• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Ask me Socionics junk

Jeremy8419

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Part 1

Jeremy8419

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Part 2

Jeremy8419

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
[MENTION=8936]highlander[/MENTION] let me know if I need to remove any of these

The following is a list of resources on Socionics as well as their credibility towards mainstream Socionics

Recommended

Almost all good information.

Socionics - International Institute of Socionics : Website for the International Institute of Socionics. Lead by Bukalov. Currently the primary school for mainstream Socionics. Contains general Socionics information and several English publications.

https://www.researchgate.net/ : Website for researchers. Contains numerous socionics publications from leading socionists.

School of System Socionics : Website for System Socionics School. Lead by Yermak and Eligit. Takes practical approach to research. Conflicts with various other schools on polarity of elements. There is no universal approach to polarity of elements between socionists.

Questionable
Some good information. Some bad information.

the16types : Has many articles from reputable socionists. Only on this section due to forums and presence of non-socionist information on socionics.

Socionics - Encyclopedia Socionika : English website hosted from Russia. Contains minor errors. Not a great deal of breadth to some important parts of socionics.

http://www.wikisocion.org : Has many articles from reputable sources. Created primarily from Rick DeLong's website information; however, information written by Rick DeLong often conflicts with mainstream socionics, or purports personal conjectures not supported by mainstream Socionics. Contains many articles by western enthusiasts that contain personal conjecture, and these articles should be avoided.

Not Recommended
Mostly bad information and/or personal conjecture from non-socionists.

http://www.socionics.com : Based in London. Large supporter of V.I. in ways that conflict with mainstream Socionics. Large amounts of information that conflicts with mainstream socionics. Western popularization of minor parts of socionics and old conjectures not adopted by mainstream Socionics. Generally in conflict with all major schools of socionics.

http://www.sociotype.com : Socionics Applied : Based in Washington (the state), U.S.A. Large amounts of incorrect information. Large amounts of personal conjectures. Large amounts of information in contradiction of mainstream Socionics. Western popularization of information in conflict with mainstream socionics.

World Socionics Group (?) : Facebook group and subsequent websites and other groups by socionics enthusiasts. Large amounts of incorrect information, personal conjectures, information in direct contradiction with mainstream socionics. Majority of members appear to base Socionics knowledge on poor and/or western sources that are in conflict with mainstream socionics. Majority of members appear to simply J/P switch from MBTI as sole form of typing. Majority of information present is personal conjecture by people with views that are in conflict with mainstream socionics.

ZNP-TBA

Privileged Sh!tlord
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx
To be honest, I'm having a very hard time understanding all of this. I know MBTI and cognitive functions very well but not Socionics. Is there a more basic description somewhere?

I think this is what basically turns most people off from Socionics. It's these lengthy, verbose, old-school encyclopedia-like long winded explanations of everything. It's like nobody ever bothered to distill the information to make it palatable to the common layman just scoping out the theory. On top of that it assumes a lot of detailed information like a peer reviewed article in a scientific journal except without the peer-reviewing or science.

I'd venture to say MBTI and Enneagram are much simpler and easier to digest personality systems but still cover what's necessary in the realm of cognition.

I'm still exploring socionics but it's proving a bit annoying. I've asked some people knowledgeable in the field to explain certain things and I'm usually responded to with links to these really boring, long, over-abbreviated articles that extinguish my interest like a fat hooker lathered up in crisco.

I'd love to have a voice conversation with someone about socionics and hear how they interpreted int their own words versus linking me to yet more articles. :doh:

Jeremy8419

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I think this is what basically turns most people off from Socionics. It's these lengthy, verbose, old-school encyclopedia-like long winded explanations of everything. It's like nobody ever bothered to distill the information to make it palatable to the common layman just scoping out the theory. On top of that it assumes a lot of detailed information like a peer reviewed article in a scientific journal except without the peer-reviewing or science.

I'd venture to say MBTI and Enneagram are much simpler and easier to digest personality systems but still cover what's necessary in the realm of cognition.

