• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Vulnerability of PoLR to abuse

Venus Rose

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Note: I am only speaking of PoLR in context of abuse; I do not mean to imply that any situation that involves the PoLR is automatically about abuse.

PoLR (Point of Least Resistance) is defined thus:

Notes: Point of least resistance (PoLR) is also called vulnerable or painful function. It contains the information aspect that directly opposes the workings of one's creative function. It is also of opposite E/I-version of "Hidden Agenda" (e.g. if one's Hidden Agenda is Fi, then Fe will be the PoLR). Correspondingly, information relayed on this element has the reverse effect of activating function - it deactivates, demobilizes, slows, bores, or shuts one down. Vulnerable function is considered to be 1-dimensional, encompassing only the parameter of experience.

Important to note: Even though there are two sociotypes that share the same PoLR, it will be expressed somewhat differently for each type i.e. the Ne-PoLR of LSI will not manifest quite in the same was as the Ne-PoLR of ESI. Thus it is more appropriate to discuss the PoLR of each type separately rather than treating them in the same manner. If you are reading about Ne-PoLR of LSI it should not be assumed that all of it translates in exactly same manner to the Ne-PoLR of ESI. These types are part of different chains of supervision and benefit in socionics and have different types influencing their PoLRs.

The vulnerable function is also called the Point or Place of Least Resistance (PoLR) or sensitive function. The element in this function creates a feeling of frustration and inadequacy. A person does not understand the importance of this element entirely, and it can easily lead to painful consequences if not adequately considered.

However, to directly engage this function creates feelings of insecurity and distress. One reason why the vulnerable function is so difficult to engage is because three other conscious functions come before it, making this one the most difficult to comprehend. Often an alternative approach may be found from the view of the mobilizing function. Because of the psychological disincentives to using the vulnerable function, people usually try to ignore information related to it, and in extreme cases do so even in situations where it is most relevant. Even with a theoretical understanding of how this element works, it is difficult to turn it into practical norms of behavior. One can "develop" the vulnerable function by recognizing that it is actually important in certain real-life circumstances. Even if the subject recognizes this, he will still usually try to avoid taking responsibility for it himself, or develop a minimalist or non-traditional approach (possibly using other functions) that is enough to satisfy one's own needs. The presence of a dual usually dissolves any concern there might be about how to approach matters of the vulnerable function.

I would also like to add that in my experience there is naiveté and innocence in the realm of the PoLR. For example, an Se PoLR may not be aware of the games people play to gain advantage, further themselves; and as such will not be able to see that, and will consider people honest and straightforward without any intentions or motives towards gaining power. An Fi PoLR may be vulnerable to excessively or undeserved harsh criticism, since Fi is vulnerable and PoLR for them, and they may have difficulty understanding that this is not something they deserve. Those are just some examples, but hopefully that clears up what I meant.

Taking this further, I would like to bring in the theory of dimensions. Your PoLR (along with your suggestive function), is one dimensional. As stated in the first excerpt, you are receptive to your suggestive function, but not receptive to pressure on your PoLR, since this is perceived as painful.

Parameter of experience is a basic parameter for all functions. This is the foundation on which everything else is built (normative, situational, and time parameters).

Experience – is something individual and personal (corresponding to vital and metal blocks) that cannot be transferred to another person. This is the self-perception of a human being. Any moment information is processed the person obtains experience.

A good illustration of this self-perception is an example of sight. We cannot transfer to others our own experience with vision. One can say: "This is blue color", but at the same time we don't know how other people see blue. One would need to become the eyes of another to obtain his or her experience.

Another example. Suppose that someone tells a story about eating an unusual fruit:
This is a brownish-purple fruit the size of a tangerine. It has thick rind that must be peeled off. Inside, it has slices just like a mandarin (looks more like garlic cloves). These slices are slippery and just jump out of the hands. Some slices may have a pit. This fruit has a sweet and sour taste. The taste is difficult to compare with any fruit that grows locally.

As a result of such "transfer of experience" (being told about it), no one will actually experience the taste of this fruit. One will only obtain the knowledge that such fruit exists and information about its general qualities and appearance.

Experience is personal apprehension, perception done through all of one's senses, own internal assessment.

The meaning of word "experience" in Socionics is different from the commonly used and understood meaning: "The combination of knowledge, skills, abilities, acquired from life, practical activities, etc." [4].

