• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Socionics is BAD

ICUP

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm not just talking about Psychological Types, but his ideas as a whole. It seemed like he had been working a lot of philosophy out from a more detached point, from an early age. "The years when I was pursuing my inner images were the most important of my life - in them, everything essential was decided. It all began then; the later details were only supplements and clarifications of the material that burst forth from the unconscious, and at first, swamped me. It was the prima materia for a life's work." Memories, Dreams, and Reflections pg 225 (hey look, a citation. I'm getting better at this).

Some ISTP's deal with inner-images and revelationary periods as well. This excerpt doesn't prove detachment.
I mostly stayed in the house for two solid years because I was so overcome by images and revelations..... lol..... Yes, I know how being swamped feels.
Many introverts go through similar experiences, so I don't see how this could build a case for a type.

KDude

Some ISTP's deal with inner-images and revelationary periods as well. This excerpt doesn't prove detachment.

A whole early period of life though is pretty extreme.

I had some revelatory periods too. But they were aided by LSD. And staring at rotten tomatoes, while listening to Barry Manilow...

Nevermind.

ICUP

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
A whole early period of life though is pretty extreme.

I had some revelatory periods too. But they were aided by LSD. And staring at rotten tomatoes, while listening to Barry Manilow...

Mine were not. Many introverts of any type carry inner images, and have revelationary periods. That's what some istp's do when they are alone, is think about happenings and make judgements and draw theories on meaning. Sometimes it just hits you and all comes flooding in at once...... thank goodness for me.

My point being that some people are more complicated than any description can cover, and Carl Jung is one of those people. That's why it's ridiculous for one to believe they can type him as simply as people try to do to David Lee Roth, for example.

Little_Sticks

I'd really like to talk with you about this, but there are so many problems with talking about typology that I feel like even trying makes me a fool.

1. You've got people arguing innate behavior versus conditioned behavior, which is philosophically oppositional to each other if you refuse to accept that they both can exist, which creates a paradox.

People don't care about answering questions like:
What should be considered innate and why?
What is often considered to be conditioning and why?

2. An abstract concept such as the functions can be interpreted within many different contexts of point 1 above. And these contexts can be in complete opposition to each other, where each person will assert that their contextual understanding is somehow better.

One person might see that Fe has more to do with people being moody, whereas another might know a more stable Fe user that uses Fe to boost their well-being and others. Neither is necessarily biased or wrong until we talk about what things are innate and what are a result of conditioning.

3. People use number 2 to justify using multiple typology systems at once, while asserting that they should not be combined or confused between each other when that's a bit of a contradiction.

For instance, if a theory starts to focus more on evaluations of behavior over innate cognitive thinking and vice versa, then suddenly we get a split in what people believe should be what. And if you try to talk about either within the context of the other, people treat you as if you're ignorant, when you're more knowledgeable than them. And this can make some knowledgeable people think they don't know anything or think it isn't worth discussing anything because no one will listen.

4. All systems of typology have to have some axioms that support it. If a theory doesn't discuss openly the limitations that their axioms can place on thought, but instead focuses on what it hopes to achieve while ignoring criticism with circular reasoning, it becomes intellectually dishonest and supports a self-fulfilling belief in the typology.

For instance, this creates groups of people that start to believe they know more than they do and will be unwilling to listen to or consider criticism. This freaking sucks because nothing you say or do will end up being constructive. It also means that even though a typology system may be based on empirical evidence, there are ways it will be questionable or have problems, even or perhaps especially, if your name is Carl Jung or you invented MBTI loosely based on Jung without knowing the limitations of the axioms to begin with.

5. Jung said a lot of things. He changed his mind at times. He was contradictory at times. He explained his axioms as processes that occurred in people, some processes that we are all technically capable of, and some processes that are more thought to be innately structured.

Until people understand enough, they can't get past using things that he's said as some sort of definitive fact or way to ignore people that know more than them when they should be learning. But who can blame with problems 1 through 4 already in place.

6. A lot of people can't grasp that there is a philosophical structure of the functions that Jung based his empirical processes on.

It makes it ludicrous to talk to anyone that thinks two systems of typology that use these same basic Jungian principles can be valid, but can define them completely differently from Jung, ignoring most or all of what Jung said, and asserting that Jung is invalid, incompatible, or a weak system of thought. It's like stealing the basic conceptual plans for the combustion engine and using it to build an electric car and still claiming that it's a combustion engine - it's completely absurd.

adklfjsaldjfsdfdkfjaskldfjsdgasdf

edit:
7. Some people really don't care if they are biased and don't want to take this seriously at all.

Self-explanatory.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
"6. A lot of people can't grasp that there is a philosophical structure of the functions that Jung based his empirical processes on."

Perhaps a lot of people can grasp this, but they aren't aware of this.

I've mentioned Kant as a Jung predecessor on this forum, at least stylistically if not in terms of the a priori conditions of human psychology.

So I hope you weren't referring to yours truly at point 6.

wildcat

MBTI Type
INTP
It's easy to castigate something as "bad" based on one aspect, even a minor one. With Socionics, it is the "typing by face" aspect. Typing by face is an unproven method of typology. But it isn't specific to Socionics, and in fact I've known some Enneagrammists to base e-type on facial features.

Socionics has done something right, however; and that is, to change the nomenclature by which types are named. INTP in Socionics theory is INTj. This is the way things are going anyway, even in MBTI circles. The J is nothing more than to place dominance on Thinking. Every dominant F/T type gets a j, and every dominant S/N type gets pegged with a p.

This effectively eliminates all descriptive content from the labels P and J which traditionally mean perceiving and judging as well as a slew of other things. For some, Se has even been limited to merely "looking." Such confusion has arisen from this function talk that even an intellectual such as Carl Jung is considered by some - an ISTP, as if he were some motorcycle mechanic or something.

So the way things are going, the Socionics labeling system may as well be adopted. At least we can see from its nomenclature that a Ti is not only a thinker and an introvert, but is also judging in accordance with those thoughts, as according to the idea of what is logical and what is not logical.

Complemention is the key.
Look directly.

IE
NS
TF
PJ

ESFJ is the complementary party of INTP.
Socionics does not complement.

What comes around, goes around.
A double standard does not loci.

TF is only about TF.
It is not about NS.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Complemention is the key.
Look directly.

IE
NS
TF
PJ

ESFJ is the complementary party of INTP.
Socionics does not complement.

What comes around, goes around.
A double standard does not loci.

TF is only about TF.
It is not about NS.

"Loci" is not a verb.

G

garbage

Doesn't the fourth category describe lifestyle? Isn't that how Myers-Briggs developed it?
Yeah, I don't remember.. I can't be assed to recall the specific terms that MBTI and Socionics use, but the former boils down to treatment of the outside world and the latter to attitude. The point is a return to a discussion of what the fourth dichotomy should reflect.

5. Jung said a lot of things. He changed his mind at times. He was contradictory at times. He explained his axioms as processes that occurred in people, some processes that we are all technically capable of, and some processes that are more thought to be innately structured.

Until people understand enough, they can't get past using things that he's said as some sort of definitive fact or way to ignore people that know more than them when they should be learning. But who can blame with problems 1 through 4 already in place.

Thank you, for your post and for this point especially. I'll never know why such a flowy, meandering work is taken as scientific gospel rather than simply a decent stab at a description of the psyche.

Jung's ideas are out there. MBTI's and Socionics's reinterpretations differ in some way from each other and from the original ideas.

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I understand Socionics wanting to go back to the original meaning of dominant function for the fourth dichotomy, but I think they (F&D?) should have used something other than j/p, to avoid confusion. Like "R" for Jung's original; "rational", and perhaps "A" for "a-rational".

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yeah, I don't remember.. I can't be assed to recall the specific terms that MBTI and Socionics use, but the former boils down to treatment of the outside world and the latter to attitude. The point is a return to a discussion of what the fourth dichotomy should reflect.

Thank you for just now showing us that the original MBTI has been forgotten and replaced with Jungian analysis, with the original MBTI lettering system kept in place perhaps out of tradition.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
Type codes should be just written like this:

INTP= TiN
ENTP= NeT
ENFP= NeF
ESFJ= FeS
INTJ= NiT
ISFJ= SiF

Etc etc

G

garbage

Thank you for just now showing us that the original MBTI has been forgotten and replaced with Jungian analysis, with the original MBTI lettering system kept in place perhaps out of tradition.

People were completely misunderstanding you at the beginning of this very thread because they didn't pay attention to the whole of what you actually wrote. Please don't pay that sentiment forward.

My points in this thread also have a habit of being lost, so I'll be more clear. My point in this post is that the conclusion you drew from my last post was not the point I was making.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Type codes should be just written like this:

INTP= TiN
ENTP= NeT
ENFP= NeF
ESFJ= FeS
INTJ= NiT
ISFJ= SiF

Etc etc

What about those who don't use this modern Latin alphabet? Are they forced to learn it so they can understand these lettering systems?

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
And MBTI isn't?

I'm not comparing apples to oranges here. That would go beyond my thesis of the moment. As my argument goes: Socionics is "bad." But it is not ALL "bad." Socionics has developed a superior nomenclature that looks like that of the MBTI. The MBTI itself is turning more and more back toward Jungian function analysis. It's theory is beginning to look more like Socionics, but its lettering nomenclature has stayed with traditional MBTI. Therefore, considering the Jungian interpretation these days, the MBTI may as well adopt the Socionics lettering nomenclature (viz., the small j and p).

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Typing by face, known as Visual Identification, is not actually part of mainstream 'Classical' Socionics. It is mostly upheld by Sergei Ganin on his offshoot site, unfortunately named www.socionics.com.

Socionics improves on MBTI in numerous areas, it's more comprehensive, includes values as well as strengths and weaknesses, has theories on inter-type compatibility, YES solves that whole IxxJ IxxP issue etc. It just has a lot of crazy people with crazy theories that people confuse with Socionics proper. There's one person who tries to type you based on what colours you like.

Without these setbacks, Socionics would have become a lot more well known in the West than it has so far.

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I just don't understand the differences in mbi functions vs socionics ones. I always get as INFp but don't get why I'm Ni/Fe when I dont relate to those functions based on the definitions I know them by. also I think the descriptions are all poorly translated Russian which doesn't help matters. and yeah the photo typing is stupid, especially since the drawings are all based on Russian faces. although I do look a little similar to the IEI drawing.. but I'm also of eastern European ancestry.

Socionics Ni and Fe (I try to call them Ii and Ee to avoid confusion with MBTI) don't work the same way as their MBTI variants.

Try this profile: http://www.sociotype.com/socionics/types/IEI-INFp/

Here's Introverted Intuition in Socionics: http://www.wikisocion.org/en/index.php?title=Introverted_intuition

Here's Extroverted Ethics in Socionics: http://www.wikisocion.org/en/index.php?title=Extraverted_ethics