• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Socionics - Do you recognize your dual when you encounter them?

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It can be confusing when people don't specify which system they are referring to. :unsure:

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
yeah but don't write it as ISTP because then you are insinuating that it is MBTI. ISTP on MBTI is ISTj on socionics...:doh:

*glares*

It was a legit question ABOUT mbti. Coz it is mbti typed people that make these threads. The crossover to socionics happens within the thread. Im merely verifying it.

Now. Take that T either to the conundrum I gave you to solve and off of my back. Put it to good use, that's what I keep you guys around for :alttongue:

chubber

failed poetry slam career
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Well, on an unrelated side note... I think your IxTJ is a halfbreed and that is one of the reasons why you... get along with him and all :D

just random FYI there

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Well, on an unrelated side note... I think your IxTJ is a halfbreed and that is one of the reasons why you... get along with him and all :D

just random FYI there

Then I know a looooot of IxTJs, dude :alttongue:

Ok, lemme try this again.

ISTP or ENFP comes in on this forum.
He/SHe makes a thread about the dynamic between the two MBTI types
Says it goes great, but communication can be...difficult coz they are so different, but there is an instant draw and great chemistry because of those differences.
Inevitably, someone comes in and tells them this is coz they are duals in socionics.

Are they right or is there another reason for the dynamic between these two mbti types? And how come Socionics - if it aint right - doesn't seem to confirm this?

T

The Iron Giant

The duality relationship in Socionics is probably the most talked about and supposedly the strongest one.

"Meeting a dual, interacting with your dual, positive self-realization in a relationship knowing your dual (dualization), duality is the relationship of complete mutual complement…" (Read more here)

Do you feel that instant pull, that supposed connection when you meet someone who is your dual and what is it like? How do you know for sure? What is the dual connection about for you?

List of Duals, for those needing the reference. Keep in mind that your MBTI does not necessarily translate and feel free to check out the quadra threads and the identification thread for this, if need be.

LSE (ESTj) — EII (INFj)
LIE (ENTj) — ESI (ISFj)
ESE (ESFj) — LII (INTj)
EIE (ENFj) — LSI (ISTj)
SLE (ESTp) — IEI (INFp)
SEE (ESFp) — ILI (INTp)
ILE (ENTp) — SEI (ISFp)
IEE (ENFp) — SLI (ISTp)

I'm LSI and ISTJ. It's hard for me to answer with confidence because I know very few people who've provided their socionics type. I'm going to assume most EIEs I know are typing as ENFx in MBTI.

I have a few ENFP friends who I get along with well, and I've felt close to a couple (admiration, respect, etc), but never to the point of physical or romantic attraction. I have a good ENFJ friend who I've known more than a decade now, but I don't feel any attraction there, either. So, I'd say no, not so far.

chubber

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Then I know a looooot of IxTJs, dude :alttongue:

Ok, lemme try this again.

ISTP or ENFP comes in on this forum.
He/SHe makes a thread about the dynamic between the two MBTI types
Says it goes great, but communication can be...difficult coz they are so different, but there is an instant draw and great chemistry because of those differences.
Inevitably, someone comes in and tells them this is coz they are duals in socionics.

Are they right or is there another reason for the dynamic between these two mbti types? And how come Socionics - if it aint right - doesn't seem to confirm this?

so would that be the equivalent of ESFJ and INTJ then?

chubber

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I guess so, yeah.

because Google didn't tell me there is a difference between INTJ and INTj... and there is a lot of information out there that they (ESFj and INTj) are duals. People talk about it in MBTI terms when they should have referenced socionics.

I did this myself. I thought, ah I should get ESFJ... when it started out great and wow and then it burns out in horrible critical mental death. You are so glad you walk away from it.