I'm still exploring socionics but it's proving a bit annoying. I've asked some people knowledgeable in the field to explain certain things and I'm usually responded to with links to these really boring, long, over-abbreviated articles that extinguish my interest like a fat hooker lathered up in crisco.

I'd love to have a voice conversation with someone about socionics and hear how they interpreted int their own words versus linking me to yet more articles. :doh:

Well, I was supplying reason behind it lol. Short version: If you're stressed out regularly and test as ESFP, you're not going to be SEE when in an equilibrium state, which is your TIM. If you're unproductive and hide from society and test as ISTJ, you're not going to be LSI when operating in the socially productive state, which is your TIM's Ego.

Online you can type people via vibes or whatever and be accurate 100% on which element they are using, but if you don't know their emotional state in life nor how they interact with society, then you can't determine their Sociotype. Take you for example... You type as ENTP, but I don't know if you're productive and deal with society and are emotionally healthy, or if you never leave your room and are on the borderline of an emotional breakdown.

ZNP-TBA

Privileged Sh!tlord
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx
Well, I was supplying reason behind it lol. Short version: If you're stressed out regularly and test as ESFP, you're not going to be SEE when in an equilibrium state, which is your TIM. If you're unproductive and hide from society and test as ISTJ, you're not going to be LSI when operating in the socially productive state, which is your TIM's Ego.

TIM Ego? How is someone new to this stuff supposed to understand this 'short version?' Can you rephrase it in a way so almost anyone can understand without having to know these abbreviations or specific definitions?

I get what you're saying about taking tests in an emotional or stressed out state. In theory you could have two people of the same type test totally differently because one of them just won the lottery and the other just had his wife pass away. Chances are it's going to be different results. I think this is why getting the 'best answers' relies on asking the best questions. In some respects the question and how it's asked is much more significant than the answer they give.

I think a 1 on 1 'interview' in person is ideal. Also testing across different personality systems can help too because there are common characteristics between sociotypes, MBTI, enneagram, and even big 5.

Take you for example... You type as ENTP, but I don't know if you're productive and deal with society and are emotionally healthy, or if you never leave your room and are on the borderline of an emotional breakdown.

Ask

Jeremy8419

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
TIM Ego? How is someone new to this stuff supposed to understand this 'short version?' Can you rephrase it in a way so almost anyone can understand without having to know these abbreviations or specific definitions?

I get what you're saying about taking tests in an emotional or stressed out state. In theory you could have two people of the same type test totally differently because one of them just won the lottery and the other just had his wife pass away. Chances are it's going to be different results. I think this is why getting the 'best answers' relies on asking the best questions. In some respects the question and how it's asked is much more significant than the answer they give.

I think a 1 on 1 'interview' in person is ideal. Also testing across different personality systems can help too because there are common characteristics between sociotypes, MBTI, enneagram, and even big 5.

Ask

Sorry, lol. "TIM Ego" is your REAL type's best way of thinking for yourself and future partner. TIM stands for Type of Information Metabolism, which is synonymous with Sociotype. Ego is your first two Sociotype functions, Function 1 the Leading Function and Function 2 the Creative Function.

Yes. However, you run into a lot of dissension when people inevitably type themselves in the various systems in ways that are contradictory to these correlations between systems, which is a different matter altogether. Kiersey, for example, as well as some versions of the official MBTI, include a form of neuroticism/emotional stability as a 5th dichotomy. Big 5 also includes neuroticism. So, with these, you may see 4 partially correlating dichotomies (I say partially so I don't have to debate equivalence) to find the primary element the individual is operating in, as well as the emotional stability / neuroticism to attempt to place this element into the proper function (there are 8, they are "slots" of the psyche, similar to MBTI's "functional stack" spots) to attempt to determine the Sociotype. Similarly, Enneagram has 9 types, which also partially correlate to the 8 elements, and also includes another matrix: Instinctual Variants. One variant is focused on society, one on companionship, and one on self-preservation, which correlate with the first three blocks in the Sociotype Model (Model A).

But I don't wanna lol. Just go take global Sloan, tritype and instinctual, and 16personalities.com, and I'll "Ni" it lol.

