• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Socionics quadras - How one behavioral group experiences another.

madhatter

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I also think that alphas and betas are the ones being the most likely to throw big social gatherings as well rather than small ones. Gamma and delta types only really invite those they truly care about or have a personal interest in. Alphas and betas will be more like "bring all your friends, your brothers and sisters and their friends" kind of thing.

Perfect example of a beta gathering...

I would disagree with this, at least for myself. Big gatherings get too overwhelming in general. Whenever I plan something, which is rare, I'm only going to call up people I want to be there. For one of my recent birthday dinners, I hand-picked the people I wanted to come, which were my siblings and several friends, and that's it. Even my parents weren't invited. I didn't want any awkwardness or weird dynamics. I wanted good company and good discussion, i.e. a positive, fun atmosphere. And that's what I got. I'd be pissed if one of them dragged along another person uninvited.

And that party you described...I'd be sneaking out early too. I hate parties like that.

sulfit

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I've had a hard time figuring out my socionics type. EII sounds like MBTI INFP e9 and IEI sounds like INFJ e4. So I feel stuck between them. And the functions don't help much, because they don't align with Jung, and I keep finding conflicting ideas of what they are in socionics.

As for quadras, I thought Delta might be closer to my style in that I'm serious, but then I looked at serious/merry distinctions & it stopped being as clear cut as I thought. I like a certain amount of absurdity & melodrama, which I contain because it's misunderstood in most contexts. So I haven't ruled out Beta yet either. It's hard to tell since I'm not very sociable over all.

But the intertype relations aspect of socionics keeps me wondering... MBTI doesn't cover that much.
When I was getting too entangled in the theory, what helped me was reading through the quadra subforums on 16types.info and trying to feel where I fit, which quadra feels more like homebase. Not the most logical approach, but I believe that not every problem can be resolved by cold reason and sometimes one has to let one's feelings and intuitions guide the way forward. Later on when I absorbed more of socionics theory turned out that my intuition about what quadra I belonged to was right after all.

Getting to know people from merry/serious quadras builds external reference points such that one doesn't have to get lost in all the theoretical gibberish. [MENTION=6877]Marmotini[/MENTION] this might work for you too.

What's up with the beta haters? jesus fuckin christ
layin' in heavily on stereotypes haha

all I keep reading for beta in this thread so far is "drama drama emotionalism drama drama dramatic"
meanwhile, on 16types socionics forum you'll find down-to-earth betas with regular college majors and jobs in such "excitingly dramatic" fields as computer science and accounting

Socionics is like too much Ti(Ne) just run amok.

I'm sure it's internally consistent and all...

It just... doesn't (imo) seem to connect with reality.

SFPs are much more the opposite of NTJs than they are the same.
Same thing can be said of MBTI yet you and others have no problem using it. Truth is that both typologies need some good reality checks done alongside studying the theory. It's virtually impossible to study them otherwise, as pure theory, and not get your wires crossed.

sulfit

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Dunno. Those are my observations so I mean, take them as they are...perhaps I pay attention to other things? I see delta and beta as almost always forming super tight knit groups where it's hard to feel welcome.
This is strange... most of the groups I've seen have been mixed. I've read others referring to these groups made up of single quadra, but from my observations I've never seen these "tight" homogeneous quadral groups.

This is something that made me doubt socionics quadra formations initially. In real life, the quadra lines don't seem to be so markedly delineated as socionics tries to portray them.

social norms for beta quadra are self-defined coolness which, when not respected, makes the person a loser
how does that work for Beta females? self-defined coolness can work for males but I have a hard time picturing how Beta women would get around that

I opened a cashbox in our kitchen in which I have to pay 1 Euro everytime I tell my dom Fi girl that what she just has been doing "aint normal" or that "everyone would understand me except for her".

We have grown pretty rich that way :D
is your girl's type EII?

sulfit

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
you were saying she is Fi dom, is that in MBTI?

