• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What is the origin of the symbols?

Zeego

Mind Wanderer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Can someone please explain to me the origin of the :Ni:, :Fe:, etc. symbols and the reasoning behind them?

Sacrophagus

Mastermind Fieldmarshal
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Zeego is an INTP. Zeego has a lot of questions.

First, Zeego, what do you think symbols are used for?

Typh0n

clever fool
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think it was Victor Gulenko who explained them somewhere, but I can't find the reference just like that since it's been years since I've read it...

Anyways, Gulekno (or whoever it was) said that the square represents logic because logical thinking is kinda 'square', the circle for sensing because the circle represents our sphere of vision, and vision is one of the five senses, the "L" for ethics because it is the first letter of the word "love", and love is closely related to the ethical function, and the triangle for iNtuition...because the pyramids? I don't fully remember for the triangle but I think that's the gist of it.

Zeego

Mind Wanderer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Zeego is an INTP. Zeego has a lot of questions.

First, Zeego, what do you think symbols are used for?

They're used to refer to the information elements in Socionics. What I'm wondering is why those symbols came to be used in the first place.

Edit: Oh, I just realized you meant symbols in general. I suppose symbols are images used to visually represent an idea.

Zeego

Mind Wanderer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think it was Victor Gulenko who explained them somewhere, but I can't find the reference just like that since it's been years since I've read it...

Anyways, Gulekno (or whoever it was) said that the square represents logic because logical thinking is kinda 'square', the circle for sensing because the circle represents our sphere of vision, and vision is one of the five senses, the "L" for ethics because it is the first letter of the word "love", and love is closely related to the ethical function, and the triangle for iNtuition...because the pyramids? I don't fully remember for the triangle but I think that's the gist of it.

Ah thank you, I was not aware of this information. Did Gulenko invent the symbols or just explain them?