ZNP-TBA

Privileged Sh!tlord
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx
[MENTION=27890]Jeremy8419[/MENTION]

I notice your sociotype EII and MBTI INFJ don't exactly correlate ( close enough I suppose). Wouldn't an EII translate roughly into an INFP in MBTI while an IEI would be closer to INFJ?

So the Ego is the top two functions, easy enough. ;)
But I don't wanna lol. Just go take global Sloan, tritype and instinctual, and 16personalities.com, and I'll "Ni" it lol.

Ni is a coin flip, either it offers unparalleled clarity or just more layers of bullshit to sift through. :wink:

Jeremy8419

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
[MENTION=27890]Jeremy8419[/MENTION]

I notice your sociotype EII and MBTI INFJ don't exactly correlate ( close enough I suppose). Wouldn't an EII translate roughly into an INFP in MBTI while an IEI would be closer to INFJ?

So the Ego is the top two functions, easy enough. ;)

Ni is a coin flip, either it offers unparalleled clarity or just more layers of bullshit to sift through. :wink:

No, that is incorrect. I assess as INFJ, and I type as EII. The two models do not reference the same things. MBTI tells you how you currently are, Socionics tells you how you currently are in relationship to the current situation. Unless you add a dimension to MBTI, you can't translate into Socionics.

Well, you either want me to or don't. Up to you.

ZNP-TBA

Privileged Sh!tlord
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx
Socionics tells you how you currently are in relationship to the current situation

By this reasoning your sociotype should constantly change relative to the situation changing so it wouldn't be a particularly useful measure of an individual over time since it's validity is limited to current time.

Unless you add a dimension to MBTI, you can't translate into Socionics.

?

Well, you either want me to or don't. Up to you.

I'll have to big 5 it again but you have all my other info <------ to the left.

Jeremy8419

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
By this reasoning your sociotype should constantly change relative to the situation changing so it wouldn't be a particularly useful measure of an individual over time since it's validity is limited to current time.
Time Parameter in Socionics is considered 4-Dimensional. A 4-Dimensional Logical System requires 4-Dimensional Introverted Thinking. 4-Dimensional Introverted Thinking in Society is LSI for creation of a distinct and concrete system. Socionics is ILE system, which is 3-Dimensional Introverted Thinking. People changing over the course of their life isn't part of Socionics' nor MBTI's systems, as the system has no internal systems in place for such. Yermak (a lead Socionist) has hypothesized changing over time, but, as an LII (4D social introverted thinking, but weakest social "concrete" and "distinct"), didn't determine a concrete system for such. Interestingly enough, no major socionists identify as LSI. My personal theory for such is that an LSI's 4D system would basically turn it all into, "that's just life. Grow up, go to school, get married, have kids, get old, die. Do this or you're broken." Which probably isn't something most people interested in typology want to hear lol.

Neuroticism/emotional stability, or relationship to society.

I'll have to big 5 it again but you have all my other info <------ to the left.
Tritype? Secondary instinctual variant?

ZNP-TBA

Privileged Sh!tlord
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx
Time Parameter in Socionics is considered 4-Dimensional. A 4-Dimensional Logical System requires 4-Dimensional Introverted Thinking. 4-Dimensional Introverted Thinking in Society is LSI for creation of a distinct and concrete system. Socionics is ILE system, which is 3-Dimensional Introverted Thinking. People changing over the course of their life isn't part of Socionics' nor MBTI's systems, as the system has no internal systems in place for such. Yermak (a lead Socionist) has hypothesized changing over time, but, as an LII (4D social introverted thinking, but weakest social "concrete" and "distinct"), didn't determine a concrete system for such. Interestingly enough, no major socionists identify as LSI. My personal theory for such is that an LSI's 4D system would basically turn it all into, "that's just life. Grow up, go to school, get married, have kids, get old, die. Do this or you're broken." Which probably isn't something most people interested in typology want to hear lol.

Please reconfigure this statement into something that makes sense. :wink:

Neuroticism/emotional stability, or relationship to society.

I don't see how MBTI would address these issues. It seems that enneagram is better equipped for these questions. I see MBTI as a blue print for how a building should stand but not as an accurate measure how it fairs in a natural disaster like an earthquake or an alien invasion. :shock:

Tritype? Secondary instinctual variant?