Agreed, but I thought pretty much all the Socionists were NTPs.
no, while its founder was ILE there have been plenty of other types contributing
there is a list of like a dozen of socionists w/ their types posted at the bottom here: http://www.the16types.info/vbulletin/content.php/130-Introduction-to-Socionics

Valentina Meged & Anatoly Ovcharov (IEE & SLI) - publications
Liubov Beskova (IEE) - publicatons
Victor Gulenko (LII-Ne sp/so) - publications; blog
Vera Stratievskaya (ESI-Se) - website
Ekaterina Filatova (EII) - publications
Vladimir Lvov (IEE) - website
Grigori Bukalov (SLE) - publications
Tatiana Prokofieva (ILE) - publications
Alexander Dovgan (LII) - publications
Irina Eglit (LSE-Te) - http://socionicasys.ru/o-shkole/eksperty/irina-eglit
Vladimir D. Ermak (LII) - http://socionicasys.ru/o-shkole

They're still all NPs.
There is at least one SLE, LSE and ESI on that list so no, they are not all NPs as you were saying. Reading through some old threads on 16types, one of their more active socionics theoreticians was an LSE by the forum handle of smilingeyes.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
you were saying she is Fi dom, is that in MBTI?

Yes that would be mbti. Socionics gives a more coherent image of the infp compared to my experience with them. When you think of the classical mbti infp you may think of a somewhat shy bookworm or an oversensitive drama kid in the negative sense. Often tho as my experience has shown, they are an irrational powerhouse of criticism, which is quiet unresting. Plus that if you see a healthy infp, you always see that they are very sociable. You do notice that they are introverted and do judge things subjectively but besides that being in the vicinity of their families or very long and deep emotional bond friends is the most fun for them, where they bloom the most. That does put them quite fitting in beta quadra, delta as in EII I dont see for her. Regarding wisdom, I am even wiser :D

Entropic

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I would disagree with this, at least for myself. Big gatherings get too overwhelming in general. Whenever I plan something, which is rare, I'm only going to call up people I want to be there. For one of my recent birthday dinners, I hand-picked the people I wanted to come, which were my siblings and several friends, and that's it. Even my parents weren't invited. I didn't want any awkwardness or weird dynamics. I wanted good company and good discussion, i.e. a positive, fun atmosphere. And that's what I got. I'd be pissed if one of them dragged along another person uninvited.

And that party you described...I'd be sneaking out early too. I hate parties like that.

Yeah, but you're an introvert. I think extroverts care more about the bigger the better (fairly sure one of my friend's friend is an ESE or EIE and her birthday party was pretty much like that as well). And you're Si valuing so it makes sense you'd leave that party too for pretty much the same reasons I cited as well.

[MENTION=16406]Faceless Beauty[/MENTION] how is my Se PoLR showing, sunshine? :heart:

I also wanted to add a general point that I didn't identify with my quadra at all at first when I read up on quadras either because the delta quadra description is heavily biased towards Si and Te and words such as "production" and "work" are being thrown around without truly explaining what they mean. I actually identified least with the delta quadra description, the most with beta and then alpha in that order because I thought the artistic and part dramatic part of the beta description sounded more like me. Another example of what happens when you throw such terminology around as well without explaining with it means because beta drama is definitely very different to what I imagined drama to be as I was thinking dramatic in the more classical sense of the word that made sense for me due to my strong 4 influence.

So yeah, maybe time to sign up on wikisocion and fix that?

Faceless Beauty

Transient
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
9w8
[MENTION=16405]LeaT[/MENTION], you're sunshine. I'm anything but sunshine. :p

But I agree that on the whole, the quadra descriptions can use some work. As for describing your Se PoLR, I'll come back to that one.

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Wow thanks for this. I can see by the negatives of what Gamma "rejects" why so many insist I'm an ESFp Gamma instead of an ISFp Alpha. I tend to embrace the realistic, confrontational interaction if its necessary, and become extremely frustrated with theoretical speculation that has nothing to do with facts/reality.

Great link. Thanks.

Hi conflictor! :hi: :D

Actually, I find that SLE, ESI, LSI, and even my supposed dual ESE tend to rub me more the wrong way than my supposed SEE conflictor. I know a couple of SEE people that repel me though. No not you, you're cool in my book.

I suppose it's possible I've mistyped myself but over on the socionics forum, the general consensus was LII and I do relate to most of the description. I think LII fits best but I have considered EII,

Quadra wise I'm having trouble deciding if I'm more alpha or delta. I lean ever so slightly towards alpha at this moment, which is consistent with LII. For one thing, unlike you, I don't embrace the realistic, confrontational interaction with others. I can do it if needed be, but it's by no means natural or comfortable for me. Second, I can speculate on theoretical things until the cows come home. For example, I discover a new theory like socionics, and before you know it, it takes over my mind and I tend to try to want to relate EVERYTHING to socionics. I have occasionally try to come back down to earth and say to myself "it's just a goddam theory." So that's why I think I'm alpha NT. Plus I'm quite introverted, so that means LII.

