User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    INFJ

Default Beta NF vs Delta NF

What are the major differences between Beta NFs and Delta NFs?
    Likes Five to One liked this post

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w3 so/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Fe

I've struggled to define the difference between the two myself and I'll try to explain what I've learnt.

Beta NFs use Fe which gives them an access to emotional atmosphere of the surroundings, not only one is aware of how others around them feel, beta NFs can easily transform these feelings. Since Fe is mostly concerned with the positive aspects of feelings, they will try to eliminate negativism and gloom and change it to more light and pleasant atmosphere. Fe in combination with valued Se adds a special intensity to one's feelings and therefor expresion of these types can seem dramatic and theatrical, their feelings are very vibrant and present in a concrete enviroment. They value people who can express themselves openly and visibly, they like to laugh loud, talk loud and enjoy passion in their lives.
    Delta NFs on the other hand value Fi, feelings of these types are also very intense, but are rather kept inside or shared with selected individuals. Even though delta NFs are also very aware of the emotional atmosphere around them, they chose to rather concentrate on their own feelings or intimate relationship than on the feelings of the whole group. Deltas also value Si which adds an extra tenderness to their emotional life and forces them to seek harmony and peace rather than drama and fire.

Betas value Ni, that means evaluation of situation throughout time. They can easily spot trends and sequences that repeat themselves and calculate the most possible outcomes or future happenings. Ni works as a calculator of events. That makes them an excellent troubleshooters who can eliminate issues before they even happen. Ni however is a highly subjective introverted function and because it is a percieving function it gives them a special "outwordly" vibe. They do not see situations that happen around them, but live in their percieved visions of future as their brain automatically calculates effects of the present/past at the future. This is the reason why many poeople can see them as visionares and seers. Beta NFs however miss Te, wihich in socionics means valuation of productivity, work and quality of products. The groundings force of gamma quadra (Ni+Te) is missing in beta which makes beta NFs especially idealistic about the visions of their introverted preception. They can get easily lost in their dreams and ideas forgeting about actual activity in physical world. This is the reason why they are often called the most idealistic types of all. Along with low but valued Se they might waist time with meaningless activities and spontanues outbursts of energy followed by times of escapism and high introspection.Betas also value Ti. Ti works best in settled and organized system, they dislike chaos and anarchy and want to find structure and order where it misses.
    Delta NFs value Ne, in socionis that means an evaluation of all possibilities that might or might not take a place in a physical reality. Ne understands the Ni's calculation of events, but sees it as limited and onesided. Ne hates to be constrained with just one outcome, it seeks many different options. Stratiyevskaya (one of the socionics psychologist) described delta quadra as a complex of clipped wings, which perfectly describes delta's dislike for limitations. Extroverted intuition is not concerned with seeking one concrete answer, it loves to ask questions and blooms when it can analyze the new, unusual and orginal without limiting itself with one idea or opinion.
    Deltas are freespirited and open-minded people, but they value hard work and progress. They hate to waste their time feeling unproductive and lazy, they want concrete results in a concrete world, which means they are loyal and idealistic employees. Delta NFs also have low and unvalued Ti which means they can struggles with strict rules and organization. They feel at their best when they can work in open and creative environment.
    Likes berenj, kittenke liked this post

Enneagram
    N/A

I can easily see why people get confused between Beta and Delta NF. They will share similar values (both value self-discovery/expression and the human/societal condition in general). And they really can look similar in their mentalities.

I already like the post @Fay wrote, so I won't add anything to that in this post (maybe in another), but I really wanted to say that it's really easy to not fit into the delta/beta quadras as an NF.

For deltas, the focus is heavy on practicality/hard work ...BOTH of which I am bad at; so the focus is more on Delta ST values. However, there are descriptions that say that deltas (the NFs) care about their personal feelings about life and enjoy new experiences to help them grow as an individual and take on projects that excite them. So I identify as Delta NF because although I am not practical, it's fun to focus on personal projects that only help me in a subjective way.

Beta (ST) is about Hierarchy and social structure and working within those structures. I can't see how a Beta NF would relate to that (maybe it's because I am not a beta NF), but focusing on social order/rules doesn't seem to be something they're natural at. Fortunately, the description for Beta (NF) will make it much easier for them to see that they do belong to the Beta quadra because emotional expression is emphasized. Feeling doesn't exist for its own sake like it does for Delta NFs, feelings matter in a social context (stimulating others to "feel" along with you (EIE ...Oprah) or picking up on how everyone else is feeling and analyzing that (IEI). Wanting to be admired by the masses, making a "personal" statement or wanting to be a part of or start something that impacts those around you is very Beta NF. Feeling is focused on other people, even as it relates to the self... it's about an image in some cases.