738 , I think so as a secondary.

Jeremy8419

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Please reconfigure this statement into something that makes sense. :wink:
Socionics claims type doesn't change over time, so considering time after already dismissing it, makes Socionics not applicable to the changes people go through over time. A famous socionist had a hypothesis on how to include time, but didn't turn it into a formal theory. MBTI just shrugs its shoulders and acts confused when you ask why people type differently over time.

I don't see how MBTI would address these issues. It seems that enneagram is better equipped for these questions. I see MBTI as a blue print for how a building should stand but not as an accurate measure how it fairs in a natural disaster like an earthquake or an alien invasion. :shock:
MBTI Type II or Type III assessment (I forget which) includes emotional stability, so it can give a good general direction towards Socionics Type. Kiersey Temperament Sorter has emotional stability as well.

738 , I think so as a secondary.
K, lemme know when you get your Big 5 or SLOAN.

ZNP-TBA

Privileged Sh!tlord
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx
Socionics claims type doesn't change over time, so considering time after already dismissing it, makes Socionics not applicable to the changes people go through over time.

Maybe I'm just having trouble understanding the Ni brain but earlier you said:

Socionics tells you how you currently are in relationship to the current situation.

Current is a reference to time is it not? This can be interpreted as socionics tells you how you are in the here and now which implies type is dependent on time. Maybe you want to rephrase?

MBTI Type II or Type III assessment (I forget which) includes emotional stability, so it can give a good general direction towards Socionics Type. Kiersey Temperament Sorter has emotional stability as well.

I don't know how standardized definitions of cognitive functions can tell you how emotionally stable you are or will be in the same way specs to a car design can't predict how many car accidents will happen to you in the future.

K, lemme know when you get your Big 5 or SLOAN.

When I get some time I'll take it

ZNP-TBA

Privileged Sh!tlord
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx
So I guess 1-100 percentile is low to high

Openness: 70
Conscientiousness: 31
Extraversion: 69
Agreeableness: 50
Neuroticism: 11

Jeremy8419

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Maybe I'm just having trouble understanding the Ni brain but earlier you said:

Socionics tells you how you currently are in relationship to the current situation.

Current is a reference to time is it not? This can be interpreted as socionics tells you how you are in the here and now which implies type is dependent on time. Maybe you want to rephrase?
It is me agreeing with you that it's an inherent flaw or incompletion. Time exists. People change. Socionics says they don't. Socionics says it's own system doesn't track changes over time. So what you type as now in relation to various situations has no bearing on what you will type as in the future in relation to various situations. To have a system standardized around showing the changes over time, you would need a Point A and a Point B in time, globally applicable, which you standardize the system around; e.g., tracking personality changes of an individual from birth to marriage, birth of first child, death, or something of the sort.

I don't know how standardized definitions of cognitive functions can tell you how emotionally stable you are or will be in the same way specs to a car design can't predict how many car accidents will happen to you in the future.
Your emotional stability in those is measured separately; e.g., you can be an ENTP-A (stable) or ENTP-T (unstable). Within Socionics, you have positions (situations) of stability and volitily. As an example, if put into a situation of needing to behave as an SLE, I will cause emotionally instability. If I am put into a situation of being emotionally expressive such as the natural state of EIE in society, then it will cause lethargy akin to stable, low energy usage (I'll get sleepy). Etc.

When I get some time I'll take it[/QUOTE]

Jeremy8419

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
So I guess 1-100 percentile is low to high

Openness: 70
Conscientiousness: 31
Extraversion: 69
Agreeableness: 50
Neuroticism: 11

Nuts to the 50 Agreeableness lol.

/shakes magic eight ball

LIE.

Jeremy8419

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Feel free to write stuff.

I have always thought that MBTi and cognitive functions provides a solid understanding of the dynamics behind how an individual "thinks" meaning how they perceive and how they make judgments. A lot of the descriptions focus too much on behavior but type isn't a great predictor of behavior. On a practical basis, the way I use it is to try and understand how a person might think vs. predicting how they might act.

