• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Socionics

Ezra

Luctor et emergo
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I personally prefer this theory to MBTT.

It's more logical and consistent, and if people are interested in why I believe this, I will explain.

Has anyone else heard of it, and if so, what are your opinions of it?

Here's the wiki. There's also an entire wiki site dedicated to furthering western understanding of socionics (it's an Eastern European creation).

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I like socionics, too. It's much more related to Jung's original ideas.

People tend to dismiss it because it correlates a person's physical structure with psychological type, having more spiritual connotations. But Jung's original ideas were based more on spirituality than reason. I laugh at all the people here (and other MBTI fansites) who dismiss astrology, even though Jung directly used astrology to form his concepts.

In many ways, the MBTI pisses all over Jung's ideas. The original MBTI never stated how N's were more sophisticated and cultured than S's, that only happened when the FFM correlated the MBTI's N/S dichotomy to the FFM's Openness...the FFM quite bluntly states an N superiority, which thus gave rise to the N snobbery.

MerkW

Two other reasons why Socionics is less popular than MBTI:
1.) It's from Russia, whereas MBTI is from the U.S.
2.) Generally speaking, it is harder for one to determine their Socionics type than it is to determine their MBTI type. Socionics requires a lot of analysis and reading, while MBTI usually only requires a few small tests. Many Americans don't seem to have the patience to spend so much time on reading and self-analysis.

Note: Yes, it is quite unfair that Ns have such a bias. I do think, though, that there are other reasons as to why Ns often look upon Ss with disdain. I think, at least in some cases, a large degree of it comes from the fact that in school, at work, etc. Ns are often seen as bizarre, eccentric, or socially inappropriate to a certain degree by Ss (this applies, I believe even more so to INs than to ENs). As a result, it seems that several Ns often try to feel superior to Ss due to certain mockery and humiliation that Ns had to go through. Regardless, it is still completely unjustified.

proteanmix

Plumage and Moult
Enneagram
1w2
I actually find the socionics ENFJ description a better fit for me than that MBTI version. MBTI ones are too high-minded.

Thanks for the link Ezra! :)

Ezra

Luctor et emergo
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Apparently IXXP = Ixxp, and IXXJ = IXXp, but if you look further into socionics, you will find that it is just not that simple.

Let me give you a rough idea. Socionists found that many people who related most to the INTJ of MBTT related best in socionics to SLE a.k.a. ESTp.

MerkW

Socionists found that many people who related most to the INTJ of MBTT related best in socionics to SLE a.k.a. ESTp.

I have heard of that, but I don't think it's particularly common. I think it's more common for an MBTI ENTJ to relate to an SLE, though. A lot of MBTI INTJs tend to relate most to LIE descriptions (especially LIE-Ni sub), interestingly enough.

Gabe

MBTI Type
ENTP
hmmm. so I looked at a few websites. And I still like the Jung-Von Franz-Beebe direction way better than socionics.

I think it fudges the original jungian description of the cognitive processes significantly. It all seems so freakin codified and regimented. Wheras the original jungian process descriptions bring to mind influential historical figures, social movements, the socionics descriptions are what, squares and triangles? And I can't stand the way they call only feelings ethics, when it seems so obvious to me that it's equally possible to have a thinking-based morality. It also annoys me that they say that some type "is" this and "is" that, even when they're talking about shadow functions. There's no slow, realisation of the shadow. Instead they just pull out some names and some other functions. The whole thing seems like such a rediculously intellectualized thing. Oh, and again, dispite the cut-it-up-into-little-pieces-ness, the cognitive process descriptions are (incorrect), overlapping, and sometimes contradictory.
Honestly, some of the stuff was neat, especially the names of the function-positions. but I still like the Beebe version of that better-it seems like socionics never even talks about the archetypes. And the way Beebe describes the developement of the function archetypes represents much better how I've noticed people 'grow up'.
-it starts the ego-functions but keeps calling all of them weak (?!!!) Is this supposed to be a model on how everyone is 'weak'?
It's confusing.

MerkW

-it starts the ego-functions but keeps calling all of them weak (?!!!) Is this supposed to be a model on how everyone is 'weak'?
It's confusing.

