• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

SEE who can't stand ILIs - Duality is a sham?

strychnine

All Natural! All Good!
I'm an SEE who not only can't stand my supposed dual ILI, but also can't relate at all to descriptions of what our relationship is supposed to be like.

I find ILIs insufferably stuffy, arrogant, stuck in their heads, and locked into their worldviews. I'm supposed to show them the world, while they go around treating the world like they're too good for it. Yuck. I'm supposed to draw them out of their heads and make them experience stuff? I'm supposed to push them into action? I spend all day inactive, lol! Except for going to work and stuff obviously. Other than that, I hardly leave the house, as I'm not a social extravert. (But I am a cognitive extravert.) So I'm in no position to drag an ILI into action, or into whatever social even he'd want to attend. I really don't know what ILIs like to do, although I guess that would depend upon the ILI as with any other type. Everyone has different interests and preferences anyway. I'm also supposed to be an "aggressor" in sexual activities but frankly couldn't care less about sex, and would not be someone to initiate let alone aggress on that. I literally won't even think of it unless it's brought up by someone else, or by the romance styles description I just read.

Anyway, I really can't see myself in a relationship with an ILI. At least not a long-lived or happy one.

What do you think? Does duality really work? Because it just sounds like bullshit.

Betty Blue

Let me count the ways
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7W6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Do you see any of the romance styles working for you? Do you agree with the SEE description for you? Possibilities include; maybe diff quadra, maybe just not had much interaction with ILI's, maybe just an individual who gets on with other types better :smile:

Sometimes systems just don't work for individuals. :smile:

strychnine

All Natural! All Good!
Do you see any of the romance styles working for you?

No, none of them work.

Do you agree with the SEE description for you?

Never read it as I don't use descriptions to type. I use the IEs (or functions on the MBTI side of things).

Possibilities include; maybe diff quadra, maybe just not had much interaction with ILI's, maybe just an individual who gets on with other types better :smile:

Sometimes systems just don't work for individuals. :smile:

Yeah, one of those is likely it.

But still. Most of the time if you say you don't get along with your dual, people will tell you you're mistyped. I'm pretty sure I'm SEE so I'm criticizing the system based on that :)

sulfit

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
What do you think? Does duality really work? Because it just sounds like bullshit.
It works but many idealize it, representing it as a paradise-like relationship where everything is ideal.

This is inaccurate, because dual relationships are not only a union of the opposites but also a struggle between them. It's not uncommon to have a love-hate relationship with your dual-seeking function, which is leading function of your dual. Without this struggle the relationship loses its energy, spark, and interest (which is what happens in illusionary relations, they fizzle out).

SHS - Relations Between Duals are Dialectic

Viktor Gulenko. If duals have united into one pair, tell us, is this a consonant or a dissonant union?
Audience: Dissonant from which point of view?
V.G. From point of view of relations between them. Is it easy for them to merge into one? Is such synthesis easy?
Audience: It's not easy for them to come together, but after it's difficult to separate them ... [inaudible conversation].
V.G. This is right. This means that the nature of dual relations is an antithetic synthesis i.e. synthesis of the opposites that struggle with one another but then unite: this is called unity and conflict of the opposites. This is the formula of what kind of thinking?
Audience: Dialectic thinking.
V.G. This is it, relations between duals are dialectic, they both love and hate each other. This is unavoidable. Dual relations are synthesis of the opposites. This struggle is unavoidable.
Is there any way to get rid of these painful contradictions between duals, in principle?
Audience: Um, may be, perhaps, likely not ...
V.G. In principle it's impossible. It's possible to smooth them out, by correct distribution of roles in dual pair for example, but it's impossible to remove them. This, precisely, is life; these contradictions give dual relations a special tint, without it they would have been boring. Periodically contradictions arise, they get resolved, come up, get resolved, come up, get resolved again - this is dialectical contradictory synthesis. Considering that this is the union and the struggle of the opposites, duals often come together over conflict. At first, they fight one another, raise scandals, sort out relations, then suddenly they feel a pull towards each other. This is how it happens, such is nature.

Thus, it is not possible to use formal logic to understand dual relations. They can only be understood through dialectic logic that understands that even if they are fighting they are still one whole. Only this kind of logic is able to explain these relations. Someone might say: "We have total harmony. We don't have any disagreements. There is nothing to smooth out." I don't believe it, because I know that dual relations have to go through these intensifications. Without them, you will get bored by one another. Without this there is no raisin, no spice, it would be uninteresting. This would have been static relations, while dual relations are introverted, that is closed-off autonomous relations, but also dynamic relations that are always changing.

I'm supposed to show them the world, while they go around treating the world like they're too good for it. Yuck. I'm supposed to draw them out of their heads and make them experience stuff? I'm supposed to push them into action? I spend all day inactive, lol! Except for going to work and stuff obviously. Other than that, I hardly leave the house, as I'm not a social extravert. (But I am a cognitive extravert.) So I'm in no position to drag an ILI into action, or into whatever social even he'd want to attend.
These are SEE stereotypes that confuse cognition for behavior. SEEs have high awareness of their environment from what I have observed (from a safe distance), not necessarily going out every evening or traveling about the world. You already show your duals "the world" by sitting in the same room with them and commenting on the interior. There is a SEE woman in my work group. She is a techie, very serious, and studious. Based on superficial type stereotypes I wouldn't have thought her as SEE. That she is my "cognitive" conflictor became clear only when we started working together.

But still. Most of the time if you say you don't get along with your dual, people will tell you you're mistyped. I'm pretty sure I'm SEE so I'm criticizing the system based on that :)
It's happened before, that's why it's a suggestion. I have an ILE friend who insists on typing himself as EIE. He says that socionics duality is unimpressive to him (of course, he is trying to date his supervisees! the LSIs) and is in process of reinventing it from scratch. If little of socionics works for you, take into consideration that you may be mistyped.

strychnine

All Natural! All Good!
It works but many idealize it, representing it as a paradise-like relationship where everything is ideal.

This is inaccurate, because dual relationships are not only a union of the opposites but also a struggle between them. It's not uncommon to have a love-hate relationship with your dual-seeking function, which is leading function of your dual. Without this struggle the relationship loses its energy, spark, and interest (which is what happens in illusionary relations, they fizzle out).

Admittedly most of my annoyance is at the idealization.

SHS - Relations Between Duals are Dialectic

I've read this exact interview many times and TBH I still don't know WTF he's saying. It just sounds like a used car salesman trying to sell a lemon.

You already show your duals "the world" by sitting in the same room with them and commenting on the interior.

That sound really boring, no offense. Commenting on the interior? Why would I comment on plainly obvious things in front of my face? :D

There is a SEE woman in my work group. She is a techie, very serious, and studious. Based on superficial type stereotypes I wouldn't have thought her as SEE. That she is my "cognitive" conflictor became clear only when we started working together.

She sounds badass. Haha. Is it difficult to work with your conflictor? Did you work out how to work together without, er, conflicting too much?

It's happened before, that's why it's a suggestion. I have an ILE friend who insists on typing himself as EIE. He says that socionics duality is unimpressive to him (of course, he is trying to date his supervisees! the LSIs) and is in process of reinventing it from scratch. If little of socionics works for you, take into consideration that you may be mistyped.

I've seen that particular mistype happen a lot for some reason (ILE mistypes as EIE). I think there is some kind of overidentification with the hidden agenda problem.

Anyway, yeah, I see that point. I could be mistyped. But to be fair, little of type theory as a whole works for me. I've read countless different authors and Jung himself and I still fundamentally relate to all of the IEs and functions. I see myself in all of them. :happy2:

And then on the other side you have the romance styles where I don't relate to any of them and am honestly flabbergasted that people even think like that at all.

So no matter what type I am, I'm still going to relate heavily to other types and not relate to things I'm "supposed" to relate to ... so in essence I'm always going to seem mistyped.

edit

Basically what I want in a relationship is like someone to cook food for me, clean the house, all of that boring stuff. Like a maid/cook in one. Except in a relationship, so I don't have to pay them. Somehow, I really, really doubt an ILI would be that person for me.​

Hawthorne

corona
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
edit

Basically what I want in a relationship is like someone to cook food for me, clean the house, all of that boring stuff. Like a maid/cook in one. Except in a relationship, so I don't have to pay them. Somehow, I really, really doubt an ILI would be that person for me.

this sounds like you value :Si: even if it's...in a some kind of way.

strychnine

All Natural! All Good!