I don't consider them to be a formalized system, rather vague and non-discrete and abstract concepts that have far more loose and personal interpretations than anything regarding matrices or criterion. I consider it more like a hypothesis, or idea of a hypothesis, than anything similar to a theory. When one formulates a system based upon ideas, which are immaterial, they have no true substance nor form and can be infinitely reformed into other ideas, similar or not. My personal opinion of MBTI functions is that they exist so people can have a means to alter and refute their assessed MBTI type when they disagree with the norms behind them. Assessment was created based on dichotomies, stereotypes of behaviors based on assessment determined, thought processes stereotypes determined and people queried for verification, and functional stackings aligned to them. These are norms of society for behaviors versus thoughts that created this. If someone doesn't fall into both, they are outside of the norms of society for behavior versus cognition. If you have the norms, then you can develop a central mean within each of the subsets (functions) and develop discrete definitions, criterion, and matrices for such to assess directly by cognition instead of behavior. This, imo, wasn't done, because only a very small minority of the population didn't fall into the original norms of behaviors versus cognition to even necessitate development of a cognitive function theory to any significant detail, and, more importantly, the minority still wouldn't match up with norms on the level deeper.

"how an individual "thinks" meaning how they perceive and how they make judgments"
This is what I was referring to with socionics and mbti previously. People perceive and make judgments differently in different situations. Most people have a "work persona," "socializing persona," "family persona," "leisure persona," etc. These are different personas for different situations, which Socionics attempts to address, but MBTI does not. I can test a guy at work and he will get one MBTI type, and I can test the same guy at home and he will have a different MBTI type. There is no "situation" recognized in MBTI to apply "real persona" to.

Jeremy8419

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
[MENTION=8936]highlander[/MENTION] let me know if this works and helps

Overview

Socionics is a personality type system which displays an individual’s type of information metabolism (TIM), also known as Socionics Type or Sociotype. The basic model, Model A, arranges the psyche into eight different parts, called “functions,” which are ordered positions of the psyche. Within each of these functions is placed one of eight “information elements,” arranged by a predetermined ruleset for positioning. The information elements represent the division of aspects of the world, people, and their behaviors into eight different parts. By placing the information elements in the correct order through the functions of Model A, an individual may see not only how they currently operate, but how they would currently operate in various life situations, and how they may best operate currently.

Functions Overview

1. Leading Function: Primary lens through which the individual views the world around them. Contains the clearest and most detailed view of the world around them. All new information from the world is filtered first through the Leading, and returns through the Leading as well.

2. Creative Function: Primary means through which the individual connects the world around them to their own worldview. Is not constantly used in a direct manner. Directly creates new information in society.

3. Role Function: Primary social mask when interacting with the world around them. Although not a goal of the individual in society, it is maintained to assist the individual in completing their Leading purpose in society.

4. Vulnerable Function: Primary restricted element when interacting with the world around them. Contains known neuroses and fears when dealing with society. On/Off manner of operation; low ability to filter when used. Known repression in favor of Leading in society.

5. Suggestive Function: Primary request of what the individual wants from society. Individual will regularly be “suggested” to do this, automatically comply, and not be consciously aware of such at the immediate time, but may become aware later. Usable indefinitely.

6. Mobilizing Function: Primary means of energizing the individual to increased activity of the psyche. Is requested, sought, and accepted intermittently as individual sees necessary.

7. Ignoring Function: Primary observation of the individual. Repressed for the individual personally in favor of the Leading, causing the individual to be more critical of this in others, but largely ignoring their own. When used directly, perceived by society as an individual strength.

8. Demonstrative Function: Primary automation and “background” function of the individual. Seat of the gateway to formless unconscious mind of the individual. “Demonstrated” when necessary to display the full strength of the culmination of the individual’s life experiences.

Blocks and Superblocks

These functions are grouped into pairs or “blocks,” which add further distinction between the functions, determine Quadra, and help in identification.

Ego Block: Combined pair of Leading (1) and Creative (2) functions. Block of Social Intelligence. Strong block when acting with the world around them. State of equilibrium of state and productivity of the psyche. Primary “product” of the psyche to society. Values these information elements.