Feeling for delta NF is independent of what's going on outside of them (they don't desire to be the in the spotlight/public eye/have an influence on the masses). Even if they do end up in the spotlight and end up a champion of values, they will do it stubbornly. Anger is a great sign that you've touched on a value that they won't budge on. They can appear uptight for that reason.

Feeling for beta NF is about influencing people's perceptions/outlook. They are good at rallying people to their cause and they easily get lost in the excitement of the feeling they've created (positive or negative). They know how people will react to them/their ideas/values and can use that knowledge flexibly.

They are similar in the sense that they have causes that matter to them and they spend their lives trying to do what is most meaningful for them. Both of them really aren't practical people, not naturally. Both are similar in the sense that they need to be stimulated or they get bored. Deltas are stimulated by Ne to chase after new experiences that life has to offer or new ways of understanding humanity. There is not a single "goal" to meet ...as Ne is all about seeking newness.

Betas are stimulated by Se. Se is about competition and pushing yourself hard to accomplish something ...so they will want to be the "best" or most influential and will tire themselves out acheiving their goals. Keep in mind that Se is lower in their stack (but still valued) ...so they can still appear lazy/lack focus ...but they still value pushing themselves to reach their goals and will compare themselves against a benchmark as they work.

As an EII myself, it's easy to see myself in both delta and beta NF ...but my distaste for competition is clear. Also, I don't care to "share" my passions with the world, I keep it to myself and only share it with select few who already feel the same or understand without me having to explain myself much.
    You are so arbitrary.
    Likes Dreamer liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by Thoughtlost
    Beta (ST) is about Hierarchy and social structure and working within those structures. I can't see how a Beta NF would relate to that (maybe it's because I am not a beta NF), but focusing on social order/rules doesn't seem to be something they're natural at.
    The beta NFs I have known are very into rules and order, especially those that prefer Fe over Ni.

Enneagram
    N/A

Quote Originally Posted by Typh0n View Post
    The beta NFs I have known are very into rules and order, especially those that prefer Fe over Ni.
    You know, when I made that post, I would have disagreed with you. But now, I see things differently. I do think that people with Fe care about social structure A LOT. More than I realized. Even the introverted ones are into it, they won't blindly adhere to it, but they'll recognize that a social structure exists and develop a world and self view in relation to that.
    You are so arbitrary.
    Likes chubber liked this post

MBTI
    INFJ
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

I don't think those types are similar at all, as they belong to opposite quadras. EIE, as a Beta extrovert type, can be much more harsher than any of the Delta NFs. Betas value VISIBLE, dynamic emotional expression - which is Fe in Socionics. To Deltas, this kind of expression may come across as vulgar/unpleasant, and they don't care as much about sharing their opinions with a group.
    Likes Typh0n liked this post

MBTI
    INTJ

If you want to understand the essence of Beta NF vs Delta NF, honestly, look at the images of the people who Filatova typed herself in-person. Then you might ask the question, does an MBTI type have anything to do with one's Socionics type?

When I look at these photos, I see one thing: Since humans live more in their minds than not, Xi is the default process, and Xe is a reaction to the outside. Look at these pictures of IEEs and EIEs: Jung called the extreme extrovert one detached from who he/she really is. For the Beta NF, that false self is the feeler, while the real self is the intuitive. Fe is the perk-up. And so for normal EIEs, thought always goes back to intuition, until the environment calls for Fe reaction. As someone rooted in intuition, an EIE must demonstrate their judgement strength once provoked by externals. That Fe is their survival reaction, else they will be left vulnerable.

IEEs by Filatova

EIEs by Filatova
    shhh
    Likes Avocado, Typh0n liked this post

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    ENFP Ne

This is interesting. I’ll think about it then get back with you.

Night and day, really.

Enneagram

I relate to both so maybe I'm an LII.

I have pretty bad Fi in that I don't care for relations with people as much as the ideas and emotions they give me, and that's what I give others. But my Fe is also pretty bad in that I am more in my head than expressing what others want, if anything the only thing Fe about me is my love for romanticism and drama, a more intuitive use of emotions rather than physical.

I am a joker at heart though. If that means anything.

Actually I'm pretty damn sure I'm an LII. Well that's what I always say. I always get a revelation that I'm that type but then I go back on it.