• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Socionics - Relations of Supervision

James W

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Have you ever been romantically involved in a relationship of supervision before?

Which were you? Supervisor or supervisee?

How was it?

Do you agree with the descriptions of the experience presented here?

http://www.socionics.com/rel/sp.htm

chubber

failed poetry slam career
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Hmm... Have you seen [MENTION=5837]93JC[/MENTION]'s posts where she mentions her opinion of INTJs? I guess she can give it from her perspective. I mention her, because that is how I imagine it must feel for her from the supervisee's point of view.

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
My maternal grandparents are in a relationship of supervision. They have occasional disputes where the SLI can be frustrated at the ESE's drama but they've learned to live with each other.

My paternal grandparents are in a relationship of duality.

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
My maternal grandparents are in a relationship of supervision. They have occasional disputes where the SLI can be frustrated at the ESE's drama but they've learned to live with each other.

93JC

Hmm... Have you seen [MENTION=5837]93JC[/MENTION]'s posts where she mentions her opinion of INTJs? I guess she can give it from her perspective. I mention her, because that is how I imagine it must feel for her from the supervisee's point of view.

You have me confused with someone else.

sulfit

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Romantically no. My supervisor type bores me to tears before it ever gets any further that far.

In family relations where the parent is of Supervisee type to the child, and their relationship is otherwise good, it leaves a feeling in the child of being provided for and protected but not fulfilled intellectually and emotionally by the parent.

James W

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

My parents were in a relationship of supervision. I think it hit my Dad (SLI) pretty hard during the divorce. After seeing how quickly my mother moved on, I was never quite sure whether he was finally calming down or dead inside.

In family relations where the parent is of Supervisee type to the child, and their relationship is otherwise good, it leaves a feeling in the child of being provided for and protected but not fulfilled intellectually and emotionally by the parent.

Interesting theory. I could see that working out well in a parent/child relationship, especially when you consider how the supervisee is older and in a more mature mental state, functions wise.

I started this thread out of the realization that I'm totally infatuated by ESFps romantically and was hoping Socionics could shed some light on this issue. My relationships with them may have seemed one sided, but for some reason, I've never looked back in regret, no matter how crazy things got.

I've been looking into how Socionics implements all 8 functions into our personality types, the Super-Ego block in particular.

Weak conscious functions (by Z. Freud’s theory – Superego) – the third and the fourth. They serve for a person’s adapting in a society. Here the social rules and expectations are important. A person is never sure in the contents of these functions as he is not sure in his compliance with the social demands.

The third function is the role one. A person plays a role to adapt himself in unusual conditions, tries to be bright in this function.

The fourth function is a painful point, the place of the least resistance. It is difficult to perceive information in this function adequately, to work creatively here, that is why it is better not to criticize a person on the matters connected with it. Even praise is hard to receive on the painful point. Here we can draw an analogy with physical pain: it is better not to touch the place which is hurt at all – neither for the purpose of stroking nor pricking.

Is it possible that I'm wanting to explore the weakest of my shadow functions, (Se) in a safe way that isn't through my conflictor? I feel like I can achieve this through my supervisor since we both have an ego function in common, (Fi) to keep us both on a relatively similar wavelength.

Supervision partners often look like good friends. The reason for this is that in these relations both partners can sense their social value: the Supervisor as a "guardian angel", without whom the Supervisee will get into trouble, and the Supervisee as the object of attention.

I've noticed this in a few other supervision relationships too. I know an ISFj/ENFp couple who argue all the time, though the ENFp isn't really that phased by any of it. ISFj will post a lot of depressing Facebook statuses about how "a real boyfriend should stop giving other girls so many attention," in which case, ENFp continues his carefree lifestyle, unaffected by any of these accusations.

In relations of Supervision it may also appear as if the Supervisor patronises the Supervisee, which can be quite obtrusive for the latter. When there are more than two people present, the Supervisee often attempts to release themselves from the control of the Supervisor by starting arguments for the sake of it or by attempting to manoeuvre themselves into the commanding position. Unfortunately, these attempts lead nowhere. The Supervisor may think instead that the Supervisee simply requires more attention.

seamaid

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
YES!

My parents were in a relationship of supervision. I think it hit my Dad (SLI) pretty hard during the divorce. After seeing how quickly my mother moved on, I was never quite sure whether he was finally calming down or dead inside.

Interesting theory. I could see that working out well in a parent/child relationship, especially when you consider how the supervisee is older and in a more mature mental state, functions wise.

I started this thread out of the realization that I'm totally infatuated by ESFps romantically and was hoping Socionics could shed some light on this issue. My relationships with them may have seemed one sided, but for some reason, I've never looked back in regret, no matter how crazy things got.

I've been looking into how Socionics implements all 8 functions into our personality types, the Super-Ego block in particular.

Is it possible that I'm wanting to explore the weakest of my shadow functions, (Se) in a safe way that isn't through my conflictor? I feel like I can achieve this through my supervisor since we both have an ego function in common, (Fi) to keep us both on a relatively similar wavelength.

I've noticed this in a few other supervision relationships too. I know an ISFj/ENFp couple who argue all the time, though the ENFp isn't really that phased by any of it. ISFj will post a lot of depressing Facebook statuses about how "a real boyfriend should stop giving other girls so many attention," in which case, ENFp continues his carefree lifestyle, unaffected by any of these accusations.

I'm in a situation with an ESFP too and it's his Se-Fi-Te that I'm crazy about. I really love that Se... his tertiary Te is indirect enough that I don't feel he's controlling me unlike say with an ExTJ. I have noticed he does 'supervise' me, because he's better at Se and Te than I am, and I need those functions to be more effective in my goals. But it's not totally one-sided. I may not have a whole lot of Ni, but I can help him avoid impending trouble if need be, because I can spot them, as well as gaps in his logic. I realized he talks about what he needs to do out loud because he needs insight into the best course of action. I'm hoping that I can collect what he says and 'outsource' the advice from other 'experts' and relay it back to him. Meanwhile, he gets to feel good because I look up to him and give him that Fi empathy, Si comfort, and Ne playfulness.

Typh0n

clever fool
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm in a situation with an ESFP too and it's his Se-Fi-Te that I'm crazy about. I really love that Se... his tertiary Te is indirect enough that I don't feel he's controlling me unlike say with an ExTJ. I have noticed he does 'supervise' me, because he's better at Se and Te than I am, and I need those functions to be more effective in my goals. But it's not totally one-sided. I may not have a whole lot of Ni, but I can help him avoid impending trouble if need be, because I can spot them, as well as gaps in his logic. I realized he talks about what he needs to do out loud because he needs insight into the best course of action. I'm hoping that I can collect what he says and 'outsource' the advice from other 'experts' and relay it back to him. Meanwhile, he gets to feel good because I look up to him and give him that Fi empathy, Si comfort, and Ne playfulness.

EIIs do not love :Se:. All of them I know hate it. Either you are IEI, or you have another function confused with :Se:. You also said you feel ExTjs are controlling. . . another sign you do not value their dominant function, which, if you were EII, you would stimulating.

S

Stansmith

I can picture myself having had this relationship with a few types that don't necessarily match up. I can remember being intimidated by an archeology professor who was ILI at first, since he would shoot down a lot of my questions, but that quickly subsided. Some people say that he actually liked me as a student.