Super-Ego Block: Combined pair of Role (3) and Vulnerable (4) functions. Block of Social Control. Weak block when acting with the world around them. State of stress and necessities when dealing with society out of self-preservation. Devalues these information elements.

Super-Id Block: Combined pair of the Suggestive (5) and Mobilizing (6) functions. Block of Individual Control. Weak block of individuality. State of amusement and pleasure when doing, receiving, or observing information on this block that is aligned with individuality. Values these information elements.

Id Block: Combined pair of Ignoring (7) and Demonstrative (8) functions. Block of Individual Tools. Strong block of individuality. State of apathy, boredom, and lethargy when dealing with information on this block from society. Culmination of strength of the individual. Devalues these information elements.

The blocks are further grouped into “superblocks” composed of two blocks each, which separate the social from the personal.

Mental Superblock: Combined pair of Ego Block and Super-Ego Block (Functions 1-4). Social Life Superblock. Superblock of Conscious thought and effort. Utilized when encountering new information in society before permanent integration into Vital Superblock.

Vital Superblock: Combined pair of Super-Id Block and Id Block (functions 5-8). Personal Life Superblock. Superblock of Preconscious automation. Superblock of Individuality and Experience accrued over one’s life. Integrates information from Social Life Superblock into Individuality for automatic processes.

Elements Overview

Te: (also called Work, Work Logic, Praxis, Objective Objects) Deals with work, movement, practical logic, algorithmic logic, objective qualities of objects

Fe: (also called Emotions, Ethics of Emotions, Objective Emotions/Energy) Deals with emotional displays, expressiveness, objective qualities of emotions and energy

Se: (also called Force, Force Sensing, Volitional Sensing, Boundaries/Bounds, Objective Sensing) Deals with force, power, territory, boundary, objective qualities of force, boundary, territory

Ne: (also called Intuition, Possibilities, Intuition of Possibilities, Objective Intuition) Deals with possibilities and potentials present, the “essence” determined by such, alternatives

Ti: (also called Laws, Structural Logic, Relations of Objects, Relational Logic, Subjective Logic) Deals with structure, comparisons of objects, organization, ordering, formal logic, subjective logic

Fi: (also called Relationships, Relations of Energy, Ethics of Relations, Relational Emotions, Subjective Emotions) Deals with interpersonal relationships, comparisons of emotions, comparisons of energy states, subjective ethics

Si: (also called Sensations, Sensational Sensing, Relations of Forces, Subjective Sensing) Deals with relationships and comparisons between forces and boundaries, aesthetics formed by comparative boundaries of parts, subjective sensing

Ni: (also called Time, Temporal Intuition, Events, Relations of Possibilities, Subjective Intuition) Deals with relationships and comparisons of events and possibilities, events taken place, probabilities, subjective intuition

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
[MENTION=8936]highlander[/MENTION] let me know if this works and helps

Overview

Socionics is a personality type system which displays an individual’s type of information metabolism (TIM), also known as Socionics Type or Sociotype. The basic model, Model A, arranges the psyche into eight different parts, called “functions,” which are ordered positions of the psyche. Within each of these functions is placed one of eight “information elements,” arranged by a predetermined ruleset for positioning. The information elements represent the division of aspects of the world, people, and their behaviors into eight different parts. By placing the information elements in the correct order through the functions of Model A, an individual may see not only how they currently operate, but how they would currently operate in various life situations, and how they may best operate currently.

Functions Overview

1. Leading Function: Primary lens through which the individual views the world around them. Contains the clearest and most detailed view of the world around them. All new information from the world is filtered first through the Leading, and returns through the Leading as well.

2. Creative Function: Primary means through which the individual connects the world around them to their own worldview. Is not constantly used in a direct manner. Directly creates new information in society.

3. Role Function: Primary social mask when interacting with the world around them. Although not a goal of the individual in society, it is maintained to assist the individual in completing their Leading purpose in society.

4. Vulnerable Function: Primary restricted element when interacting with the world around them. Contains known neuroses and fears when dealing with society. On/Off manner of operation; low ability to filter when used. Known repression in favor of Leading in society.