However, I'm far more serious than most alpha's are. I think though that being a rational and introverted type, makes me more serious in comparison to the other three alpha types. Regarding social groups, I relate to the Fi style seen in gamma and delta more. Again, maybe being an introvert has some influence on this. I prefer quieter, smaller groups rather than louder more boisterous ones.

I've had a hard time figuring out my socionics type. EII sounds like MBTI INFP e9 and IEI sounds like INFJ e4. So I feel stuck between them. And the functions don't help much, because they don't align with Jung, and I keep finding conflicting ideas of what they are in socionics.

As for quadras, I thought Delta might be closer to my style in that I'm serious, but then I looked at serious/merry distinctions & it stopped being as clear cut as I thought. I like a certain amount of absurdity & melodrama, which I contain because it's misunderstood in most contexts. So I haven't ruled out Beta yet either. It's hard to tell since I'm not very sociable over all.

But the intertype relations aspect of socionics keeps me wondering... MBTI doesn't cover that much.

Yeah, I'm kind of torn between quadras myself. For me it's between alpha and delta. I'm pretty sure I value Si and Ne. What's more confusing is whether or not I value Ti/Fe or Fi/Te more. Reading function descriptions, it seems like I value Ti and Fi but there's no quadra for that.

I view merry and serious as related to Fe and Fi respectively and I think it's easier if you view it this way. Merry types prefer open displays of emotion because it sustains the group atmosphere and I think an important aspect is how merry just like Fe, is inclusive. They seek people to become a part of the group as a collective experience because if you are an outsider you kind of ruin the atmosphere. This is the most emphasized among betas and somewhat among alphas.

I like a good group atmosphere but I kind of disagree with the notion that outsiders ruin it. If an outsider, wanted to join in, I'd accomodate the outsider, maybe changing the topic of discussion or suggesting an activity the outsider would be interested in. Also open to splitting into smaller groups, which is what gamma/delta is more inclined to do.

Then serious as related to Fi is rather the opposite, it's exclusive. Fi types gravitate towards less open displays of emotion especially when it comes to jokes, teasing and laughter. Furthermore, group participation is not expected as Fi types always gravitate towards those they find interesting talking to at the very moment due to shared interests, interesting conversation topics going on and so on. So indeed, merry and serious are noted the best in group settings.

I like joking, gentle teasing, and laughter but I definitely don't like it, if it ends up offending or making people uncomfortable. This is why heavily beta groups in particular can turn me off. Sometimes, they are too obnoxious and take the jokes too far. I also gravitate towards those who appear to be interesting to talk to, who might have similar interests.

It's rather easy to figure out as well because if you're the kind of person who rather just speak to a few people you know well and share your interests at a social gathering with many involved you are most likely a serious type, especially if loud laughter and jokes annoy you as well. If you're the kind of person who seeks inclusiveness when it comes to group participation and thinks that open expression of emotions and such is necessary and if it ruins the group atmosphere without it, you're probably merry.

I kind of lean towards serious in terms of group interaction but I'm not opposed to loud laughter and jokes. Only if they are offensive jokes or if too much of the humor relies on "inside jokes" so that outsiders or even newer group members end up feeling distanced. I prefer fewer to many but this could just be the introversion talking. I like some open expression of emotions- it's no fun if everyone is stoic but at the same time, too much emotional effusiveness puts me off guard as well as people spilling their life stories to people they barely know.

I also think that alphas and betas are the ones being the most likely to throw big social gatherings as well rather than small ones. Gamma and delta types only really invite those they truly care about or have a personal interest in. Alphas and betas will be more like "bring all your friends, your brothers and sisters and their friends" kind of thing.

I tend to relate more to gamma/delta again as well. I mostly invite only the people I care about and occasionally people I feel kind of obligated to invite. For example, if I was inviting a close friend, I'd probably invite their spouse as well even if I didn't know the spouse. But I wouldn't be the sort to just have friends invite all their friends, etc. Gets too big and too chaotic.

Again, I'm wondering if my relating more delta/gamma styles of social interaction in spite of self-typing as LII (an alpha type) is due to my strong introversion. I wonder if other introverted alphas and betas feel the same way and feel more at ease with smaller, lower-key groups?

Then again, I suppose it's possible, I've mistyped myself. I've also considered EII and ILI as possibilities.