Then I learned about socionics and I didn't test for INTJ but INTp :doh: and then it started to make sense for me.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Yeah, I was really confused when I took a socionics test and it said INFp but the type description sounded like mbti INFJ. (This was before I knew the difference between the systems. I'm still a newbie about anything socionics related)

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Yeah, I was really confused when I took a socionics test and it said INFp but the type description sounded like mbti INFJ. (This was before I knew the difference between the systems. I'm still a newbie about anything socionics related)

And yet a lot of mbti INFJs, when they test socionics, seem to come out INFj (EII) not INFp (IEI) :shrug:

At the same time, I've been badgered by plenty of INTxs that the two systems are one and the same and should be merged and that I cannot be INFp, for that very reason :shrug:

It kind of gets...confusing. And the dual doesn't seem to be a reliable way of determining it either.

chubber

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
[MENTION=5494]Amargith[/MENTION] have a look at the diagram...
220px-CognitiveFunctions.png

The dual is always on the opposite side of the circle in the opposite ring.

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
[MENTION=5494]Amargith[/MENTION] have a look at the diagram...
220px-CognitiveFunctions.png

The dual is always on the opposite side of the circle in the opposite ring.

And this is socionics then, I take it? :alttongue:

Honor

girl with a pretty smile
MBTI Type
?
Instinctual Variant
so
No. I'm not really sure how to spot an ESFJ, to be honest. I know as an INTP (Socionics INTj) I'm supposed to complain about them all the time (but secretly they're supposed to be exactly what I need), but I'm not really sure if I've interacted with them very much, except for maybe some teachers I may have had in grade school.

PRO-TIP: Look for 'ESFJ' under their avatar.

Honor

girl with a pretty smile
MBTI Type
?
Instinctual Variant
so
My sister is ISTJ and so is a male friend. I definitely feel at-ease around them. Like we're both wherever we're at, but both of us are on the same page about how we feel about being there. Kind of like an unspoken "if we could telepathically crack jokes about everyone and everything here, we'd be having a field day" vibe. Lots of "looks" and laughs. Also, any kind of conversation always seems to be effortless, no bs. I'm never worried I'm offending them or that we're having a miscommunication. I also really appreciate their chilled out energy. I know if I don't get back to them or don't initiate contact for a while, there aren't any hard feelings (or probably even a second thought). Low maintenance, easy connections. That said, I don't think I'd ever be romantically interested in a person with either of their personalities. I fear I'd be mentally and emotionally starved in that relationship.
I have the same reaction to my ISTJ friend! The relationship is very low maintenance and there's plenty of interesting discussion of ideas but I feel emotionally starved because she doesn't want to think about people or herself nearly as much as I do.

ESTP women are incredibly sexy to me. I don't know if I could handle living with one though.
You could handle it, Lye! I have faith in you.

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Actually that is MBTI. Look at the last letter!

Then why do you get to yell at me for not specifying earlier and you again get to yell at me for asking YOU to specify? :alttongue:

chubber

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Then why do you get to yell at me for not specifying earlier and you again get to yell at me for asking YOU to specify? :alttongue:

I don't know, my brain hurts. Need INTP to clarify all this.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I have the same reaction to my ISTJ friend! The relationship is very low maintenance and there's plenty of interesting discussion of ideas but I feel emotionally starved because she doesn't want to think about people or herself nearly as much as I do.

You could handle it, Lye! I have faith in you.

I married an ISFP. She's about as much as I can handle. She can be so blunt and direct. I think it's what attracted me in the first place. They don't waste time hypothesizing and speculating. They want something, they go for it.

Honor

girl with a pretty smile
MBTI Type
?
Instinctual Variant
so
I married an ISFP. She's about as much as I can handle. She can be so blunt and direct. I think it's what attracted me in the first place. They don't waste time hypothesizing and speculating. They want something, they go for it.
Really? Haha, I have never heard that about ISFPs. I've only known one and he was very sensitive and timid.

With last two INTJs that I interacted with extensively, things started off okay, but didn't end up well. In college, one of my mentors was an INTJ. I learned a lot from her, and I think she appreciated my genuine desire to be the good person that she expected everybody to be. However, we also...never quite got each other completely. In case I'm ENFJ, I'll also do ISTJ. My longest-standing friendship from college is with an ISTJ. She is...not very sensitive to the troubles of others. Since most of my life is spent thinking about humanitarian concerns, the world, people, her reaction can come off a bit harsh. On the other hand, she has stood with me no matter what and been there in the down time times to cheer me up. That means a lot to me.