt that I’m unique inside. Fuck whether anyone else knows. If they get to know me they’ll find out.

I’m not sure I have a point beyond I’ve always worn what I’ve felt comfortable with (and in) and it always reflects my feelings about expression. Trying to be what you aren’t is the most uncomfortable I’ve ever felt (and it’s exhausting), far more than I have just flowing with the water instead of fighting it and being what I am.

Typh0n

clever fool
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
For years I was the geek kid that never had a grasp for fashion as dictated by the masses or individual tastes. As I grew into a teen I went from geek to freak and expressed my revulsion for cookie cutter life. Goose stepping in time with the other drones as they tried to impress one another with how similarly bland they were was a horrifying prospect for me. I wore biker jackets, combat boots, flannels, jeans that were more holes than jeans and sported mohawks, devil locks, and liberty spikes of varying colors. 80’s suburban punk scaring the yuppies with glee. Now? I dress sharply with a fairly expensive wardrobe because I don’t mind looking like ‘everyone else’ because I look nice and know without a doubt that I’m unique inside. Fuck whether anyone else knows. If they get to know me they’ll find out.

I’m not sure I have a point beyond I’ve always worn what I’ve felt comfortable with (and in) and it always reflects my feelings about expression. Trying to be what you aren’t is the most uncomfortable I’ve ever felt (and it’s exhausting), far more than I have just flowing with the water instead of fighting it and being what I am.

Awesome. :happy0065:

hjgbujhghg

I am
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I relate to everything in the description expect the mirroring of others in the way I look.
I relate to the gym issue too well, I always feel so exposed when I go to the gym and I'm hyper self-aware of pontential looks from other people.

I also have very difficult relationship with my body and my body image is slightly disturbed as well. Even at my lowest weight, when everyone used to tell me that I'm too skinny and that should put on some weight I kept on feeling like I need to lose more. I never feel really comfortable with in my own skin and always feel like there's something about my looks that needs to be imrpoved.

I have obession with healthy food, diets and I've been trying really hard to live a healthy lifestyle, but I'm terrible at organizing my time. I also can't stick to exercise very long, I usually do it a few times then feel slightly better about myself and fall right back into being a lazy ass. I can watch my eating habits like crazy and have this sort of "healthy" time when I even force myself to exercise but still I end up drinking and smoking too many cigarettes a few days later. :cry:

CitizenErased

Clean Slate
First there is the body issue, then there is doing it in an unfamiliar environment, then there is the difficulty of building and sticking to a routine. An INxP is more likely to buy some dumb-bells from a self-checkout line and find a work-out routine from YouTube videos and do it in the privacy of their own home, until they give up a few weeks later.

Yup. Exactly right.

About the second paragraph, well... The last day I went to college I wore a thick black sweater with black shorts with black socks that had yellow/orange pineapple drawings on them. I just dress according to what each part of my body needs in terms of comfort. Sweat pants, unmatching socks and slip-on shoes are my kind of thing. If I have shirts/blouses, I sew the line of buttons so I can put them on as t-shirts. In public I'm more conscious about how I speak (not what I say), or faces I make. Clothes is just not my thing, I guess.

Polaris

AKA Nunki
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It sounds pretty generic, to be honest. Most people would rather lift weight at home than at a gym, some degree of poor body self-image is very common, and mimicking others' behaviors and appearances is part of existing as a social creature. Other parts of it have nothing to do with Si. Si is awareness of one's bodily sensations, not, for example, a personal code stipulating that one should never wear mismatched clothes.

Ghost

Megustalations
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Si is awareness of one's bodily sensations

That doesn't sound right. I'd say "awareness of one's bodily sensations" sounds pretty generic itself.

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I agree with Polaris. I even relate to the gym part (I feel watched) (which time and time again everyone is just too focused on themselves for you to worry unless you’re doing a YouTube video.)

Overly vague descriptions like astrology can make you think you’re every type.