I do think I'm more of a logical type. I'm not exactly skilled at the feeling type stuff the way socionics describes. I also, don't see myself as being a gamma, which ILI is. I'm pretty sure I value Si/Ne.

Thought about that already and I think the socionics quadras relate like this to each Harry Potter house:
Slytherin gamma
Ravenclaw delta
Hufflepuff alpha SF in particular
Gryffindor beta ST in particular

I identify with Ravenclaw the most with Hufflepuff a close second.
I admire Gryffindor's but I'm not really brave enough for them.
I don't relate much at all to Slytherin.

I think Ravenclaw would be LII, ILI, maybe some of the quieter ILEs and some EIIs
Hufflepuff, I think alpha SF works, also some EIIs and SLIs
I think beta ST could be either Slytherin or Gryffindor

Entropic

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I like a good group atmosphere but I kind of disagree with the notion that outsiders ruin it. If an outsider, wanted to join in, I'd accomodate the outsider, maybe changing the topic of discussion or suggesting an activity the outsider would be interested in. Also open to splitting into smaller groups, which is what gamma/delta is more inclined to do.

You misunderstood. What I meant is the presence of someone who does clearly not wish to participate in the group.
I like joking, gentle teasing, and laughter but I definitely don't like it, if it ends up offending or making people uncomfortable. This is why heavily beta groups in particular can turn me off. Sometimes, they are too obnoxious and take the jokes too far. I also gravitate towards those who appear to be interesting to talk to, who might have similar interests.

Agreed.
I kind of lean towards serious in terms of group interaction but I'm not opposed to loud laughter and jokes. Only if they are offensive jokes or if too much of the humor relies on "inside jokes" so that outsiders or even newer group members end up feeling distanced. I prefer fewer to many but this could just be the introversion talking. I like some open expression of emotions- it's no fun if everyone is stoic but at the same time, too much emotional effusiveness puts me off guard as well as people spilling their life stories to people they barely know.

I tend to relate more to gamma/delta again as well. I mostly invite only the people I care about and occasionally people I feel kind of obligated to invite. For example, if I was inviting a close friend, I'd probably invite their spouse as well even if I didn't know the spouse. But I wouldn't be the sort to just have friends invite all their friends, etc. Gets too big and too chaotic.

Again, I'm wondering if my relating more delta/gamma styles of social interaction in spite of self-typing as LII (an alpha type) is due to my strong introversion. I wonder if other introverted alphas and betas feel the same way and feel more at ease with smaller, lower-key groups?
No, I think you're just an introvert. I was describing the quadras in very broad terms as a whole.
Then again, I suppose it's possible, I've mistyped myself. I've also considered EII and ILI as possibilities.

Fail to see the Fi.
I identify with Ravenclaw the most with Hufflepuff a close second.
I admire Gryffindor's but I'm not really brave enough for them.
I don't relate much at all to Slytherin.
I relate in this order: Slytherin, Ravenclaw, Gryffindor, Hufflepuff

I think Ravenclaw would be LII, ILI, maybe some of the quieter ILEs and some EIIs
Hufflepuff, I think alpha SF works, also some EIIs and SLIs
I think beta ST could be either Slytherin or Gryffindor
I do think any type can fit in any house but if just judging house values and how it overlaps with quadra, I think something like I already outlined.

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
You misunderstood. What I meant is the presence of someone who does clearly not wish to participate in the group.

If they don't want to participate, that's their choice. I don't like pressuring people into doing things they don't want to do. Maybe that's just my vulnerable Se talking.

Faceless Beauty

Transient
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
9w8
If they don't want to participate, that's their choice. I don't like pressuring people into doing things they don't want to do. Maybe that's just my vulnerable Se talking.

And here we just displayed how the aristocratic interpretation of things clashes with the democratic one. [MENTION=16405]LeaT[/MENTION] good job. You too, such Irony. :wink:

Entropic

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
And here we just displayed how the aristocratic interpretation of things clashes with the democratic one. [MENTION=16405]LeaT[/MENTION] good job. You too, such Irony. :wink:

Explain sunshine? :heart:

Faceless Beauty

Transient
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
9w8
Explain sunshine? :heart:

Well here goes nothing:

You said that SI was misunderstanding what you meant by outsiders ruining the fun. The fact that you even referred to someone who does not want to participate in collective activities as an "outsider" gives an air of having a "this person is different because they don't associate with or have similarities with members of this group" mentality that is associated with the two aristocratic quadra than the other ones.

