User Tag List

First 567

phallus impudicus Peter Deadpan's Avatar

Cultivate an internal passion for yourself and build a future around that. Focus on character, discipline, and where you want to be at 50, should you make it that far.
    Likes Abcdenfp liked this post

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7W8

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Deadpan View Post
    Cultivate an internal passion for yourself and build a future around that. Focus on character, discipline, and where you want to be at 50, should you make it that far.
    I have also always believed that, Ive seen people who build their passions around a job that is reliant on others and when they are forced to retire they cant figure out what to do. The job I do now is in an effort to support my writing dreams and hope of fixing up my apartment. But I feed my passions regularly learning to master them so that later on in life they sustain me. I followed one of my passions into my little restaurant and it almost ruined me financially. Was it worth is YES, i learned so much. The thing i keep reminding myself is that we are here for such a short time. If you wanna do it do it. How you follow your passion is totally individualistic I've just found this method works best for me
    "I have spoken."
    Likes Peter Deadpan liked this post

it's great when your passion is something useful to society
    "Life is 10% what happens to u and 90% how you react to it." nc entj

I think it's a useless advice. There are people whose passion is playing video games, but there are only so many competitive players in the world who can actually make a living out of it. The reality is that everybody has to make do with circumstances to make a living. Following your passion is for the privileged and lucky few.
    Likes awbro liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by agentwashington View Post
    I think it's a useless advice. There are people whose passion is playing video games, but there are only so many competitive players in the world who can actually make a living out of it. The reality is that everybody has to make do with circumstances to make a living. Following your passion is for the privileged and lucky few.
    I think there's some truth in what you are saying, its probably a useful question to ask as to why its the preserve of the few and if that's such a good idea and also why is advice frequently dispensed in that way which does not account for how it is likely to be possible for the precious few.

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    I think there's some truth in what you are saying, its probably a useful question to ask as to why its the preserve of the few and if that's such a good idea and also why is advice frequently dispensed in that way which does not account for how it is likely to be possible for the precious few.
    I think it's the preserve of the few who are either a) very lucky, b) have resources (including social capital) to develop their passions, c) don't need to make a living off their passions.

My dream is to become a professor one day, but to do that I would have to get a PhD. The problem with getting a PhD is that you need money to pay for school fees (existing resources) - either that or find funding (luck or social capital). The world isn't meritocratic, because if it were solely based off qualifications I have no doubt that I could achieve the dream.

I suspect the reason it's given as an advice which doesn't take into consideration all of these is because it comes from the privileged few. One of the ways I've seen privilege defined as is something that a person doesn't need to think about, because they don't lack it, so they don't have to think about it. They do put in hard work to make it that far, so they assume that it is all because of their hard work, when in truth it requires something more than hard work. That's my guess, anyway.