5. Suggestive Function: Primary request of what the individual wants from society. Individual will regularly be “suggested” to do this, automatically comply, and not be consciously aware of such at the immediate time, but may become aware later. Usable indefinitely.

6. Mobilizing Function: Primary means of energizing the individual to increased activity of the psyche. Is requested, sought, and accepted intermittently as individual sees necessary.

7. Ignoring Function: Primary observation of the individual. Repressed for the individual personally in favor of the Leading, causing the individual to be more critical of this in others, but largely ignoring their own. When used directly, perceived by society as an individual strength.

8. Demonstrative Function: Primary automation and “background” function of the individual. Seat of the gateway to formless unconscious mind of the individual. “Demonstrated” when necessary to display the full strength of the culmination of the individual’s life experiences.

Blocks and Superblocks

These functions are grouped into pairs or “blocks,” which add further distinction between the functions, determine Quadra, and help in identification.

Ego Block: Combined pair of Leading (1) and Creative (2) functions. Block of Social Intelligence. Strong block when acting with the world around them. State of equilibrium of state and productivity of the psyche. Primary “product” of the psyche to society. Values these information elements.

Super-Ego Block: Combined pair of Role (3) and Vulnerable (4) functions. Block of Social Control. Weak block when acting with the world around them. State of stress and necessities when dealing with society out of self-preservation. Devalues these information elements.

Super-Id Block: Combined pair of the Suggestive (5) and Mobilizing (6) functions. Block of Individual Control. Weak block of individuality. State of amusement and pleasure when doing, receiving, or observing information on this block that is aligned with individuality. Values these information elements.

Id Block: Combined pair of Ignoring (7) and Demonstrative (8) functions. Block of Individual Tools. Strong block of individuality. State of apathy, boredom, and lethargy when dealing with information on this block from society. Culmination of strength of the individual. Devalues these information elements.

The blocks are further grouped into “superblocks” composed of two blocks each, which separate the social from the personal.

Mental Superblock: Combined pair of Ego Block and Super-Ego Block (Functions 1-4). Social Life Superblock. Superblock of Conscious thought and effort. Utilized when encountering new information in society before permanent integration into Vital Superblock.

Vital Superblock: Combined pair of Super-Id Block and Id Block (functions 5-8). Personal Life Superblock. Superblock of Preconscious automation. Superblock of Individuality and Experience accrued over one’s life. Integrates information from Social Life Superblock into Individuality for automatic processes.

Elements Overview

Te: (also called Work, Work Logic, Praxis, Objective Objects) Deals with work, movement, practical logic, algorithmic logic, objective qualities of objects

Fe: (also called Emotions, Ethics of Emotions, Objective Emotions/Energy) Deals with emotional displays, expressiveness, objective qualities of emotions and energy

Se: (also called Force, Force Sensing, Volitional Sensing, Boundaries/Bounds, Objective Sensing) Deals with force, power, territory, boundary, objective qualities of force, boundary, territory

Ne: (also called Intuition, Possibilities, Intuition of Possibilities, Objective Intuition) Deals with possibilities and potentials present, the “essence” determined by such, alternatives

Ti: (also called Laws, Structural Logic, Relations of Objects, Relational Logic, Subjective Logic) Deals with structure, comparisons of objects, organization, ordering, formal logic, subjective logic

Fi: (also called Relationships, Relations of Energy, Ethics of Relations, Relational Emotions, Subjective Emotions) Deals with interpersonal relationships, comparisons of emotions, comparisons of energy states, subjective ethics

Si: (also called Sensations, Sensational Sensing, Relations of Forces, Subjective Sensing) Deals with relationships and comparisons between forces and boundaries, aesthetics formed by comparative boundaries of parts, subjective sensing

Ni: (also called Time, Temporal Intuition, Events, Relations of Possibilities, Subjective Intuition) Deals with relationships and comparisons of events and possibilities, events taken place, probabilities, subjective intuition

Thank you that helps. I need to spend more time reviewing (at concert right now). The thing is it seems rather foreign at the moment. I think if there was a way to bridge traditional cognitive functions with socionics it would be most helpful to many of us.