5w4,4w5,1

The Researcher

MBTI
    SINE

I C

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Play
    If by "best," you mean "best methods at producing ridicule," then yes, you are correct. "Oh look, someone has a goofy look when they smile, therefore they're ENFP!" "Hmmm, someone seems to be hesitating before they speak for some reason, could it be that they use Ti?"
    Ok, so it's not your thing. You don't understand it and I don't get the impression that you want to. It's a lot more powerful of a tool than you're giving it credit for.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by hurl3y4456 View Post
    I haven't read much into Jung's work, so I'll need to get his perspective regarding the functions to further my understanding (if I choose to accept it).
    Now, I agree typing based on mannerisms would not be very accurate, if at all since there's large variation regarding how each function manifests and the ratios at which each function is expressed. Certain mannerisms may dictate certain behavior at the extremes (very high Ti, Ni, exc), however, the interplay between each function causes a masking effect. Saying "umm" a lot may indicate insecurity/lack of confidence or unpreparedness during speeches, but it also could imply someone needs time to coalesce their thoughts together (introversion). It could also be related to processing speed or become a habit (speech pattern).

Regarding smiling and Fe/Fi usage, I'd say that for high Ti users, Fe is childlike (harder to control)....thus, it tends to be spontaneous, reactive, and impulsive....similar to a sine function with high amplitude where the y axis denotes the magnitude of emotion and x axis corresponds to frequency....Although emotional frequency will be event dependent and hence, will change. Since the emotion is harder to control, the frequency of occurrence should be reduced....High Fi users will have a firm grasp of emotional input/output and tend to be reclusive in terms of expressing it to others unless the person knows them well (trusted)....Since they internalize their emotions (meaning the energy derived from an emotional response is extended beyond the surface), it will most likely take them longer to recover from an emotional event. I am an Fe user who is sensitive to the negative emotions of others....Their emotions seem to translate within me and cause a negative reaction (externally derived).

Exhibiting gestures (in general) is related to external energy and emotion, so someone who is an extrovert with higher feeling functions may have a higher probability of using them, however, it's not fully definitive. It could also be related to well being, which is dependent on health/hormones or even related to neurotransmitter output....Perhaps someone with higher serotonin output smiles more frequently (makes sense logically). I have noticed that I joke around more freely when I intake a lot of sugar or alcohol, which both stimulate a temporary neurotransmitter response. Since smiling pattern is a function of muscle contraction/retraction and hormones dictate fat/muscle ratio, it will follow that there will exist a relationship between smiling and gender. Muscle adds tension (promoting more resistance + mass per unit volume), which requires more force to initiate upward movement. Of course, the effect of gravity and age over time will exemplify this effect as well. I've seen the video on "Fe vs Fi smiling" and I think there's too many variables that come into play to relate such functions in a 1-1 manner.
    I differentiate between expressiveness in general and specific mannerisms. Both extraverts and introverts can be expressive in certain contexts, but an introvert will generally keep more of themselves guarded unless something triggers a particular response. By that, I mean that an extravert would be less self-conscious about laughing, telling stories, and cracking jokes around people they've just met, while an introvert wouldn't fully open up around themselves unless they've had some time to get to know the other person.

I think of mannerisms as the way in which a person is expressive whenever they do express themselves, and these are things not particular to any type. Introverts can gesticulate a lot if they're locked in on whatever idea or story they're sharing. Plenty of extraverts use sentence fillers such as "umm," "well," and "like" in conversations. You said "saying "umm" a lot may indicate insecurity/lack of confidence or unpreparedness during speeches, but it also could imply someone needs time to coalesce their thoughts together (introversion)." While there's some truth to that, I could also argue that extraverts use sentence fillers because they need to speak to keep their thoughts stimulated. Filler words enable them to keep up the momentum when speaking. This goes to show that one can extrapolate any underlying idea behind any mannerism if they so wished.