I view merry and serious as related to Fe and Fi respectively and I think it's easier if you view it this way. Merry types prefer open displays of emotion because it sustains the group atmosphere and I think an important aspect is how merry just like Fe, is inclusive. They seek people to become a part of the group as a collective experience because if you are an outsider you kind of ruin the atmosphere. This is the most emphasized among betas and somewhat among alphas.

Also the emphasis on collectivism within groups also suggests more views associated with aristocratic values, and projecting the perception of the idea inclusiveness onto all Fe types more or less. Desire to share a collective experience is not the same thing as generating a pleasant atmosphere. Now in SI's approach to the group interaction discussion, for him it was more of an, "oh if the person doesn't want to join in on the fun, that's okay too" mentality. Despite him approving of maintaining a certain atmosphere social-wise, he did not explain things in terms of outsider vs insiders and focused more on respecting or acknowledging the wishes of the individual more or less.

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Well here goes nothing:

You said that SI was misunderstanding what you meant by outsiders ruining the fun. The fact that you even referred to someone who does not want to participate in collective activities as an "outsider" gives an air of having a "this person is different because they don't associate with or have similarities with members of this group" mentality that is associated with the two aristocratic quadra than the other ones.

Also the emphasis on collectivism within groups also suggests more views associated with aristocratic values, and projecting the perception of the idea inclusiveness onto all Fe types more or less. Desire to share a collective experience is not the same thing as generating a pleasant atmosphere. Now in SI's approach to the group interaction discussion, for him it was more of an, "oh if the person doesn't want to join in on the fun, that's okay too" mentality. Despite him approving of maintaining a certain atmosphere social-wise, he did not explain things in terms of outsider vs insiders and focused more on respecting or acknowledging the wishes of the individual more or less.
l

Interesting. I never thought of it in terms of aristocratic/democratic. Of the two, I relate to democratic much more, which suggests I'm alpha rather than delta. Given a choice, I prefer pleasant atmosphere to collective experience.

And by the way, I'm a 'she'. Common mistake people make, being a female MBTI INTP/socionics INTj/LII

To a large extent, socionics encourages people to think in terms of in- and out-groups, merely by pointing out the differences among the quadras. So I don't think making references to insiders, outsiders, and group participation is really the best indication of aristocratic or democratic preferences, if only because people reading up on this stuff have already been primed to think in terms of groups and group identity.

Faceless Beauty

Transient
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
9w8
l

Interesting. I never thought of it in terms of aristocratic/democratic. Of the two, I relate to democratic much more, which suggests I'm alpha rather than delta. Given a choice, I prefer pleasant atmosphere to collective experience.

And by the way, I'm a 'she'. Common mistake people make, being a female MBTI INTP/socionics INTj/LII

Alpha NT reading confirmed. :)
I think the way you handle group things and make sense of them was pretty self explanatory.

Faceless Beauty

Transient
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
9w8
To a large extent, socionics encourages people to think in terms of in- and out-groups, merely by pointing out the differences among the quadras. So I don't think making references to insiders, outsiders, and group participation is really the best indication of aristocratic or democratic preferences, if only because people reading up on this stuff have already been primed to think in terms of groups and group identity.

In terms of in and out groups? How so?

But the main difference between democratic and aristocratic quadras is in their what determines their perceptions of people. Aristocrats have a tendency to identify people in relation to the groups they associate with or groups they fit into (She's in drama club, he's a jock, etc.), while democrats tend identify people mostly by the specific traits or qualities they possess and focus more on the individual (She's cute, he's smart, etc.). That doesn't mean that democrats don't participate in groups, and that aristocrats are always in them.

In terms of in and out groups? How so?

But the main difference between democratic and aristocratic quadras is in their what determines their perceptions of people. Aristocrats have a tendency to identify people in relation to the groups they associate with or groups they fit into (She's in drama club, he's a jock, etc.), while democrats tend identify people mostly by the specific traits or qualities they possess and focus more on the individual (She's cute, he's smart, etc.). That doesn't mean that democrats don't participate in groups, and that aristocrats are always in them.

No, I realize that people identify with groups and categorizing things and people to different extents ... I'm just saying that using it as a test to type people when they're already thinking about something as group-based as socionics isn't very reliable.

I mean, if this were taken too literally, then anyone who was ever interested in typing anyone or attaching a socionics label to them would be an aristocrat. I don't know. Maybe I'm chasing something illusory here.

:butterflee: