• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Socionics vs MBTI

Azseroffs

MBTI Type
ENTj
Enneagram
5w4
I really don't know a lot about socionics, but I was mainly wondering if it is true that Introverts switch The j/p function. In other words, INTP would become INTj while ENTP would stay ENTp in socionics.

What are other key differences between the two assessments?

Costrin

rawr
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
5w4
I really don't a lot about socionics, but I was mainly wondering if it is true that Introverts switch The j/p function. In other words, INTP would become INTj while ENTP would stay ENTp in socionics.

What are other key differences between the two assessments?

Yes and no.

It seems dependant on the individual. Also, basically everything is defined at least slightly differently between the two systems.

Apollanaut

Senior Mugwump
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I tried to figure it out and all I got was a headache! I know lots of people like socionics, but I am not one of them.

My advice: avoid socionics like the plague, or risk cognitive dissonance.

Costrin

rawr
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
5w4
I tried to figure it out and all I got was a headache! I know lots of people like socionics, but I am not one of them.

My advice: avoid socionics like the plague, or risk cognitive dissonance.

Costrin thinks he managed to figure Socionics out, at least to decent level. Yet Costrin must admit he doesn't particularly like the theory.

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
No, they don't switch but don't use your MBTI type to work out your Socionics one, they are defined differently as Costrin said so it's best to start with a blank slate. That said they'll prolly be the same.

maliafee

Socionics was developed completely separate of MBTI, from Jung's theories, in Russia. It was based on observation of married couples, then observation of people in general. The type-relation thing is central to its theory.

Now, the truth is, the types are basically analogous. You don't switch the J/P and that is because Socionics FUNCTIONS themselves mean different things so even though it looks as though if in MBTI you are INFP you would be INFj in Socionics, this is NOT the case. You are an INFp still in Socionics if you're an INFP in MBTI.

Socionics has a lot of validity if you give it a chance, imho.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
The answer is quite obvious, if not easy: they are both bullshit in the end

Azseroffs

MBTI Type
ENTj
Enneagram
5w4

makes sense

upon reading the wikipedia entry for socionics I have come to a conclusion:
I will no longer read about socionics :doh:

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

;)

Also, socionics doesn't like the idea of Introverted-Perceivers leading with a Judging function (T or F), so it labels the types differently. Most INTPs in MBTI come out as INTj in Socionics, but that's not because they act like an MBTI INTJ; it's just labeled differently.

Honestly, I'm not an authority on either, but the externalized behavior-labeling systems don't seem that different.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
;)

Also, socionics doesn't like the idea of Introverted-Perceivers leading with a Judging function (T or F), so it labels the types differently. Most INTPs in MBTI come out as INTj in Socionics, but that's not because they act like an MBTI INTJ; it's just labeled differently.

Honestly, I'm not an authority on either, but the externalized behavior-labeling systems don't seem that different.

You smile at my idea and then you go on talking in propaganda ? You are a kind of smartass aint you ? :D

Azseroffs

MBTI Type
ENTj
Enneagram
5w4
Socionics was developed completely separate of MBTI, from Jung's theories, in Russia. It was based on observation of married couples, then observation of people in general. The type-relation thing is central to its theory.

Now, the truth is, the types are basically analogous. You don't switch the J/P and that is because Socionics FUNCTIONS themselves mean different things so even though it looks as though if in MBTI you are INFP you would be INFj in Socionics, this is NOT the case. You are an INFp still in Socionics if you're an INFP in MBTI.

Socionics has a lot of validity if you give it a chance, imho.

Assuming that types are figured out on the same basic level, it doesn't make sense that MBTI INFP is FiNe while socionics INFp is NiFe. Then on top of that ENFP is NeFi while ENFp is also NeFi.

maybe I just have to look into it more?

maliafee

They're not figured out on the same basic level. The functions are decided differently and have different meanings. But they are fairly analogous. ENTP=ENTp, etc.

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
You smile at my idea and then you go on talking in propaganda ? You are a kind of smartass aint you ? :D

Oh, it wasn't meant that cynically--just an acknowledgement that while this typology stuff is interesting and seems to have (limited) real life implications, it's all ultimately conjectural and shouldn't be taken that seriously.

Just saying that I identify with your perception here, and then responding to the initial question with that caveat in mind.

Apollanaut

Senior Mugwump
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Assuming that types are figured out on the same basic level, it doesn't make sense that MBTI INFP is FiNe while socionics INFp is NiFe. Then on top of that ENFP is NeFi while ENFp is also NeFi.

maybe I just have to look into it more?

Don't do it! It's what they want - they lure you in with the promise of an explanation, then Wham!, it's too late - you're trapped forever. :)

It should carry a health warning:

"Danger! Your head will explode if you try to make sense of our theory!"

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
Oh, it wasn't meant that cynically--just an acknowledgement that while this typology stuff is interesting and seems to have (limited) real life implications, it's all ultimately conjectural and shouldn't be taken that seriously.

Just saying that I identify with your perception here, and then responding to the initial question with that caveat in mind.

Sorry I am drunk. I see things where are noone ;)

Azseroffs

MBTI Type
ENTj
Enneagram
5w4
Don't do it! It's what they want - they lure you in with the promise of an explanation, then Wham!, it's too late - you're trapped forever. :)

It should carry a health warning:

"Danger! Your head will explode if you try to make sense of our theory!"

it's too late I'm already tearing apart whether I'm INTp or INTj, I tested strong INT, weak p. I read both descriptions and sound a little more INTp (I find it funny that it says many INTps type themselves INTj or INTx).

I'm pretty much accepting INTp... now to figure out how the hell I'm NiTe in socionics..
I'm F--ed:doh:

G

garbage

The worst thing anyone ever did was assign MBTI-like lettering to Socionics types. Way to conflate differing definitions of everything, assholes :doh:

That said, here are a few pretty graphics relating the types by correlation:

The table below represents the result of this experiment:
table3.gif

And the next table represents one more result of this experiment. We asked the participants to indicate their own types, and to recognize their own types in these descriptions:
table4.gif

Do these tables represent the real correlation between the socionic types and the Keirsey types? We think they do not. They rather represent characteristic stereotypes of the socionics and the Keirsey typology. To compare these typologies objectively, we will need to test at least several hundreds of persons using both socionic and American methods. But at least we know now for sure that socionics, MBTT and Keirsey, in spite of their common origin from the Jungian typology, are not identical!

the whole thing is one big :doh: anyway