EcK

The Memes Justify the End
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
I agree with Polaris. I even relate to the gym part (I feel watched) (which time and time again everyone is just too focused on themselves for you to worry unless you’re doing a YouTube video.)

Overly vague descriptions like astrology can make you think you’re every type.

Every f ing one feels watched at the gym

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It sounds pretty generic, to be honest. Most people would rather lift weight at home than at a gym, some degree of poor body self-image is very common, and mimicking others' behaviors and appearances is part of existing as a social creature. Other parts of it have nothing to do with Si. Si is awareness of one's bodily sensations, not, for example, a personal code stipulating that one should never wear mismatched clothes.

It sounds pretty specific to me, not generic at all.

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
The entire gym/health/fitness industry revolves around the fact that everyone is self conscious at the gym, can't stick to routine, etc. Unless 90% of the population are INPs I'd say that's a miss.

Tilt

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The entire gym/health/fitness industry revolves around the fact that everyone is self conscious at the gym, can't stick to routine, etc. Unless 90% of the population are INPs I'd say that's a miss.

Precisely. That industry relies on people's insecurities to motivate not unlike most other industries.

I work for a fitness company and the number one question always is "how do you motivate people to stay with the program and maintain long-term behavioral change?" The truth is most people succumb to their fleeting emotions.

Typh0n

clever fool
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Of course everyone is self-conscious at the gym, but maybe Se polrs more so? When I go to the gym, I am self-counscious but I admit not the point of it being inhibitive, either.

I agree that the description is flawed however, as it focuses on behavior, rather than cognition, and socionics is about pinpointing which cognitive process leads to what behavior, not the other way around.

Lucy_Ricardo

MBTI Type
INFP

^^^Retweet. In high school, I wanted to look different from everyone else because I feared others would mistake me for one of the bland sheep in the tasteless flock. I felt like I achieved this with holographic shoes, bleach-stained jeans, and a Gollum t-shirt (that I still have).

Now that I'm an adult, I dress business casual when I'm at work, with accessories that let a bit of weirdness peek out--bat wing earrings, a scarf with a map of Middle Earth, a gold hedgehog ring. I feel comfortable in my own strangeness--I don't feel the need to over-broadcast it.

I have a coworker who dresses like a Hot Topic ad, and she's always going on how about different and quirky she is. I laugh (inwardly, of course) because it comes off as desperation to be unique. She is chiefly occupied with showcasing her oddness, and she has to make sure everyone knows that she's wacky. It reminds me of me when I was fourteen.

As for the gym, everyone has body issues. Going to the gym is not only a physical exercise, but an exercise in courage. When I first started going, I felt embarrassed constantly. But as I continued to visit the gym, I grew to love it, and I stopped being self-conscious. But starting was definitely a major step outside my INFP comfort zone.

SD45T-2

Senior Jr.
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w2
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Every f ing one feels watched at the gym
Going in the middle of the night FTW. :D

I'm usually in the gym 6 nights a week (3 routines 2 times a week) SO THE JOKE'S ON THEM! :devil: And of course there's grip training at home so I can hang on to stuff at the gym. Captains of Crush! Crushed to Dust! :solidarity:

Now that I'm an adult, I dress business casual when I'm at work, with accessories that let a bit of weirdness peek out--bat wing earrings, a scarf with a map of Middle Earth, a gold hedgehog ring. I feel comfortable in my own strangeness--I don't feel the need to over-broadcast it.
I like the cut of your jib. :cheers:

I have a coworker who dresses like a Hot Topic ad, and she's always going on how about different and quirky she is. I laugh (inwardly, of course) because it comes off as desperation to be unique. She is chiefly occupied with showcasing her oddness, and she has to make sure everyone knows that she's wacky. It reminds me of me when I was fourteen.
This reminds me of the P. J. O'Rourke bit about an army of individualists milling around and checking with each other to make sure they are being individualistic enough. :newwink: