• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Gamma] is it normal to have a different MBTI/ socionic type?

Entropic

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I wouldn't mind it as much if everybody who typed themselves using the j/p switch called themselves by a completely different set of letters, to indicate that they were referring to a whole different universe of concepts. Instead of calling oneself 'INFp' or something, one would call oneself 'XQGK.' That way, no one would ever mix the systems together. I just really, really don't like the result of the j/p switch, which is, you get thrown into the opposite socionic quadra (I'd be an ISTj) and you'd be advised to marry your conflictor (my 'dual,' the ENFJ). Bad, very bad.

And, I'm not quite sure if I understand your question. I guess, I'm not bothered by the idea of an introverted base function being something which is visible and able to be talked about. I'm capable of talking about introverted sensing, all the time. There's nothing hidden or invisible or undetectable about my introverted sensing base function. Every time I complain about what a horrible flu I have, I'm talking out loud about what's going on with my introverted sensing. If I recall, the rationale about an introverted base function was that it was somehow, in some mysterious way, ineffable and nonverbal and impossible to see and impossible to measure, because it was introverted, and therefore, the next best thing was to just grab whatever was handy, the creative function, which is extraverted thinking (for me), and then do some weird magic trick for no reason that I could ever understand, and say that since my second function is a judging function, I must be a judging type, even though I have no problem whatsoever talking about all the observations that I see in my introverted sensing. Oh well, I should shut up, I actually need to go about this a whole different way. I can't really explain it.

What I'm talking about is that the J/P switch would denote that an ISTP would be an LSI in socionics because both lead with TiSe. The J/P switch is only relevant for introverts because the J/P letter in the MBTI denotes the nature of the first extroverted function i.e. all IPs in MBTI have extroverted perception as their first leading function which, in the MBTI, would make them perceiving. The emphasis is placed on the auxiliary as opposed to the dominant, whereas socionics places emphasis on the base over the creative.

Blackout

Permabanned
MBTI Type
infp
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I always get INFP, but I just took a socionics test for the first time, and I got ENFP.

Why is that? I don't think I'm an extrovert at all; but I took the test pretty accurately. I know, I know, functions etc. I sort of go back and fourth between I-E, though at times I think. It's hard to tell. Usually my introversion scores are actually quite high. Close to 1oo%

I honestly liked the socionics questions more; and they seemed somewhat more accurate to me. I think it's because in socionics my Ne is stronger then Fi

Blackout

Permabanned
MBTI Type
infp
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
INFp - Because of the influence of MBTI, some new to socionic's theory may ignorantly think that the correct way to switch between introverted and extroverted types is to simply switch an E to an I or an I to an E. This is not the correct way to switch back and forth between the two in socionics. If you are an INFp in MBTI with an emphasis on expressing Ne and Fi, your actual socionics type is either an ENFp

Hahah, i guess that means I am an ENFP socionics

magpie

Permabanned
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
It might interest some people to know that my mom, sister, and I all type as MBTI INFP, but in socionics my mom is ESFj, my sister is INFj, and I'm INFp.

Blackout

Permabanned
MBTI Type
infp
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
It might interest some people to know that my mom, sister, and I all type as MBTI INFP, but in socionics my mom is ESFj, my sister is INFj, and I'm INFp.

Why is that? so could I actually be considered an extrovert, if I wanted to?

Hawthorne

corona
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Totally! I'm actually an ILI in socionics but an ESFP in MBTI! It's kind of weird how it works. I think it has something to do with different definitions and orders and stuff. Yup.

Blackout

Permabanned
MBTI Type
infp
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Totally! I'm actually an ILI in socionics but an ESFP in MBTI! It's kind of weird how it works. I think it has something to do with different definitions and orders and stuff. Yup.

But are both types describing the same person?

existence

MBTI Type
ISTJ
And, I'm not quite sure if I understand your question. I guess, I'm not bothered by the idea of an introverted base function being something which is visible and able to be talked about. I'm capable of talking about introverted sensing, all the time. There's nothing hidden or invisible or undetectable about my introverted sensing base function. Every time I complain about what a horrible flu I have, I'm talking out loud about what's going on with my introverted sensing. If I recall, the rationale about an introverted base function was that it was somehow, in some mysterious way, ineffable and nonverbal and impossible to see and impossible to measure, because it was introverted, and therefore, the next best thing was to just grab whatever was handy, the creative function, which is extraverted thinking (for me), and then do some weird magic trick for no reason that I could ever understand, and say that since my second function is a judging function, I must be a judging type, even though I have no problem whatsoever talking about all the observations that I see in my introverted sensing. Oh well, I should shut up, I actually need to go about this a whole different way. I can't really explain it.