So... Se valuers don't need to eat? ;)

I really doubt I value Si. Couldn't care less about comfort or whatever lol. It's boring/pointless. I just need a maid and cook.

Betty Blue

Let me count the ways
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7W6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

Though tbh I have known ILI's to say they would happily stay at home and play house if their partner earned a higher wage than them. It's not unchartered territory.

sulfit

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Admittedly most of my annoyance is at the idealization.
I've read this exact interview many times and TBH I still don't know WTF he's saying. It just sounds like a used car salesman trying to sell a lemon.
He is referring to philosophical, and one can say even theological concept that the world is based on the struggle and unity of two opposites. They oppose each other because they are opposites, but at the same time they cannot exist without one another, this is the unity.

If you do a google search for this phrase you'll find some reading supplementation on the topic, ex: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unity_of_opposites

That sound really boring, no offense. Commenting on the interior? Why would I comment on plainly obvious things in front of my face? :D
I was trying to get another point across, that as an extrovert your primary function attitude is always directed to the outside and for ILI this function is too blocked, and that it is irrelevant whether you stay in or go out--you'll always be "showing them the world"--even if you will be floating together in a vacuum you'll still remain an extrovert.

She sounds badass. Haha. Is it difficult to work with your conflictor? Did you work out how to work together without, er, conflicting too much?
Work? We couldn't even decide who will hold the coffee and who will open the door on our first work meeting over lunch. We stood there for 3 minutes, speaking and gesturing to each other out of sync. The conversation was fine, she sounded reliable and professional. Then she shot down one of my propositions, even though she delivered it with humor, things got awkward enough that I took my part of the project and asked her to meet for another lunch in exactly two weeks. We worked separately from that time on only meeting to check in on work completed. It was complicated to say the least. I wasn't yet introduced to socionics.

Basically what I want in a relationship is like someone to cook food for me, clean the house, all of that boring stuff. Like a maid/cook in one. Except in a relationship, so I don't have to pay them. Somehow, I really, really doubt an ILI would be that person for me.
I used to rent a place with a guy who I'm quite sure was an ILI. He was a great cook, made a point of learning all the techniques and checking all the stores in the area for the best meat, in terms of freshness quality and deals. Cleaning... none of us were too enthused with it (there were 4 guys renting this place). When the common area got too dirty, we got together one of weekend days and scrubbed the place down and had a couple beers after. The ILI guy would put something on the grill or we'd order a pizza. I doubt he'd ever clean for free--it's what I learned about Gamma types, nobody in their quadra does work without pay--but I'm sure you can clean together with your ILI dual.

Have you ever dated someone of this type, or is this ILI aversion strictly theoretical i.e. that you can't stand how they are described?

sulfit

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
It sounds like self-preservation instinct is strych's weakest one, he or she doesn't want to take care of him or herself and wants to delegate the self-maintenance tasks to someone else.

sp-last — When the Self-Preservation instinct is least developed, attending to the basics of life [like cooking and cleaning] does not come easily. It will not always occur to such individuals that they need to eat or sleep properly. Environmental factors will be relatively insignificant, and they will tend to lack the drive to accumulate wealth or property – or even to care about such matters. Time and resource management will typically be neglected, often with seriously detrimental effects to their own careers, social life, and material well-being.

SP-last: The two self-preservation-lasts, sx/so and so/sx, steer clear of the earth element, which itself has a significant amount of dull weight to it, a bland stuckness, ‘a stick in the mud’. So, by contrast, the two sp-lasts are the butterfly stackings, spinning off a considerable amount of shimmer and sparkle, as they’re unsullied by dirt (earth) and the sullen droop and hunched seriousness of self-pres’s mundane concerns. This ungrounded quality is a double-edged sword though: For others, a welcome break-away from the monotony of hardened routines that center around self-pres; for those under the direct influence of these two stackings, however, there’s a particular incapacitation, a signature difficulty moving forward in certain areas of life — perpetual ‘immaturity’ on a practical level, sometimes a nomadic quality due to their characteristic ignorance around how to set firm steps and plant roots underneath their feet, or a wondering why one would even want do so.

Hawthorne

corona
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
So... Se valuers don't need to eat? ;)

I really doubt I value Si. Couldn't care less about comfort or whatever lol. It's boring/pointless. I just need a maid and cook.

Wait, you mean can't photosynthesize? How bizarre.

As for the rest....I see.

strychnine

All Natural! All Good!
It sounds like self-preservation instinct is strych's weakest one, he or she doesn't want to take care of him or herself and wants to delegate the self-maintenance tasks to someone else.

No, I want to delegate tasks I find boring to someone else. Note that I didn't mention anything about delegating self-maintenance tasks such as earning income, budgeting, investing, grocery shopping, etc to others. These are self-maintenance tasks I find interesting (yes, I take an active interest in grocery shopping, believe it or not!), so I want to do them. I only want to delegate cooking and housework specifically, not all self-maintenance tasks.

But since you bring it up:

sp-last — When the Self-Preservation instinct is least developed, attending to the basics of life [like cooking and cleaning] does not come easily.

Cooking and cleaning come easily, they're just uninteresting. Other self-maintenance tasks I mentioned above come easily and are interesting too.

It will not always occur to such individuals that they need to eat or sleep properly.

Can't imagine this. I take an active interest in nutrition and meal planning, I can't imagine not eating properly. I'd just prefer someone else actually cook the food. I'll plan meals, grocery shop, and research nutrition and recipes - all I ask is that my SO cook. I sleep well too but that seems to go for most people, SP or not.

Environmental factors will be relatively insignificant, and they will tend to lack the drive to accumulate wealth or property – or even to care about such matters.

haha. hahaha. Accumulating wealth is basically my #1 drive in life. ;) I would say I even care too much about it; I've lost friends because they expected me to treat them for example. I pay my share, you pay yours. I will ditch you if you expect me to pay! The same goes for acquiring and protecting material property, with the exception that I prefer money to property ;), so I'd rather save than spend. I don't think it means property as in land or housing, but if so, I'm working my way up to buying a small apartment complex eventually.

Time and resource management will typically be neglected, often with seriously detrimental effects to their own careers, social life, and material well-being.

Nope. I'm known for my punctuality and I'm generally early to places, at worst I'm on-time. Even as a kid I was one of the first to get to school. Material well-being is a priority for me, and I excel at it. I'm almost an Se/Te stereotype sometimes.

And this is why I type as SP-dom despite finding housework and cooking uninteresting. As it stands, I don't neglect my own cooking and housework, I just don't enjoy them.

SP-last: The two self-preservation-lasts, sx/so and so/sx, steer clear of the earth element, which itself has a significant amount of dull weight to it, a bland stuckness, ‘a stick in the mud’. So, by contrast, the two sp-lasts are the butterfly stackings, spinning off a considerable amount of shimmer and sparkle, as they’re unsullied by dirt (earth) and the sullen droop and hunched seriousness of self-pres’s mundane concerns. This ungrounded quality is a double-edged sword though: For others, a welcome break-away from the monotony of hardened routines that center around self-pres; for those under the direct influence of these two stackings, however, there’s a particular incapacitation, a signature difficulty moving forward in certain areas of life — perpetual ‘immaturity’ on a practical level, sometimes a nomadic quality due to their characteristic ignorance around how to set firm steps and plant roots underneath their feet, or a wondering why one would even want do so.

This is similarly inaccurate but can't be assed to dissect. LOL IRL though at the suggestion that I'm somehow impractical or nomadic. "set firm steps and plant roots underneath their feet" is practically my mantra.

"wondering why one would even want do so." - I wonder why you'd wonder that! It seems obvious to me! :D

strychnine

All Natural! All Good!
He is referring to philosophical, and one can say even theological concept that the world is based on the struggle and unity of two opposites. They oppose each other because they are opposites, but at the same time they cannot exist without one another, this is the unity.

If you do a google search for this phrase you'll find some reading supplementation on the topic, ex: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unity_of_opposites

Thanks for the explanation, but like most philosophy, that doesn't seem to fit observed reality. I see reality as a fairly harmonious collaboration between people who are largely similar, not as a struggle between opposites.

I was trying to get another point across, that as an extrovert your primary function attitude is always directed to the outside and for ILI this function is too blocked, and that it is irrelevant whether you stay in or go out--you'll always be "showing them the world"--even if you will be floating together in a vacuum you'll still remain an extrovert.

Oh, that larger point went over my head!

Work? We couldn't even decide who will hold the coffee and who will open the door on our first work meeting over lunch. We stood there for 3 minutes, speaking and gesturing to each other out of sync. The conversation was fine, she sounded reliable and professional. Then she shot down one of my propositions, even though she delivered it with humor, things got awkward enough that I took my part of the project and asked her to meet for another lunch in exactly two weeks. We worked separately from that time on only meeting to check in on work completed. It was complicated to say the least. I wasn't yet introduced to socionics.

Haha! I've had this kind of interaction with so many people! I didn't know this was a conflictor relation! LIIs must be really common!

I used to rent a place with a guy who I'm quite sure was an ILI. He was a great cook, made a point of learning all the techniques and checking all the stores in the area for the best meat, in terms of freshness quality and deals. Cleaning... none of us were too enthused with it (there were 4 guys renting this place). When the common area got too dirty, we got together one of weekend days and scrubbed the place down and had a couple beers after. The ILI guy would put something on the grill or we'd order a pizza. I doubt he'd ever clean for free--it's what I learned about Gamma types, nobody in their quadra does work without pay--but I'm sure you can clean together with your ILI dual.

Alright. I guess I could find an ILI who happens to enjoy cooking. Otherwise, I can do what I'd do if I didn't know about typology: date based on mutual compatibility and hire cleaning staff. ;)

Have you ever dated someone of this type, or is this ILI aversion strictly theoretical i.e. that you can't stand how they are described?

I don't type people IRL. I don't let theory get in the way of reality. ;) This is based on their posts here and my interactions with them here.

strychnine

All Natural! All Good!
[MENTION=10791]sulfit[/MENTION] It has been a month and you have not responded. It's fine if you don't want to respond, but this is just a reminder/bump in case you do. Thx. :dry:

strychnine

All Natural! All Good!

Ah, so you can't stand ILIs either? It's interesting that we're both Fi subtypes. I read somewhere that rationals or irrational creative subtypes can be more prone to writing off an entire dual type, lol.

FWIW I prefer LIEs*, especially LIE-Ni. What about you?

*The honest ones. (I'm here all day folks)

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Ah, so you can't stand ILIs either? It's interesting that we're both Fi subtypes. I read somewhere that rationals or irrational creative subtypes can be more prone to writing off an entire dual type, lol.

FWIW I prefer LIEs*, especially LIE-Ni. What about you?

*The honest ones. (I'm here all day folks)

I think Zarathustra explained it best. We were always butting heads, but he's actually a really nice guy in person ...he talked about how as dual types it's not actually some dreamy romantic connection, but like we see flipped mirror images of ourselves, like our weak points we're annoyed by in blazing glory, which can actually cause more annoyance or disgust than attraction, though there's an understanding or underlying respect there. Something along those lines.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
While i have always struggled to a degree with my dual, it never escalates very much overall. One situation or one thng here and there, but overall its generally pretty smooth. Despite our huge differences in going about the world we dont conflict all that much.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
While i have always struggled to a degree with my dual, it never escalates very much overall. One situation or one thng here and there, but overall its generally pretty smooth. Despite our huge differences in going about the world we dont conflict all that much.

You're in a different Quadra, though. Quadra styles differ. If you are Ti dom, you're Beta Quadra I think, because you have Se. So while your Quadra isn't as non confrontational as Delta, it's more polite than Gamma because of Fe. Gammas tend to operate on a plane that makes some other types consider them assholes.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
You're in a different Quadra, though. Quadra styles differ. If you are Ti dom, you're Beta Quadra I think, because you have Se. So while your Quadra isn't as non confrontational as Delta, it's more polite than Gamma because of Fe. Gammas tend to operate on a plane that makes some other types consider them assholes.

I personally didnt get into what a conflict was because like you said..thats based on personality, quadra etc. Escalate, conflict, details, etc. Is all person dependent. What drives othrs nuts dont bother me and vice versa. To abstract to relationship between types you have to use generalizations and drop the details of each group or type. Thats how we come up with "dual" on its own. Very vague and generic which is where i left it.