It was probably the Super Ego, and not the ego they were referring to. Your weak functions are the functions you aren't good at using (your Super-Ego and Super-Id functions) If you are an ENFP, this is how Socionics would apply to you:

Taking into account that you are a "beginner," here is a simplified model of your psyche:

Conscious:
1. Ne (Base function: you primary and strongest)
2. Fi (Creative function: helps base function. Not as confident in it, though)
3. Se (Opposite of your base function. Brings you annoyance)
4. Ti (PoLR: This function is your least proficient . It brings you pain)

Subconscious:
5. Si (you greatly admire people who are strong in this function)
6. Te (You need help in this, but not to an excess. It may unknowingly drive many of your actions)
7. Ni (You are strong in this function, yet you use it more on your own than in public)
8. Fe (Strongest subconscious function: You may find it useless, but it controls a great degree of your inner psyche)

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I personally prefer this theory to MBTT.

It's more logical and consistent, and if people are interested in why I believe this, I will explain.

Has anyone else heard of it, and if so, what are your opinions of it?

Here's the wiki. There's also an entire wiki site dedicated to furthering western understanding of socionics (it's an Eastern European creation).

Yes, I've heard of it... in fact I was going to write/post an introduction to it for the people on here, but it got so technical so quickly I worried most people wouldn't be able to follow it and changed my mind.

I don't know what type I am in it... there are some who believe the same functions/order in MBTI make the same type in Socionics, others think the same letters are the same type, and some even think there's not necessarily a consistent correlation between the two systems.

But I seem to test as an LII (INTj) fairly often on Socionics tests, which leads me to suspect there may only be a loose correlation between the two systems.

snegledmaca

I like the idea of the informational metabolism. Personally it makes so much sense. Not entirely sure about the models of psyche I've seen so far.

Also, why haven't the reinin attributes/dichotomies been developed in MBTT? If I'm not mistaken they are derived solely form jung's three dichotomies.

Ezra

Luctor et emergo
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Also, why haven't the reinin attributes/dichotomies been developed in MBTT?

Because they're Russian, and MBTT is American. It would never have worked out between those two.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I just took a little test on the socionics site (don't know how accurate it is - anyone have feedback?)

I initially got this:

E/I choice (E - Extraversion, I - Introversion, x - Undefined)
Normal mode Reversed mode Combined mode
I I I

S/N choice (S - Sensation, N - Intuition, x - Undefined)
N N N

F/T choice (F - Feeling, T - Thinking, x - Undefined)
F F F

J/P choice (j - Judgement, p - Perception, x - Undefined)
conscious unconscious conscious unconscious conscious unconscious
j p j p j p

Scoring factor
0.75 0.72 0.74
The Scoring factor shows how much you are aware of your type and/or the testing procedure. Anything close to and above 0.8 is considered high and could interfere with authenticity of the test outcome.

Summary
INFx INFx INFx
This summarises your type as one of the following (in alphabetical order):

INFj a.k.a. Ethical-Intuitive Intratim "The Empath",
INFp a.k.a. Intuitive-Ethical Intratim "The Romantic".

This result is inconclusive. Revising your selections may produce a conclusive result.

Decider
Click here if... Click here if...
You may often feel the need but find it rather difficult to maintain a steady balance between your physical and spiritual self.

You may often feel the need but find it rather difficult to maintain a steady balance between your intellectual and emotional self.

----------------

When I chose from the two options under 'Decider', I got the following:

INFp Ni,Fe,Ti,Se
If your type is INFp a.k.a. Intuitive-Ethical Intratim "The Romantic", you are confident and concrete regarding your own beliefs and fantasies, creative and inventive regarding how excited others are about you, delicate and insecure regarding your understanding of how things work, and you wish to have a clear perception and consistency regarding your physical strength or position of authority.

.......which would be INFJ

snegledmaca

I just took a little test on the socionics site (don't know how accurate it is - anyone have feedback?)

I'm not sure. I'd say like any test, not reliable enough. I think that in terms of approaching your socionics type you should focus on the usage and preference of the informational elements. And intertype relations.

INFp Ni,Fe,Ti,Se
If your type is INFp a.k.a. Intuitive-Ethical Intratim "The Romantic", you are confident and concrete regarding your own beliefs and fantasies, creative and inventive regarding how excited others are about you, delicate and insecure regarding your understanding of how things work, and you wish to have a clear perception and consistency regarding your physical strength or position of authority.

.......which would be INFJ
Well not quite. That would also make you a beta, a victim, have IP temperament and a whole load of other stuff that is not existent in MBTT.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Well not quite. That would also make you a beta, a victim, have IP temperament and a whole load of other stuff that is not existent in MBTT.

Thanks for the links snegledmaca! I read through them. Interesting!

IP temperament is what I find confusing, as it seems to oppose INFJ, but from what everyone's saying, socionics is complicated, so maybe some day I'll look into it. For now...I don't want to become obsessed with another system!! But I appreciate the links you provided.