• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Do you develop your valued functions?

Red Memories

Haunted Echoes
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
With socionics there is two functions that you do poorly but value in other people. Considering you prefer these types, do you ever sort of stem off of them and develop the function in yourself more?

hjgbujhghg

I am
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I think it's possible to some degree but their strenght will still be limited compered to your actual dual. For example, I think that my mother is an ESI, but because she had to gain skills of effeciant work and organization some people might mistaken her for Te-ego type, but when you actually get to know here you always recongnize that even though she uses Te well, it's not her ego function. I think when one doesn't find their dual, the life simply forces them to learn how to deal with matters the dual would in an ideal situation.

Peter Deadpan

phallus impudicus
Yes, I do believe so. This is a huge thing with me actually, as I have a strong Fi and Ne that has been trying to compete in an auxiliary sort of way at times (I very frequently test as INFP). Unless I am TypoC's most mistyped member, it would appear that I have strengthened my less valued functions.

Red Memories

Haunted Echoes
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Thanks for the input. :)

So in essence to these answer, do you think the functionality is moreless a surface level pseudo-function that isn't natural but you can use on a small scale level?

Dr Mobius

Biting Shards
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The concise answer is no absolutely not. Functional development is a heretical concept in socionics. In brief intertype dynamics are based on strengths/weaknesses and how they affect those around us. If you lose a weakness then it disrupts the entire jenga tower. Growth is poison to socionics.

Zeego

Mind Wanderer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The concise answer is no absolutely not. Functional development is a heretical concept in socionics. In brief intertype dynamics are based on strengths/weaknesses and how they affect those around us. If you lose a weakness then it disrupts the entire jenga tower. Growth is poison to socionics.

Yes, a lot of people forget the context that Socionics was created in. The whole idea is that everyone has a set role in society that they must fulfill, regardless of personal growth. Whether or not one agrees with this idea, it was present in the original intent.

Typh0n

clever fool
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yes, a lot of people forget the context that Socionics was created in. The whole idea is that everyone has a set role in society that they must fulfill, regardless of personal growth. Whether or not one agrees with this idea, it was present in the original intent.

Yeah, I get this. It seems Russian socionists were deeply ingrained in collectivist thought (naturally) when coming up with socionics. The result is a vision where each person depends on others and needs others to make up for their weak areas. Highly incompatible with Western notions of self-develoment...

The collectivism of communism is something most people reject nowadays though, I would imagine this is true in former Soviet countries too. The question then becomes: is there any way to change this, or is it impossible to change due to inherent features in the design of the system?

I don't think it's impossible to change. Gulenko offered advice for personal growth to each of the 16 types in his descriptions. I personally think the original blueprint for socioncs, as develloped by Aushra Augusta was very much just an outline of what was to come. Her work may have had a very limited perspective on human beings, but later socionists like Gulenko seemed get past this. Still, I still pick up the static view of human beings as being just a machine from authors like Golihov.

It seems even Jung with his cognitive functions saw very little possibility in terms of growth from the use of his "system" (Jung's functions weren't really a system), which is unusual for Jung. It seems the design may go back further than Aushra and all the way back to Jung - who it seems did not intend knowledge of his functions to be used for personal growth. Note that I could be wrong about this with Jung, as I've not studied him in depth, though I never understood how he intended to use his functions for growth.

Enneagram for example is very different. It was introduced by Gurdjieff who believed man was basically a machine in his natural state, that everyone was born a machine. But, said Gurdjieff, one can devellop into what he called the "sly man" that escapes this machine-like state into a state of quasi-godhood. So basically, said Gurdjieff, you are born machine, and most of us will stay machine. However it was possible for the initiated to escape this state. The ennegram was a tool to aid this initiation, but it wasn't a personality system per se. The nine points were states you could be at any given moment. When the enneagram became a personality system it became mixed in with pseudo-eastern/New-agey theories about the ego being bad; for Gurdjieff a strong ego was an escape from the state of being a machine. The enneagram however, retained its use a tool for personal growth, though the teleoolgy behind said growth has been lost.

This long post is basically to say that I don't know. It seems socionics is not a hopeless cause, it can be salvaged, but I don't know if its as useful as enneagram in its current state.

I also want to say: socionics is only as useful as it can be used as a tool for personal growth. Anything else basically a machine assigning another machine tasks. Not everyone has (or even could) be into the individualism of Gurdjieff: but personality typing must be useful as a system for growth, empowerment, etc. It cannot simply describe your given circuitry and say "this is what you are classified as and there's nothing you can do about it". That would be rather pointless.

Zeego

Mind Wanderer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It cannot simply describe your given circuitry and say "this is what you are classified as and there's nothing you can do about it". That would be rather pointless.

For some reason I still see quite a few people who do this even within the MBTI community, let alone Socionics. I agree that Enneagram discourages this kind of thinking by default.

Typh0n

clever fool
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
For some reason I still see quite a few people who do this even within the MBTI community, let alone Socionics. I agree that Enneagram discourages this kind of thinking by default.

I'm just wondering if the reason is in the design of the system or if it can be changed. Personally, I do think it can be changed but it would require some reworking and until someone does that, we're stuck with people using MBTI and socionics in a limited and limiting way.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Yes, with cardio and weights. 3 days a week at the gym.

Peter Deadpan

phallus impudicus
Interesting thread, great info, slightly worried about [MENTION=19700]asynartetic[/MENTION].

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think it's possible to become more aware of those information elements after being around people in your quadra. Positive growth by being around people who are positive to you is a plus. I think that they can encourage you to share things that you wouldn't normally share for fear of judgment, and lets your less prominent information elements run free. I've definitely had very positive experiences with LIEs, ILIs, and to an extent IEIs, in this way.