User Tag List

First 12

Thread: Hello Everyone

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Drapeaux View Post
    Where are you from? Your English is very good.

I think type can influence manifestation of the mental illness in question, though I think that for things like mood disorders, all types are equally likely to get them, since any personality type can and does experience faulty brain chemistry. So for example, all types may be equally likely to get ADHD, but intuitives would be more likely to express Inattentive ADHD while sensors would be more likely to express the Hyperactive-Impulsive subset of the disorder. Maybe a depressed NT retreats into themselves and intellectualizes while depressed NFs spend a lot of time ruminating and moping. Depressed SPs might be more prone to passively suicidal risk-taking behaviour and nihilism, and depressed SFJs might seek comfort and do things like overeat to cope with feelings.

When it comes to personality disorders, I think those can be more directly correlated to specific types, since there is a similarity between MBTI types in low levels of health and the criteria for things like Narcissistic, Borderline, and Histrionic Personality Disorder.
    I'm from Czech Republic (Europe). And you?

What about depressed STs? Do they act more like SPs or similarly like NTs? I would guess (according to my observation) that the second option is more probable.

And what about personality disorders? Can you tell which one is typical for each type? Again, according to my observation (I must add, I'm not a proffesional, just a fan of MBTI), it seems that there are many narcissist among STs and NTs. I know some people with histrionic traits and all are SFs. I'm not sure if I can tell more about borderlines (or people with that traits), because I probably don't know about any... I would expect them among SPs and NPs.
    Just thinking, maybe I'm completely wrong.

MBTI
    isfj

Quote Originally Posted by Starling View Post
    I'm from Czech Republic (Europe). And you?

What about depressed STs? Do they act more like SPs or similarly like NTs? I would guess (according to my observation) that the second option is more probable.

And what about personality disorders? Can you tell which one is typical for each type? Again, according to my observation (I must add, I'm not a proffesional, just a fan of MBTI), it seems that there are many narcissist among STs and NTs. I know some people with histrionic traits and all are SFs. I'm not sure if I can tell more about borderlines (or people with that traits), because I probably don't know about any... I would expect them among SPs and NPs.
    Just thinking, maybe I'm completely wrong.
    I'm from the United States.

I'd say that depressed STPs tend to act more like SPs and depressed STJs tend to act more like NTs, though obviously that's roughly speaking and not accounting for individual variance.

When it comes to personality disorders, I can make some correlations based off descriptive traits and behaviours listed in the DSM compared to traits and behaviours associated with type at low levels of health, but I just want to reiterate that I'm not trying to paint all people of a type with one brush or say even the majority of a type would have that disorder. Personality disorders are very rare pathologies.

Paranoid (ESTP, ISTP)
    Schizoid (INTJ, INTP)
    Schizotypal (INFJ, INFP)
    Borderline (ESFP, ENFJ)
    Histrionic (ESFJ, ENFJ)
    Narcissistic (ENTJ, ESTJ)
    Avoidant (ISFP, INFP)
    Dependent (ISFJ)
    Obsessive-Compulsive (ISTJ, ESTJ)

Quintessence of Wrath Exolvuntur's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    514 sp/so
    Socionics
    ILI Te

Quote Originally Posted by Drapeaux View Post
    Where are you from? Your English is very good.

I think type can influence manifestation of the mental illness in question, though I think that for things like mood disorders, all types are equally likely to get them, since any personality type can and does experience faulty brain chemistry. So for example, all types may be equally likely to get ADHD, but intuitives would be more likely to express Inattentive ADHD while sensors would be more likely to express the Hyperactive-Impulsive subset of the disorder. Maybe a depressed NT retreats into themselves and intellectualizes while depressed NFs spend a lot of time ruminating and moping. Depressed SPs might be more prone to passively suicidal risk-taking behaviour and nihilism, and depressed SFJs might seek comfort and do things like overeat to cope with feelings.

When it comes to personality disorders, I think those can be more directly correlated to specific types, since there is a similarity between MBTI types in low levels of health and the criteria for things like Narcissistic, Borderline, and Histrionic Personality Disorder.
    Interesting theory you have here, and I can see it being a thing.
    Johari | Nohari - 5w4|1w9|4w5 PolR Fe
    Lawful Evil

"Welcome to the world, where being yourself isn't enough."

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w5 so
    Socionics
    EII Fi

Hello and welcome! I don't have much to add to the validity of MBTI discussion, I take it with a grain of salt as much as with any personality typing system, but it is still fun to see how different people interpret it and utilize it, themselves.