Right, you described this well.

This is a problem really for the ISxx types mainly. The thing is, it seems Si is defined differently between MBTI and Socionics. Whatever is defined as Si in MBTI, a lot of it isn't Si but Ji. Some of it is actually Si as defined but many people don't even notice this core of the Si definition.

So that causes the confusion.

Now to this add that in MBTI, some people type by functions and then some type by dichotomies (=the letters).

Even more confusion.

What I find funny is I've yet to see either ISTP or ISTJ people type as LSI in socionics much... they almost all go for SLI. Idk why. I haven't yet checked the pattern for ISFP and ISFJ, hm.

existence

MBTI Type
ISTJ
IMO the MBTI SJs are mostly people with a strong Rational T/F dominant function + Sensing auxiliary. Except the ones that do type by the real core of the Si definition.

So ISxJ's are usually either a more socially introverted (but cognitively still extraverted) Te or Fe dom ESxJ which is naturally very J; or a Ti or Fi dom who has really strong emphasis on their Ji and diminished influence of auxiliary Se keeping them J enough; or an actual Si dom with really strengthened Te or Fe auxiliary making them J enough.

Same for the ISxP's, that is, socially introverted Se-dom ESxP naturally quite P; or Si-dom with not too strongly expressed Te or Fe auxiliary keeping them P enough or an actual Ti or Fi dom with really strengthened Se auxiliary making them P enough.

existence

MBTI Type
ISTJ
My type btw is just ISTx in MBTI. I only have a distinct type in Socionics. In MBTI it depends on what I type by.

destinynicole

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx
This helped me out a lot. I am an INFP in Myers Briggs and an INFj in Socionics, and this makes much more sense to me after you explained it :)

Litsnob

I am really solidly INFJ in MBTI but Socionics is more cofusing for me. When I take a test I come out as INFj which I understand actually equates to MBTI INFP and I am certainly not an INFP. When I look at the descriptions of Socionics EII and IEI, I relate to equal amounts of both of them so from those I cannot determine if I am INFj or INFp. I just don't feel I've got a handle on Socionics at all though I'm beginning to feel I've got a grip o MBTI.

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
On tests and in reading the descriptions I'm an ILI, MBTI I'm INTP. Also, the intertype relation between my wife and I is spot on too (ILI <>LIE).

Yama

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
On socionics tests, I score "100% as likely to be ESI as SEI" by I identify wayyyy more with the alpha quadra, and SEI I think fits me much better. So at least for me, the j/p switch works.

HongDou

navigating
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
For me I relate to Delta > Gamma = Alpha > Beta. I identify as IEE-Fi.

Beta seems wayyyyy to high strung and busy for me. I have to pump myself up more often than I have to relax myself down.

With Gamma and Alpha I relate to parts of them but not the whole. I relate to Gamma's more chilled back disposition but not the amount of aggressiveness. If I go for the throat, it's something I'm consciously doing. I had to train myself to do that lol. For Alpha I relate to the lighter style but not the whole positive emotional energy part of it. To me Delta seems both lighter and also chilled back like me.

I'm also not super educated on Socionics though so :shrug: But yeah my MBTI/Socionics type align.

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
INTP in MBTI who relates alot to INFP.

LII in socionics who relates alot to EII.

See a pattern?

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
[MENTION=6071]Oaky[/MENTION]

Would you like to share your thoughts on this?

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
[MENTION=6071]Oaky[/MENTION]

Would you like to share your thoughts on this?
Yes, I don't mind providing thought on this.

I imagine when we learn about MBTI and socionics we tend to like to cross-map the two in the thought that the types are quite similar either in the dichotomy lettering or in the function order however there are fundamendal differences in the two.

Unlike socionics, MBTI has multiple interpretations by various researchers into the topic. David Keirsey had become one of the more popular psychologists and so a great deal of what MBTI is shown to the world is often by Keirsey's interpretations which are often stereotypical and out of place.

Among the one's I believe is most accurate, Lenore Thompson's view was the best, and this is because each of the functions in the dichotomy in either one of the processes of perceiving or judging, map with each other in a symmetrical manner that organically testifies a logical formation of how the elements of the functions themselves. Like how Fi -> Ti moves in a way where feeling is subjective towards logic is subjective. Fi - Fe would be a move from Feeling is subjective to Feeling is objective. And this mapping can be defined to properly understand how one conceptually moves from a subjective feeling to subjective thinking stance, or subjective feeling to objective feeling stance.

