• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Socionics is BAD

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
>Does anybody know where functions are discussed in Socionics theory?
i like this site well enough:
http://www.wikisocion.org/
search for labels like LSI

That's the sucky part about it. LSI, LII, LSD, all that confusing nomenclature pretty much repels me from getting into this.

nanook

a scream in a vortex
people never believe the truth anyway. find out by yourself.

>confusing nomenclature

yeah, takes a while, but it's an elegant system, you can deduce/derivate(whatever) all the names once you understood/analysed the principle of the names.

LSI= T(dom. function) S(secondary function) I( (intro-)version of dom. function) = Ti S(e)

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
people never believe the truth anyway. find out by yourself.

>confusing nomenclature

yeah, takes a while, but it's an elegant system, you can deduce/derivate(whatever) all the names once you understood/analysed the principle of the names.

I know there is a principle there and all that. So I know ABOUT that half you speak of. It's just too much work. Like the APS, a beautiful system that would be a headache to slice and dice.

nanook

a scream in a vortex
haha :) nope. the truth is far out there. not in the books. (i have spelled it out a couple of times though, i'd imagine FDG might have said similar things caus i remember him/her agreeing with me - hope i dont confuse the username)

okay the half i mean is about "the way things are going anyway". and as a part of that it's about why things are the way they are.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The idea of having to type the name Augustinavičiūtė (which I conveniently copy and pasted here) doesn't exactly thrill me.

It may be a marvelous theory - in theory.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
haha :) nope. the truth is far out there. not in the books. (i have spelled it out a couple of times though, i'd imagine FDG might have said similar things caus i remember him/her agreeing with me - hope i dont confuse the username)

okay the half i mean is about "the way things are going anyway". and as a part of that it's about why things are the way they are.

So it involves a great deal of esoterica.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
"Association with nonscientific systems

Nonacademic fields, for example religious and other non-scientific systems, are frequently addressed in socionics publications. For instance, the International Institute of Socionics in Kiev, Ukraine has published articles containing speculative comparisons between socionics and esoteric, new age, and Hindu philosophy. Similarly, members of the Socionics Scientific Research Institute in Moscow, Russia have drawn comparisons between the chakras, Hinduism, and socionics. Finally, a review of abstracts of articles published in the socionics journal reveals that protoscientific, pseudoscientific and esoteric topics such as synergetics, cybernetics, world religions, new age teachings, homeopathy, astrology, cosmology, meridians, chakras, tarot cards, energy resonance, neuro-linguistic programming, etc. have been discussed, speculated upon, compared, hypothesized, and applied within the context of socionics."

So there is Eastern mysticism. Nothing ponderous about that really. I would expect it from Russia.

KDude

Wikisocion or http://www.socionics.us/ are good starts. The first is community run, the second is run by an American who learned it while in Russia. Socionics.com has some funny stuff, but a lot of it is just the brainchild of the site runner (Sergei Ganin).

Socionics has always used LSI/SLI/SEI/etc.. It was never an offshoot of MBTI. It was developed almost in tandem, with no knowledge from Myers (and no knowledge of Augusta, on Myers' part). You can't really blame it for what it's not.

The Socionics.com writer (Sergei Ganin) was the first to start a website in the West, I think. He used the MBTI jargon for types as a way to help people who were already familiar with that system.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Wikisocion or http://www.socionics.us/ are good starts. The first is community run, the second is run by an American who learned it while in Russia. Socionics.com has some funny stuff, but a lot of it is just the brainchild of the site runner (Sergei Ganin).

Socionics has always used LSI/SLI/SEI/etc.. It was never an offshoot of MBTI. It was developed almost in tandem, with no knowledge from Myers (and no knowledge of Augusta, on Myers' part). You can't really blame it for what it's not.

The Socionics.com writer (Sergei Ganin) was the first to start a website in the West, I think. He used the MBTI jargon for types as a way to help people who were already familiar with that system.

Thanks for that. The deeper I go into this topic, the more it becomes kryptonite to me. Not tonight.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
Tell me one thing. Whats wrong about deciding the J in type code based on relation to external world instead just dom function? The way MBTI does it is far superior on many things.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Tell me one thing. Whats wrong about deciding the J in type code based on relation to external world instead just dom function? The way MBTI does it is far superior on many things.

I'm not disagreeing with either method of using J or P. But the way people are thinking nowadays about functions sounds more like Socionics nomenclature. It is Socionics, technically speaking.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
I'm not disagreeing with either method of using J or P. But the way people are thinking nowadays about functions sounds more like Socionics nomenclature. It is Socionics, technically speaking.

What makes you say that? I really dont see that..

lunalum

Super Senior Member
MBTI Type
ZNTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
You pick strange titles for your topics :tongue:

It's easy to castigate something as "bad" based on one aspect, even a minor one. With Socionics, it is the "typing by face" aspect. Typing by face is an unproven method of typology. But it isn't specific to Socionics, and in fact I've known some Enneagrammists to base e-type on facial features.

Yeah that was getting annoying for a while when there was all that stuff trashing socionics just because of the face typing thing. I'm very skeptical of face typing too but that has almost nothing to do with socionics as a whole.

Socionics has done something right, however; and that is, to change the nomenclature by which types are named. INTP in Socionics theory is INTj. This is the way things are going anyway, even in MBTI circles. The J is nothing more than to place dominance on Thinking. Every dominant F/T type gets a j, and every dominant S/N type gets pegged with a p.

Not only this, but the 'functions' themselves are defined a little differently.... they're less simplified and some of it seems to retain more of a Jungian essence. But then socionics does also seem to stray into behavioral stuff...

The socionics j/p is good for highlighting the perceiveryness of Pi types and whatnot, but then it also misses their outwardly judginess. So whichever system you use, you are missing a little of something.

For some, Se has even been limited to merely "looking." Such confusion has arisen from this function talk that even an intellectual such as Carl Jung is considered by some - an ISTP, as if he were some motorcycle mechanic or something.

Wait what? Agreed on the ridiculous simplication of Se but who is it that's saying that Jung was like a motorcycle mechanic?

That's the sucky part about it. LSI, LII, LSD, all that confusing nomenclature pretty much repels me from getting into this.

It's really not complicated.... it's even cutting it down to three letters

The cool thing though is that you don't even have to use letters and world languages with socionics, there are pretty shapes you can use to communicate the same things. Ta-da! The letter problem and the language barrier gone! (If only I had shapes on my keyboard....there's probably somewhere you can copypaste them from)

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
You pick strange titles for your topics :tongue:

Thanks.

Yeah that was getting annoying for a while when there was all that stuff trashing socionics just because of the face typing thing. I'm very skeptical of face typing too but that has almost nothing to do with socionics as a whole.

That's what I said up front in the OP.

Not only this, but the 'functions' themselves are defined a little differently.... they're less simplified and some of it seems to retain more of a Jungian essence. But then socionics does also seem to stray into behavioral stuff...

The socionics j/p is good for highlighting the perceiveryness of Pi types and whatnot, but then it also misses their outwardly judginess. So whichever system you use, you are missing a little of something.

Is the Ti type really perceptive?

Wait what? Agreed on the ridiculous simplication of Se but who is it that's saying that Jung was like a motorcycle mechanic?

It was just a little technique called 'reductio ad absurdum.' If Jung was an ISTP, then why was he such an NT type of writer and not an ST type of - you tell me. But professions listed for the ISTP include things like graphical design, which makes sense.

It's really not complicated.... it's even cutting it down to three letters

Agreed, it gets simpler with a little effort. It would be easier to say that the I/E always goes last, as in LII being Logical Intuitive Introrim. And you messed up on the Extrorim.

L-Logical (aka thinking)
S-Sensing
I (not as last letter)- Intuitive
I (as last letter)-Introrim (introvert)
E(not as last letter)-Ethical (aka feeling)
E(not as last letter)-Extrorim (aka extravert)

(correct if I got something wrong there)

I did!

The cool thing though is that you don't even have to use letters and world languages with socionics, there are pretty shapes you can use to communicate the same things. Ta-da! The letter problem and the language barrier gone! (If only I had shapes on my keyboard....there's probably somewhere you can copypaste them from)

A universal typology language: who knew?

KDude

It was just a little technique called 'reductio ad absurdum.' If Jung was an ISTP, then why was he such an NT type of writer and not an ST - you name it. Professions listed for the ISTP include things like graphical design, which makes sense.

It might make a little sense, but people aren't gimped just because of a type. We're all human beings, first and foremost.

I guess this boils down to how big of a deal you want to make of Type itself. Personally, I just think of it as Preferences. And just a model of the world of personalities. Not the actual world of personalities, which is far more dynamic and varied. It might urge things in a general direction that would include things like graphical design (among hundreds of similar things), but even Myers herself thought it was incorrect to single out careers for people. She was appalled that people were even using her system to hire and fire employees.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It might make a little sense, but people aren't gimped just because of a type. We're all human beings, first and foremost.

I guess this boils down to how big of a deal you want to make of Type itself. Personally, I just think of it as Preferences. And just a model of the world of personalities. Not the actual world of personalities, which is far more dynamic and varied. It might urge things in a general direction that would include things like graphical design (among hundreds of similar things), but even Myers herself thought it was incorrect to single out careers for people. She was appalled that people were even using her system to hire and fire employees.

That's different. But she wanted it to be used for career decision-making. I agree that it doesn't have to lock me into a set of similar professions. It's just a method for helping decide on a general career path that's been blown way out of proportion.