User Tag List

Default Which function is able to make predictions well?

I've always enjoyed searching for patterns, whether it be in Mathematics, Psychology, Physiology, exc. I wrote a book called "Modern Adaptation," which is based on how we will adapt to future technological advance. I wrote the following in reference to the communication gap present between generations..." Hypothetically speaking, suppose we are introduced in an entirely new generation ahead of our time at an early stage in our life." Then our identity would be molded in such a way that any environmental influence would mask our previous identity. Also, suppose that the change between generations was so great that daily activities are distinct. Since transportation is more advanced over time, our area of observation is larger and more complicated from the viewpoint of the future generation. Thus, our worldly viewpoint in respect to the future generation will not coincide with the past generation, which means a communication gap will exist."Basically, within the book, I tried to extrapolate from current trends to predict the effect of a transient change in environment on human interaction, exc. Also, there's some female at work who I haven't associated with much. I've observed her behavioral patterns and tried to predict her career choice. I asked someone whether she was an "accountant", and his reply was "yes, but how did you know?" I mainly figured it out by understanding the environmental effect of being an accountant on behavior traits. I tend to believe that I have dominant Si, although, I am oblivious to my environment. It seems a fair attention to detail is required to make certain predictions. If I do use intuition, it occurs in an "aha moment." For instance, I was travelling to some location for work and had to pull an all nighter...I noticed that I started getting very tired around a specific time. I kept working and become more fatigued until eventually it waned off around the time I typically wake up... It then hit me that my body was trying to force myself to sleep due to adapting to my sleeping patterns, which would keep me within an equilibrium state....meaning my body resisted the need to readjust to new circumstances, which would throw it off.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    946 sx
    Socionics
    IEI None

Ni. What you described about your coworker is also Ni.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Ni and Ne.

I think Ne is better at predicting things in the short term and Ni is better at predicting things in the long run.

Using myself as an example, I predicted mobile phones will have serious problems with malware fifteen years ago. Sooner or later it will happen. I'm not as good at predicting when things will happen.

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639
    Likes Norexan liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by highlander View Post
    Ni and Ne.

I think Ne is better at predicting things in the short term and Ni is better at predicting things in the long run.

Using myself as an example, I predicted mobile phones will have serious problems with malware fifteen years ago. Sooner or later it will happen. I'm not as good at predicting when things will happen.
    I have an ENTJ friend who has a remarkable ability to predict where actions x1,x2,....,xn will direct him. Then he assumes which case is most likely to lead to success. it's analogous to a chess game where you need to decide the best move out of all the possible options within the mind. I can make predictions in movies like if someone will die or a conceptual prediction relating to research (how the data will look before it is acquired). I rely on this when writing technical reports for research,however, my issue is not providing references. I tend to infer everything from the results alone, which results in a lower quality paper since reviewers need validation. Now, someone who uses Ni or Ne for creative outlets requires the constant flux of ideas, concepts, exc to stimulate their well-being as a consequence of the Coolidge Effect. Therefore, it is likely that those with higher Ni/Ne will have more suppression in neurotransmitter output as there is a connection between the two. Hence, constant stimulus is necessary.

Dream without Hesitation Dreamer's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 so/sx
    Socionics
    IEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by hurl3y4456 View Post
    I have an ENTJ friend who has a remarkable ability to predict where actions x1,x2,....,xn will direct him. Then he assumes which case is most likely to lead to success. it's analogous to a chess game where you need to decide the best move out of all the possible options within the mind. I can make predictions in movies like if someone will die or a conceptual prediction relating to research (how the data will look before it is acquired). I rely on this when writing technical reports for research,however, my issue is not providing references. I tend to infer everything from the results alone, which results in a lower quality paper since reviewers need validation. Now, someone who uses Ni or Ne for creative outlets requires the constant flux of ideas, concepts, exc to stimulate their well-being as a consequence of the Coolidge Effect. Therefore, it is likely that those with higher Ni/Ne will have more suppression in neurotransmitter output as there is a connection between the two. Hence, constant stimulus is necessary.
    My brain is partially dead atm from a long day’s work so I’m not sure what you said before the bolded part, but I do have ADHD and find that I absolutely need that constant external stimulation, while I also use Ne frequently for creative pursuits. I actually work in a creative industry in fact
    The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams
    -Eleanor Roosevelt

~Always, an Enthusiastic_Dreamer

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

I have wondered which is more useful - Ne or Ni from a prediction standpoint. I think ENTPs for example can be extremely gifted at seizing opportunities from an entrepreneurial standpoint because they see all those dots connecting and it's a bit more connected to reality than Ni doms.

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

Quote Originally Posted by highlander View Post
    I have wondered which is more useful - Ne or Ni from a prediction standpoint. I think ENTPs for example can be extremely gifted at seizing opportunities from an entrepreneurial standpoint because they see all those dots connecting and it's a bit more connected to reality than Ni doms.
    To me, the main distinction between 1st and 2nd order Ne is their affinity for a particular path. If Ne represents a path, then each road will split into multiple paths....the more interesting the path, the higher the affinity/attraction toward it. Hence, 1st order Ne is a short fused function. On the other hand, 2nd order Ne will be influenced by the dominant function, say Ti (INTP). There will still exists branching from each path, however, the branches will be less extensive and each path will be longer (because Ti facilitates the development of an idea through a mental framework). Ni can be a more complicated function to understand...For one, someone who uses Ni in 1st or 2nd order ponders/thinks deeply about hidden meanings or tries to tackle a concept to its core. Over time, the subconscious mind holds compiles these thoughts until enough information has been gathered to create an instantaneous firing of neurons, which propagates one to arrive at a conclusion without considering the necessary steps. The steps were already brewing over time until peak saturation, where the underlying concept coalesces as a whole in the midst of each element. Thus, Ni users have potential to make predictions of events given that they have accumulated enough external data for the mind to reach the point of saturation. Ne is a rapid firing function that is constantly making connections on the go, however, it won't delve as deep as Ni.
    Likes AStrange~Nostalgia liked this post