Ironically the16types, a socionics forum, has more data about MBTI then we do.

Taken from Lenore Thomson's MBTI Wiki Explanation of Functions

MBTI: Lenore Thomson's Descriptions of Cognitive Functions

Short Descriptions

Introverted Function Attitudes

The Introverted perspectives draw upon our innate, inherited potential to think and understand, without regard to present-day opportunities or social conventions.

Introverted Sensation (Si) tunes you in to the chaos, unpredictability, and unknowability of the concrete world, leading you to value whatever few signs you can find that have stable meaning. For example, the stripes of tabby cats might hold a particular meaning for you, and you might come to treasure that. As an epistemological perspective, Si leads you to view anything from outside a familiar context as dangerous and untrustworthy. You are in tune with the fact that nearly all possibilities lead to destruction. For example, if you're designing an airplane, nearly all combinations of the variables fail. Of the possible combinations of wingspan, wing placement, wing shape, fuselage shape, and so on, there is only a tiny subset that make an aerodynamically workable plane--and then only if you get a whole lot of other things just right, too. All of life is like that, only much more complicated. We live only in the small islands of the world that we've grown up with and are suited to us. And we can't possibly know why these small islands are relatively safe. As an ethical perspective, Si leads you to protect the integrity of the things and signs that we depend on. This usually takes the form of setting up barriers against the unpredictable. For example, saving for a rainy day (hardships come at unpredictable times) or inspecting buildings for fire safety (so people can trust that "being inside a building" is a sign of safety against the elements). Within these barriers, where all is trustworthy and familiar, we can survive and enjoy what is precious to us--for a while.

Introverted Intuition (Ni) focuses on what is inexpressible--the incommensurable and chaotic things that exist outside of any conceptual framework. For example, what do you hear in the theme-and-variations movement of Beethoven's String Quartet Op. 131? There is a meaning there, but you can't put it into words. Any attempt to put it into words will result in only a tawdry parody of the reality. Better to remain silent. As an epistemological perspective, Ni leads you to view all signs as meaningless or even deceptive, not necessarily connected to what they're supposed to represent. The true reality is something that exists beyond all signs and appearances, and can only be apprehended by a kind of direct intuition. To learn truth, one must learn to see through appearances--to make contact with a reality that cannot be seen or said. As an ethical perspective, Ni leads you to hold yourself apart from and unaffected by the meanings that others attach to words and events--to keep your own vision pure and pursue your own path regardless of evidence, reasons, or the opinions of others.

Introverted Thinking (Ti) makes sense of the world by apprehending it in terms of effects emerging from a cause, or a harmony of elements. For example, the way a beautifully made desk appears to emerge from a single idea. As an epistemological perspective, Ti leads one to trust only things that you understand first-hand for yourself, preferably through direct, hands-on interaction. You must see for yourself how a given thing or subject makes sense. Knowledge must emerge from the concrete reality itself, not from preconceived categories or criteria, and the search for knowledge must follow wherever logic and the subject matter lead, regardless of how people feel about it. As an ethical perspective, Ti leads you to do what is best for the system regardless of reward or gain or social conventions that define right and wrong behavior. For example, the sense of "natural law" that guides Clint Eastwood to do what needs doing in Old West towns regardless of the law.

Introverted Feeling (Fi) makes sense of the world by relating everything to universal human needs and callings. For example, understanding the actions of a bully as the expression of an unmet need to be connected and feel important. Understanding that, we can see the bully without judgement: we can see him as a living being not so different from ourselves, seeking to fulfill his needs just as we do, but in a way that creates unnecessary conflict. As an epistemological perspective, Fi leads you to take whatever a person thinks or believes as an expression of that person's unique nature--not to criticize it because it fails to live up to some externally imposed criteria like whether or not it's "logical" or "appropriate". As an ethical perspective, Fi leads you to act out of empathy regardless of the social status or "deservingness" of the beneficiary. Fi leads you to view all living things as equal in value, all needing to thrive in interpersonal harmony without giving up any of their uniqueness.

Extraverted Function Attitudes

The Extraverted perspectives lead you to use present-day opportunities and circumstances as the ultimate building blocks of your beliefs. Extraverted perspectives provide ways to negotiate through the present-day world, making sense of situations quickly and knowing where you stand in relation to them and what you want to do.