In common usage, it can be said that "experience passes from generation to generation." However, what is actually transferred between generations is knowledge, which in Socionics terms most closely correspond to the dimension "norm."

Experience, in Socionics terms, is impossible to transfer, just as much as one cannot pass one's own perceptions and sensations.

Given that PoLR is a one-dimensional function, the individual often lacks experience in this area of life since they ignore any input they get on it, and usually try to protect themselves in one way or another since pressure on this function can be very painful. They may detach, minimize the necessity of the function, or perhaps try to approach it in another way that is more natural to them. Abuse - specially intentional - is "treating a person with cruelty or violence, especially regularly or repeatedly."

A person may be abused such that, they have new incoming information based on the parameter experience, and it is severely psychologically (or in some cases physically) damaging, causing stress, and even trauma. Some may have long term effects after being exposed to repeated cruelty and abuse. Since the PoLR is a very vulnerable and naive place for anyone, support is extremely crucial. People who are isolated somehow may be specially vulnerable to predators and such who might want to do something like this. When taken in through the parameter of experience, that information is assimilated and considered to be "how this function manifests in reality." Abuse is effectively rendered "normal"; specially in case of lack of insight from someone who knows better. This will lead to further psychological scarring/trauma, which may result in things like nightmares, hypervigilance, constantly racing heartbeat, unable to face triggers, etc. Since trauma causes all this raw material to fester inside you...it is like your insides have been ripped out, and you are lying there unable to piece together what the hell is happening. Support is extremely crucial, minimization of something like this will cause further harm.

Since one-dimensional functions are invariant with respect to norms, situation and time parameters, information processing by these functions possesses a nature that is personal, idiosyncratic, sometimes inadequate (from the point of view of the observer). The person himself, issuing a response on a one-dimensional function, may not even suspect that there is something "wrong", because he doesn't have a tool to make a comparison (norms).

So, basically, I think that PoLR can be specially susceptible to abuse, only because of the relative lack of experience in this realm, and being unable to realize when something is wrong or too much, specially if the abuser insists that they are in the right. This can also lead to vulnerability to further mistreatment by others, or even abuse. For example, as Se PoLR individual is usually treated with kindness by most people, they try not to put pressure on him since they realize this is unpleasant for him. He may go through trauma where he verbally and psychologically attacked, abused, denigrated, insulted, scarred, bullied, perhaps repeatedly, and his experiences minimized. He is unable to piece together what is happening, and believes it is not trauma since he is being gaslit into believing so. He will start to believe that any kind of "force" is done in a similar way, with similar level of malice, cruelty, and hostility. This is partly because the trauma is unintegrated, and so he sees it everywhere; but this is also because he could not possibly know that this is not supposed to be like this (due to the limitation of the one-dimensional parameter of experience). This may also make him vulnerable to further attacks from other Se users who might misunderstand him, and think he is intentionally attacking people, and he may experience relationship issues (friends, family, romantic) etc.

I know this is a very complex topic but hopefully that is clear enough to understand, haha.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Note: I am only speaking of PoLR in context of abuse; I do not mean to imply that any situation that involves the PoLR is automatically about abuse.

I would also like to add that in my experience there is naiveté and innocence in the realm of the PoLR. For example, an Se PoLR may not be aware of the games people play to gain advantage, further themselves; and as such will not be able to see that, and will consider people honest and straightforward without any intentions or motives towards gaining power. An Fi PoLR may be vulnerable to excessively or undeserved harsh criticism, since Fi is vulnerable and PoLR for them, and they may have difficulty understanding that this is not something they deserve. Those are just some examples, but hopefully that clears up what I meant.

Taking this further, I would like to bring in the theory of dimensions. Your PoLR (along with your suggestive function), is one dimensional. As stated in the first excerpt, you are receptive to your suggestive function, but not receptive to pressure on your PoLR, since this is perceived as painful.

Given that PoLR is a one-dimensional function, the individual often lacks experience in this area of life since they ignore any input they get on it, and usually try to protect themselves in one way or another since pressure on this function can be very painful. They may detach, minimize the necessity of the function, or perhaps try to approach it in another way that is more natural to them. Abuse - specially intentional - is "treating a person with cruelty or violence, especially regularly or repeatedly."

A person may be abused such that, they have new incoming information based on the parameter experience, and it is severely psychologically (or in some cases physically) damaging, causing stress, and even trauma. Some may have long term effects after being exposed to repeated cruelty and abuse. Since the PoLR is a very vulnerable and naive place for anyone, support is extremely crucial. People who are isolated somehow may be specially vulnerable to predators and such who might want to do something like this. When taken in through the parameter of experience, that information is assimilated and considered to be "how this function manifests in reality." Abuse is effectively rendered "normal"; specially in case of lack of insight from someone who knows better. This will lead to further psychological scarring/trauma, which may result in things like nightmares, hypervigilance, constantly racing heartbeat, unable to face triggers, etc. Since trauma causes all this raw material to fester inside you...it is like your insides have been ripped out, and you are lying there unable to piece together what the hell is happening. Support is extremely crucial, minimization of something like this will cause further harm.

So, basically, I think that PoLR can be specially susceptible to abuse, only because of the relative lack of experience in this realm, and being unable to realize when something is wrong or too much, specially if the abuser insists that they are in the right. This can also lead to vulnerability to further mistreatment by others, or even abuse. For example, as Se PoLR individual is usually treated with kindness by most people, they try not to put pressure on him since they realize this is unpleasant for him. He may go through trauma where he verbally and psychologically attacked, abused, denigrated, insulted, scarred, bullied, perhaps repeatedly, and his experiences minimized. He is unable to piece together what is happening, and believes it is not trauma since he is being gaslit into believing so. He will start to believe that any kind of "force" is done in a similar way, with similar level of malice, cruelty, and hostility. This is partly because the trauma is unintegrated, and so he sees it everywhere; but this is also because he could not possibly know that this is not supposed to be like this (due to the limitation of the one-dimensional parameter of experience). This may also make him vulnerable to further attacks from other Se users who might misunderstand him, and think he is intentionally attacking people, and he may experience relationship issues (friends, family, romantic) etc.

I know this is a very complex topic but hopefully that is clear enough to understand, haha.

Do you have examples of how poLr would manifest for the other six functions, similar to how you described Se and Fi poLr?

I find the concept makes sense, and agree every individual has areas of naivete. What we are vulnerable to or weaker at - or things far removed from our normal cognition or way of seeing the world - will be target areas or areas susceptible to abuse or second guessing/doubt/losing sense of self or inability to grasp what's going on.

Venus Rose

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Do you have examples of how poLr would manifest for the other six functions, similar to how you described Se and Fi poLr?

I find the concept makes sense, and agree every individual has areas of naivete. What we are vulnerable to or weaker at - or things far removed from our normal cognition or way of seeing the world - will be target areas or areas susceptible to abuse or second guessing/doubt/losing sense of self or inability to grasp what's going on.

EDIT: This accurately sums up my attitude towards Se lol:
1D suggestive (experience): Tea? Who said tea? I love tea!!! My mommy used to make me tea. Where’s my mommy? Are you my mommy? *creeps everybody out*
1D PoLR (experience): *disgustedly* Tea? Meh. I don’t want to have anything to do with the tea. Tea is not my cup of… whatever. *walks into the jungle as far away as possible from the crazy people who make tea. Got stung by the mutant wasp, whose sting, by bad luck, was filled with tea-venom*.

Here are some articles on PoLR:
Socionics - the16types.info - The Hidden Agenda and Point of Least Resistance (PoLR)
PoLR Descriptions
Figuring out dimensionality, weak functions and associated fears.

Mole

Permabanned

Yes, power can come out of the barrel of a gun, or in the abusive training of children, or in denying women the vote, or in making women do unpaid emotional work. In prosperous democratic societies we don't use the gun for social control, or abuse children, and women have gained the vote, so largely we use PoLR for social control and making women do unpaid emotional work.

And the point of least resistance is our emotions. And so we are controlled by emotional abuse. It is cheap and effective, it operates under the radar, and if we complain it gets worse, and does long term emotional damage.

Shadow Play

Yes, power can come out of the barrel of a gun, or in the abusive training of children, or in denying women the vote, or in making women do unpaid emotional work. In prosperous democratic societies we don't use the gun for social control, or abuse children, and women have gained the vote, so largely we use PoLR for social control and making women do unpaid emotional work.

And the point of least resistance is our emotions. And so we are controlled by emotional abuse. It is cheap and effective, it operates under the radar, and if we complain it gets worse, and does long term emotional damage.

Mole, do you actually know how PoLR is defined in Socionics, or are you just derailing yet another thread to pontificate about how The Man is keeping us down?