Extraverted Sensation (Se) makes sense of the world by attending to what exists concretely here and now, and trusting your instincts. As an epistemological perspective, Se leads you to believe only in what you can see and experience concretely, and to trust your immediate, gut-level responses to it. If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, sounds like a duck, then it's a duck. Whatever a sign means is obvious and inescapable; if a sign's meaning is not obvious, then it's meaningless. Whatever is physical, immediate, gut-level cannot be faked and must be right. For example, if you sense that someone is up to no good, then you trust that sense. If you have an impulse to paint the town red, then you go out and do so. As an ethical perspective, Se leads you to believe that life is to be lived right now, "in the moment", responding to things immediately and without thought. What matters most in life is what makes the biggest perceivable impact, whatever stands out in a way that can't be ignored. Se leads you to develop a persona that is attractive and "hip" according to the conventions of your society and your time--to go with the flow without stopping to question the direction. If something isn't fun, then don't do it.

Extraverted Intuition (Ne) makes sense of the world by seeing ways to incorporate what is known into a broader context--breaking through the limits of current concepts. For example, sensing, before nearly anyone else, that high-bandwidth communication networks would "change the rules" of commerce. As an epistemological perspective, Ne leads you to practice "out of the box" thinking. There are never any final answers, just more and more opportunities to shift concepts and make sense of things in new ways. Whatever we think things mean today, we'll probably find out tomorrow they mean something different. As an ethical perspective, Ne leads you to take risks and dive into the unknown--stacking the deck to some extent by diving into areas that look especially fertile, but genuinely entering the unknown and allowing it to send your mind in new directions. If you don't know, just guess! Try something, and information will come to you--but only if you stir up the pot. From an Ne perspective, life is a succession of opportunities to pounce on, each opportunity opening up more that you can't yet see.

Extraverted Thinking (Te) makes sense of the world by viewing things "objectively": in terms of categories and measurements that can be defined in advance of observation. For example, defining the specifications of a wheel that make it acceptable for use on the road. Stable categories and measurements enable people to define shared goals and enforce agreements fairly. You can tell whether the wheel met the specifications or not; anyone can tell, because the specifications are defined independently of both the wheel and the person doing the measuring. As an epistemological perspective, Te leads you to be concerned with logical and empirical justification. No conclusion may be accepted until it has been grounded on a firm foundation of other facts that have themselves been firmly established. What has not been tested is unknown; what cannot be tested is meaningless. As an ethical perspective, Te leads to a life of "rational hill-climbing": making every decision according to well-defined criteria for what counts as better and worse. You might not know how to get to your goal, but at each decision, you take the choice that leads closer to it: you improve your position at every opportunity. Moral codes in a Te worldview emphasize keeping one's promises. Justice is understood as a social agreement negotiated by all parties, which specifies rewards and punishments that must be enforced fairly according to objective rules.

Extraverted Feeling (Fe) makes sense of the world by viewing it in terms of where you stand with other people: interpreting signs that indicate the category of your relationship. As an epistemological perspective, Fe leads you to view every sign as an expression of people's loyalties. A simple example is that displaying a flag demonstrates your loyalty to country. What matters is how you go above and beyond efficient means to an end. For example, throwing a party in someone's honor is not "necessary" for survival: it's a gesture that goes above and beyond survival, expressing your feelings for the guest of honor in a way that all can understand. From an Fe perspective, words are never neutral descriptions of fact: your choice of words, your choice of topic, is a declaration of your feelings and loyalties. As an ethical perspective, Fe leads you to believe that "life is with people": to understand one's value and meaning in terms of your standing in the community--in terms of the people whom you influence and their feelings about you.

Now socionics is different in that it tries to minimise any different interpretations of the functions. The orders of the functions are based on attitudes towards them and how we use them with those attitudes.

This is model A in socionics

Model-A-Grid.jpg

Each type has an order of the functions that are within each block and hold a different attitude towards them.

Socionics defines the functions differently and has a little more of a social perspective than a thought process perspective which gives it rise to relationship dynamics and the like.

Based on Lenore Thompson's descriptions I am an NiTe - INTJ, based on socionics descriptions I am an SiTe - SLI-ISTp.

In a way, it is like saying the colour that defines me is 'blue' but the element that defines me is 'earth'. Some people may crossmap blue to water, but they're not the same.